Westend Bistro DC
1190 22nd Street NW
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Westend Bistro DC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.westendbistrodc.com/
- Phone: 2029745566x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday 5:30-10:00PM; Friday - Saturday 5:30-11:00PM; Open 7 nights a week (Cocktails, Happy Hour and Full Menu)
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30-2:30PM; CLOSED FOR HOLIDAYS
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Adam Barnett
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Westend Bistro DC
Welcome to Westend Bistro, an award-winning casual American bistro located in Washington, D.C.’s trendy West End. Chef de Cuisine Adam Bernett presents a straightforward menu of simple signature dishes inspired by family traditions and recipes. The focus is on the ingredients, culled from fresh, quality produce by local farmers in Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland. Westend Bistro offers a vibrant atmosphere with an extensive wine list and signature cocktails. Guests can indulge in lunch and dinner at the bar or in the stylish booths and banquettes throughout the dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Westend Bistro DC reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (21)special occasion (21)great for lunch (19)great for outdoor dining (18)romantic (17)vibrant bar scene (13)notable wine list (13)good for groups (12)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Delishdiner1Dined on 9/15/2014Wow, the Skate Wing was perfection and the for dessert, the Pina Colada sorbet left me with a smile on my face for the rest of the day!Special Features:
- Average at bestCnj54321VIPDined on 9/5/2014In the past had good experiences at West End but the past visit was very average. Steak was poorly cooked, too raw and cold, and fish sandwich was bland. Veggie side was mostly beans, which last I checked are not vegetables. Only highlight was garlic fries.
- FantasticAlexandraDined on 9/3/2014I took my friend here for his birthday dinner. The staff were courteous, personable, and very kind. The menu had a variety of choices and the ambiance was very calm in the section where they sat us. I think we may have been the last 2 in the restaurant, but the hours we spent laughing and eating were well worth every penny spent. I'm unaware of our servers name, but he was VERY very kind. I'd return and recommend 100 times over!Special Features:
- no titlenonicknameDined on 8/26/2014The taste of smoked beef was outstanding, BUT- the top of the piece of meat was burnt, the smell of burnt meat accompanied the plate when it arrived and I had to wait a few minutes for it to dissipate; also I had to cut and discard the top part of the meat. I didn't want to ruin the moment with my spouse by returning the dish to the kitchen, so I just accepted the dish as it was. It was a very pleasant surprise to be offered champagne because it was a special occasion for us, a birthday; thank you again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurant week mealfcmkDined on 8/17/2014Sunday night dinner with great service and great food. Mussels, cooked perfectly with proper broth. Star of the show was the gnocchi with spinach in them with corn and mushrooms and the best lemony hollandaise I have had, maybe ever. Dessert was nougat glace raspberry consommé, a classic in French cuisine (parfait)not often seen on menus here. The consommé was a delight and a good contrast to the richness of the parfait.Special Features:
- Limited Menu-Great Tastes!RBinDCDined on 8/16/2014Three of us had dinner on their outdoor sidewalk area during DC's Restaurant Week. We started by sharing one tuna carpaccio appetizer, which is the best that I had anywhere. It's a "must try" dish. We also had the mussels and the salad appetizers, both of which we're delicious. Two of us had the skate wing and the third had the trout. All were very tasty, though I would give the skate the edge. Typically I would choose the salmon but the restaurant serves farmed salmon, which I avoid. The number of choices on the menu is limited but glass. Before I forget. The restaurant offers a lot of wines by the glass. The white Burgundies are a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed during Restaurant WeekKatherineDined on 8/15/2014First let me say our waiter Juan and the host Diego were wonderful. The restaurant itself is cute and very close to our home. We made our reservations for restaurant week a month in advance. The mussels were over cooked to the point of mush, full of sand, and the sauce had no flavor (go to St Arnold's instead). The steak was tough and over salted (try Rays the steaks). The deserts were pretty & artisanal but tasted fake and too sugary (jaleo or zaytinya rock the small plates scene in dc). The "specially priced" bottles of wine for restaurant week was almost 3 times market price. The Bordeaux gave both me & my fiancée (avid wine drinkers) a hangover! Would not recommend & will not return. Take your money elsewhere!Special Features:
- Westend bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/13/2014We did the prix fixe restaurant week thing and the service was pretty abysmal, it took forever to get water or our food. Not to be repeated.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2014The service was good but very slow. We were on a work lunch during the week and it look forever for the food. Plus, once we had dessert you'd think they would bring the check, but we had to wait awhile after dessert was finished and only then they asked if we wanted the check, then we had to wait for the waiter to go get it. The menu had great options but the food was bland, this was the consensus from everyone at our table. Great atmosphere.
- Amazing Wine ListJohnVIPDined on 8/6/2014This restaurant has great food, great service and an amazing wine list! They have something like 50+ wines by the glass, and wines dating back to the 1970's by the glass that the sommelier Michael bought at auction through their Coravin system. We tried a couple of these in half glasses and were blown away. This is one of the best by the glass wine lists I've ever seen. Also, must try the Tuna Carpaccio, the Duck Breast and the NY Strip. Mussels are great too.Special Features:
- Still greatDinerxDined on 8/4/2014The skate was amazing! Great dinner! The tomato salad and the crab/watermelon salad were terrific and refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuciaDined on 8/1/2014Nice restaurant. Try to sit inside to avoid the noise from the traffic. Good service. Outside is pretty but the lighting is very low, so it's hard to read the menu or see your foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Entrees and Decent WinesNandFDined on 8/1/2014I had the opportunity to eat at Westend Bistro for both dinner and lunch over a two day period. Both meals were quite good. My husband ordered the skate for dinner and found it well prepared and an interesting offer on the menu. For those who have not tried it, the texture is a bit like firm crab claw meat with a mild flavor. I ordered the shrimp with grits and chorizo sausage. Delicious! We ordered a nice, dry Rose with dinner from Spain and the Sommelier made a point to come over to the table to talk about the wine based on his experience with an actual visit to the winery. The service was attentive but not over bearing. Overall, an enjoyable meal with good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service - Great Wine!JohnVIPDined on 7/29/2014My wife and I dined at Westend Bistro last night and had a great experience. Our server, Binyam, was incredibly friendly and fun. We were celebrating our first night free from the kids in some time and he made it very special. The Duck Breast was amazing and my wife's NY Strip was smoked and delicious. The sommelier had perfect pairings for the food, and was very respectful of our limited budget, and had a great magnum of wine by the glass.. Very cool! Overall, really great experience. Thank you Westend!Special Features:
- DeliciousBethHDined on 7/26/2014Our group ate at Westend to celebrate a bachelorette party. The staff at Westend Bistro was very attentive to our group of 12. Due to the large group, we had to take a reservation for 8:45. The restaurant was quiet and classy. The menu seemed slightly more limited than what I had seen on the website, but everyone in our group was able to find something delicious! Don't pass up the duck and make sure you get a side of macaroni and cheese. The location was perfect. It was a 10-15 minute walk to all the lively bars in Dupont.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidmikeDined on 7/25/2014Always solid service and food. Reception is friendly
- Consistent quality service and foodDCeaterVIPDined on 7/25/2014I often have lunch at Westend Bistro and I am always very happy with the service, quality and selection of food, and overall atmosphere. Staff go above and beyond to make you feel welcome, from the hostess to the person serving water. The menu has something for everyone and food is always fresh. I love the "light" dishes - allows you to eat out frequently without feeling guilty :)Special Features:
- Classy Dining at the RitzCamWasVIPDined on 7/19/2014Well executed cooking with outstanding fish and seafood. Shrimp and grits scored full marks from a fussy foodie in our party from South Carolina! Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food; lousy serviceBillVIPDined on 7/19/2014TYhe food was outstanding. But it was overcome by poor service. We arrived early for dinner (at 5:30), and the restaurant was empty. It didn't stop them from taking over 1 1/2 hours to wait on us, even after I had said to them that we had to make a show at 7:00 PM.
- AnniversaryMikeHDined on 7/18/2014Sat outside, perfect summer night. Celebrating anniversary, staff super friendly, food A+. Had mussels and the smoked/aged NY Strip was one of the best i've had. Topping off dessert was a custom written "happy anniversary" in chocolate on the plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary Eveningluv2eatVIPDined on 7/5/2014Although the restaurant was relatively empty (day after the 4th) the beautiful interior still created a rich and vibrant environment. I had let them know it was our anniversary via Open Table and they were incredibly nice- brought champagne and a special desert. The food was just terrific - the bread great- the wine was good although a little light on more affordable options. The service was outstanding. We felt great about our experience and would highly recommend Westend Bistro.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/1/2014The west end bistro is simply a very pleasant place to dine.the food is first rate,the service always good and the menu continues to have numerous dishes that please the palet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good!MDchickDined on 6/26/2014I have been to this restaurant with co-workers and for a date night. Both times, the food, service, ambiance and overall experience has been phenomenal. Must have experience!Special Features:
- Great service- ho hum foodCitationVIPDined on 6/20/2014The service is over the top fabulous. The food- not so great. The menu has interesting items but the taste doesn't live up to the description.
- kidragtimeDined on 6/17/2014Excellent food at a reasonable price (for DC, that is). Service was above average, very accommodating for a dairy allergy and was kid-friendly.Special Features:
- We highly recommend West End BistroJewelDined on 6/17/2014The food was beautifully prepared, served graciously, and was excellent in flavor. In particular, the skate was very tasty and the dessert - three flavors of ice cream -- was wonderful. Our favorite was the salted caramel flavored ice cream -- outstanding. Will come again!Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceMadisonDined on 6/16/2014Two of us had the light grilled trout. It was outstanding and did not taste low calorie. The other diner had the duck and that was excellent too.Special Features:
- DCdinerVIPDined on 6/14/2014We had a lovely table outside. The area is surrounded by plants and even though it's on a busy street, the noise and bustle is greatly lessened. The food and service were wonderful. The service attentive, knowledgable but not rushed. Everyone's food was delicious and received raves. We'll definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- MichaelDined on 6/8/2014Looking for a place after the theatre but for early dining as we had a 2 hr. Drive home. Food was excellent and the service was friendly and very efficient. Would recommend to others and dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can hotel restaurant be this good?itwasgoodVIPDined on 6/3/2014Did not realize Westend Bistro DC was in a hotel when I selected it from Open Table. Was very surprised at how good the food was. My friend needed and got gluten-free pasta with the featured special. Excellent service!Special Features:
- Reliably good....DaisyDined on 6/2/2014Westend Bistro is possibly the perfect lunch place - the service is friendly but not overly familiar, the food comes fast, it is delicious and healthy, and the surroundings are nice but casual. I had friends from out of town staying nearby, it was a perfect place to catch up - we sat outside under umbrellas, enjoyed our lunch and there was no pressure to leave - tho if you are in a hurry you could easily manage lunch in one hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This time, things went wrongMaxeliasVIPDined on 5/30/2014I've eaten at Westend Bistro many times. Delighted with previous visits, but this one was bad. My guest and I were seated separately and were left unaware of each other's arrival. This was the desk's fault -- but no apology. We each ordered 2 appetizers. All four arrived together after a long wait -- and one of them was wrong. Chilled pea soup x2, seared tuna, quiche -- all quite good. Discarded plates from first two courses left on table for 10 mins. Cappuccino to finish: Awful, something was obviously wrong with the machine -- they served it up anyway. A little under $100 for two, without wine. Ridiculous. The memory of this shambles will have to fade before I try again. Though, to repeat, my previous visits had all been good.
- The following 1336 reviews are from the Westend Bistro DC reviews archive.
- Are they kidding?LgreeneVIPDined on 5/20/2014It has been quite a while since I had had a meal so poorly prepared...basically inedible. Meat that should have been falling off the bone was impossible to cut even with a steak knife. Housemade pasta was so unevenly thick and cut as to be both undercooked and gummy, swimming in a salt broth. Servers were very pleasant and seemed to know that what they were serving was not good at all.
- Great gathering spotTomKDined on 5/18/2014Charming location alongside the Ritz Carlton with a great street view from the window booths. Dinner offerings were both unique & nicely prepared. Wait staff was enthusiastic & knowledgeable about the food & wine menus. Definitely worth a return visit.Special Features:
- Wonderful food!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/18/2014The food justifies a visit. It is good to see that other reviewers who wrote about the quality of the food were right. The service was good - but not great, not so much because of the human element but because we felt rushed by the restaurant. The entrée came minutes after our table was cleared of the appetizers. That gives the impression that the restaurant wants you out of there as quickly as possible. As a counterpoint the waiter provided excellent service - but that did not stop the food rushing in...Special Features:
- Good food but not greatSubstancenotjustformVIPDined on 5/16/2014Went for pre-show at Kennedy Center. Great location, good food but expected more for the $$$$. Have a drink there and have dinner elsewhere!Special Features:
- JudalaDined on 5/10/2014Menu inventive with many fish entires. Even at dinner, menu includes some sandwiches and lighter fare. New feature has lighter dishes with calorie count. Wine list is pricey.Special Features:
- Outstanding food!MsFussyVIPDined on 5/10/2014Our dinner was excellent. The food was outstanding. We both had the fish of the day in an amazing preparation with a vaguely Asian pasta and also excellent salads to begin. Our server was excellent as well. The only downside is that the room is extremely noisy- uncomfortably so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in a too-sunny spotNeighborVIPDined on 5/8/2014We had a delicious, fresh healthy lunch on the patio. We appreciated the calorie counts on the "lite" menu, and the food was excellent: light, tasty, crunchy salad for me; fresh fish for my friend. My only complaint: There are no umbrellas on the patio, and I can't imagine they can continue to serve food there during the day any longer this year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/6/2014Not thrilled with the iceberg wedge salad or skate. The flavors were oddSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.