5160 West Lake Blvd
Homewood, CA 96141Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
West Shore Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.westshorecafe.com/
- Phone: 5305255200x
- Hours of Operation:
Please see http://www.westshorecafe.com/hours for current hours of operation.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mike Davis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: With flexible indoor and outdoor event spaces that make the most of the picturesque views of Lake Tahoe and the surrounding mountain peaks, striking interior design, and impeccable catering services, the West Shore Café and Homewood Mountain Resort are a perfect location to celebrate in Tahoe.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Brauer 530-525-5200x5204
- Entertainment: The West Shore Cafe occasionally hosts live music, featuring local talent. Additionally, the West Shore Cafe hosts special menu items for happy hour, holidays, and festive occasions.
- Special Events: Always popular, Local Mondays at West Shore Cafe are a great way to affordably taste the freshest produce, seafood and meats that California has to offer. Whether you dine solo while staying in a West Shore vacation property, or invite a group of ten friends that live at the lake, West Shore Café’s menu has options that will satisfy any appetite and will pair perfectly with the Café’s wine list and cocktail menu.
- Cross Street: Homewood Mountain Resort
- Public Transit: Tahoe Area Regional Transit hosts a shuttle drop-off and pick-up location outside the West Shore Cafe.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: West Shore Cafe offer complimentary parking, valet parking during summer months, and additional parking at sister property, Homewood Mountain Resort (steps from the restaurant).
As a year-round destination, the West Shore Cafe beckons skiers during the winter months and is mere steps from sister property, Homewood Mountain Resort.
During summer months, the West Shore Cafe's location is ideal for those cruising the bike path, as well as boaters touring Lake Tahoe. West Shore Cafe hosts several buoys, and welcomes boaters and kayakers ashore.
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
- Better Than in the PastfoodforthoughtVIPDined on 9/25/2014Have been going here since first season. Beautiful location and build out, but rocky history with chef, server turnover and finally new owners. During the recession, there were nights that we were the only 2 customers! We went back for dinner after being absent awhile: still a beautiful property. They put up a temporary curtain in dining room so it doesn't look so empty. Nice to see it busy. Service was terrible: first year server Ryan was poorly trained: ordered a $100+ bottle of champagne and it took him 20 minutes to find an ice bucket while it sat on our table warming up. He had too many tables and didn't fully understand the menu. BBQ shrimp, asparagus salad and beignets were good. Chicken was a goopy mess.
- Unprofessional and disappointing4TahoeDined on 9/15/2014Upon arrival we were told they had no table for us in spite of an OpenTable confirmed reservation. The two hostesses wanted to know how we "snuck in" on a busy night!! We were a party of 4 and they offered us 3 seats at the bar! They finally seated us in the empty dining room instead of the usual deck seating.They were offering half off on their very limited main entrees. When our check arrived there was an obligatory 20 percent tip added. The waitress said they always add it on discount nights and she was so busy she had forgotten to explain it to us. It should be in their advertising or on the menu, not a surprise at meal's end. The entire experience was unpleasant. It is a restaurant with a good reputation but none of us will returnSpecial Features:
- Pluses and MinusesSandeattheriver40Dined on 9/8/2014Definitely need to eat on the patio. Inside dining is an afterthought, with a few tables set aside in a niche. The outside patio is long and narrow, but has a nice view of the boats docked there. The menu is small, but well presented. The food was good, but the service slow. Wait service was efficient and business-like. The bill was very confusing, with a half-off on the main course, with an added 20% that was subtracted and then gratuity added. It took awhile to figure the final total. Overall, not an expensive dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNukerDined on 9/8/2014Service was extremely slow. Arrived at 6:20, and finally left at 9:10. One of the pasta entrées arrived barely warm ,the soup of the day was tepid, the scallops were doled out as if made of gold, and a cup of Americano arrived half-filled. The serving waiter was uncomfortably familiar with the patrons. E.g. "Here's your full cup of Americano, bro." To add insult to injury there was an automatic 20% service charge. On the other hand, there was a spectacular full moon over the lake.Special Features:
- A Special PlaceEric182Dined on 9/4/2014Excellent food and service, with a scenic venue next to the lake that can't be beat! We make a point of dining here for dinner every year at this time.Special Features:
- Great views, good food!S3EvansDined on 9/1/2014What better place to dine outdoors than on the shore of Lake Tahoe? The service, ambiance and food all complement the wonderful views. The menu focusses on a few entrees which they do well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DuffyDined on 8/28/2014We ate on the pier. Food, service and ambiance were outstanding.Special Features:
- Dinner @ West ShoreOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014I have always loved coming here as the view and setting is unparalleled came again the other night and was more dials appointed than before. It began when even though requested months in advance as well as earlier in the day when they call to confirm the reservation, the hostess gave us a hard time getting a table that was requested even though there were several empty tables that fit our request. We did finally get one but it shouldn't be that hard. The waiter was great and the food was good, not as good as I remember it and not as extensive a menu but the portions were definitely smaller. Still a great setting and special place for the view but in the past, the food was as good as the restaurant should be and would like to see it remain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West Shore CafeDavidTVIPDined on 8/20/2014THe atmosphere is the only reason to dine here. The food is average, and service poor. The prices are high.Special Features:
- ColmcilleDined on 8/19/2014We visited this restaurant in June last year and were very impressed with it. The food and the service were excellent. both indoor and out. This last visit, however, was disappointing. Despite the fact that a cold wind was blowing, all of the dining was being catered outside. After complaining initially about the cold the hostess seated us in an exposed windy area, then told us that another sheltered table, which had been sitting ready for 20 minutes would take another15 before we could be seated. We finally asked to be seated inside along with two other tables. During this the hostess expressed no concern or apologies for the situation and did not make us feel very welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A View to RememberbutchVIPDined on 8/19/2014My wife and her sorority sisters chose this venue for lunch since their reunion was in West Lake Tahoe. They were not disappointed. Terrific service, food ,and a view of the mountains, blue skies and water made their time memorable.Special Features:
- West Shore Cafe dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Food was delicious, if a bit cool, once it arrived after 45 minutes. Felt like second class citizens being two women ordering only entrees and no wine. Can't beat the view though!Special Features:
- DisappointedFamilyDined on 8/3/2014We have been visiting West Shore Cafe since they reopened about four years ago and thought of it as a special place to dine with great food on the amazing Lake Tahoe. Tahoe and the ambiance remain amazing but the food was very disappointing this year. The menu has changed quite a bit and the quality of the food was way down. Two of our favorite items, the pork chops and lamb, are no longer on the menu. My pasta was only average, a bit TOO el dente and the sauce on the bottom of the plate was like tomato paste. The two highlights of our four meals were the BBQ shrimp appetizer and the panna cota dessert. This place is expensive and this time was not worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2014My husband and I were enjoying our first night out since having our son. We were very excited to be out and especially excited about trying the delicious food. As you can imagine I became very disappointed after being sat and not being greater for more then 10min. We never received bread service even though all the tables around us did. We were not even offered water until after receiving our appetizers. I just have to let it be know that both my husband have worked/work in the restaurant business, and we understand that I get busy and thing happens out of the servers control that being said if you are a server and you are that behind and are not getting help from your support staff (busser/runner) get a manager involved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tahoe dinning experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014excellent dinning experience. Have been going 10 years and with new exec.chef this place has transformed into a complete dinning experience. Arrive by car and complimentary valet will assist, arrive by boat to the dock and let your dinner guest off load and find a buoy to tie up to and the water taxi will pick you up and deliver all of you to your boat at the end of the evening. Views are killer, rose light across the entire lake and mountains during sunset. The best!! save room for the deconstructed lemon tart....oh my!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth the money or your timeDisappointmentDined on 7/22/2014Had dinner here for a special occassion and won't return. Food was poor but expensive and we had to wait a very long time for it. While the view can't be improved, everything else needs to be. Go for a drink, take a picture, and then find a better restaurant to dine.Special Features:
- lakeside222FeelgoodfoodieDined on 7/21/2014The view here is amazing. Unfortunately the staff is incredibly under trained for the price of the meal - they had no idea what they were doing. They told us to wait when the restaurant only had 1/5 of its tables seated; they told us to carry our own drinks from the bar when there were at least 10 waiters just staring around looking at us and they could not describe the meals. The duck was cold and undercooked served with these horrible little rocks they called gnocchis and the waiter joked that they were saved from the night before! The hamburger was overcooked and dry. The only thing this place has going for it is the incredible spot and the view.Special Features:
- Great start, then failed miserably!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/20/2014From the initial greeting with an umbrella on a very rainy evening by the parking valet through very tasty and beautifully presented appetizers, everything was absolutely as we were hoping West Shore Cafe was going to be. Then, for reasons unknown, everything fell apart: our entree orders were "lost", we patiently waited 45 minutes for them to arrive, and the pasta was cold, shrimp were overcooked and room temperature, and sauces were very bland. Staff graciously tried to recover and we applauded the effort. Although we declined the offer for free desserts, we did accept the comp for the entres we did not finish. We wish things would have worked out better, and we'll probably try them for a lunch next season - if they are still around.Special Features:
- Good food.DMVGALDined on 7/20/2014A bit pricey for what is served. Service is actually very good considering how busy the restaurant us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a high pointgoodbobVIPDined on 7/16/2014Dining on the pier always a great experience during our trips to Tahoe. Food has consistently been very good or excellent - added bonus this time was watching a thunderstorm moving across the lake towards us and finishing dinner just before the first drops hit the West ShoreSpecial Features:
- Romantic dinner for two2fordinnerDined on 7/13/2014Our table was on the peer over the water with Lake Tahoe and Sierra Nevadas as the backdrop. Can't beat the view. Service was friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable, but did not rush us at all. We were left alone enough to enjoy each other's company without feeling neglected. The food was not the usual tired old offerings you find at most touristy restaurants. Food was excellent, fresh, and organic. I had chicken. It was moist and flavorful. Hubby had halibut. It was very flaky and tasty. I would strongly recommend reservations. Popular dining in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLoulouVIPDined on 7/11/2014We've eaten at West Shore many times and have raved about our dining experience. What was good - the hostesses outside were excellent. They accommodated our pier table request. The fried asparagus/squash blossom appetizer was excellent. BUT the service was just so so. Bartenders ignored us but were extremely busy talking to each other-or the younger crowd. Gal Bartender came in and noticed us right away so kudos to her. Service was slow and cold. Took a long time for entries. Pasta and halibut were under seasoned - halibut was cool, prob from coming so far out to the pier. Asked for salt and pepper and waiter never brought it. --So we finished our cool, bland entries. Maybe it's time to let the crowds die down before we try again.Special Features:
- Great food in a fabulous setting!smokeyandashesDined on 7/8/2014Once again, we dined at West Shore Cafe. This is the best restaurant setting on Lake Tahoe. The weather looked like showers might be coming so we sat inside. They opened up the large glass doors/windows and we felt like we were almost outside. Our cocktails and wine were very good. The appetizers were excellent! My daughter and husband ordered appetizers, soup & salads and were very happy. The Caesar salad was very good though not outstanding. The pasta claimed to be fettuccine but was not. It was OK but could have been seasoned better. Even though the main course was not excellent, I will return and order appetizers next time.Special Features:
- Hidden GemMusteatVIPDined on 7/6/2014We found this restaurant by word of mouth! The views are spectacular!!! Check it out!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning view and delicious cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/6/2014We enjoyed the picturesque Lake Tahoe setting while dining on pasta with scallops, fried squash blossoms and deliciously flavored salmon! Bread was so fresh I could have eaten the whole basket!Special Features:
- Decent but priceySleenerDined on 7/4/2014Expensive and not a great selection. My halibut was so-so, husband's $15 burger was good, shrimp was good, salad was okay. Service a bit slow. It was the 4th of July, but not super busy. Beautiful views.Special Features:
- Splendid experienceLJorVIPDined on 7/3/2014We love West Shore for ambiance, beauty of sunsets and friendly service. The salmon and New Orleans BBQ shrimp are flavorful and the S'mores are a wonderful treat. We appreciate the amiable service by all and find that David goes to extra mile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lasting experience1jeeperDined on 7/3/2014This was our first time to Tahoe, Wow. To start our time off with such a fantastic dinning experience will forever leave a great memory for us. Thank you to staff and Chief's for the pleasure. Monica was superb and David from Spain rounded out the evening. Thankyou.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 216 reviews are from the West Shore Cafe reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/30/2014We were there for 2 1/2 hours and never got our dinners. the service was terrible and the manager comped our few appetizers because he was so embarrased. We've had good and bad experiences at West Shore Cafe before....this was the worst!Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/22/2014We felt the menu was too over the top with some of the ingredients. We ended up ordering soup, salad and the prawns off of the appetizer section. I know you won't but I wish some of the old menu items would be brought back. I live in the neighborhood and was there 2-3 a week last summer. My view is spectacular. I'll probably be staying home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too beautiful for words.bellsDined on 6/19/2014The ambience could not be better! I would give it a ten stars based on that alone. I would almost be happy if they served me cardboard. However at $75 for one appetizer, two main dishes, one beer and one wine, I was disappointed. My halibut was cooked perfectly, but WAY over salted. The veggies were fine; but not over the top. My husbands dish included scalloped potatoes, which they were out of (along with many other items), so the sub was mashed potatoes; not too exciting. His broccoli rabbie was overcooked almost to the point of soup. His chicken was good, but nothing special. All in all the meal was less than average. The service was friendly, however, everything was supper delayed, which is fine being in such an amazing place.Special Features:
- Food & Service Need WorkJoeDineVIPDined on 4/7/2014While this restaurant offers fantastic views, the food and service need work. My wife had to return her steak twice before they finally got it right. My salmon was a bit over cooked. The Caesar Salad was very small with ver little dressing and carries an exorbitant price of $14.00. That is most we have ever paid for a Caesar Salad. We probably will not return here for dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent food and unbeatable viewhalfdozenoystersDined on 3/23/2014We booked a table through open table - requested a view - and got one. Really great food and wine. Recommend the spicy margarita. Kids got stuff to do - good kid's menu as well. Can only recommend. Price wise its a $$$$.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smokers + kids welcome, not casual.gourmandDined on 3/22/2014This place was an odd mixture of open yet not. I may make a Yelp review describing why later.Special Features:
- Excellent choice for the West ShoremissinMBDined on 3/15/2014West Shore Cafe used to have a reputation as an expensive, stuffy place to eat. But it's totally remade its image, its prices are more reasonable and the view is incredible. We had dinner there this week and really enjoyed ourselves. The food was outstanding and the service couldn't have been better. We can't wait to enjoy the outdoor dining this summer! Lynne and the entire staff are incredible, we really enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant on the LakeLWL1Dined on 3/9/2014All of our dinners were wonderfully prepared. Interesting selections such as Braised Rabbit. Kudos to the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect, perfect, perfect!smokeyandashesDined on 2/14/2014Everything was perfect- food, service, & drinks. This was a surprise given that it was Valentine's day. I had the special prefix dinner: excellent seafood cannelloni , perfect filet and yummy white chocolate bread pudding. The portions were large and the price very reasonable. My husband had the very good beet salad and the tasty scallops. We had dinner this summer and it was excellent also but I had never eaten inside. And I usually avoid going out to dinner on Valentines day. We may return next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a joyNaldoDined on 2/14/2014We love this restaurant. In the summer, the deck is delightful and the view second to none. In the winter, the dining room is quite classy and the view is available from every area.Special Features:
- Gem on the West Shore of Lake TahoeSuziQ14Dined on 2/1/2014We drove up to Tahoe specifically to have dinner at West Shore Cafe and it was worth it. Great dinner - entrees of scallops and chicken. Loved the brussel sprouts with the chicken. Their version of the Moscow Mule with bruleed fig was excellent. Highly recomment. We love this spot in the winter and more specifically in the summer! Great outdoor dining with a great, friendly vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting better and bettercasahomewoodVIPDined on 12/29/2013West Shore Cafe seems to be improving every time we dine there. The quality of their food has especially taken a turn for the better this last year, and the presentation has really impressed us. For the holidays they decorated the place setting with a fresh cedar leaf and put their menu on a natural wood board, which I thought was elegant. They offered a huge 2 person dry aged Durham Ranch prime rib steak which they brought out before you ordered on a beautifully presented platter, and they offered a fabulous tasting steak tartar that was made table side by your waiter....delicious! Their service has noticeably taken a step up and really makes the dining experience feel personal. Best Lakeside dining in Tahoe by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.