WEST restaurant & bar
#245-225 8th Ave SW - Scotia Center
Calgary, AB T2P 2W3Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: CAN$30 and under
WEST restaurant & bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://westrestaurantandbar.com/
- Phone: 4032375556
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Brent Blake
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Coming soon!
- Private Party Contact: JD Pilz 4038041119
- Entertainment: Friday & Saturday night we have dancing and a DJ playing from 10:00pm until 2:00am. He plays retro, top 40, and house.
A word from WEST restaurant & bar
WEST restaurant & bar is a 3 level dining restaurant. We have a 125 seat wine bar dining room on the main floor, a 240 seat lounge on the second floor and a 480 seated roof top patio facing SW overlooking 8th Ave. Our cuisine is Global-Mediterranean.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
WEST restaurant & bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great Valentine dinner!EaterDined on 2/14/2014Had a great meal with my wife on Valentines Day. Both our dishes were excellent. Very sorry to hear they are closing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised!!!JKLWKDined on 2/14/2014Booked dinner for Valentine's Day. I then began to read some reviews from other's since I'd never even heard of this place. I was rather concerned because much of what I had read was not flattering at all. We decided to make the best of it and give it a shot & try something new. My concerns increased upon arrival at 7 pm to find a very dead place. Less than 20 guests in both the restaurant and bar. I was thinking that this place is in trouble and mgmt better make some drastic changes soon or won't be open much longer. My GF and I both had the Valentine special for $35 pp. Choice of soup or salad & Chicken, Steak or Salmon. We were both very satisfied with our meals however not blown away and must go back. Service was good although strange.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but too noisyGeorgeDined on 2/12/2014I met here for lunch with two colleagues. The food was very good, however the noise level is so high that I had great difficulty understanding the person across the table from me. Felt worn out at the end of an hour.
- Not impressed with serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/10/2014We made a booking to go for a friend's birthday supper. They're website says they're open until 9 so imagine our suprise when we got told at 610 that the kitchen was closed so we couldn't order dessert. There were only a few people in the restaurant at the bar while we were there & the waitress gave us next to no service. I won't be going back there again & I won't reccomend it to anyone.
- Sub-parFoodsterVIPDined on 2/10/2014My meal was less than satisfactory. I had the short ribs for lunch and all I got was fat and bones. The coconut rice didn't have any taste. Not really sure what I was paying for. Could have got a better meal at the food court for a third of the price. I will never go there again.Special Features:
- Food Service is slowTimewarpVIPDined on 2/4/2014The lunch hour service is quite slow, takes 30 to 45 mins to serve meals once ordered. Need to plan lunch for 1.5 to 2 hrs.Special Features:
- Won't be backSamanthayycDined on 2/1/2014Celebrated our anniversary. The ambiance of the restaurant is top notch however we were really disappointed with the tiny portions of food and terrible service. Our waitress was TERRIBLE. There was 3 servers for the whole 8 tables yet it was basically a long wait for everything. The food was out very quickly but I was really disappointed at the portion sizes!! They were sooo tiny, like child size portion kind of tiny. If we knew this prior to ordering we would have ordered an appetizer and my hubby would have ordered two dishes for the main. This place seems to be a better place to go out for some evening drinks. I do not recommend this place at all and we will not be returningSpecial Features:
- Express lunchHMMcVeanDined on 1/31/2014I especially enjoyed the commitment to get people in and out in an hour and we were. The express lunch menu is an excellent idea. I'll be back for that. This time we had salads and they were really good. They were big with lots and lots of lettuce and I love that. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been there beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/29/2014We have been there before and enjoy the food and atmosphere. It is much quieter than Earl's which we prefer. However, this time my salmon was quite raw. I sent it back to the kitchen but it was returned to me raw again. So I was not pleased. The 2 other parties enjoyed their meals.Special Features:
- Good lunch!FoodiesxTwoVIPDined on 1/27/2014We were seated as soon as we arrived and our server was just great! Everything went well; our food was served promptly and it was very good. We had the butternut squash soup and salad. Best soup I have had in a while. We were in and out in less than an hour which is great when you are between meetings. Good job, West!Special Features:
- Enjoyed a quick lunchRyanDined on 1/23/2014Went here with my coworkers for a quick lunch. Service was great and the food came out very fast. Everything was made exactly how we requested and tasted pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This visit only mediocre.SClub7VIPDined on 1/20/2014I have been to WEST many times and I usually really enjoy myself - the atmosphere, the food, etc. This particular time, I was very disappointed with the food which was somewhat shocking. I am not going to let this one particular visit impact my overall opinion of this restaurant which is generally quite good. I hope next time I go is more in line with my usual expectations and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were late...DalesDined on 1/17/2014We were late, so our table was given away. No fault of the restaurant, we were 20 min. late on a Friday, group of 5. They rallied and found us a spot quickly, though, within 10 minutes. Friendly service, after the initial cold announcement about our missing our table. Fairly pedestrian place, off The Core, nothing remarkable about the place. Nice, comfortable, clean. The food was also average. Wait staff attentive to our needs and requests; food was delivered accurately and warm/hot. Just that it tasted, well, average. Nice spot for lunch - BE ON TIME!!Special Features:
- It was extremely dead andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/28/2013It was extremely dead and the service was poor for the place being empty.
- Not up to Calgary StandardsChelleyDined on 12/18/2013Disappointing experience. The restaurant was empty... We had reservations and it took at least 2 minutes to be acknowledged at the door, then about 5-7 minutes before we were seated. Waitress acted like she did not want to be there - she smiled maybe twice during the entire time and instead of walking around the table to serve us she reached over us and or had us pass the drinks and dishes. One dish had to be returned - ribs were all fat and no meat. I would not recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- OKKanucDined on 12/16/2013My salmon main was "funky" tasting - could not eat it. Service was on and off. This place has been spoiled by the easy foot traffic for lunch. Can't really recommend it.Special Features:
- The food was excellent althoughBankerDined on 12/16/2013The food was excellent although a bit pricy ($21 for meatloaf??). Anyways, it was well seasoned, good temperature and a good portion size. The service started out very good but slowed during the peak lunch rush and we had to wait quite a while for the bill and the payment machine afterwards but all in all it was a very good lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotbutchDined on 12/4/2013Quick service and a fantastic steak sandwich -- the cut was more like a flilet mignon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 main lunch item menus wereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/3/20133 main lunch item menus were not available - disappointing - as this was a staff Christmas lunch.
- Girls dinner and drinksKristaVIPDined on 11/27/2013We have all been here a couple of times before but 6 of us went for dinner and drinks on a Wednesday night and had a great experience. Te server was attentive and pleasant, the ambiance was nice, not very busy in there, and the food was great! We had all had larger lunches so opted for mostly soups and salads and all were very good. I had the pumpkin & buternut squash soup and it was to die for and the house salad which was delish. They also had $5 glasses of 1 white and 1 red wine which was great. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go further West....LessThanGoodVIPDined on 11/27/2013Not going to make it in the competitive lunch market. Over priced wine list, hostess with no personality and no for ability on a cheese burger will make me choose a different place to eat next time. Only positive is the waitress was friendly.
- decent location, medocre foodyycmarcDined on 11/26/2013decent location, medocre food & service with the bonus of high prices. best bet for after work drinks than anything else.
- Went there for lunch, wasSharDined on 11/22/2013Went there for lunch, was very noisy, hard to hear people at my table even. Seemed like we were yelling at each other over lunch. Server took our order but someone mixed it up & when the food arrived, it came with fries instead of a salad. Service was good, but slow. Food was good when it arrived.
- Very good lunch, you can enjoyLuvlunchsDined on 11/22/2013Very good lunch, you can enjoy visiting cause it was not loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmedMorashDined on 11/14/2013My 2nd visit to West, though the first outside of lunch hours. We arrived and requested a low table, only to be told that the server couldn't be expected to run all over the restaurant all night and we would have to sit at a high table. There were 2 other tables of diners so this seemed a bit ridiculous. The waitress virtually ignored the 4 of us ladies until the lone male in our party arrived. Drinks and food were slow to come out, wine glasses were not refilled, and we were basically made to feel like a nuisance to the staff. The caesar salad dressing was clearly from a bottle, and the mussels one of our party ordered tasted sandy and old. I won't return.
- Polite and ProfessionalthermalguyDined on 11/13/2013I used to think of West as a sports bar. After yesterdays dining experience, I will be more inclined to take clients to this restaurant. The host(s) were pleasant and efficient. The server, Sam, was attentive and did not interrupt the flow of the lunch hour conversation. The menu had a good variety of selections that interested me and the Chicken Pot Pie that I selected was memorable for the phyllo pastry stick that came with it...as well as a tangy lime taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy lunch spotJustalillostDined on 10/30/2013Food took a while to arrive but was delicious. The chicken cutlet and the curry pot pie was great!Special Features:
- Our Server was new but sheRedheadVIPDined on 10/25/2013Our Server was new but she was very good at trying to find out the answers to our querstions. The food was better than expected....both our dishes were very good. We would go back again.Special Features:
- WEST always deliversSusieQDined on 10/22/2013This is one of my favourite restaurants for lunch and catering events!Special Features:
- Difficult access.janemacDined on 10/19/2013It would be so nice if you could access this restaurant from the street. Abit wierd to have to walk through the mall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!FoodfanDined on 10/16/2013We enjoyed the West restaurant for lunch. The food was very good, and their menu had some quick lunches - 40 minutes - which were very good. Service was great, and the decor was appealing and comfortable. I'd go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedashleykDined on 10/5/2013I made reservations at West for a group of 4 for appies and drinks following a very special occasion. We were all dressed up, so I thought West would be a classy way to end off the evening. It started off fine with a decent server, however when we asked for a drink menu, he said the restaurant didn't have any. We were hoping for special cocktails, but instead we just ordered whatever we could think of, which each costed us $12. My one friend who asked for a mojito has unable to get it, because the restaurant was out of mint...at the end of the night we were still charged for it (servers mistake, he took it off.) There was no dessert menu either, and food was mediocre at best. Very expensive evening for less than average experience!Special Features:
- For all of the hype and buzzUnderwhelmedDined on 10/5/2013For all of the hype and buzz about this restaurant we were underwhelmed by the food. Perhaps better as a bar and dance club than a restaurant. The service was excellent! The appetizers were terrific! we had the avocado frites and pretzel bites (not enough pretzel bites!) The main courses food were satisfactory but overpriced for what they were and the portions were rather small in comparison.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad business lunchFoodGoddessVIPDined on 10/3/2013I took my team here to welcome a new staff member to the team on a Thursday. We arrived at 12:45pm and the lunch crowd was already dying down so we figured the experience would be better than most downtown restaurants over the noon hour. We were promptly sat and the ambience was very trendy. It took quite a while for anyone to come to our table and take a drink order. The menu selection seemed really good, however, when we received it, it was sub-par for the money we spent. The gnocchi should have been the star but it was smothered in ground lamb. I ate the gnocchi and left a full bowl of mushy lamb. The beef short ribs really aren't short ribs, they are Miami style. They were thin and fatty. Not what was expected.Special Features:
- A group of 4-6 friends meetRandyDDined on 10/2/2013A group of 4-6 friends meet every month or so to catch up with each other over the lunch period. The West has lots of quiet little spaces and lots of room to do that. We like to try new places but I think we'll come back here. Thanks!Special Features:
- Food was okay not quite great,rascalDined on 9/26/2013Food was okay not quite great, tried to get a dipping sauce but was advised that they don't carry dipping sauces only the ones they use in the meal they make can be providedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Server Ryan was AMAZING!!! HeBirthdayGirl31Dined on 9/14/2013My Server Ryan was AMAZING!!! He was polite, funny and always had a smile on his face. I can't wait for the next oppurtunity to come back. your Butternut squash soup was to die for. Thank you again for being such a great helpSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent rooftop patio. CouldSAS71Dined on 9/10/2013Excellent rooftop patio. Could use a few extra umbrellas on the sunny hot days but still good. Fast delivery of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot for business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2013Had lunch with a business associate and sat in the rooftop patio. The service was friendly and well paced and the view was very nice. There was a pleasant ambiance, not too noisy and not too busy (60% full). The food was pretty good but the caesar salad was quite bland. I will definitely return as the menu had a lot of variety to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stormy weatherDiningoutDined on 8/29/2013Unfortunately we got caught in the raging wind & rain storm that passed through around 5:30 p.m. on Thurs. Aug 29, so did not get our food. They weren't set up to provide services inside, so we just left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.