1 Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA 02139Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.westbridgerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6179450221
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday
5:30 - Midnight
Monday - Sunday until 1 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Matthew Gaudet
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: West Bridge has an intimate private dining space that seats 12 guests, or 20 for a cocktail reception. A long reclaimed wood table is flanked by floor-to-ceiling windows with a retractable door that can be open so guests are able to experience the energy of the restaurant. West Bridge is available for a full buyout.
- Private Party Contact: Alexis Gelburd-Kimler 6179450221
- Cross Street: Hampshire Street and Portland Street
- Public Transit: West Bridge is near the MBTA Kendall Square Red Line station, as well as the Number 85 and CT2 bus lines.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available in the One Kendall Square parking garage behind the One Kendall Square complex on Binney Street, right next to the Kendall Square Cinema. West Bridge would be happy to validate your parking.
A word from West Bridge
Located just over Boston's original "West Boston Bridge," West Bridge serves french-inspired food with a New England perspective in a modern and comfortable environment. The rustic loft-inspired room boasts 18-foot ceilings, reclaimed woods and metal beams all in a casual, industrial-style space. With an emphasis on hospitality, the owners of West Bridge look forward to welcoming you into their home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
West Bridge - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
West Bridge reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (105)neighborhood gem (49)great for outdoor dining (35)special occasion (35)vibrant bar scene (35)good for groups (34)hot spot (30)great for lunch (20)romantic (18)notable wine list (13)late-night find (11)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- West Bridge reviewJohnnyDined on 8/22/2014We had nice meal at West Bridge. The skate and the striped bass were extremely good. The service was attentive, but in a way a bit rigid. They kept asking us whether they could take away our plates and that aspect was not very relaxing.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experience!PhilDined on 8/21/2014I had heard great things about West Bridge since it opened, and it did not disappoint. I recommend the small plates, as they allow you to experience a broader sample of Chef Gaudet's menu. Everything we tried was absolutely fantastic, and you have to try the egg in a jar! The staff was exceptional. From helping design our courses to showing the utmost courtesy and friendliness, they went above and beyond to ensure we had the best dining experience possible. From the second we walked in the door, they really made us feel like we were special. The restaurant is very high energy, so if you are looking for a quiet dinner it is probably not the best option, but it is absolutely a must-try.Special Features:
- Excellent Restaurant in Kendall SqOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014Delicious! Food was very good, and service was excellent. You'll find other reviewers recommending the egg in a jar. It was certainly delicious, but maybe a little overrated and over-recommended. West Bridge is in a building that has high ceilings so the acoustics aren't the best. You'll find yourself speaking louder than normal with your friends to be heard over the general noise and music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go back in a heart beat.J33DOWDined on 8/20/2014Try the Lamb Belly, the Kale and of course the signature Duck egg! We turned the meal into a tapas event by ordering lots of the smaller dishes.Special Features:
- Minimalist and ImaginativetallredVIPDined on 8/17/2014We love the opportunity to taste a number of dishes, and West Bridge fills the bill! What an interesting set of menu items, and ALL complex and wonderful tastes. Would go back in a heartbeat to try more. Suggest that cloth draped over the beams would dampen the sound but not destroy the minimalist decor. Sunday night is a good time to go, as it was not full and therefore not too noisy, as per prior reviews. Our waiter was disorganized and slow but cheery. We'll definitely return for the food. P.S. The menu says, "ask for bread"--take that advice, as it is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very creative food, friendly staffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Enjoyed the food, staff was great. Bad choice on the wine but would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West BridgewestbridgeyumDined on 8/14/2014Great service and beautiful spot. We sat outside and it got a little chilly, but we wanted to enjoy the nice weather while possible. The food was delicious, especially the kale salad and egg in the jar. The pasta dish was too salty and disappointing, but overall West Bridge was a great find and has terrific staff. Thank you Travis! I'll be back to try dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is very good, service is mehlsullVIPDined on 8/9/2014Our server (who we've had before) is very robot-like. She has a standard script and if you go off the script (by asking questions or having a problem with the food/drink), she doesn't know how to handle it. A think some server training would go a long way in making this a first-class dining experience.Special Features:
- InnovativeHunt4finefoodDined on 8/9/2014Took the tasting menu. 4 out of 5 dishes great with 1 not quite blending as expected. Innovative combination of flavors. Right size portions. Well cooked and presented. Service also strong; attentive but not intrusive. Will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealgenacmDined on 8/9/2014My daughter just moved to Boston so I got out my list of restaurants I want to try; West Bridge was on the list having been recommended by friends and a couple of foodie sites. Didn't disappoint. We had a variety of small plates plus one large plate to share, a couple of nice bottles of wine, interesting cocktails and satisfying desserts. I was especially partial to the pasta with miso sauce, but everything was tasty and inventive. Maybe a little heavy handed with the fresh fruit which appeared scattered atop almost everything, but complaining about too much fresh fruit isn't really a complaint, is it?Special Features:
- lovegoodfoodDined on 7/30/2014We went for dinner.The music was to loud to have a conversation,but we got a table outside,so it was nice.The host was very nice. Cocktails were OK- mine was excellent and my husband's was fair.The food was very good.To me at this price range they need to have better service.It would help if our waiter incorporates "I am sorry" in his vocabulary.He took my plate with some food on it without asking if I am done and when I said with a smile"oh,I am sorry,I am still working on it" he just looked at me and put it back. We had 2 small plates each and wait between the first and the the second was 35 min.Our waiter didn't check on us,and when we finally asked, he was irritated.The food was very good but I am not sure we will be back any time soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/28/2014The food and service at West Bridge was fantastic! We enjoyed everything we ate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Fine dining at One Kendall Square, with sophisticated yet approachable cuisine. Interestingly conceived small plates and main dishes come well-executed and well-portioned. The style of service is informative but not intrusive.Special Features:
- disappointed! what happened?ellebeeDined on 7/23/2014I went here on a lunch date and sat outside. It was rated top new patios in Boston on Thrillist and my date was from out of town and wanted somewhere cool with great food. I work nearby and have been here for lunch before and had great food. I am not sure what happened this time! I got the tuna burger which was very strange and had more salmon than tuna. The bun was a standard stale grocery store bun. I would expect a more artisan type of roll or bread from and establishment like this. The side was chips that were likely not made in house. Drinks were seasonal and festive and we both enjoyed them. He ordered a burger and the waiter did not ask how he wanted it cooked. There was no one else dining on the patio and plenty of seats.
- Always excellentjr2204VIPDined on 7/19/2014We've eaten several times at West Bridge. The standard remains high -- food imaginative and finely executed, wines always interesting, service friendly and knowledgeable. We somehow never manage to get beyond the small dishes -- so many don't-miss things there! -- but must say that the larger items (especially those for two) look terrific as well. Needless to say, we'll be back.Special Features:
- Great place in Kendall SquareMinaDined on 7/18/2014Would definitely recommend it! The food was delicious. We tried different small plates, but fell in love with egg in a jar. We actually ended up ordering it twice as a dessert. Very nice for casual dinner or catch up with some friends. On top of that, the service was impeccable and our waiter made us laugh throughout the entire dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Confusing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/7/2014Each dish had too many flavors. There were sauces, pickles, and egg yolks on everything. The kitchen is certainly talented but needs to find restraint. The service was disappointing. Our water was served in warm glasses and despite requesting lemon twice it never came. Also, one server reached so far across our table when that I needed to put the plate down for him less he fall over or spill. We were never given an explanation of the dessert, which would have been helpful as we could not identify the ice cream's flavor. Finally, the server would not tell us what is on the chef's menu at first order The fish and duck were cooked expertly. The beef-mushroom soup was the highlight. But the service was mediocre and food was too complicated.Special Features:
- A Very Enjoyable CelebrationRebaDined on 6/29/2014Staff at restaurant made us fell special. They were aware that we were celebrating both an anniversary and a birthday and presented us with some bubbly before we ordered. The server was knowledgeable and her recommendations made our dining experience more pleasurable. This was a very enjoyable celebration. NOTE: Do want to be able to submit reviews in the future. Didn't mean to click on "DO NOT SEND.'Special Features:
- West BridgeMDynanDined on 6/28/2014West Bridge is an excellent restaurant. The chef is very creative and inventive. The small plates give diners an opportunity to try many different dishes, all of which have lots of interesting flavors. Clearly, a lot of thought has gone into their creation. I've been there 3 times and highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly Excitingabnormal456Dined on 6/24/2014I had eaten at West Bridge for lunch several times because I work in the area and the menu was fairly simple. This was my first time going for dinner and I was blown away by the food quality and interest. The menu does not do the dishes justice! For example: "Kale" was the title of one dish with the other ingredients listed below with little description, but out comes one of the best kale salads I have ever had that had quite a bit of duck confit and an addicting dressing. Do not let the appeared simplicity fool you, every dish we had was on point and very well thought out. Great dining experience.Special Features:
- Excellent!AsianfoodieDined on 6/14/2014very innovative menu! Must try the Egg in the Jar. Drinks are well made too. Will definitely come back and try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many tasty optionsGrampsterDined on 6/14/20143 of us enjoyed many of their small plates. We saw that the noise level can be high, so we had a 5:30 reservation and we had no problems whatsoever. Our server Jason was very knowledgeable and checked back with us just the right amount. He advised that 6 small plates would be about right for the three of us. We left full but not overly so. It was just right. Ordered the skirt steak (wonderful), Mussels (very tasty), the egg cup (mixed reviews but I liked it), Cauliflower (very good), and the salmon (very fresh). The bar manager came over to introduce himself and describe a few of the beer selections. Nice personal touch. Overall a very enjoyable evening and we would go again.Special Features:
- Great but noisywinegeekVIPDined on 6/13/2014I really like West Bridge. The food and service are worthy of writing home about. However, during the week, it's hard to get in, and the noise level is daunting. We went on Friday night, MIT is not in session, and we went right after work, so the place was initially uncrowded and quietly energetic. But, by the time we left, it was packed, and the noise was hovering between 85-95dB, simply above comfort level. I don't like yelling across the table to be heard.
- mimiDined on 6/10/2014The food was great. The server was terrific. The noise level is horrendous. Because we want to come back when we can have a regular conversation, the server suggested coming at 5:30 when they open or on Sunday. We have told our friends about the restaurant and the suggestions on normal noise levels.Special Features:
- Late lunch at WestbridgeIndustrygirlDined on 6/10/2014The food was excellent as always. The service was thoughtful and friendly. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tapnhotDined on 6/7/2014Instead of the usual pre-dinner bread, we received two pieces of crispy chicken skin with small diced apples and a lovey sauce. The lamb belly dish was spectacular. Egg in a cup, the most noted dish amongst reviews, tasted like the creamiest mashed potatoes. The pieces of crispy duck fat were a lovely addition. Other delicious dishes were the gnocchi and skirt steak. The carrots unfortunately tasted of liquor. Overall, probably one of the more fattening meals I've had but one of the more delicious.Special Features:
- A "Go To" EverytimewannabfoodieDined on 6/7/2014West Bridge continues to impress. We went for our 5 year anniversary knowing how much we love their food, drinks, atmosphere and service. The experience surpassed our already high expectations.Special Features:
- Out of syncJoeFDined on 6/6/2014I have been to West Bridge a few times, and I enjoyed the novelty of the food each time (including this one). However, this last visit was not as great as in previous visits, as the service was a bit off. This is not entirely the waiter's fault. We had a large group with, with everyone having different expectations of the restaurant. The waiter tried his best to keep up with the questions, but you could tell he eventually gave up. So, this service rating gets a 2, but so do we :) The noise level was unusually high. I will go back again, but perhaps with a smaller group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting MenugazpachoguruDined on 6/6/2014I've always enjoyed the food at West Bridge and took the opportunity after my graduation to celebrate with the chef's tasting menu. The food was delicious and filling. We also did the wine/cocktail pairings which really made the meal.Special Features:
- Not bad...room for improvementclarabeauDined on 5/31/2014Good variety of dishes. Duck liver pate was great. The chicken main course was a little blah...no wow factor. Desserts Restaurant is very open with high ceiling and tends to be noisy.Special Features:
- Thoroughly splendidlwh61VIPDined on 5/24/2014I regret that I didn't get to West Bridge before now. We were a party of four, two foodie college students and one set of parents. We had trouble choosing as everything looked so compelling, but were helped by our server and his spot-on descriptions. His answers could not have been more clear, something that is lacking in many great restaurants. We were hungry, so sailed past recommendations and ordered 3 small plates each with one share (chicken). The egg in a jar is rightfully spoken of in hushed tones- it elicited an "oh my god" when I ate it. Other highlights were cauliflower, gnocchi (two orders), tuscan kale, and the chicken, w/ some leftovers for lunch. The room gets noisy but we coped by eating. It really was an amazing meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/21/20147 of us shared 20+ items and it was an amazing way to experience all that West Bridge has to offer. skate cheek, egg jar, escargot day; dandelion salad; salmon- all superbSpecial Features:
- WilchDined on 5/19/2014Creative menu, a bit pricey. Also, a bit difficult to converse with sound level.Special Features:
- This IS what's cooking in Kendall .fishing4abiteDined on 5/18/2014We wanted to see what all the buzz was about. At first the menu seemed a little intimidating, lots of unknown food terms and hardly a description of how the dishes were prepared.We quickly realized that this is a chef who really knows his vegetables and more and has come up with unique dishes and flavors to awaken our palates. Grilled cauliflower with apricot and the kale salad with duck confit and goosberries were two of our favorites. We will go back again to try the carrots and the duck egg, this time armed with a food dictionary and the knowledge that any chef who has you pining for vegetables or searching on line for where ot buy gooseberries, has got to be great !Special Features:
- Hubby's new favefoodiesnobmomDined on 5/17/2014"I can see why this chef is so awarded," said my husband, the skeptic. We got the 5-course tasting, so our dishes weren't on the menu, but they were outstanding. The homemade pasta was particularly good, as was the cauliflower steak. If noise is an issue for you, you may want to go in the summer when there is outdoor seating, but you don't want to miss this place.Special Features:
- Creative, great food and drinkeaterDined on 5/17/2014Had a great time, despite the loud, raucous environment. Cavernous room with brick walls fill with noise which detracts from the flavors of the food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West Bridge ExperiencefromawayDined on 5/17/2014Service was top notch , Food was delicious and inventive. Very accommodating for food allergies .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/14/2014We came to the restaurant for a birthday celebration. I had read many glowing reviews. I found the experience disappointing. The setting was not engaging. We waited a long time for food and then between courses. The food itself was good but not great.
- Creative fun for the tongueOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/9/2014Everything was delicious-- but the roasted cauliflower steaks were one of the best things I've eaten this year. Still dreaming about it. The roast pork shoulder was a tad salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 449 reviews are from the West Bridge reviews archive.
- Very tasty and inventive.RobertaDined on 4/30/2014Loved the food. Everything was excellent. Great for sharing. Staff was kind, helpful and considerate. Very good value. Looking forward to returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.