568 Sacramento Street
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.wexlerssf.com/
- Phone: 4159830102
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; We offer a limited number of lunch reservations, the rest is first come, first serve. Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 2:30pm - 6:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Charlie Kleinman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Matthew Wexler (415) 983-0102
- Special Events: We are able to create a custom special evening for and your guests.
A word from Wexler's
Wexler's serves a delicious menu of New American BBQ in an intimate, rustic-chic spot situated in the city's Financial District. Using a California farm to table approach, Executive Chef Charlie Kleinman puts a tasty new spin on tradition by pulling inspiration from various regional BBQ styles and creating unique new dishes using California's bounty of fresh, artisanal ingredients. You will find smoked meats flavored with house made dry rubs alongside dishes driven by the freshest produce Chef Kleinman can find. From smoking our own chilies to making our own onion powder, Wexler's is committed to using and creating the best ingredients. A strong lineup of American beverages (American cocktails, beer, and wine) complement the flavors of the food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Wexler's reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)neighborhood gem (21)great for lunch (16)special occasion (13)romantic (9)good for groups (7)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- mediocreSuzlCDined on 8/18/2014The hype does not pay off frankly. Maybe once in the past.Special Features:
- cute and cosynelcDined on 8/5/2014A boutique little gem offering gourmet food in a chilled setting with perfect service. Something for everyone and the food is divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre-theater dinnerreviewerDined on 8/2/2014Chose Wexler's for a pre-theater dinner -- we would definitely go back. We started with splitting a nice, fresh salad. I had the chicken, absolutely delicious -- very tasty, perfectly cooked. Pork special was also very good. Wait staff was attentive, but not overly so. Ended the dinner with French press coffee and warm peach pie. Really, really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBQ it upOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I had to two different BBQ options and enjoyed them both (short ribs and pork plate). We really Enjoyed the favors. The real star for me was dessert-roasted peach pie. Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real findNyroseDined on 8/1/2014The food was delicious, unique and impeccably prepared. every bite was excellent. I had the plate of pork and the pork loin was very moist and tender. The ribs we're some of the best I ever had and the grits... Yum. Don't skip dessert. the pies were light, not too sweet and had great flavor. at least share a piece for the table!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Service was outstanding. Very warm without being intrusive. My daughter ordered a salad and I was brought a plate to share without having to ask. Food was delicious! Salad was crisp and cold, dressing perfectly balanced. Very tender smoky short ribs over snap peas and wonderful mashed potatoes. Pickled carrots in top a nice pop of flavor. Other entree was vegetarian: whole smoked eggplant with farro. Was very good. Finished with banana cream pie. Generous portion and very fresh tasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a barbecue restaurantFoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014It seemed that half of the menu on their website was not actually available in the restaurant but perhaps that was a good thing since the food was not that impressive. There was nothing barbecue about the smoked short rib - very little sauce and pretentious "mashed potatoes", more like a puree. We also ordered the smoked salmon, again not a hint of smoke, it was actually served raw. The portions were very small for the price paid. Moreover, the desserts were just awful. I was really excited for the banana cream pie but it was saltier than the main courses. We also tried the grasshopper pie, which tasted vaguely of fennel. If you want an intimate experience, this is the place for you; the tables are very close together. I won't be back.
- Just a great place to eat..KevinVIPDined on 7/8/2014The food is always very good, and you will not find a better Banana Cream Pie in town. The wait staff is also very fun and friendly which adds to the enjoyable dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/8/2014What a great little place! The small menu made me nervous, but everything was so good. It was the quality of the food. Every single thing was great. We had the salmon and the Plate of Pork...seriously wonderful. Service was good too. Did feel rushed or ignored. Just a couple of people running the place and did it very well. I love finding nice surprises like this. I'll go back. Pie was good too!Special Features:
- Wexler is a gemMikeSFVIPDined on 7/3/2014We've been several times and have never been disappointed. The food is innovative barbecue which is a sort of best blend of both. Berbecue without grease and sloppy sauce (nothing generally wrong with that though!) and innovation without being precious (there is something wrong with precious food!). Service is attentive and professional. Oh, and they serve a very decent drink.Special Features:
- Perfect dinnerClimbingchrisDined on 6/25/2014I had a great first time experience at Wexler's on a romantic date. Everything was well-executed and presented beautifully. The server was gracious and personable. Overall I found Wexler's to be a great value given the quality of the drinks, food and service. The intimate atmosphere (smaller dining room) made this an ideal date location, although I could imagine that it would be a lot noisier/busier on Fridays /Saturdays nights. I look forward to going back to try the other entrees - we had the halibut and chicken breast, which were both great.Special Features:
- We'll be back...HarveyClanVIPDined on 6/7/2014This was our second experience at Wexler's and once again, it did not disappoint! We brought friends who also added Wexler's to their "best of" list!Special Features:
- Good lunch optionAnonymousVIPDined on 5/22/2014Good lunch options and small plates. Nice presentation. A bit of a hipster crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised - In a Great Way!SFoodDined on 5/20/2014I made a reservation needing somewhere near work and last minute. Given the general bar for a restaurant to survive in this city I knew the food would be fine, but we were pleasantly surprised - it's definitely somewhere we'd go back to! The pork chop was unbelievable! It definitely to deserves to be more crowded than it was the night we were there. The only downside for me was the décor - it was a bit too cold/sparse and industrial for my taste, especially given that their food felt like upscale comfort food (homemade pie and BBQ).Special Features:
- The following 511 reviews are from the Wexler's reviews archive.
- Great for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/29/2014Perfect sandwich to keep you going for the rest of the workday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Long WaitNM20104Dined on 4/29/2014I'm a big fan of Wexler's -- and so are a lot of people. Why? The food is GREAT and the ambiance is very cool. But because it's so popular, there are decent wait times to get a table (even if you have a reservation). And the food comes out pretty slowly. Worth the wait, but something to be mindful of when heading here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/24/2014Went for lunch and the ambiance and food was great, but it was way too loud to have a conversation. Very full crowd for lunch time so I can't say if the loudness was due to bad acoustics of the establishment or too many loud talkers. I can say is that I wasn't able to hear my neighbors and we were intimately sat. Had the flounder sandwich and nothing spectacular. Fish was bread and deep fried, but was bland. Sauce on the bread was good. The cabbage cole slaw was on of the best I had!Special Features:
- wild flounder sandwich*****quietdinerVIPDined on 4/23/2014Great fish sandwich-interesting menu but I keep going back to the great wild flounder sandwich.Special Features:
- We had the po boy and theLPBzyDined on 4/11/2014We had the po boy and the chicken-fried portobello sandwiches. Both were amazing. Nice place for a late lunch to catch up with a friend. I'll be back.Special Features:
- We had a good table, nearLindaDined on 3/27/2014We had a good table, near the door, with no one on one side of us. We started with Shrimp Hushpuppies and Scotch Eggs. As usual, the food here is beautifully prepared with utmost care given to taste and balance. We were delighted with the starters. Main: Plate of Pork and Green Olive Crusted Black Cod. The pork turned out to be a beautiful rib chop on a bed of pearl barley. Cod was served on a bed of melted cabbage. Both main courses were cooked perfectly and the portion size was just right. Everything we had was underplayed with a lovely smoky flavor. But we decided to go elsewhere for dessert. One caution: when someone asks you to make a specific drink, don't "fix it", just fix it. Overall, a wonderful evening (in spite of noise level)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than Expected!madisonDined on 3/22/2014We were going to a nearby comedy club and searched for a restaurant nearby. Little did we know how fantastic Wexler's would be! It's small with contemporary décor. The staff was friendly, attentive and fun. We had the Scotch egg appetizer and really liked it. But the main courses were truly spectacular. The menu changes, but we had the smoked chicken and pork chop. Both were over top fantastic! After the show, we returned for dessert and were still delighted with our choices. We had the bourbon banana pie and the pumpkin toffee pie. The staff immediately recognized us when we came back and treated us super well. We hope to visit SF again before too long and will definitely go back to Wexlers!Special Features:
- Great lunchSaylorsVIPDined on 3/17/2014Wexlers has the most amazing vegetarian food, which is pretty unusual for a BBQ joint! Had a lovely work lunch there, the food was delicious and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We all loved our appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/8/2014We all loved our appetizers (the scotch eggs are divine, salads flavorful) and main courses -- the pork plate was a big hit, succulent and smoky. The kitchen's fish dishes are also excellent. The bartender's hand is subtle and skilled; my rolls royce was delicious. The desserts could use some work. The bourbon banana cream pie has no custard, just whipped cream and bananas with a little caramel on top, and no one could taste the bourbon. I loved the port-soaked cherries on my chocolate-smoked chili pie, but it was pretty much a slab of chocolate mousse. Delicious, but again, no one could taste the smoked chili. The excellent service was appreciated, with my mother's request for a substitution honored and responsive, friendly staff.Special Features:
- very cold atmosphereErikaVIPDined on 3/7/2014We went there after watching "Check please" so we ordered cocktels, one was good and one was OK, we started talking to the owner who did not seem to want to talk to us and left. The watress was not in the warm mood, the food was supposed to be creative, but we can get this kind of food anywhere. Short ribs were tender but dry. Polk special was good. Dessert was very good. we will not go back, and we do not recommend this place. the tow big table were located by the door and we kept our jackets throughout our meal.
- FOOD IS TERRIBLE & THIS RESTAURANTOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/4/2014FOOD IS TERRIBLE & THIS RESTAURANT HAS FOR SURE LOST ITS PASSION.
- Tasty sandwiches in fin'l districtJohorVIPDined on 2/24/2014Interesting spot for mid-week lunch in financial district. My group was seated at a table by the front that felt more connected with the street through the open door than the rest of the restaurant. Brussels Sprout sandwich a welcome creative touch. A bit nicer and pricier than other options in the area but would need to return before recommending.Special Features:
- Not bad but not what we expectedNorCalDinersDined on 2/22/2014Very small inside and the tables are too close. Friendly service, dull atmosphere but the food was tasty. Not a BBQ place for the picky eaters or one looking for comfort food. As for the drinks you will not be disappointed :)Special Features:
- Trying a new twist on BBQSunnyfoodieDined on 2/11/2014Wexler's has comfortable romantic lighting and interesting art but not intimate for a couple on there first date -dining area is small and narrow. I would go back because of the dishes. We shared the ribs and salad and the wait staff was generous to split the portions on separate plates. The food was great, the mash potatoes were amazing, I kinda wanted more. We had to ask for bread and I'm glad I did because it went well with soaking up the juice on my plate. Drinks were both extremely experimental, gin and vodkas combined with smokey flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All six of our party reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/1/2014All six of our party really enjoyed our dinner at Wexler's. We loved to talk and linger at our meal, and the staff was exceptional in being attentive and seeming always to bring the next course when we were ready, never rushing us. Exceptional in the food and not to be missed were the bay shrimp hush puppies--perfectly spiced to hit the tongue in all the right places!--and the pear pie desert. While the short ribs didn't quite melt in your mouth (I've only experienced that once in my life), I also noted that everyone, including myself, cleaned their plate thoroughly! The mashed potatoes, vegetables, and sauce under the ribs tasted so good--again, exceptional spicing/flavor!Special Features:
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 2/1/2014Good food, good service. Tight, noisy quarters. Menu options are limited, pricey, and meat-centric. But food (and cocktails) quality is there and the service quite nice.
- Just rightkarlanresDined on 1/30/2014A fresh take on old favorites. The grits were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been to Wexlers manyBob68VIPDined on 1/24/2014We've been to Wexlers many times and are never disappointed. Owner Matthew Wexler runs the bar and produces wonderful cocktails. The chef produces delicious food, moderate portions so you don't overeat. Dessert was also fine, especially the "inside out" root beer float -- vanilla soda with root bear ice cream! The room is small and full, mostly a young crowd.Having worked for years a block away, and seen several restaurants come and go in this space (next door to now Wayfare Tavern, formerly Rubicon), it's great to see Wexler's success.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pulled Lamb SandwichOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/22/2014The pulled lamb sandwich was amazing! Second time I've been to Wexler's and both times was fantastic.Special Features:
- Noticed Wexlers on Check PleaseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014Noticed Wexlers on Check Please and had to tiy it out. Food was excellent, unordinary and reasonable. Ambience is our style of enjoying. Well be back.Special Features:
- Awesome dining placeLee01Dined on 1/14/2014If you want a place to enjoy some awesome food with wonderful atmosphere, go to Wexler's! The service was on point and the food was so delicious I would go back to enjoy some more "good eats".Special Features:
- Great Vesper Martinis & SmokeyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/3/2014Great Vesper Martinis & Smokey Manhattans. Hush puppies with shrimp were delicious. Short ribs were good...smoked cheddar grits were really good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Other better places nearbyFoodieVIPDined on 12/12/2013Took my hipster son and husband to lunch last week at Wexler's. It was an uneven and uneventful lunch. Our waitress was very disengaged and difficult to flag down. In a sea of great lunch places, we will not return.Special Features:
- One Awesome Pork Chop!blastreachDined on 12/11/2013I love to grill. I like to check out what other people and restaurants pull together. Wexler's has nailed it. Lightly smoked, perfectly cooked, sunchokes on the side, BAM! My wife's review of her dish was the same: the bomb. Our son had a hot dog. Not your average dog, mind you. I snuck a chip. Well, we battled for the rest of them. Light, flavorful, perfectly seasoned. Utter silence at the table for awhile (yes, with a 6-year old, silence). Because we were all so entranced with our foo. They have a food truck. We are going to follow it.Special Features:
- High hopesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/7/2013We were recommended this place by someone who made it seem awesome and unfortunately its only good in theory. The food was overall bland with the exception of the scotch egg. This type of food one expects big bold flavors that were missing.
- Favorite neighborhood placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/27/2013I love this place . Great food good price, and a friendly staff.Special Features: