West Oak Restaurant
1035 Mainland St
Vancouver, BC V6B 5P9Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$30 and under
West Oak Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.westoakrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6046298808
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30 PM - LATE
Brunch coming soon!
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Tim Cuff
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: DJ from Thursday - Saturday nights.
A word from West Oak Restaurant
Fresh, local & sustainable cuisine served in a high energy atmosphere in the heart of Yaletown.Continued
To book parties larger than 6 people please contact us by phone
To book parties larger than 6 people please contact us by phone
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
West Oak Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Yaletown ›
West Oak Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (27)fit for foodies (24)good for groups (22)neighborhood gem (22)hot spot (19)special occasion (15)great for lunch (15)vibrant bar scene (15)great for brunch (10)romantic (8)late-night find (8)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Delicious FoodFredDined on 9/13/2014West Oak has half price appies until 6 PM and after three visits in the past 3 months, we have to say the food is excellent. The bruscetta, barrata and proscuito appetizer and the prawns Chinois were all amazing. We, also, very much enjoyed our main course selections of chorizo bolognese and Fettuccine. Service could be better but the restaurant is very busy.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningsnupeVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had a lovely evening at West Oak. The food was delicious, the service was prompt and friendly and the ambiance was very nice. I had the sablefish, as did several of my companions, and it was cooked perfectly. I would definitely order it again. One of our group had the lamb which he really enjoyed and another loved the seafood pasta. The bruschetta appetizer was very good. I think the only criticism was that some liked the crab cakes and others found them only average. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go backNikkiVIPDined on 9/11/2014Had been to West Oak in its previous incarnations. It was a slow night so the owners dropped by the tables a few times. Very impressed with the chinois prawns and oddly, enough, the burger and fries (best fries in Vancouver). Also ordered the bolognese, carpaccio and brussels sprouts (all good). Finished off with the key lime pie and sundae - skip dessert here and just have another order of chinois prawns!Special Features:
- great serviceKandSDined on 9/9/2014My daughter and I recently had dinner here, and the kindness and prompt attention to a few problems was exemplary. I found my dinner was just too spicey for me. Within a few minutes of mentioning this the manager immediately came over and said they would prepare me another dish. Not only did they NOT charge me for my dinner, the manager also served us a lovely dessert. Again GRATIS. It was not the free entrée that impressed us, but the classy, gracious way everything was handled, no excuses, no hesitation. We eat out often, have tried many restaurants in Yaletown, and this was without doubt the best service, the most obliging, and to make it even better the food was delicious. Would highly recommend, and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great.Ace27Dined on 9/8/2014Been to West Oak many times, including special occasions, and the food quality and service never disappoints. Great place - even for the finickiest of eaters, which I am.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014had the prawns and the salmon, both were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sevice, Food Could Be BetterconstantdinerDined on 8/25/2014I was very impressed with the service... too notch, kind and we'll dressed. Food could have had more tsste; crab cakes were over cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissapointedEatie13Dined on 8/23/2014I was really looking forward to dining here for a while now. I had the caprese salad and the crab cakes. The caprese salad was awful because the tomatoes were under ripe and the whole salad tasted like it was swimming in water therefore tasteless and bland. The crab cakes were very salty. The sauce they cake My sister had the muscles and a handful smelled really bad and not fresh. My girlfriend had the salmon which was just ok.Special Features:
- Delicious!tzippyDined on 8/22/2014Its a little noisy...but not so bad on the patio. Fun place to go with friends for a night out.Special Features:
- horrible service! disappointed!!!!chantel007Dined on 8/20/2014The food was pretty good, comparable to Earls. I expected better considering how highly regarded thus place was. Hostess was very nice and pleasant but our server had zero personality and was rude. Came took our order and left. Never checked in on how the meal was. I've seen better service at Boston Pizza. Totally disappointed with the whole experience , we won't go back and recommend this place to anyone. Not a great experience for our out of town visitors from Germany to have had either.
- Good food, good wine listkathy328iDined on 8/12/2014I had scallops and my husband had the salmon. Both were cooked very nicely. The wine list had a nice selection. It was a light night but the echo from the other three tables along with the overhead music made us feel we had to shout to each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Happened?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014We've been to West Oak a number of times, although not this summer. But we were anxious to return as we enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. Wow. What happened? The menu itself has been pared down and consequently diluted. It is unimaginative. The service was reasonable but the young lady was not strong on personality and did not engender confidence that she was familiar with the menu and the kitchen. The food itself was...fine...but in no way did it stand out. My salmon was tasty but the accompaniments were inedible. My wife's entree came with gnocchi, which she said had no taste. The first several times we ate at West Oak made us want to go back. Now? We're not sure.Special Features:
- Fresh Delicious FoodLouisa007VIPDined on 7/31/2014Have dined her many times - great steaks at decent prices. Enjoyed a wonderful lunch last week. Highly reccommend.Special Features:
- Delicious mealHeagsDined on 7/26/2014Loved every moment at this restaurant. Fantastic food, ambiance and service. Beautiful surroundings, including the people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hmm...asbettsDined on 7/18/2014I didn't love West Oak as much as the first time. It was a bit more like a lounge than a restaurant this time around. The food was still pretty good. The service wasn't nearly as good. I would probably go back again just to see if I am still into it.Special Features:
- Evening on the patioPeony12Dined on 7/7/2014West Oak is a great dining experience but it is also great for a vibrant late night bar scene. I've eaten here a few times and the food and service is always great! My last visit was with a friend and we ended up chatting so much we were there for over 4 hours and the staff did not rush us at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair at bestLCOPEDined on 6/21/2014Expecting much more from West Oak. Small portions. Over priced wine and not a great selection of wines under $70.00. Scallops were tasty. Gnocchi was thick and not very tasty. Dessert menu lacks - if you don't want chocolate the only of choice was pecan pie.Special Features:
- Good food, atmosphereSandilouDined on 6/19/2014Food and atmosphere was good. Seating at the bar, outside, in the restaurant or at the food preparation area. So, although it's not a huge room, each area has it's own vibe. I arrived early and, while waiting for friends, was made comfortable by the friendly staff. I'll visit again. Will have to stop by to check out happy hour sometime.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014Very impressed with the staff attentive nature and knowledge of the high quality sourcing ie grass fed beef etc outstanding meals and do not miss the freshly baked cookies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- je ne c'est quoiSwissMissDined on 6/16/2014The first time I ate here it was a quick snack of breakfast Mimosas and whatever else my friend ate. The mimosas were delish! The second time I brought three other friends with me, all very picky, one a vegan. Bringing them there was a great success we shared the goat cheese bruschetta, which made our mouths water and our stomachs even hungrier for the next course. I am a small eater and so ordered a salad to follow, mixed field greens. It says a lot about a restaurant if they can make a simple salad delectable, West Oak did this. The ambience is great, what a nice day to have an outdoor dining area, the Vancouver sun was shining down on us and the people watching was great.Special Features:
- food was not goodkat1455Dined on 6/14/2014we made the reservation on the open table for 6.30 for 6 people and when we arrived the hostess told us that we have to leave by 8.15 do not have the opening for6.30 if you book the table for 8.15 it was very unpleasant it is not a cheap restaurant so we did not expect to be treated that way we will not be back and we will not recommend this plave
- Amazing brunch, great serviceYummyDined on 6/14/2014I took my roommate here for his Birthday brunch and it was amazing. It was a great looking space, the patio was heated and warm, even on a rainy day! The food was delicious. I would eat the hash brown potatoes all day long. When our server found out it was his birthday, she brought us an amazing plate of cookies to celebrate! She even went out to look for candles. It was fabulous all round!Special Features:
- Lovely DinnerlittlelibrarianDined on 6/9/2014Would love to have sat outside on a beautiful evening but large screen TV with sports isn't our thing. Disappointed. Food excellent but dark on a lovely eveningSpecial Features:
- Great food & vibeasbettsDined on 5/30/2014This place wasn't even on my radar, but I am so happy I went! The food was very west coast and very well made and presented. Quality ingredients for sure. The staff were so friendly, inviting, accommodating, and attentive. Small, but effective wine list. The cocktails we had were delicious as well. I loved the room. It was modern and warm. I would definitely recommend this place to people, and I will be back.Special Features:
- A Place for FoodiesuncleoogieDined on 5/29/2014Superb dinner, but we were seated in the bar and it was crowded and noisy due to the Stanley Cup playoff game on the big screens. Not ideal for dinner conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 48 reviews are from the West Oak Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great date-night placeinfrequentdinerDined on 5/18/2014Went to West Oak for our anniversary dinner. The beet salad was amazing (huge) - plan to share it! Followed by the sablefish upon the recommendation of our server - great recommendation. I would definitely recommend to friends! Try for a seat on the patio - great people watching too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/9/2014i did't get her name, but i was there on friday MAY 9 at 6:30 pm, table behind bar....our server (her) was awesome and the chicken dish was delicious...it was beyond my expectations and i dine out ALOT!Special Features:
- West OakOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/24/2014Amazing food, great decor and really good service!Special Features:
- Owner / ManagerRobinalixDined on 4/15/2014The Canucks were in the restaurant and the the owner/ manager was overly aggressive in letting us know that we couldn't take pictures before we could even tell him, we had NO interest! Thought he was very important and really didn't make the experience good at all.
- Great Place, Bland FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2014Great place, great service, food was a little on the bland side.
- Had a good timeaepageDined on 3/1/2014We got their early when it was quiet - but it did get quiet noisy when it filled up. Food was good and service was good. I recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, energetic roomDimitriDined on 2/26/2014Good food, good service, lively room. Only quibble I have is that the tables are way too long when facing each other. Kind of kills the idea of a cozy, romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Neighborhood GemLouisa007VIPDined on 2/21/2014Excellent Food - fun service -and if you want a bit of peace -dine on the patio - good fun on a winter nightSpecial Features:
- Great service and ambienceniknatDined on 2/17/2014Recently visited for lunch with out-of-town guests. Staff were exceptional - welcoming, courteous, knowledgeable. My guests were in transit with their suitcases and the staff volunteered to store them safely away, without acting like it was an unusual occurrence. We were made to feel completely comfortable remaining at our table after lunch to visit without being pressured by staff to vacate (or buy more). Menu is a little bit safe - standard west coast contemporary type fare, but prices were good, and portions surprisingly generous. Beet salad was a standout at less than $10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was amazing -OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014The service was amazing - friendly , efficient staff. Food was even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy rstaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/25/2014Excellent food and service. Only negative is the noise level which makes it difficult to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and delicious foodFoodiepDined on 1/19/2014Went there for dine out with a friend and had a really great service. Food was absolutely delicious for a dine out menu. Their cookies are the best desserts on the list. It's warm and fresh from the oven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2014My friends and I had a great experience at West Oak this weekend. Great food, great wine and cocktails, outstanding service.... overall I can't wait to be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Years eve experienceBlueJeansDined on 12/31/2013We had dinner at West Oak on new years eve - early seating. Warm atmosphere, lively, pleasant staff, awesome food. My husband had tenderloin and I the sablefish, both perfectly cooked. Loved the carpaccio to start and the Moscow Mules. Everything was delish. Charmaine our server was efficient and very pleasant. The champagne and vodka bar at the back looks like it would be great fun. We loved Chinoise (the former restaurant in this space), it's the same owner but a different style altogether. We'll definitely be back, looking forward to trying the crab cakes, mussels & fries and...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good alternative to chainsMissVVIPDined on 12/29/2013I can't say I was really "blown away" by anything, but it was a nice spot to have a causal bite. Everything was good, and the service was very friendly.