West Bank Cafe
407 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
West Bank Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.westbankcafe.com/
- Phone: (212) 695-6909
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday-Saturday: 11:30 AM-Midnight Sunday-Tuesday: 11:30 AM- 11 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: West Bank Cafe can cater off-premise events ranging in size from 40 to 1,000. Our chef will design a menu tailored to your specific event, from passed hors d’oeuvres to formal sit-down meals, and the restaurant will supply everything from the linens and glassware to plates and staff.
- Private Party Facilities: The Laurie Beechman Theater and the restaurant’s dining room can accommodate private and semi-private groups ranging in size from 12 people for an intimate sit-down dinner to 245 for a cocktail party. The Laurie Beechman Theater is also ideal for business meetings and corporate presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Kenny Bell 2126956909x
- Entertainment: The Laurie Beechman Theatre, downstairs at West Bank Cafe, announces an exciting & eclectic line-up of performers & performances all of which take place in the gorgeous 80 seat theatre. Please visit BeechmanTheatre.com for full cabaret & theatre schedule.
- Special Events: For information concerning special events, contact our special events coordinator, Kenny Bell at BeechmanTheatre@westbankcafe.com
A word from West Bank Cafe
The West Bank Cafe has been serving exceptional American Fare and an award winning wine list to our neighbors and NYC visitors for over 35 years. The sophisticated, yet relaxed ambiance is enhanced by our special connection to New York's theater community, making it the perfect destination for a before or after-show meal. Our comfortable interior includes the Laurie Beechman Theatre, a 100-seat performance and private party space underneath the restaurant. We hope to see you soon!.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
West Bank Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
256 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (152)great for lunch (73)fit for foodies (63)great for brunch (54)good for groups (43)vibrant bar scene (35)late-night find (34)special occasion (27)hot spot (20)notable wine list (17)romantic (15)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Uneven but Always AmiableOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/20/2014My experience with The West Bank is decidedly mixed although generally positive. I dine there often before theater. Such evenings are sometimes ethereal, but occasionally distressing; usually we are in some middle ground. On my most recent visit I made a reservation through Open Table two weeks in advance and I expressly requested seating in a particular area of the restaurant. For the first time in my experience, the restaurant did not acknowledge or honor the request. The venue was reasonably busy so we were seated at a table most directly in front of the entrance - and a cold wind blew upon each new arrival despite double doors. I will not sit a that table again during the winter months. Service seems always to be friendly, and it was again. Nonetheless it took a good while for our main courses to be delivered after the appetizer was cleared. That was likely a result of the busy kitchen since the dishes arrived appropriately hot. Our waiter was sensitive to our scheduled curtain time and was always helpful and gracious. The entrees (two fish dishes) were nicely prepared - if somewhat lonely on the plates. A few bits of greenery would have been a welcome accent - but that is not the practice in New York. Both the soup of the day and the reliable chocolate bread pudding were also quite good. The coffee, another item typically unpredictable, was a bit of a reduction and its bitterness challenged the capacity of the accompanying milk pitcher.
- Very good food, expensive drinksTneckMOMVIPDined on 11/20/2014The location was perfect for us, the ambiance nice, and the food was very good. Drinks were very expensive, however, along with cost of appetisers -- for two of us, we didn't even order dinner and spent nearly $100 for soup and an appetiser each.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always friendly, warm, and wonderful food!geminiDined on 11/19/2014I've been to the West Bank Cafe several times. Have never been disappointed in the atmosphere, warmth, service, or the food and wine. It is good in every season. And this last experience was like finding a holiday oasis in the midst of a frigid NYC Winter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/19/2014Decent food at decent prices which is hard to find in the theater district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentCompozerDined on 11/17/2014Our go-to place to eat when we're in the theater district in NY. Great food, reasonable prices, nice vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love West Bank CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2014It's my go-to place when visiting NYC. Friendly staff, delicious and different food, lovely atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable and serviceableNothappyDined on 11/11/2014My friend and I had dinner here before the theater. There was nice energy in the restaurant, the lighting was pleasant, and the service was good. The cheese burgers we both ordered were fine and cooked to order, but really, really small, covered by a giant bun and a plate 3/4 filled with fries. The fries were very crisp and delicious, but for the $15 price, we both felt there should have been a bit more balance on the plate!
- theatre dinnerIsabelDined on 11/10/2014West Bank Cafe is well situated for dining before performances at Signature Theatre as well as the Roundabout at American Airlines Theatre. Convenient and the food is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Service, No CompOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/9/2014Food is very good and the ambiance is nice but it was very noisy especially for a Sunday evening. Our order was completely screwed up and 3 out of 4 of us did not get our entrees until after a second order had to be been put in. The staff and manager were apologetic but gave us no compensation at all. Usually, in such a situation, the manager would take off the cost of one entree or give us a free glass of wine. Our out-of-town friends were shocked that the manager made no such offer to us.
- Service was lackingBarrybeeVIPDined on 11/9/2014I have dined there for 20 years and this is the first time the service was less than positive. Items were left out. The wait for food was too long. Three people were served, but the fourth had to wait. This was obviously an anomaly and we will still go back. In fact, we have a reservation for next week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theater "Go To"matty32VIPDined on 11/8/2014Perfect for pre-theater lunch or dinner. Always packed, very reliable and very efficient service. The food is better than most of the rather mediocre Theater District restaurants.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableWeezieVIPDined on 11/6/2014We can always count on West Bank Cafe when we are seeing a play or a show at B.B. Kings. The food is always amazing. We have dined there several times and this was the first time that I didn't like where we were seated. We were so close to the entrance. The restaurant does get very crowded before the shows and I must say that they still accommodated us at the last minute so I can't complain. It won't stop me from going back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My go to place before theaterwkendgourmetVIPDined on 11/6/2014I see a lot of theater and one of my favorite places to dine - before or after - for over 3 decades has been West Bank Cafe. The owner welcomes you, remembers you and treats you like VIP. The wine list is tasty, quaffable and not overly expensive. And my rainbow trout last night with capers was excellent. Good food, good company, good ambience. And open late if you want to stop in at 11pm and have a burger or plate of pasta after a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater friendlymbd3VIPDined on 11/6/2014A great location if you are seeing something in one of the theaters on 42nd Street.Special Features:
- Pre-theater lunchFeedMeDined on 11/5/2014We arrived early, but our table was waiting for us. Nice Touch! The staff was attentive and very pleasant. They are more than aware of the curtain-up time, yet we never felt rushed. Very varied array of luncheon dishes. There's bound to be something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ladidiDined on 11/1/2014Nice find with friendly staff.. Food was good and presented beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre or post-theater spottravel4foodVIPDined on 10/31/2014West Bank has consistently good food and a great atmosphere. The waitstaff pays real attention, so if you have to get to a play, you will in good time, and if you just want to relax after a show, you can. Dining at the bar is also a good experience, and the cocktails are excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarlenedcVIPDined on 10/29/2014Always wonderful, the pork chop was delicious and so was the beet salad. I miss the peppered shrimp and grapefruit appetizer. Please bring it back. The roasted chicken is also always a winner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great after theater experiencegrandmamakesahitDined on 10/29/2014As a birthday gift, I took my adult granddaughter to see a matinee performance then followed up with dinner at West Bank. We arrived 1/2 hour early and were seated immediately. The ambiance was great and the food very tasty. The wait staff was attentive and I would highly recommend this spot. My granddaughter thanked me for choosing this restaurant and was very pleased with her meal. The entire staff was friendly and pleasant. My only slightly negative comment was that the bar scene got increasingly loud throughout the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/29/2014A good place to have lunch before a matinee. Good food and service and not too pricey, especially for the theater district. The desserts were so much fun. Been there before - and will be again.Special Features:
- Good for pre-theatreJaneVIPDined on 10/28/2014Food is consistent - good pre-theatre prix fixe menu and location. Had chicken & frozen lemon dessert. Also others had crab cake and steak frites. Service started on good note, but declined - salad served after entre, server not to be found for rest of meal. Disappointing.Special Features:
- DylansPaDined on 10/26/2014Great spot for pre or post theater meal. Even if you are not going to a show it is simply a wonderful dining experience. The terrific location is exceeded by outstanding food and fabulous service.Special Features:
- Another great mealdessertprincessDined on 10/25/2014West Bank is one of my favorite neighborhood spots- the food is consistently good, and the ambiance always is welcoming and warm.Special Features:
- Pre-theatherEat2LDined on 10/25/2014Good place on 42nd Street away from the Time Square madness. Good food and service, reasonable prices. We go here when we are in the neighborhood.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindTinaCDined on 10/25/2014I asked my friend who lives in Manhattan for recommendations near the theater district as we had an 8 p.m. show to go to. She sent me a couple of links and I liked the looks of the West Bank Cafe. It turned out to be a great recommendation even though she's never been there. I made the reservation using Open Table on Friday morning and someone from the restaurant called me Friday afternoon to confirm. After talking about having play tickets she moved our reservation a little earlier so there was no chance we would miss getting to the show on time. We even arrived earlier than our reservation and there was no problem seating us. They were very attentive and the food was great. I would definitely go back and I recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, loud, loudFergyDined on 10/24/2014Difficult to carry on a conversation because of overwhelming noise and too close tables. The food was good, but not great - and too pricey for what it was. The beer stein was so heavy, it was too difficult to lift , and I had to request a smaller glass. A foolish affectation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tickets for a show? You'll enjoy!Ronnie207Dined on 10/24/2014We had a great meal in a nice atmosphere, with good service. Tables were not too close together so we could talk to each other comfortably. We made our 8:00 curtain with lots of time to spare. Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- Pre theater dinnerLivetoeatVIPDined on 10/21/2014Dinner before nearby show. Manager excellent. Seated half party, made sure we were ok. Food good . Reminded waiter several times of 7pm curtain. Still late bringing dessert. Manager got it done for us. Have eaten here several times. It is good not great.
- Great food, wonderful staff!!cinnamon175Dined on 10/19/2014Went for Sunday brunch. While the menu is small, the food was delicious!! We shared a sticky bun and I had the lemon ricotta pancakes with fresh berries, they were both amazing!! Price was fair, but portions & service was wonderful. Wait staff was friendly, always smiling and very accomodating. We enjoyed it very much!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/18/2014Very crowded with pre-theater diners. Seated in unusual spot, near the bar. We've enjoyed dinner there in the past however.Special Features:
- great post matinee'beachbunnyDined on 10/18/2014Perfect for an early dinner with friends after a matinee'. Requested a "quiet" table so we could talk and actually got one! The place was lively, the food was good, our waiter was efficient and fun and the prices are moderate. Highly recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and interestingSergerinoDined on 10/17/2014Went with a group of friend pre-theatre. The waitress asked us right at the top if we were seeing a show and the time of our curtain. She served us promptly and graciously. The specials listed on the board sounded delicious and they did not disappoint. Sliced Duck Breast in Cherry Sauce, roasted vegetables and pureed sweet potato. Special dessert - pumpkin bread pudding with rum raisin ice cream. YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnVIPDined on 10/16/2014Very good choice for pre theater dinner. The restaurant is very equipped to get the order, serve the food and get you out the door before curtain time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for pre-theaternycdinerDined on 10/13/2014This is a restaurant that is perfect for pre-theater if you're destination is any of the theaters on west 42nd Street. Good food and they get you out in plenty of time to back your curtain.I would recommend this to a friend.
- West 42nd Street = The topsChoiceDined on 10/13/2014Our first time at The West Bank Cafe. A pre-theater dinner on a holiday Monday evening. We could not have made a better choice. Next time we will go just go for dinner, no theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, surly servicejbgcrugersDined on 10/13/2014food was good, atmosphere is nice, especially in contrast to the not so nice area of 42nd st. Service was not good, but we probably just were unlucky to get a surly waiter.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/11/2014always reliable. never disappointed, except my favorite scallop dish is no longer on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good go-to placeFirstTimerVIPDined on 10/11/2014The service and food are always very good. This visit did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Great theater restaurantburnsyDined on 10/10/2014Always come here when doing theater. Un-touristy in very touristy area. Good wine list. Salmon tartar, risotto balls, trout were all excellent. Good serviceSpecial Features:
- Get the right table... Most it themPattypDined on 10/10/2014We loved it, the trout, the kale salad, dark chocolate bread pudding were spectacular! This is a real neighborhood gem and so close to parking and all of the off broadway theatres.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.