West Bank Cafe
407 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
West Bank Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.westbankcafe.com/
- Phone: 2126956909x
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday-Saturday: 11:30 AM-Midnight Sunday-Tuesday: 11:30 AM- 11 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: West Bank Cafe can cater off-premise events ranging in size from 40 to 1,000. Our chef will design a menu tailored to your specific event, from passed hors d’oeuvres to formal sit-down meals, and the restaurant will supply everything from the linens and glassware to plates and staff.
- Private Party Facilities: The Laurie Beechman Theater and the restaurant’s dining room can accommodate private and semi-private groups ranging in size from 12 people for an intimate sit-down dinner to 245 for a cocktail party. The Laurie Beechman Theater is also ideal for business meetings and corporate presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Kenny Bell 2126956909x
- Entertainment: The Laurie Beechman Theatre, downstairs at West Bank Cafe, announces an exciting & eclectic line-up of performers & performances all of which take place in the gorgeous 80 seat theatre. Please visit BeechmanTheatre.com for full cabaret & theatre schedule.
- Special Events: For information concerning special events, contact our special events coordinator, Kenny Bell at BeechmanTheatre@westbankcafe.com
A word from West Bank Cafe
The West Bank Cafe has been serving exceptional American Fare and an award winning wine list to our neighbors and NYC visitors for over 35 years. The sophisticated, yet relaxed ambiance is enhanced by our special connection to New York's theater community, making it the perfect destination for a before or after-show meal. Our comfortable interior includes the Laurie Beechman Theatre, a 100-seat performance and private party space underneath the restaurant. We hope to see you soon!.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
West Bank Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
221 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (132)great for lunch (67)fit for foodies (55)great for brunch (51)good for groups (37)late-night find (32)special occasion (27)vibrant bar scene (26)hot spot (19)romantic (18)notable wine list (15)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- MarlenedcVIPDined on 10/29/2014Always wonderful, the pork chop was delicious and so was the beet salad. I miss the peppered shrimp and grapefruit appetizer. Please bring it back. The roasted chicken is also always a winner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great after theater experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014As a birthday gift, I took my adult granddaughter to see a matinee performance then followed up with dinner at West Bank. We arrived 1/2 hour early and were seated immediately. The ambiance was great and the food very tasty. The wait staff was attentive and I would highly recommend this spot. My granddaughter thanked me for choosing this restaurant and was very pleased with her meal. The entire staff was friendly and pleasant. My only slightly negative comment was that the bar scene got increasingly loud throughout the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/29/2014A good place to have lunch before a matinee. Good food and service and not too pricey, especially for the theater district. The desserts were so much fun. Been there before - and will be again.Special Features:
- Good for pre-theatreJaneVIPDined on 10/28/2014Food is consistent - good pre-theatre prix fixe menu and location. Had chicken & frozen lemon dessert. Also others had crab cake and steak frites. Service started on good note, but declined - salad served after entre, server not to be found for rest of meal. Disappointing.Special Features:
- DylansPaDined on 10/26/2014Great spot for pre or post theater meal. Even if you are not going to a show it is simply a wonderful dining experience. The terrific location is exceeded by outstanding food and fabulous service.Special Features:
- Another great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014West Bank is one of my favorite neighborhood spots- the food is consistently good, and the ambiance always is welcoming and warm.Special Features:
- Great FindTinaCDined on 10/25/2014I asked my friend who lives in Manhattan for recommendations near the theater district as we had an 8 p.m. show to go to. She sent me a couple of links and I liked the looks of the West Bank Cafe. It turned out to be a great recommendation even though she's never been there. I made the reservation using Open Table on Friday morning and someone from the restaurant called me Friday afternoon to confirm. After talking about having play tickets she moved our reservation a little earlier so there was no chance we would miss getting to the show on time. We even arrived earlier than our reservation and there was no problem seating us. They were very attentive and the food was great. I would definitely go back and I recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, loud, loudFergyDined on 10/24/2014Difficult to carry on a conversation because of overwhelming noise and too close tables. The food was good, but not great - and too pricey for what it was. The beer stein was so heavy, it was too difficult to lift , and I had to request a smaller glass. A foolish affectation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tickets for a show? You'll enjoy!Ronnie207Dined on 10/24/2014We had a great meal in a nice atmosphere, with good service. Tables were not too close together so we could talk to each other comfortably. We made our 8:00 curtain with lots of time to spare. Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- Pre theater dinnerLivetoeatVIPDined on 10/21/2014Dinner before nearby show. Manager excellent. Seated half party, made sure we were ok. Food good . Reminded waiter several times of 7pm curtain. Still late bringing dessert. Manager got it done for us. Have eaten here several times. It is good not great.
- Great food, wonderful staff!!cinnamon175Dined on 10/19/2014Went for Sunday brunch. While the menu is small, the food was delicious!! We shared a sticky bun and I had the lemon ricotta pancakes with fresh berries, they were both amazing!! Price was fair, but portions & service was wonderful. Wait staff was friendly, always smiling and very accomodating. We enjoyed it very much!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/18/2014Very crowded with pre-theater diners. Seated in unusual spot, near the bar. We've enjoyed dinner there in the past however.Special Features:
- great post matinee'beachbunnyDined on 10/18/2014Perfect for an early dinner with friends after a matinee'. Requested a "quiet" table so we could talk and actually got one! The place was lively, the food was good, our waiter was efficient and fun and the prices are moderate. Highly recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and interestingSergerinoDined on 10/17/2014Went with a group of friend pre-theatre. The waitress asked us right at the top if we were seeing a show and the time of our curtain. She served us promptly and graciously. The specials listed on the board sounded delicious and they did not disappoint. Sliced Duck Breast in Cherry Sauce, roasted vegetables and pureed sweet potato. Special dessert - pumpkin bread pudding with rum raisin ice cream. YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnVIPDined on 10/16/2014Very good choice for pre theater dinner. The restaurant is very equipped to get the order, serve the food and get you out the door before curtain time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for pre-theaternycdinerDined on 10/13/2014This is a restaurant that is perfect for pre-theater if you're destination is any of the theaters on west 42nd Street. Good food and they get you out in plenty of time to back your curtain.I would recommend this to a friend.
- West 42nd Street = The topsChoiceDined on 10/13/2014Our first time at The West Bank Cafe. A pre-theater dinner on a holiday Monday evening. We could not have made a better choice. Next time we will go just go for dinner, no theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, surly servicejbgcrugersDined on 10/13/2014food was good, atmosphere is nice, especially in contrast to the not so nice area of 42nd st. Service was not good, but we probably just were unlucky to get a surly waiter.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/11/2014always reliable. never disappointed, except my favorite scallop dish is no longer on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good go-to placeFirstTimerVIPDined on 10/11/2014The service and food are always very good. This visit did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Great theater restaurantburnsyDined on 10/10/2014Always come here when doing theater. Un-touristy in very touristy area. Good wine list. Salmon tartar, risotto balls, trout were all excellent. Good serviceSpecial Features:
- Get the right table... Most it themPattypDined on 10/10/2014We loved it, the trout, the kale salad, dark chocolate bread pudding were spectacular! This is a real neighborhood gem and so close to parking and all of the off broadway theatres.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drinks before a showTneckMOMVIPDined on 10/10/2014I met a friend there for drinks and a small dinner before an early curtain. The two for one at the bar (4-6PM) was welcome to us, but otherwise the price of the drinks was exorbitant. I had a delicious risotto with veggies, which was a good value however.Special Features:
- BarrysVIPDined on 10/8/2014The food was poor - chicken came with 2 pieces & one was overly dried out (burned). The waiter was asked to replace it & had to be reminded 2 about serving it again. The wine was not great either.
- Great pre theater dinnerFraneeDined on 10/8/2014The food was very good, the prices were fair, service was good. What else do you want, especially in the theater district. My husband wanted to return the next night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent good foodBollyDined on 10/5/2014We dine at West Bank Café every time we come to NYC. The food is always consistently good. Sometimes you go back to a restaurant and the food doesn't taste as good as the first time you went there but this is never the case at West Bank Cafe. The free range chicken with mashed potatoes is my favorite and it tasted as good the other day as the first time I had it many years ago. The chicken is moist and flavorful. As long as they keep this on the menu I will keep going back. I also had the mushroom soup and it was creamy. The restaurant was busy for a Sunday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasedNewYorker1Dined on 10/4/2014After happily seeing a great performance "On the Town", right at the Lyric theater on 42nd Street, we were pleased with our experience at West Bank Cafe. Service was a little slow at the onset, but picked up beautifully as the dinner progressed. our food was tasteful, prepared and served well. an all over surprise meal right on 42nd street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KitwaldVIPDined on 9/30/2014Best time to have a meal here is between 7:45pm and 9:15pm when the theatergoers have gone on their way and before they return. Everyone working breathes a sigh of relief and the servers are attentive and always pleasant. The food is excellent, prepared simply but with just enough attention to detail without being overwhelmingly fussy. There are small plates and large plates, always important for dining I think. One thing I think is important is that the entrees the portions are just the right size and satisfying to eat. So many restaurants just plop huge portions of food onto a plate which make it unappealing and wasteful.
- Good thing the food is goodShakesberryDined on 9/29/2014On a MONDAY night, this place was chaos. Couldn't even find the maitre d' to check in. (My friend got there before me, so she was seated. I was able to find her on my own.) Service was appallingly slow, though I made it clear that we had theater tickets and needed prompt service. The waiter was very pleasant but hard to flag down, order from. My friend asked for butter three times. No one was eager to take an order, or even provide a menu or wine list. To be fair, after we ordered, the food came out reasonably quickly and it was as good as it always is. It's hard to figure out how to avoid this mess; someone should have managed the front end better--no crowd control. I'd go back, but I hope for better service in future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice brunch!wannabeafoodcritcDined on 9/28/2014Our food was very good. We had the "Leo" which was excellent and the my son loved the French toast. Salad accompanied our meals and it had an awesome dressing on it. It would have been nice to get a little basket of bread or muffins when we sat down, but we certainly had enough to eat. The only negative was our waiter. He was pleasant, but acted as if he really didn't want to be there. We didn't get our cup of coffee until after our food came. Plus the coffee was not very good. We would recommend this restaurant for a pre-theatre bite. It was nice and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 9/26/2014I've eaten at West Bank many times. This is the first time I thought the food was not good. Very disappointing.
- Great Food, Great ServiceLindaDesVIPDined on 9/26/2014This was our second time and it was as good, if not better, than the first. Our friends were stuck in traffic and very late, but we were seated and treated fabulously. They "called in" orders so the food would be ready. Everything was cooked to perfection - risotto balls, salads, steak frites, crab cakes and roast chicken. Servers were on top of the order and really wonderful. We will go back!Special Features:
- jimfVIPDined on 9/26/2014All is good here except for the feeling of being rushed with every course.
- Dissapointed againJamesNewYorkCityDined on 9/26/2014This used to be our favorite place for pre theatre dinner, but the last few times have been downers. Food is still fine but service has taken a nosedive. Slow service very disorganized and mistakes (overcharges) on the bill that took forever to straighten out. (If dessert is included on a pre fixe it should not be charged for again separately, no? We may go back again but it won't be soon
- Close to theatreNonnaDined on 9/23/2014The location is great if you attend one of the shows on 42d St.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat.lulubelleDined on 9/21/2014We always combine a visit to the West Bank Cafe with theatre tickets and it never disappoints. My brunch omelet was filled with fresh vegetables and was quite delicious and my companion enjoyed her caesar salad with chicken as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for our occasionBigADined on 9/21/2014We couldn't have been more pleased. The location is fantastic for meeting our relatives before going to a play. We were given a table in a secluded corner where we could visit without being bothered by other noise and the service was wonderrful. We all had salads on the Lunch menu we all were very pleased with our choices. We never felt rushed by our waiter which is definitely unlike many other restaurants in this area. We will definitely recommend this to our friends, and we'll also definitely be back ourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Re-theatre mealrvakaffDined on 9/20/2014Went prior to theater show. Food was solid. Service was great and attentive.Special Features:
- Our NYC mainstayJodiSagerDined on 9/19/2014We do not visit NYC without making a stop, or two, or three, to West Bank Cafe. We always know we are going to have a delicious dinner, or late night post-theatre snack. Steve, the owner, is always there making sure things are running smoothly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Choice!FoodLover123Dined on 9/17/2014Had a most enjoyable pre theatre dinner. Excellent food. Extremely professional and attentive service.Special Features: