1201 SW Jefferson St
Portland, OR 97201-3319Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.westcafepdx.com/
- Phone: 5032278189x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Northwest, International
- Executive Chef: Sean Concannon
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: West Cafe offers personalized caterings, customized for your personal needs. While mingling with appetizers seems to be the trend we also have catered sit down dinner parties in private homes. Choosing the flow for your event is important in setting the tone, and we are happy to help you make it the party you envision. You name it, brunches, luncheons, cocktail and dinner parties for starters. Office parties, award ceremonies or simply a gift to someone saying “thank you” for a deed they did for you. Please email or call with inquiries.
- Entertainment: West Café hosts free jazz music several times a month. Every Thursday night starting at 8 PM jazz educator and drummer Alan Jones hosts an ensemble of musicians. Every second Saturday of the month from 6-9PM "The Originals" play jazz standards from the 40’s, 50's and 60's. The repertoire is drawn from what is known as the "Great American Songbook" featuring composers such as Gershwin, Ellington, Rogers, Hart and more. Featured are Don McFarlane on piano, Morgan Curtis on drums and Jules Auger on string bass. Please check our website for additional events.
- Cross Street: SW 12th Ave.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: In addition to plentiful on street parking, customers are welcome to use a private parking lot next door to us. Simply enter the first driveway on the left after passing West Cafe on 12th Ave. and park in available spaces behind the tall building on the right.
A word from West Cafe
“Where the atmosphere and fare is simply inspired.”Continued
Fresh healthy cuisine that won’t break your wallet. Casual, but comfortable. Enjoy lunch, dinner, Sunday brunch or happy hour cocktails and snacks.
Fresh healthy cuisine that won’t break your wallet. Casual, but comfortable. Enjoy lunch, dinner, Sunday brunch or happy hour cocktails and snacks.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
West Cafe - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
West Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (17)great for lunch (13)good for groups (10)special occasion (9)great for brunch (8)romantic (5)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Pricey for the QualityhelensDined on 10/18/2014We live six blocks from the restaurant and wish we had better experiences when we went there. My husband's Aloo Gobi was so lightly spiced as to approach tasteless and the amount of cauliflower overwhelmed the other ingredients. I fared better with the Black Bean Quesadilla salad. We had OBT at 7:30 and a reservation at 5:45, but they seemed overwhelmed and encouraged us to order as soon as our friend sat down. It would be easier to order if you didn't have four pieces of paper to handle: a menu, a specials list, a wine list (two-sided), and a salad menu (two-sided). We did not have appetizers and the two of us who ordered salads had them as entrees. Our food didn't arrive until 6:20. We didn't have dessert, but we still felt rushed.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and ambianceGeriDined on 10/18/2014We were in a group of 5, one being a vegetarian. Then menu had so many wonderful choices and they even had 4 vegetarian choices! 3 were on the menu and 1 was on the specials menu. We all loved our meals and desserts! We had lamb, Hanger steak and pork. The meat just melted in your mouth. The sides were also very good. Our waitress was great and we had a wonderful, relaxed meal before heading to the symphony. You can always count on great drinks, meals and desserts!Special Features:
- Fine Neighborhood SpotrestaurantloverDined on 10/17/2014A group of 4 of us had brunch/lunch here. The service was warm and wonderful. The menu was varied and we ordered 4 different meals, which were all excellent. They allowed us to linger, too, as we all caught up with each other's news!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GloriaADined on 10/15/2014Enjoyed our evening and dinner at West Cafe. Was our first experience there. We will return for the service, food & drink, and ambiance.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceretiredinpdxVIPDined on 10/13/2014My wife and I went to West Cafe for the first time, and took my brother and his wife. We had four different entrees, and all were excellent. Our server was friendly and helpful, and we all thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Just eat hereTheColonelVIPDined on 10/5/2014I have always enjoyed West Cafe and this was no exception. Great food, good service, creative food. great location. easy walk from the City trolly too.Special Features:
- Favorite new restaurantPDExpertDined on 9/12/2014West Cafe is my new go-to place for happy hour and dinner. Exceptional service and the food was superb, everyone is our group loved it.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and atmospheregfpdxgalDined on 8/22/2014We have been here a couple of times and love it! The food is outstanding and the service is excellent. I have a severe gluten intolerance and they have completely taken care of me. We love going here. No negatives about this place!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Our book group met at West Cafe for a special night of socializing. They accommodated us - 20 people! - very nicely. Our server was excellent! The menu was varied with both selection and price and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another winning meal!RamreadsDined on 8/12/2014The West Cafe never disappoints. Great food and friendly service. There is always a spark of originality in there menu. One of my favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet elegance, fine food, quietPrytaniaDined on 7/28/2014Our party of 5 was delighted with our dinner experience this past Monday evening. Very well prepared seasonal entrees including excellent gazpacho. Good range of gluten free options - a surprising treat for one of us. Interesting selection of appetizers, some hearty. Good wine list. And, so important, quiet! Good place to meet friends and catch up. Tables far enough apart so that you aren't in anyone else's conversation. Very competent, friendly servers. Quick walk from downtown. We easily found on street parking, two hour limit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014West Cafe is consistently Pleasant dining experience with excellent food, exceptional service and low noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazzy ambianceeddieDined on 7/12/2014This cozy cafe easily accommodated our group of 6 as we dined and listened to the Jazzy trio "The Originals". It was the perfect mix of music, conversation and delicious drinks and dinner!Special Features:
- Great Food, Great ServiceGarweinDined on 6/28/2014Been awhile since we were there and we forget how good West Cafe is for wonderful food, terrific service and prices that do not max out your credit card. It is also a pleasure to find a restaurant where a table group can have a conversation without shouting at each other. Cafe West also has a really good and diverse Happy Hour menu at reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 65 reviews are from the West Cafe reviews archive.
- The food was goodJeffVIPDined on 6/21/2014The food was good but they decided to close early because it was slow. They let the chef go home early so we were limited to eating appetizers.
- Favorite dining spotRamreadsDined on 5/27/2014We love The West Cafe. The food is well prepared, interesting, and delicious. We have benn many times and are never been disappointed. Convenient to downtown, we often dine there before the theater or symphony.Special Features:
- Deb's birthday brunchmoreveggiepleaseDined on 5/25/2014This was a perfect fit for 4 diners who wanted to try something different. 2 of us were veggies and there were so many options that fit that need. The only thing that was lacking was the inconsistent wait service. The young man who filled our water was very attentive and helpful, our waitress forgot about us for a while, and didn't bring the 4 lunch until a few minutes after we had all been served. Other than that it was a lovely experience.Special Features:
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2014We go to West monthly for lunch The food is wonderful and so is the service. I am so glad we have West in our neighborhood!Special Features:
- Ok food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014We went there for mother's day brunch. We took our little ones and felt distinctly unwelcome. The ambience was aimed at a older crowd which is fine, but kids being kids wasn't acceptable. All that said, this would be forgivable if the food was outstanding. Unfortunately the food was just OK.Special Features:
- Always yummychompDined on 5/11/2014We live in the neighborhood and have been to West Cafe many times, from breakfast to late night. The food is consistently delicious and nuanced. The servers are attentive, the owners always make you feel welcomed and the occasional live music is refreshing. Occasionally the kitchen can get backed up if there is an influx of people. Just have another drink, it's always worth the wait.Special Features:
- Always a pleasure at West CafeluvWestCafeDined on 5/2/2014We chose to make a "tapas" dinner from the soup and appetizers menu. Left us room for the Sacher torte for dessert. Gluten-free paradise of many cuisines, creative chef, nice wines. A+ Walking distance to concerts, museums, Park Blocks, PSUSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing mealhelensDined on 4/26/2014We've been going to West Cafe since we moved to Goose Hollow seven years ago. The recent menu changes have made the options limited for vegetarians. Gone are the smoked tofu that could be added to the salads, the macaroni and cheese, the black bean quesadilla, the salads unless you specifically ask if the side salads are available in a larger size. They are, but the waitress wasn't sure of the price. The waitress did not offer more iced tea. She didn't refill our water without being asked or offer more bread. The Aloo Gobi was so lightly spiced it didn't seem to have any discernible taste. One lonely piece of potato sat with the cauliflower. Yes, it was a side dish, but still . . . We'll have to find a different neighborhood restaurant.
- Food good, not greatTryiingnewplacesDined on 4/25/2014Good food, good service but overpriced. Wine selection limited but what they had was good.Special Features:
- Good downtown locationOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/22/2014Great food, excellent service, nice dinner spot, easy parking on the street. Great downtown find. Took special care for the allergies represented at our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodWinerDined on 4/18/2014I have eaten at West Café many times and the food is consistently great. The specials are fabulous. Try the Key Lime Pie too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual jewel in SW PortlandOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/16/2014West Cafe was the perfect place to meet friends or coworkers for lunch or happy hour. Our large group found something for everyone on the menu and daily specials sheet—delicious meatloaf sandwich, a sophisticated take grilled cheese, several light and healthy salads, even a nice twist on a vegetarian curry. The service was friendly and accommodating, and the dining area is comfortable, welcoming and QUIET. (One of the few places I can think of where acoustics make it easy to hear the conversation at your table.) One last mention: my husband and I returned for a terrific Sunday brunch, with sweet and savory breakfast and lunch options. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute spotBee503Dined on 4/13/2014My food was very good but not outstanding. The service was pleasant - our waitress was a doll. Prices were what I expected. Good experience!Special Features:
- Friendly atmosphere, wideOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014Friendly atmosphere, wide expanse of windows that brighten the room, wonderful food, and amazing staff who are welcoming, personable, efficient and resourceful. It's a 'gold star' experience for us always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- key lime key lime key limeWimmieDined on 4/11/2014I am sure this little gem is often overlooked by foodies. It isn't in a "trendy" spot in the city. Nor is it "trendy". However, it is straight forward...excellent food, outstanding service, very friendly staff, with a NYC neighborhood feel. It seems settled and sure of itself. It should be, because it's terrific. Oh, and the best key lime pie I have ever eaten...and I'm from the south with a mother who was a baker.Special Features:
- This is an unfound treasure.HappyCamperDined on 3/31/2014This is an unfound treasure. Food is excellent, using lots of local ingredients and different cuisines. Old fashioned meat loaf to lamb to fish. Three of us each had tasty dishes. Very nice wine selection and full bar. Service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable, delicious, pleasing.LeoPDined on 3/28/2014I'm becoming a frequent flyer - love this restaurant and staff - perfect every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/22/2014I've probably walked past West Cafe a dozen times in my travels to Portland. It looks very unassuming from the street, and is deceptive in its appearance. I booked a reservation there through Open Table because it was close to where I was staying and the menu looked diversified. What a lovely place it turned out to be. There was live music - a soulful but relaxing jazz singer on keyboards with a wonderful guitar accompaniment - pleasant ambiance, fantastic staff, and amazing food. I'm looking forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food with Good FriendsJohnSDined on 3/18/2014We enjoyed a nice dinner with four friends before heading off to a concert. Staff were very good about getting us finished in time for our 7:30 pm curtain raising, without seeming hurried about it. If you're in the southwest end of downtown Portland, West Cafe is a pleasant place for a good meal. The ambient noise is fairly low, so it's a good place for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BummerCKD33Dined on 3/16/2014We have been going to the West Cafe for brunch every year at this time. Their food is usually very good. Unfortunately, the special (corned beef with a poached egg) was horribly overdone and not worth eating. We had several people at the table, but we were never offered more coffee, asked is everything was OK, asked if anyone needed new beverages, nothing. It was not overly busy, but communication was extremely difficult. If I pay $2 for coffee, I expect to have it on hand and ready to go. I expect to be offered a refresher or even a new cup, if the liquid is cooled. Our bill could not be split up for some reason-I guess you can't add the gratuity to everyone's bill, right? Disappointing to say the least.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely returnMikeMDined on 3/13/2014I don't often have lunch meetings in Portland, however, when I do, this will be a top choice. The staff at West Cafe went out of their way to make sure we were in a quiet corner away from the road construction the city had started that morning. They accommodated my very early arrival and took great care of us throughout our lunch meeting. The restaurant atmosphere was quiet and comfortable and we had a wonderful meeting, thanks in part to the work of the staff to attend to our needs. The food was excellent as well. My colleagues had dessert and it looked wonderful...as if in the nicest restaurants in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately, my partnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/12/2014Unfortunately, my partner found a human hair in her Caesar salad. While the salad was replaced and comped, the incident left a bad taste (pun intended). The chicken pot pie was also disappointing.
- Wonderful location for greatBeckyDined on 3/11/2014Wonderful location for great dinner prior to an event, parking is easy, food is great and servers get you out on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West Cafe - a neighborhood gemMDMDDined on 3/1/2014We live a block from West Cafe (12th and SW Jefferson St)..............................it has never failed us. Birthday gatherings, Happy Hour, quiet dinners, solitary lunches.......................and special occasion Brunches.................................it fits the bill. The owners and staff are stellar and they know our names and try to seat us at our favorite table if it's available. The food is creative and delicious, especially Connie's desserts ! The wine list is not extensive but I think that's good. It's readable and there are excellent choices. And the prices are reasonable. West Cafe is our go to place for a meal or snack in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz Night - Feb. 26OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/26/2014We have a friend who took a jazz workshop and the "final" was to sing three jazz songs on Wed. evening, Feb 26th. Although we were in the way back dining area - farthest from the floor show, we could see and hear all the jazz workshop students just fine from where we were. Plus we were able to have a fabulous dinner while listening. Thanks for a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodFrankDined on 2/14/2014The house salad and the appetizer (mushrooms in sherry w/brie on a bed of arugula) was good. My wife loved the butternut squash with hazelnuts and grilled chicken. I was slightly less happy with the chicken pot pie whose crust was good, but uninspiring, as were both the chicken and the vegetables in it. Desert was a redemption, the dutch apple crumb pie ala mode being fabulous. So what keeps me from rating this place higher? It was a bit too noisy, I didn't care much for the atmosphere - a bit too industrial for me and the dining area layout made you feel as if you were in a fishbowl. My food being a bit uninspiring was not a deal-killer, as I'd come back again, just with my expectations set a bit lower. It was a great value for the price.Special Features: