Westend Bistro DC
1190 22nd Street NW
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Westend Bistro DC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.westendbistrodc.com/
- Phone: 2029745566x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday 5:30-10:00PM; Friday - Saturday 5:30-11:00PM; Open 7 nights a week (Cocktails, Happy Hour and Full Menu)
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30-2:30PM; CLOSED FOR HOLIDAYS
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Adam Barnett
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Westend Bistro DC
Welcome to Westend Bistro, an award-winning casual American bistro located in Washington, D.C.’s trendy West End. Chef de Cuisine Adam Bernett presents a straightforward menu of simple signature dishes inspired by family traditions and recipes. The focus is on the ingredients, culled from fresh, quality produce by local farmers in Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland. Westend Bistro offers a vibrant atmosphere with an extensive wine list and signature cocktails. Guests can indulge in lunch and dinner at the bar or in the stylish booths and banquettes throughout the dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Westend Bistro DC - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Westend Bistro DC reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (25)great for lunch (22)romantic (22)special occasion (22)great for outdoor dining (18)notable wine list (16)vibrant bar scene (15)good for groups (10)late-night find (8)hot spot (7)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Coming back for the duck!EllieVIPDined on 10/22/2014I've been a few times but tried the duck for the firs time recently. Absolutely amazing. I woke up the next morning thinking about the duck I'll definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodbobwVIPDined on 10/14/2014For many years, a go to place for me. Never disappoints.Special Features:
- Accommodating and Delicious!DCfoodluvrDined on 10/12/2014What we love most about Westend Bistro is the chef's dedication to purchasing local, farm-fresh foods, preparation without industrial seed oils and processed ingredients while maintaining a refined, exceptional menu. For those who enjoy great food prepared in a healthy way, terrific ambience and service in a prime location, try Westend Bistro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love west endRedxfanVIPDined on 10/9/2014friendly service - great food! Got the trout and it was very yummy.Special Features:
- Fish-Hamburger!AlbertoDDined on 10/5/2014Well, we went specifically to try the fish hamburger from this restaurant and it was so valuable the experience. And the portion of fries is good enough for three people!. Very good!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceFutureChefDined on 9/28/2014I took my wife there for our 2nd anniversary. Everything was quite perfect. We didn't hold back on drinks or menu items and left under $125. Portions were perfect. Instead of a lot of mediocre food, it was a small perfect portion of unbelievable flavor and presentation. They even provided us with a complimentary dessert that the chef wrote in chocolate "Happy Anniversary". Loved it and will definitely go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2014West End Bistro has consistently great food and great service. That is why we keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rlknpb50Dined on 9/27/2014Westend Bistro is always excellent. We go there often for different occasions, and take friends there when they are visiting. It is consistently good with outstanding service and a wonderful menu.Special Features:
- Good for grown-upsellenefrosVIPDined on 9/19/2014Not only is the food always good, as well as the service, but you actually can carry on a conversation without shouting! A plus for those of us who like excellent food, attentive service (without being buddies with the wait staff), and do not need the buzz of decibels of overwhelming noise. This restaurant is far too overlooked and the prices are more than fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delishdiner1Dined on 9/15/2014Wow, the Skate Wing was perfection and the for dessert, the Pina Colada sorbet left me with a smile on my face for the rest of the day!Special Features:
- Average at bestCnj54321VIPDined on 9/5/2014In the past had good experiences at West End but the past visit was very average. Steak was poorly cooked, too raw and cold, and fish sandwich was bland. Veggie side was mostly beans, which last I checked are not vegetables. Only highlight was garlic fries.
- FantasticAlexandraDined on 9/3/2014I took my friend here for his birthday dinner. The staff were courteous, personable, and very kind. The menu had a variety of choices and the ambiance was very calm in the section where they sat us. I think we may have been the last 2 in the restaurant, but the hours we spent laughing and eating were well worth every penny spent. I'm unaware of our servers name, but he was VERY very kind. I'd return and recommend 100 times over!Special Features:
- no titlenonicknameDined on 8/26/2014The taste of smoked beef was outstanding, BUT- the top of the piece of meat was burnt, the smell of burnt meat accompanied the plate when it arrived and I had to wait a few minutes for it to dissipate; also I had to cut and discard the top part of the meat. I didn't want to ruin the moment with my spouse by returning the dish to the kitchen, so I just accepted the dish as it was. It was a very pleasant surprise to be offered champagne because it was a special occasion for us, a birthday; thank you again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurant week mealfcmkDined on 8/17/2014Sunday night dinner with great service and great food. Mussels, cooked perfectly with proper broth. Star of the show was the gnocchi with spinach in them with corn and mushrooms and the best lemony hollandaise I have had, maybe ever. Dessert was nougat glace raspberry consommé, a classic in French cuisine (parfait)not often seen on menus here. The consommé was a delight and a good contrast to the richness of the parfait.Special Features:
- Limited Menu-Great Tastes!RBinDCDined on 8/16/2014Three of us had dinner on their outdoor sidewalk area during DC's Restaurant Week. We started by sharing one tuna carpaccio appetizer, which is the best that I had anywhere. It's a "must try" dish. We also had the mussels and the salad appetizers, both of which we're delicious. Two of us had the skate wing and the third had the trout. All were very tasty, though I would give the skate the edge. Typically I would choose the salmon but the restaurant serves farmed salmon, which I avoid. The number of choices on the menu is limited but glass. Before I forget. The restaurant offers a lot of wines by the glass. The white Burgundies are a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed during Restaurant WeekKatherineDined on 8/15/2014First let me say our waiter Juan and the host Diego were wonderful. The restaurant itself is cute and very close to our home. We made our reservations for restaurant week a month in advance. The mussels were over cooked to the point of mush, full of sand, and the sauce had no flavor (go to St Arnold's instead). The steak was tough and over salted (try Rays the steaks). The deserts were pretty & artisanal but tasted fake and too sugary (jaleo or zaytinya rock the small plates scene in dc). The "specially priced" bottles of wine for restaurant week was almost 3 times market price. The Bordeaux gave both me & my fiancée (avid wine drinkers) a hangover! Would not recommend & will not return. Take your money elsewhere!Special Features:
- Westend bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/13/2014We did the prix fixe restaurant week thing and the service was pretty abysmal, it took forever to get water or our food. Not to be repeated.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2014The service was good but very slow. We were on a work lunch during the week and it look forever for the food. Plus, once we had dessert you'd think they would bring the check, but we had to wait awhile after dessert was finished and only then they asked if we wanted the check, then we had to wait for the waiter to go get it. The menu had great options but the food was bland, this was the consensus from everyone at our table. Great atmosphere.
- Amazing Wine ListJohnVIPDined on 8/6/2014This restaurant has great food, great service and an amazing wine list! They have something like 50+ wines by the glass, and wines dating back to the 1970's by the glass that the sommelier Michael bought at auction through their Coravin system. We tried a couple of these in half glasses and were blown away. This is one of the best by the glass wine lists I've ever seen. Also, must try the Tuna Carpaccio, the Duck Breast and the NY Strip. Mussels are great too.Special Features:
- Still greatDinerxDined on 8/4/2014The skate was amazing! Great dinner! The tomato salad and the crab/watermelon salad were terrific and refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuciaDined on 8/1/2014Nice restaurant. Try to sit inside to avoid the noise from the traffic. Good service. Outside is pretty but the lighting is very low, so it's hard to read the menu or see your foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Entrees and Decent WinesNandFDined on 8/1/2014I had the opportunity to eat at Westend Bistro for both dinner and lunch over a two day period. Both meals were quite good. My husband ordered the skate for dinner and found it well prepared and an interesting offer on the menu. For those who have not tried it, the texture is a bit like firm crab claw meat with a mild flavor. I ordered the shrimp with grits and chorizo sausage. Delicious! We ordered a nice, dry Rose with dinner from Spain and the Sommelier made a point to come over to the table to talk about the wine based on his experience with an actual visit to the winery. The service was attentive but not over bearing. Overall, an enjoyable meal with good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service - Great Wine!JohnVIPDined on 7/29/2014My wife and I dined at Westend Bistro last night and had a great experience. Our server, Binyam, was incredibly friendly and fun. We were celebrating our first night free from the kids in some time and he made it very special. The Duck Breast was amazing and my wife's NY Strip was smoked and delicious. The sommelier had perfect pairings for the food, and was very respectful of our limited budget, and had a great magnum of wine by the glass.. Very cool! Overall, really great experience. Thank you Westend!Special Features:
- DeliciousBethHDined on 7/26/2014Our group ate at Westend to celebrate a bachelorette party. The staff at Westend Bistro was very attentive to our group of 12. Due to the large group, we had to take a reservation for 8:45. The restaurant was quiet and classy. The menu seemed slightly more limited than what I had seen on the website, but everyone in our group was able to find something delicious! Don't pass up the duck and make sure you get a side of macaroni and cheese. The location was perfect. It was a 10-15 minute walk to all the lively bars in Dupont.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidmikeDined on 7/25/2014Always solid service and food. Reception is friendly
- Consistent quality service and foodDCeaterVIPDined on 7/25/2014I often have lunch at Westend Bistro and I am always very happy with the service, quality and selection of food, and overall atmosphere. Staff go above and beyond to make you feel welcome, from the hostess to the person serving water. The menu has something for everyone and food is always fresh. I love the "light" dishes - allows you to eat out frequently without feeling guilty :)Special Features:
- Classy Dining at the RitzCamWasVIPDined on 7/19/2014Well executed cooking with outstanding fish and seafood. Shrimp and grits scored full marks from a fussy foodie in our party from South Carolina! Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food; lousy serviceBillVIPDined on 7/19/2014TYhe food was outstanding. But it was overcome by poor service. We arrived early for dinner (at 5:30), and the restaurant was empty. It didn't stop them from taking over 1 1/2 hours to wait on us, even after I had said to them that we had to make a show at 7:00 PM.
- AnniversaryMikeHDined on 7/18/2014Sat outside, perfect summer night. Celebrating anniversary, staff super friendly, food A+. Had mussels and the smoked/aged NY Strip was one of the best i've had. Topping off dessert was a custom written "happy anniversary" in chocolate on the plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/8/2014I enjoyed a lovely dinner at this beautiful, romantic and cozy restaurant. The service was impeccable and the food was very tasty as well. The mussels were some of the best I have ever tasted! The ambiance was very warm and welcoming. I would recommend this gem for either a special occasion or even just for a drink at their gorgeous bar. I highly recommend giving this great restaurant a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary Eveningluv2eatVIPDined on 7/5/2014Although the restaurant was relatively empty (day after the 4th) the beautiful interior still created a rich and vibrant environment. I had let them know it was our anniversary via Open Table and they were incredibly nice- brought champagne and a special desert. The food was just terrific - the bread great- the wine was good although a little light on more affordable options. The service was outstanding. We felt great about our experience and would highly recommend Westend Bistro.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/1/2014The west end bistro is simply a very pleasant place to dine.the food is first rate,the service always good and the menu continues to have numerous dishes that please the palet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1346 reviews are from the Westend Bistro DC reviews archive.
- Always Good!MDchickVIPDined on 6/26/2014I have been to this restaurant with co-workers and for a date night. Both times, the food, service, ambiance and overall experience has been phenomenal. Must have experience!Special Features:
- Great service- ho hum foodCitationVIPDined on 6/20/2014The service is over the top fabulous. The food- not so great. The menu has interesting items but the taste doesn't live up to the description.
- kidragtimeDined on 6/17/2014Excellent food at a reasonable price (for DC, that is). Service was above average, very accommodating for a dairy allergy and was kid-friendly.Special Features:
- We highly recommend West End BistroJewelDined on 6/17/2014The food was beautifully prepared, served graciously, and was excellent in flavor. In particular, the skate was very tasty and the dessert - three flavors of ice cream -- was wonderful. Our favorite was the salted caramel flavored ice cream -- outstanding. Will come again!Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceMadisonDined on 6/16/2014Two of us had the light grilled trout. It was outstanding and did not taste low calorie. The other diner had the duck and that was excellent too.Special Features:
- DCdinerVIPDined on 6/14/2014We had a lovely table outside. The area is surrounded by plants and even though it's on a busy street, the noise and bustle is greatly lessened. The food and service were wonderful. The service attentive, knowledgable but not rushed. Everyone's food was delicious and received raves. We'll definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- MichaelDined on 6/8/2014Looking for a place after the theatre but for early dining as we had a 2 hr. Drive home. Food was excellent and the service was friendly and very efficient. Would recommend to others and dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can hotel restaurant be this good?itwasgoodVIPDined on 6/3/2014Did not realize Westend Bistro DC was in a hotel when I selected it from Open Table. Was very surprised at how good the food was. My friend needed and got gluten-free pasta with the featured special. Excellent service!Special Features: