1 Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA 02139Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.westbridgerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 945-0221
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday
5:30 - Midnight
Monday - Sunday until 1 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Matthew Gaudet
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: West Bridge has an intimate private dining space that seats 12 guests, or 20 for a cocktail reception. A long reclaimed wood table is flanked by floor-to-ceiling windows with a retractable door that can be open so guests are able to experience the energy of the restaurant. West Bridge is available for a full buyout.
- Private Party Contact: Alexis Gelburd-Kimler 6179450221
- Cross Street: Hampshire Street and Portland Street
- Public Transit: West Bridge is near the MBTA Kendall Square Red Line station, as well as the Number 85 and CT2 bus lines.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available in the One Kendall Square parking garage behind the One Kendall Square complex on Binney Street, right next to the Kendall Square Cinema. West Bridge would be happy to validate your parking.
A word from West Bridge
Located just over Boston's original "West Boston Bridge," West Bridge serves french-inspired food with a New England perspective in a modern and comfortable environment. The rustic loft-inspired room boasts 18-foot ceilings, reclaimed woods and metal beams all in a casual, industrial-style space. With an emphasis on hospitality, the owners of West Bridge look forward to welcoming you into their home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
West Bridge - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
West Bridge reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (121)good for groups (54)neighborhood gem (50)special occasion (43)hot spot (43)vibrant bar scene (31)notable wine list (29)romantic (27)great for outdoor dining (26)great for lunch (20)late-night find (15)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- HopalleeDined on 11/19/2014Food was good but not great. Cocktails were genunuinley excellent. Unfortunatley it took over an hour from ordering or food to receive it. Drink service was also slow.Special Features:
- Not the best for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/18/2014This is the first time that I've gone to West Bridge for lunch -- expecting the same great experience that I've had a dinner -- and I was very disappointed. The limited lunch menu was dull in the extreme -- roast beef sandwich, plain grilled fish over kale salad. Unfortunately, neither my companion nor I had the burger, which seems to be the star of the show at this time of day. No desserts, either -- just ice cream. On the plus side, the noise level was reasonable (which is generally not the case at dinner time) -- though why did the staff try to seat us between two full tables in the only partly full restaurant. Lunch seems like a real afterthought for West Bridge. If they can't be bothered, why should I?
- Another great meal at West BridgeSigLigVIPDined on 11/12/2014Great food, service -- even the tap water is terrific and plentiful. I can only say good on ambiance because I requested a quiet spot and didn't get it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vivid flavorsjr2204VIPDined on 11/11/2014West Bridge continues to impress. The menu has been reshaped -- not always as I would have wished ... But the quality remains high: the new lamb neck is terrific, cocktails excellent, stimulating wines, friendly and knowledge service -- a great place for dinner or just drinks.Special Features:
- Fabulous food, generic ambiance.eatHARTYDined on 11/8/2014Not a fan of backless chairs. Luckily we got a booth. Generic bar ambiance. Great food, though. I'm a vegetarian and they worked hard to get it right for me. Kale salad, brussel sprouts & quinoa were all fresh, 'different' and delicious. May not sound fabulous to you, but was for me. The hostess had zero personality and lacked any warmth (really, not an inkling) but the waiter and the rest of staff more than made up for it. Waiter was fantastic, attentive and dealt with my cranky mother and won her over. We didn't stay for dessert as we were going to see a film.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!BostondinerDined on 11/7/2014Menu was fun, creative and spot on delicious! Our server was outstanding and good beer selection. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite place in CambridgeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/4/2014Been here a bunch. Always delivers. Top spot that I recommend to visitors and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deafeningOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/4/2014Although the food was lovely--artfully presented and spectacularly delicious--we had to lean into each others' faces to hear a syllable. The ambient noise was so awful, unremitting and loud that we all felt relieved to get back outside. It was oppressive--no one in our party wanted to linger a moment more than necessary to finish the meal. There are no noise-cushioning/absorbing features, so the sound reverberates off of all the hard surfaces. Lest you think this is the whingeing of some cranky deaf person, all four people in our party felt the same way, and we ranged in age from 23 to 70.Special Features:
- Service was brutalCambervillianDined on 11/1/2014The 5 course tasting menu took over 3 hours, 20-30 minutes between courses. Dessert was the worst despite the fact that it was a dry cookie with melted ice cream. Servers were running around the restaurant like there was a fire, but we never saw ours between courses. The runner who brought out the first few courses was very knowledgeable about the food and described the plates in detail, but our waiter who brought out the last courses had no idea what he was serving us. Since the tasting menu courses were not detailed on the paper menu, we never found out what was in the dishes. The savory courses were fantastic and they were coming out hot so they weren't sitting like the dessert, but I would not recommend or go back. Not worth the price.Special Features:
- Fantastic SplurgeJennMasonFoodieDined on 11/1/2014We took advantage of the Kitchen Tasting Menu that was delicious. It's not cheap at $75 per person, but it's worth EVERY penny if you love good food. The flavor profile from dish to dish was perfectly orchestrated. I'm only sad we can afford it once a week. Just FYI, the tasting menu is made up entirely of NON-menu items, which I think is fantastic. If you're short on time and going to a movie nearby, definitely hop up to the bar to get a yummy cocktail and the Egg in the jar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lackluster foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/31/2014Disappointed in the food. Pasta with broccolini had scarcely any broccolini. Cauliflower was so hard I could not cut it with a knife. It was tasteless and practically uncooked. The quinoa dish was the worst. Bland and boring with the exception of the celery root purée which was very good. Sprouts on top were a misstep. Raw sprouts are very unappealing. Service was very nice except right after I told the waitress I was ordering a vegetarian meal she brought an amuse bouche with chicken. I had not been here for a year and was looking forward to what I remembered as original creative food with an emphasis on vegetables. Not the same at all!
- Excellent food and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Great place for foodies! Totally recommend it if you like a casual dinner and quality drinks. Plus service is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Service subparwkathymVIPDined on 10/29/2014I've been to West Bridge a few times and have always liked whatever I've ordered. This time, the service was terrible. We ordered a few small plates, and two "sharable" plates, which are essentially entrees. The small plate arrived about 15 minutes after the order (very tasty ribs), but it took about 45 minutes for the 3 other plates we had ordered to arrive. We got no "sorry" or any kind of apology when we had inquired why our order was taking so long--and then it took another 15 minutes! Also, one thing we had ordered, the cauliflour, was omitted and did not arrive. The hand-torn pasta with broccoli rabe was way too greasy. West Bridge makes all sorts of "best of" lists. I was very disappointed this time. They should do better.Special Features:
- Great Find!KellyGDined on 10/25/2014Ive walked past West Bridge a few times over the past year and it has always been full so I have been meaning to try it. The ambiance was very cool, great lighting, long bar, and windows all around. The food was absolutely fantastic. The menu is filled with small to medium plates, so meant for sharing, and I thought the flavor pairings were so unique. I will definitely be back there again mostly because the food was so great and the ambiance was perfect for a night out with friends!Special Features:
- A little darktakoDined on 10/21/2014This was our first time at West Bridge. Overall, it's a great place and I would definitely recommend it. Service was excellent. However, the lighting was very dim to the point that I didn't feel that I could see the food properly, or identify the color of certain items, especially if they were served on dark plates. We asked our server for a recommendation regarding the quantity we should order, and while I'm sure that she had the best intentions, we were basically done by the time that the shared main arrived. The food was good, although the skate was definitely on the very salty side. I would go back and use a different ordering strategy next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding.CKNYDined on 10/11/2014This is the second time I went to WestBridge the food is amazing. Half way through dinner, my friend and decided we wanted to leave-- nothing with the restaurant we just had other things planned for the evening and running late. The owner came over to make sure everything was okay. I thought that was great front house service. We assured her it was user error on our part and the food was awesome. We took the rest of what we ordered to go. I devoured it the next day-- it was amazing as leftovers!!!Special Features:
- One of the bestaworldtravelerDined on 10/4/2014Been here many times and never disappoints. The food here is always great and the absolute worst dish you'll get is "good". Service is excellent. Up there was the best in Boston/Cambridge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining at a great priceDmitryBVIPDined on 9/26/2014Tasting menus with beverage pairings were perfect, our server was very nice and attentive - and the prices were a pleasant surprise. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- PretentiousOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/26/2014Food was overpriced, lacking in seasoning and very disappointing. 'had the egg in a jar - mashed potato and a slighty overcooked egg, could have been so much more than that - the clams - a watery and overly sweet dish, that was a million miles from even a good vongole - the lamb - touted as merguez and couscous - there was no spice, no seasoning, the coucsous was a cold salad, the whole thing was wronger than wrong and the main event, the lamb was just horrid
- Inventive foodjnbcambridgeDined on 9/26/2014The duck liver "toast" has to be one of the very best food bargains in Cambridge. The lamb belly was delicious as well and our server efficient and very friendly.Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Picked West Bridge off a Gluten free Website. I have a Gluten and dairy Allergy. My dining partner has a nut allergy. We both are eating Paleo. Our Waiter went way out his way to continually check with the chef. Awesome food prepared fresh. I can't stress enough. TRY THIS PLACE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelent foodVladDined on 9/24/2014All small and large menu items that we tried were excellent, but smaller than we would like them to be.Special Features:
- Dinner with colleaguesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014Great choice for a group if colleagues and significant others. Delicious food, attentive and friendly service, and unique wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoudKendallGuyDined on 9/22/2014Food is good. Chef modified a couple if plates for us to be vegan friendly which was nice. The restaurant is noticeably loud inspite of the relatively small table numbers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food, wonderful servicelawyermomVIPDined on 9/21/2014West Bridge was amazing. The small plates we had - lamb belly, duck egg, brisket and calamri - were all absolutely delicious. We shared the duck entree, which they nicely divided for us. It was all so sublimely good. Our service was also terrific, attentive without being overbearing. We sat outside until it started to rain when someone rushed out to move us inside. It's a great place for a larger group, as there are many small plates for sharing. There was just the two of us, so we couldn't order everything we wanted. It was a Sunday night and a bit slow, so I can't comment on the noise level. Te outside seating doesn't have a great view, but it was a nice courtyard. I highly recomment West Bridge, and can't wait to return.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/21/2014This was one of the best meals I ever had!! Bar tender was so professional, nice and knowledgeable about everything on the menu. The egg in a jar is amazing. As was the lamb belly. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014I had an incredible experience at West Bridge from beginning to end. I was welcomed warmly by the hostess, the server was extremely knowledgeable and friendly, and the food was incredible! Our favorite dish of the night was the lamb belly. However, the homemade chocolate chip cookie with espresso chip ice cream came in a close second. I will be back for sure!Special Features:
- What's not to like?Chloe89Dined on 9/18/2014Great service, very interesting, original, and tasty food--I loved the "brisket" and the foie gras toast. but everyone at the table had their favorites, including cauliflower and kale like you've had them. The set-up is that you share, which we usually do anyway, so it's nice to have it recognized. Fun atmosphere too.Special Features:
- East meets West Bridgefishing4abiteDined on 9/18/2014This was my third visit to West Bridge and they continue to impress. I now count the days until I can go back here. Meanwhile, I dream of kale salad with duck confit . cauliflower with apricot and salmon with lime. Dazzle your foodie friends with your new found knowledge of Verjus, Sambal and Harissa. They know how to treat customers, are knowledgeable about food and drink and always make you feel welcome. Don't miss out on the cool space and place , with complex flavors and friendly faces.Special Features:
- Joyful experienceKRT86Dined on 9/17/2014My friend and I met up at WestBridge for dinner, to drink some wine and catch up. First, as I was waiting for my friend to come, the sommelier helped me choose a most delicious wine, a Folle Blanche, and gave me a taste, even though it was by the glass. He suggested a perfect food pairing, a sausage pasta, which was a small plate, but full of flavor, texture, and color. I felt like I was eating gourmet food and drinking delicious wine at a friend's gorgeous home, not at a fancy restaurant.Special Features:
- Had Higher ExpectationsTheOneTNVIPDined on 9/15/2014I was excited to try West Bridge, but felt the flavors and execution lacked for me. The chef's signature dish - Egg in a Jar - was good, had good flavors, but I wasn't blown away by it. Unfortunately, that was the best dish of the night, our other dishes were either undercooked or overly seasoned - to the point we did not finish a couple of dishes.
- Try the chef's tastingCoreyDined on 9/13/2014My recent Saturday night visit was my fourth time to West Bridge. Even though we were late for our reservation due to terrible traffic, my party was graciously welcomed and warmly greeted. The craft cocktail menu continues to be one of the best in Boston/Cambridge--try the Amarillo by Morning. We decided to try the chef's tasting menu and everyone was very glad we did. Course after course was fantastic, building upon layers, textures, and incredible ingredients from the previous one. It really turned out to be a night to remember and I felt we got a very good value for this special experience. As someone that travels a great deal and dines out three plus times a week, I highly recommend West Bridge.Special Features:
- Delectible!SouthOrangeDinerDined on 9/12/2014Small plates that each had so much taste going for them! Even the bread was an outrageously good sourdough that I just couldn't stop eating. Service was speedy and helpful; they worked as a team well. I would highly recommend the beet toasts, so unusual with the mustard seeds and roe. The lamb belly was outstanding, sort of a sweet and sour flavor profile with all of the rich savoriness of Lamb belly! The skate was another winner and the wine (on tap) directly from the barrel was superb. The place is loud but had great energy and my husband and I had no trouble talking together. A must try!Special Features:
- TraceyDined on 9/9/2014We were 4 ldies and enjoyed the fact we could have a conversation we could hear each other. The waiter was wonderful and was very enthusiastic about the food. We were surprise how empty the place was even when we left. We were hesitant to make a reservation as we thought it would be totally booked. I guess better advertising would help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful discoveryMagdalenaDined on 9/7/2014When I made the reservation to celebrate a friend's birthday I had no idea what to expect, but it was convenient to the movie and they said they were French-inspired, so I was game. I'm so glad we went! The concept of small dishes to be shared - we called it French tapas - allowed us to explore numerous dishes. Each dish was art for the eye, but even better was the treat for the palate. Flavors exploded in our mouths with every bite. With the exception of the richly delicious Egg in a Jar, each small dish had the added virtue of being healthy. The Asaparagus, Quinoa, Cauliflower, and Salmon small dishes each had its own taste surprise that lifted it high above the ordinary. Add exceptional service and you have a real find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West Bridge reviewJohnnyDined on 8/22/2014We had nice meal at West Bridge. The skate and the striped bass were extremely good. The service was attentive, but in a way a bit rigid. They kept asking us whether they could take away our plates and that aspect was not very relaxing.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experience!PhilDined on 8/21/2014I had heard great things about West Bridge since it opened, and it did not disappoint. I recommend the small plates, as they allow you to experience a broader sample of Chef Gaudet's menu. Everything we tried was absolutely fantastic, and you have to try the egg in a jar! The staff was exceptional. From helping design our courses to showing the utmost courtesy and friendliness, they went above and beyond to ensure we had the best dining experience possible. From the second we walked in the door, they really made us feel like we were special. The restaurant is very high energy, so if you are looking for a quiet dinner it is probably not the best option, but it is absolutely a must-try.Special Features:
- Excellent Restaurant in Kendall SqOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014Delicious! Food was very good, and service was excellent. You'll find other reviewers recommending the egg in a jar. It was certainly delicious, but maybe a little overrated and over-recommended. West Bridge is in a building that has high ceilings so the acoustics aren't the best. You'll find yourself speaking louder than normal with your friends to be heard over the general noise and music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go back in a heart beat.J33DOWVIPDined on 8/20/2014Try the Lamb Belly, the Kale and of course the signature Duck egg! We turned the meal into a tapas event by ordering lots of the smaller dishes.Special Features:
- Minimalist and ImaginativetallredVIPDined on 8/17/2014We love the opportunity to taste a number of dishes, and West Bridge fills the bill! What an interesting set of menu items, and ALL complex and wonderful tastes. Would go back in a heartbeat to try more. Suggest that cloth draped over the beams would dampen the sound but not destroy the minimalist decor. Sunday night is a good time to go, as it was not full and therefore not too noisy, as per prior reviews. Our waiter was disorganized and slow but cheery. We'll definitely return for the food. P.S. The menu says, "ask for bread"--take that advice, as it is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.