West Oak Restaurant
1035 Mainland St
Vancouver, BC V6B 5P9Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$30 and under
West Oak Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.westoakrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (604) 629-8808
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30 PM - LATE
Brunch coming soon!
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Tim Cuff
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: DJ from Thursday - Saturday nights.
A word from West Oak Restaurant
Fresh, local & sustainable cuisine served in a high energy atmosphere in the heart of Yaletown.Continued
To book parties larger than 6 people please contact us by phone
To book parties larger than 6 people please contact us by phone
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
West Oak Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Yaletown ›
West Oak Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (50)good for groups (38)hot spot (37)neighborhood gem (32)great for outdoor dining (26)special occasion (26)vibrant bar scene (24)romantic (16)great for lunch (10)late-night find (10)great for brunch (9)notable wine list (7)scenic view (1)Show More
- Worth every pennyFoodloverDined on 11/15/2014I went to West Oak for a ladies night out with my mom, aunt and sister. This restaurant had a good variety that satisfied all of us. The food was delicious and the service was great. It did get quite noisy as it began to fill up but that's to be expected in a big open room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kl11Dined on 11/14/2014The only downside to the whole evening was that I made a reservation for 7:45, but didn't actually get seated until around 8:30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014A beautiful hip restaurant in a generous space. Spotlessly clean, staff entertaining and helpful. Food very good. Would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceBibiDined on 11/7/2014The food was great, but our food took 40 min to arrive. When we asked the waitress said o ya sorry the kitchen is very busy tonight. For being such a good place , i would recommend an appy and let the customers know about the long wait. We finished a whole bottle of wine , with no food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- taste of yaletown eatsrelevantinfoDined on 10/30/2014My girlfriend and I went to West Oak for taste of yaletown and were thoroughly impressed. The lamb was terrific! and their old fashioned's authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Yaletown StapleNadjVIPDined on 10/28/2014West Oak has good food, good service and a very nice location. Had the taste of yaletown menu and it was quite good. Service was a little slow but we were a larger group so that wasn't such a big deal. Definitely worth trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but one diner can ruin a mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014Good food and service. Crab cakes and scallops were excellent. We were told it was super noisy inside (indeed it was!) so we would probably prefer the patio. It was waaay too hot on the patio because of the heat lamps. We asked the server to turn one down a bit and she said the lady next to us had told her she was freezing, soooo, out of luck. Really ruined our experience. Note to hostess: maybe if someone tells you they are "freezing" you don't seat them outside on a cold rainy night. Note to "freezing diner": the world does not revolve around you, bring a sweater.I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a scene...jpinscDined on 10/25/2014I was expecting this place to be a bit more of a cool "neighborhood gem" type of restaurant. Instead, I would say it was definitely more of a hot trendy spot that you would imagine seeing in LA or NY. The service was good (although it was interesting that all of the servers were women in short black cocktail type dresses) but the noise level was EXTREMELY loud. Food was tasty with a beautiful presentation but I was a little disappointed that it was served lukewarm. It was a cool place if you are looking for a hot spot with an energetic vibe and good food but I would reconsider if I were looking for a more intimate quite night out.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Great food. Very West Coast. We would definitely go again!Special Features:
- Great Service & Good Foodluv2eatVIPDined on 10/23/2014Taste of Yaletown set dinner was excellent. Our server Alix was friendly & charming. She made our night very enjoyable. Great place to mingle with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to bring my Parents!healthyfoodieDined on 10/19/2014The server was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and the ingredients (even from where they were sourced)! The taste of Yaletown menu was fantastic, great value and left my boyfriend and I absolutely stuffed! My patents are healthy foodies and they would absolutely love this place. The lamb shank was the best I have ever had! This gem is only five minutes from my house and I cannot wait to return. West Oak is truly a LOCAL farm to table place with great cocktails to boot. In a city that claims to do that all the time West Oak has really nailed it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/17/2014I'm really glad that Taste of Yaletown provided the opportunity for me to try out this restaurant! The food was outstanding as with their service and ambiance. Can't wait to return and try out other dishes.Special Features:
- unorganized servicesundawnjoyVIPDined on 10/17/2014They almost failed to check me into my Reso even though I have my name. Despite the number of staff on site, unorganized delivery. We were seated before the night got busy. Initially service started off fantastic, our 1st course arrived timely. Then a large gap of time, main course doesn't arrive. When we asked them to check on our order, tried pass off as busy, until we pointed out table next to us seated after us, ordered after, yet 1st two courses both arrived and almost done. And our parking is about to expire. Mistakes happen but they should be on the ball after that. Next time someone checked on us, we asked for the desserts to arrive. Took so long, yet again, that some of us had to leave and fill the parking meter.Special Features:
- Food and ServiceOskarDined on 10/17/2014The food and presentation was very good. The server, Thea, was extremely pleasant, attentive and provided excellent service to usSpecial Features:
- LivelydiningDined on 10/7/2014Great new restaurant in Yaletown with a great menu...lots of selection! Scallops were fantastic! Dim lighting and energetic vibe..perfect for late night scene but not so good for quiet meal. Outdoor patio was better but a little rustic seating compared to inside. Want to go back to try more menu items!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Lively Food & Good CocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/2/2014Friend and I decided to give West Oak a try ... and it lived up to expectations. Fine food with inventive twists all round. Lively cocktails ... and apparently a pretty active bar scene as we walked through to the quieter patio. Will be going back to visit more of the menu.Special Features:
- FantasticGetInMyBellyDined on 9/29/2014It was a quiet night so we were attended to very well. Service was top notch, food was delicious, and our drinks were well made. Will definitely visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good timeMoreWineAndCheesePleaseDined on 9/24/2014Server was great. All of the servers are freakishly good looking and friendly, actually. I went in on a Wednesday night and had as much fun as I would have on a weekend. Great place, great prawns and mussels. Classy, yet, relaxed.Special Features:
- Loved the food West OakWJC722VIPDined on 9/24/2014I dined alone, sitting by myself with no one speaking to me for about 10 minutes - a manager noticed and asked why I didn't have a drink. He was wonderful to notice and the rest of my time and dining experience was excellent. The food was top notch in a great neighborhood in Vancouver. I had the Dungeness Crab Cakes - excellent and the Salmon was bright red and delicious with my plate completely clean from both dishes. The wine list is great too. The only downside for me is the two large TVs over the bar which I thought were unnecessary. The ambience would have been better without them - for me and I didn't notice anyone watching the TV. If I sat in a different location in the restaurant I would not have seen the TVs.Special Features:
- Delicious FoodFredDined on 9/13/2014West Oak has half price appies until 6 PM and after three visits in the past 3 months, we have to say the food is excellent. The bruscetta, barrata and proscuito appetizer and the prawns Chinois were all amazing. We, also, very much enjoyed our main course selections of chorizo bolognese and Fettuccine. Service could be better but the restaurant is very busy.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningsnupeVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had a lovely evening at West Oak. The food was delicious, the service was prompt and friendly and the ambiance was very nice. I had the sablefish, as did several of my companions, and it was cooked perfectly. I would definitely order it again. One of our group had the lamb which he really enjoyed and another loved the seafood pasta. The bruschetta appetizer was very good. I think the only criticism was that some liked the crab cakes and others found them only average. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go backNikkiVIPDined on 9/11/2014Had been to West Oak in its previous incarnations. It was a slow night so the owners dropped by the tables a few times. Very impressed with the chinois prawns and oddly, enough, the burger and fries (best fries in Vancouver). Also ordered the bolognese, carpaccio and brussels sprouts (all good). Finished off with the key lime pie and sundae - skip dessert here and just have another order of chinois prawns!Special Features:
- great serviceKandSDined on 9/9/2014My daughter and I recently had dinner here, and the kindness and prompt attention to a few problems was exemplary. I found my dinner was just too spicey for me. Within a few minutes of mentioning this the manager immediately came over and said they would prepare me another dish. Not only did they NOT charge me for my dinner, the manager also served us a lovely dessert. Again GRATIS. It was not the free entrée that impressed us, but the classy, gracious way everything was handled, no excuses, no hesitation. We eat out often, have tried many restaurants in Yaletown, and this was without doubt the best service, the most obliging, and to make it even better the food was delicious. Would highly recommend, and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great.Ace27Dined on 9/8/2014Been to West Oak many times, including special occasions, and the food quality and service never disappoints. Great place - even for the finickiest of eaters, which I am.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014had the prawns and the salmon, both were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sevice, Food Could Be BetterconstantdinerDined on 8/25/2014I was very impressed with the service... too notch, kind and we'll dressed. Food could have had more tsste; crab cakes were over cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissapointedEatie13Dined on 8/23/2014I was really looking forward to dining here for a while now. I had the caprese salad and the crab cakes. The caprese salad was awful because the tomatoes were under ripe and the whole salad tasted like it was swimming in water therefore tasteless and bland. The crab cakes were very salty. The sauce they cake My sister had the muscles and a handful smelled really bad and not fresh. My girlfriend had the salmon which was just ok.Special Features:
- Delicious!tzippyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Its a little noisy...but not so bad on the patio. Fun place to go with friends for a night out.Special Features:
- horrible service! disappointed!!!!chantel007Dined on 8/20/2014The food was pretty good, comparable to Earls. I expected better considering how highly regarded thus place was. Hostess was very nice and pleasant but our server had zero personality and was rude. Came took our order and left. Never checked in on how the meal was. I've seen better service at Boston Pizza. Totally disappointed with the whole experience , we won't go back and recommend this place to anyone. Not a great experience for our out of town visitors from Germany to have had either.
- Good food, good wine listkathy328iDined on 8/12/2014I had scallops and my husband had the salmon. Both were cooked very nicely. The wine list had a nice selection. It was a light night but the echo from the other three tables along with the overhead music made us feel we had to shout to each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Happened?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014We've been to West Oak a number of times, although not this summer. But we were anxious to return as we enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. Wow. What happened? The menu itself has been pared down and consequently diluted. It is unimaginative. The service was reasonable but the young lady was not strong on personality and did not engender confidence that she was familiar with the menu and the kitchen. The food itself was...fine...but in no way did it stand out. My salmon was tasty but the accompaniments were inedible. My wife's entree came with gnocchi, which she said had no taste. The first several times we ate at West Oak made us want to go back. Now? We're not sure.Special Features:
- Fresh Delicious FoodLouisa007VIPDined on 7/31/2014Have dined her many times - great steaks at decent prices. Enjoyed a wonderful lunch last week. Highly reccommend.Special Features:
- The following 60 reviews are from the West Oak Restaurant reviews archive.
- Delicious mealHeagsDined on 7/26/2014Loved every moment at this restaurant. Fantastic food, ambiance and service. Beautiful surroundings, including the people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hmm...asbettsVIPDined on 7/18/2014I didn't love West Oak as much as the first time. It was a bit more like a lounge than a restaurant this time around. The food was still pretty good. The service wasn't nearly as good. I would probably go back again just to see if I am still into it.Special Features:
- Evening on the patioPeony12Dined on 7/7/2014West Oak is a great dining experience but it is also great for a vibrant late night bar scene. I've eaten here a few times and the food and service is always great! My last visit was with a friend and we ended up chatting so much we were there for over 4 hours and the staff did not rush us at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair at bestLCOPEDined on 6/21/2014Expecting much more from West Oak. Small portions. Over priced wine and not a great selection of wines under $70.00. Scallops were tasty. Gnocchi was thick and not very tasty. Dessert menu lacks - if you don't want chocolate the only of choice was pecan pie.Special Features:
- Good food, atmosphereSandilouDined on 6/19/2014Food and atmosphere was good. Seating at the bar, outside, in the restaurant or at the food preparation area. So, although it's not a huge room, each area has it's own vibe. I arrived early and, while waiting for friends, was made comfortable by the friendly staff. I'll visit again. Will have to stop by to check out happy hour sometime.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014Very impressed with the staff attentive nature and knowledge of the high quality sourcing ie grass fed beef etc outstanding meals and do not miss the freshly baked cookies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- je ne c'est quoiSwissMissDined on 6/16/2014The first time I ate here it was a quick snack of breakfast Mimosas and whatever else my friend ate. The mimosas were delish! The second time I brought three other friends with me, all very picky, one a vegan. Bringing them there was a great success we shared the goat cheese bruschetta, which made our mouths water and our stomachs even hungrier for the next course. I am a small eater and so ordered a salad to follow, mixed field greens. It says a lot about a restaurant if they can make a simple salad delectable, West Oak did this. The ambience is great, what a nice day to have an outdoor dining area, the Vancouver sun was shining down on us and the people watching was great.Special Features:
- food was not goodkat1455Dined on 6/14/2014we made the reservation on the open table for 6.30 for 6 people and when we arrived the hostess told us that we have to leave by 8.15 do not have the opening for6.30 if you book the table for 8.15 it was very unpleasant it is not a cheap restaurant so we did not expect to be treated that way we will not be back and we will not recommend this plave