WEST Kitchen & Tavern
126 West Street
Annapolis, MD 21401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
WEST Kitchen & Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.annapoliswestkt.com/
- Phone: 4102953225x
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Brunch on Saturday and Sunday from 7am-2pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Relf
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music every Thursday from 6-9pm. Sit Back, Relax, Enjoy Great Music, Spectacular Drinks, and the Best Chesapeake Cuisine in Annapolis!
A word from WEST Kitchen & Tavern
Chesapeake inspired and casually refined. WEST Kitchen & Tavern is located in the heart of charming downtown Annapolis. A modern interpretation of the classic shore tavern, and formerly home to the Annapolis Dairy, we honor the heritage of the Chesapeake region. We deliver an ambiance of relaxed sophistication, with service that pampers and delights, and food that is local and inventive. Our sophisticated yet comfortable ambiance offers a flexible space for all occasions. Our menu draws upon classic American techniques and looks to our farmer/partners for inspiration – simply put, the best ingredients, make the best food. Our menu is regionally and seasonally inspired, with our interpretation of classic, local fare. A vibrant and inspired beverage program completes the experience – with innovative, garden-fresh cocktails and a value conscious wine list that highlights sustainable and local wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
WEST Kitchen & Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (3)good for groups (3)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (2)fit for foodies (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)special occasion (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014We really wanted to try this place for brunch after we saw the menu online. we had a weekend free and made a reservation. when we got there we waited to be sat for at least ten minutes because the hostess was missing. Our server was really great. she sat us and gave us our menus which were not what we saw online so we had coffee and went somewhere else. The buffet was $16 with not a lot to show. There are much better breakfast and brunch places in town.
- Don't recommendReviewReaderDined on 6/21/2014I had heard the chef was great. Well food is certainly important at a restaurant and the food was very good. The portions were very small. BUT, that was all there was. As a hotel restaurant, we were very surprised how poor and inappropriately casual the service was. The menu was one of the shortest we had ever seen and they were out of the filet mignon I wanted to order. They substituted a larger ribeye for the same price but really? There were like only seven things to chose from. No bread, no wine list available, no table clothes, three different waiters helped us. Very disjointed. Too many great places in Annapolis to return here.
- A little off but still goodadchotinVIPDined on 6/21/2014Went to Metropolitan with family because in previous visits the menu was varied and the food good. They said they were in transition and, therefore, did not have a beer or wine list which did make ordering a bit more complicated. Somehow we survived. The scallops ordered were quite good but the pickled vegetables that accompanied too strong. The roast chicken was delicious and the strawberry shortcake shared by the table a good finale. We will definitely give them another chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch...where's the food???OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/15/2014The brunch buffet was awful. One warmer with not-so-fresh scrambled eggs, another with sausage and bacon, another with potatoes and a plate of fruit. This is a brunch buffet and on Father's Day of all days? The restaurant was empty for good reason. Very nice service from the host/manager and our server...no complaints there.
- The following 104 reviews are from the WEST Kitchen & Tavern reviews archive.
- Lighten UPMollyDined on 4/26/2014Great menu -- the food choices were interesting but everything came smothered in butter or oil, even the vegetable dishes. You expect grease with Fried Green Tomatoes (and they were delicious) but artichokes don't need to be drenched and slimy. Not much in the way of healthy eating. Loved the outdoor area, friendly service and food was well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!MDDinerDined on 4/26/2014Our server was very friendly and attentive and arranged to have the chef "tweak" a dish for a vegetarian diner. Nice atmosphere. Overall a good spot for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Mediocre at BestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/30/2014Just nothing to say that was outstanding. Looked promising, but didn't deliver on any front. Brunch cocktail list looked good! But bartender wasn't ready (for brunch at noon?) so drinks came one at a time in 10 minute intervals. Bloody Mary, okay. Mimosa - mostly orange juice with a splash of champagne instead of vice versa. The West specialty cocktail (signature drink!) needed cucumber syrup that wasn't ready. Had to wait for that to be made. Waitress was friendly but mostly talk and no action. Room was freezing. Staff kept running out side door letting arctic blast in. Food was underwhelming except fried green tomatoes w/ remoulade. Burgers, boring. Huevos Rancheros were UNDERSEASONED to point of blandness. Will not recommend or be back.
- Food and service were veryAnonDined on 3/29/2014Food and service were very good. Has an expresso machine, rare in Annapolis, but the expresso was luke warm and not that tasty. Very little foam.Special Features:
- Great variety and friendly service!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/29/2014We stayed at the Loews Annapolis last weekend and ate here for breakfasts and dinners! It's a small menu, but everything is fresh and delicious and service is quick, but not rushed. For a Friday during Lent, we easily found quite a few vegetarian dishes and were pleased with all! The grilled artichoke is something to write home about : ) Breakfasts were amazing as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annapolis Best Kept SecretgourmetgirlVIPDined on 2/21/2014The West Kitchen & Tavern in Annapolis is by far one of the best in the city. Their "farm to table" freshness and creative cooking is absolutely wonderful. The menu is not huge, but everything on it is always absolutely delicious! Personal favorites are, for Appetizers, the Duck Sliders, Lobster Sliders and Grilled Artichokes with lemon aoili. For dinner, Pan Seared Sea Scallops, the Crispy Skin Duck Breast and the Garlic & Herb Shmeared Tavern Steak are wonderful! But everything I've had there has been really good. In fact, for lunch their hamburgers with garlic fries are the best I've had in a very long. You want a really great burger, theirs is awesome. The other draw for us is their drink menu - fabulous!Special Features:
- Great Valentine's DinnerWineLover120Dined on 2/14/2014WEST Kitchen and Tavern was a great place to celebrate a nice Valentine's Day dinner. We had reservations for 8:00, but when we arrived our table wasn't ready yet as diners were staying longer than anticipated. So we had a drink at the bar while we waited. The wait staff here are so friendly! They were very accommodating and tried to meet all our needs. We both had steaks, which were tender and juicy. After dinner, we sat and chatted for a while until the server came over and asked if we'd like complimentary chocolate covered strawberries! Great finish to a delicious dinner! One other bonus, you can see their open wood-fired oven in the kitchen, which made us feel right at home and comfortable! Very cozy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food! Exceptional Service!mrijonesDined on 1/2/2014Great food! Exceptional Service! A favorite of my husband's and mine!Special Features:
- Not what we were expectingSharonDined on 12/25/2013We chose West because we knew that they had some vegan options. However, when we arrived, we found out that there was only a very limited menu that was not only pricey but didn't include any vegan options. No one informed us of this when we made our reservation or when we called to confirm our reservation. We were about ready to leave but our very pleasant server, Meghan, quickly offered to talk with the chef to see if they could come up with a vegan option. They prepared us some wood fire oven-roasted vegetables which were very good. It would have been nice to have some appetizer/salad options but at that point we were happy to get anything. Thank you, Meghan, for preventing our evening from being a disaster and for your great service!
- Jekyll and HydeRickVIPDined on 12/21/2013We, a group of seven foodies attracted by the reviews on the kitchen went for an evening of food and talk. Service and food was great. But, at dessert, a large, loud group grew at the bar. Ever louder, drinking sings and cheers, climbing on the furniture, etc. It made the rest of the evening intolerable. We are familiar with the OT rating "energetic'" and don't mind it. This noise was like being on a runway at BWI. It destroyed the rest of dinner and we left. For dinner, the time was great, for the last part, no. Since the menu is pricey, do we take a chance and go back or we recommend it? No. Each restaurant has to choose a style. More could be done to help this issue. But, it is odd to have a fine kitchen and staff, and this ambience.Special Features:
- West Kitchen & TavernGardenGirlDined on 11/23/2013The food was delicious. Loved the kale salad and grilled artichokes. My friend said the steak she had was the best ever she had tasted. Service was excellent. A gem within a hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit of a miss, this time aroundKateDDined on 11/2/2013Been to West many times but our most recent visit was a miss. Menu extremely limited though the food ordered was tasty- I particularly liked the roasted artichoke app. Wine ordered was not good & was mostly left in the bottle. It did not seem like an atmoshere condusive to my returning the bottle as the server did not comment on it, even though she recorked our nearly full bottle at the end of the meal. The most unfortunate part of our night was a walnut sized bit of ice, or something, that was in our icecream. We pointed it out to the server, who took it to the kitchen & then reported back that it was ice and 'nothing to worry about'. It was not removed from bill, which came in at $160 for two, before tip. Unsure if we'll return.Special Features:
- SurpriseKJKPBCDined on 10/26/2013Food was excellent, had a mixture of things we shared and all of it was fantastic. A little noisy and bright for a romantic evening but service was superb. Will definately go back againSpecial Features:
- Service was lacking... (seating)PJMill1122Dined on 10/26/2013I had a reservation for a group of 6 and the seating options- for such a huge space, were disappointing. The hostess was not very accommodating and not very apologetic that they couldn't do better. The food seemed to take quite a while but was very good when it arrived. The menu was relatively small. Since it is attached to the Loews Annapolis, it is convenient- but there are much better options just outside the doors. If you stay at the Loews Annapolis and want to eat there, go for brunch. Other than that it is good for a drink while meeting up with people and then heading out to the plethora of options in and around downtown Annapolis.
- Convenient Dining at the LoewscaptainmikeDined on 10/12/2013we were in Annapolis for the Sailboat Show, and because we were staying at The Loews, it was extremely convenient and relaxing to walk downstairs in the lovely hotel for our dinner on the first night in town. The atmosphere is warm and has a cozy feeling, with seating options of either a table or booth. Our server was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but good FoodK2SSDined on 10/5/2013We had been told the food here was worth the visit. The food was definetly worht the visit, however the noise level was so loud we couldn't hear our server and she couldn't hear us. The restaurant desparetly needs acoustic treatment not just due to the bar, the entire place needs sound absorption due to glass, high untreated ceilings and bar location. Our visit was suppose to be romantic but ehe volume of noise was painful. Won't go back unless improved upon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDeliciousDined on 10/4/2013Loved the limited menu. Every food choice we made was delicious. Gourmet food at reasonable prices. Service was attentive. Valet parking is awesome and service was incredible. Live entertainment was refreshing and awesome. All around great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Thursday night outBarbDined on 9/26/2013The hostess was extremely t;thoughtful of our seating preference. We were pleased to find out we had valet parking for dining as well. Oysters were delicious albeit a bit pricey. The encrusted catfish was a wonderful. The pork chop with the peas was terrific. Fish of the day was swordish with bok choi and chive mashed potatoes was also a big hit. The steak was well cooked - served with maybe too much sauce was the only criticism. Service was attentive without being overbearing. We had a very pleasant dining experience.-especially enjoyed the ambience - good lighting - could see the Thursday night football score whef we wanted - and did not feel rushed. Will come back - probably next time before a Ramshead show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunch spot outsidefoodiecutieVIPDined on 9/15/2013WEST Kitchen & Tavern is the restaurant attached to the Loews Hotel in downtown Annapolis. My husband and I had lunch there on Sunday. The place was not busy so we were seated right away on the outdoor terrace area and the weather was perfect. My husband had the Maryland crabcake sandwich with fries, which was delish! I had the Grilled Artichoke dish. At first, I was a little skeptical about Grilled Artichoke as a lunch item and I still think that it should not be a stand-alone lunch item on the menu. However, the artichoke was so addicting. The artichoke was grilled perfectly and was dusted with a wonderful spice and came with a side of remoulade dip. At $13, the artichoke dish was a little steep in price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/24/2013Had dinner here the night before the Annapolis ten-miler race. I had heard it was very good, and we were not let down. We sat outside with our friend and our 3 year old son. Our server was very friendly and helpful, and was attentive the whole evening. We started off with the house baked bread and the hummus plate, both of which were execellent. We had the garlic smeared steaks which were outstanding. The place had a nice laid-back vibe, too. We will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatextrapulpVIPDined on 8/22/2013The gin/basil/grapefruit Johnny Hawkins, the crisp & tangy fried green tomatoes, the smoky & flavorful broth with the steamed clams (and the toasty baguette that came with for sopping), and the fig/ham pizza of the day. All winners!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs a tune upJoJoDined on 8/21/2013My husband and i visited the restaurant last Wednesday with friends who were visiting from Australia. I was embarrased by the poor service. The drinks were slow coming to the table. 3 of the 4 meals were delievered and the 4th arrived about 10 minutes after the others. I was offered a soup or salad to make up for the bad timing of the delievery and to keep me tied over until my lunch arrived. I turned the offer down. The restaurant was not crowded. There appeared to be sufficient staff. I couldnt figure out what their problem was. My lunch was good when it finally arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WESTluv2dineoutDined on 8/17/2013We liked everything about WEST except for the fact that it is very pricey! Get ready to shell out UR money for this meal especially if you add alcohol!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West Kitchen Poor Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/16/2013We asked for the ceiling fans to be turned down or cut off above our table and we were told that it may be impossible to do it because it required a technician. To cut off a ceiling fan?? Then we noticed that the table next to us ceiling fan had stopped and ours had gotten faster! We asked about the ceiling fan at least 3-4times and nothing! Someone ordered t-bone steak and got strip steak, he sent it back and then tell told us there was no more t-bone steak! Some else had ordered salmon to be on top of his salad, he got the salad separate for appetizer and 1 piece a salmon on a SAUCER for the main course! Let me add the this place was almost empty! I will never go to West Kitchen again! Poor service and food! And it was almost emptySpecial Features:
- Great Brunch!JennGLIDined on 8/4/2013I went with a friend to West this Sunday for brunch. I had the French Toast w/pecans...it was amazing! The toast was just a touch crispy, not over egged and wimpy like some places. It was just perfect! She had the veggie fritatta and said it was very good as well. The coffee was so fresh and aromatic that she didn't add anything to it and the orange juice was very fresh tasting too. The food was fantastic and I will definintely go back! The server we had was a lovely gent and was very polite, attentive, and engaging without being annoying. He was very nice and took good care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual Elegence, Great FoodVictorDined on 8/3/2013Dine in the bar, outside or in the main restaurant - menu offers unique selections and everything that we ordered was great. Happy hour from 5-7 offered great deals on drinks and a select group of starters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary BrunchJBurellaVIPDined on 7/28/2013My husband and I had our first anniversary brunch here. I had been highly recommended to this place and had high expectations but was shocked upon entering as a server called to us from afar to come sit down greeting me. When I explained to her that we wanted to sit outside and had a reservation, she shoved me the menus and told me to pick a table. Wow. So rude and no sign of greeting. However, our server was kind and really took care of us. The food was incredible (French toast, oatmeal brulee, mimosas) and very beautiful as well as tasty. His kindness turned our experience around. This is why my ratings are fair or good. Had the female staff member taken her job of hospitality with greater care, it could have been excellent.Special Features:
- Expected moreJc41Dined on 7/12/2013Happy hour was wonderful, good food,service and prices were excellent, so I was looking forward to our dinner. The service was pretty good, the staff was very young but did a nice job. The upsetting part started with my appetizer, the chef had substituted the main ingredient with something else without informing me they were out. So needless to say that ruined the rest of my dinner.Special Features:
- Farm to Table Fresh!gourmetgirlVIPDined on 7/12/2013Farm to table is their focus - everything on their menu is delicious, from the lobster sliders on brioche buns to the grilled artichokes with the lemon aioli. The restaurant is close to downtown Annapolis and on weekends they have live music. The last time we were there they had a single guy on guitar that sang all the "James Taylor" era songs, it was really beautiful. The food really is wonderful, but even better yet are the drinks. They serve a list of mixed drinks that are to die for. I crave their Johnny Hawkins! You just have to try it out. Located in the Lowes Annapolis Hotel, they have free valet parking for diners. Try it it will become one of your favorites, it's one of ours!Special Features:
- Wonderful spot in Annapolis,DonnaVIPDined on 7/5/2013Wonderful spot in Annapolis, with a seasonal menu, delicious food with a special focus on fresh vegetables that makes the entrees particularly enjoyable. Nice outdoor patio, lovely inside dining room and spacious bar. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, terrible mgmntEatsDined on 7/4/2013We went there on July 4th for a quick bite before the fireworks. We arrived a little before 7:00 and didn't leave until 9:00. I'm not sure if they were understaffed because of the holiday or it's always like that. We waited nearly an hour just for appetizers. I don't think it was the waiter's fault - I think it was just poor management of people. It would have been nice to be told when we walked in that they were backed up-then we could have decided to stay or leave. The food was ok, but not as spectacular as the menu descriptions.
- Excellent Father's Day BrunchLindserDined on 6/16/2013We went here for Father's Day and had an excellent meal (Brunch). Food was excellent and different than traditional fare. I enjoyed a West Street Benedict, which was simply wonderful. Location and ambiance was great. Service was slow and at times and not the best in regards to refilling coffee, but the quality of food made up for the shortcomings. Staff was friendly (just slow). I definitely recommend this place for brunch and am excited to go back and try the lunch menu. The crab cake sandwich I saw coming from the Kitchen looked phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TERRIBLE! Waited 1 hr+ for food!UnhappyCamperDined on 6/16/201320 min. to even ORDERED coffee + 10 min. to get it. "Waiter" was "busy" so another guy took coffee order & got it. @40 min. "waiter" took our order. We were clear in our order; he even repeated 2x's how we wanted eggs cooked. Summary: Husband: pizza=bland & tasteless; daughter: cinnamon french toast=good; father: burger, medium=charred; mother: eggs, scrambled & well done, multigrain toast=eggs runny, w/ with Eng. muffin NOT toast; Me: same as mom, but w/ Eng. muffin= runny eggs, Eng. muffins were warm, not toasted. Sent burger back, choked down rest & left. 2 hour ordeal & they still wanted $70 for the "pleasure". 3rd & last time I will go there. 1st time was good, 2nd was bad, 3rd you know about. Bacon, potatoes French toast were good.
- Great food, service questionableaetcDined on 6/16/2013This was the third time in as many weeks that I ate at West but the first time for brunch. Once again, the food was excellent (mix of the sweet and salty raw oysters, crab dip, eggs benedict, vegetable frittata, the omelet). However, our experience was marred by the service. Even though the restaurant was not even halfway full, it took considerable time to receive our drinks and take our order and our coffee was refilled only once in spite of empty cups for most of meal. Our oysters and crab dip came out first, but the plates were not cleared. Even though we were finished with the appetizers by the time our main dishes came out, the stacked appetizer plates sat in the middle of the table for the remainder of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We felt the main dish selectionCapsFanVIPDined on 6/14/2013We felt the main dish selection a bit limited, but loved the "Taste" and "Share" selection so made a delicious meal of those.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/30/2013I wanted this to be more than a hotel restaurant but the end that is all it is. The food is boring, the service so-so and for these prices you could get much better.