West Bank Cafe
407 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
West Bank Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.westbankcafe.com/
- Phone: 2126956909x
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday-Saturday: 11:30 AM-Midnight Sunday-Tuesday: 11:30 AM- 11 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles Brassard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: West Bank Cafe can cater off-premise events ranging in size from 40 to 1,000. Our chef will design a menu tailored to your specific event, from passed hors d’oeuvres to formal sit-down meals, and the restaurant will supply everything from the linens and glassware to plates and staff.
- Private Party Facilities: The Laurie Beechman Theater and the restaurant’s dining room can accommodate private and semi-private groups ranging in size from 12 people for an intimate sit-down dinner to 245 for a cocktail party. The Laurie Beechman Theater is also ideal for business meetings and corporate presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Kenny Bell 2126956909x
- Entertainment: The Laurie Beechman Theatre, downstairs at West Bank Cafe, announces an exciting & eclectic line-up of performers & performances all of which take place in the gorgeous 80 seat theatre. Please visit BeechmanTheatre.com for full cabaret & theatre schedule.
- Special Events: For information concerning special events, contact our special events coordinator, Kenny Bell at BeechmanTheatre@westbankcafe.com
A word from West Bank Cafe
The West Bank Cafe has been serving exceptional American Fare to NYC theatre patrons as well as performers for over 30 years. Complementing the food is an award-winning California-focused wine list and a comfortable interior that includes the downstairs Laurie Beechman Theater, an 80-seat performance and private party space.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
West Bank Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
195 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (118)great for lunch (73)great for brunch (53)fit for foodies (45)good for groups (37)late-night find (34)special occasion (26)romantic (18)vibrant bar scene (15)hot spot (14)notable wine list (12)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Always a treat.lulubelleDined on 9/21/2014We always combine a visit to the West Bank Cafe with theatre tickets and it never disappoints. My brunch omelet was filled with fresh vegetables and was quite delicious and my companion enjoyed her caesar salad with chicken as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Re-theatre mealrvakaffDined on 9/20/2014Went prior to theater show. Food was solid. Service was great and attentive.Special Features:
- Our NYC mainstayJodiSagerDined on 9/19/2014We do not visit NYC without making a stop, or two, or three, to West Bank Cafe. We always know we are going to have a delicious dinner, or late night post-theatre snack. Steve, the owner, is always there making sure things are running smoothly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Choice!FoodLover123Dined on 9/17/2014Had a most enjoyable pre theatre dinner. Excellent food. Extremely professional and attentive service.Special Features:
- Good choice for 42nd St theatersPDCLarryVIPDined on 9/16/2014West Bank Cafe is a reliable, mid-scale restaurant in a great location. Food preparation is imaginative, tasty and nicely presented. One of the top taste experiences on the menu is the free range roast chicken. You might be thinking "roast chicken? You must be kidding. " But try it sometime. Every night there are several specials which fill out the otherwise limited menu. Ask about them. There's a good selection of wine by the glass, and desserts are quite special.Special Features:
- A delight, as alwaysJLCTDined on 9/14/2014We've eaten at West Bank many times and always find ourselves wanting to go back. The food is delicious and beautifully presented, always fresh and appealing. This time we sat at the table in the bar area and that allowed us more privacy for conversation and a bit less noise. We heartily recommend this little gem.Special Features:
- A fine mealMoochieDined on 9/13/2014We were greeted warmly and seated at a cozy table in the back. Our food arrived at a comfortable pace and was well-prepared and delicious. A creative Happy Birthday message/candle arrived on our celebrant's dessert and our entire party of 4 agreed that we would enjoy returning to West Bank Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnMDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food and service, can't wait to dine again at The West Bank Cafe!Special Features:
- just what we were hoping for!kipperDined on 9/12/2014So, we made our dinner plans rather last minute with no one's recommendation other than online reviews. Needed a place that was convenient for walking to Grand Central & Madison Square Garden. We consider ourselves foodies and I, mostly, dislike sandwiches & fried foods for lunch or dinner. West Bank had an interesting menu with several items that we both liked. We each ordered the Panzanella salad special (which was really large and we could have split one). For our entrée we had the Scottish Salmon and the Trout, each from the main menu. Being piggish and loving to try out sides, we had the Roasted Beets w/Ricotta. It was all delicious. The only problem was that we had no room for dessert! Great service & ambiance w/o rushing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/11/2014Very good for far-west theater lunch and dinner. Takes care to get you out on time!Special Features:
- the later the betterthehedonistDined on 9/10/2014We've eaten here numerous times usually after attending theatre across the street. The ambiance is fun, service good, and food enjoyable. Great cocktails and delicious butterscotch dessert are my favorites. Didn't find the food as tasty on this latest visit...maybe b/c it was pre-theatre & they were rushed in the kitchen. Prix fixe is a bargain, but make sure you leave time for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceAnd2MeDined on 9/10/2014Mad a 6:00 pm reservation. When we arrived our table was ready. Waiter came asked if we were going to the theater and took our order almost immediately. Salad did not arrive until 6:45 and dinner at 6:55. Left the restaurant with indigestion, which lasted until I got home that evening. would never recommend, and certainly would never go back.
- food good, ambiance notbookladyDined on 9/10/2014i arrived very early (i hour) my friend a 1/2 hour late..i was given a table at once and allowed to wait..the food was very good and plentiful (we both ordered salads). the only negative was the noise (front doors were kept open and the traffic on 42nd st is overwhelming...trucks, firetrucks, ambulances, etc.) plus..the air quality was bad. we have dined here in the winter when the front doors were kept closed and it was quite pleasant. we would certainly come back again ....at another time of the year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, reliable foodJanDVIPDined on 9/9/2014Good food. Good service. Good location for the Signature Theater. We got a free glass of wine because we were going to the Signature Theater. I had the trout which was delicious and not overdone as in some restaurants.Special Features:
- Good for grown upsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014Easy to do and doesn't feel like as big a tourist trap as others in that nabe.Special Features:
- One of the best in the areaYumYumVIPDined on 9/6/2014Always reliable and a great selection around the theater district, although can be loud. Otherwise: delicious food, good wine, good service.Special Features:
- freddyDined on 9/2/2014Everything was perfect-greatmservice as we went before dinnerSpecial Features:
- Great pre-theater choiceStafVIPDined on 9/2/2014As always this restaurant is a consistently good choice for pre-theater dinner. The food is very good, the service attentive and they get you out in time for your curtain.Special Features:
- good wholesome foodSteveDined on 8/30/2014and authentically friendly and knowledgeable wait staff. the experience for me and my girlfriend was exceptional. I had the spllit pork chop, savory and generous portion. Had nice private table too!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/30/2014Great Restaurant I always enjoy going there especially if theater is close byI would recommend this to a friend.
- starting to be a regularJimB52Dined on 8/28/2014Even though we are part of the bridge and tunnel crowd, we've now done the West Bank Cafe three times in the last couple of months. The food is very good, the location is great, the prices are very fair for what you get. This place is way better than any number of theater area restaurants, and not a bad walk to any of the B'way shows. Our table was ready at the reservation time and the wait staff knew we were going to a show and made sure we were done in plenty of time. The bartender was great. We first picked this place because it looked like a good spot for people coming from different places to meet, but keep coming back for all the other reasons.Special Features:
- Perfect for "Before Theatre"ArlingtonVIPDined on 8/28/2014Before taking our order, our very attentive and pleasant waitress asked us what time was our show. She took our orders, brought our drinks and food in more than enough time to give our party time to relax over dinner and get to the theatre on time. Plus, the food is delicious. We will definitely go again before our next show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunshineVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great before theatre in this area; they really work to get you out in time. The menu, drink, prices, portions and friendliness are all first rate.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choicelocaldinerDined on 8/28/2014I met a friend whom I had not seen in 11 years. We had a lot of catching up to do and the restaurant afforded us the opportunity to have a quiet, leisurely, tasty meal. The prix fixe lunch menu is a good deal. This was my second time at West Bank Cafe; the first time was for a pre-theatre dinner. I will definitely return and also recommend to others.Special Features:
- Pre theatrevickiDined on 8/27/2014Though we have tried other restaurants this is our favorite ore theatre restaurant and will just come here in the futureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/26/2014Never fails to disappoint even after all of these yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theatre,great food/staffluv2dinenicelyDined on 8/26/2014We were asked upon arrival if we were going to a show and by what time we needed to be finished. They couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating without rushing us through dinner. There was a nice selection on the menu for all 4 of us. The only, sort of, complaint that we would have is that the portions are on the lighter side. If you are going with a big appetite and like to eat larger entree portions this is not the place. However, we each had an appetizer salad, three of us had a fish entree and one had a pasta entree. Although we thought the serving of fish was slightly small, the pasta was perfect, the fish outstanding and we were just satisfied. Their delicious cappuccino was a nice, relaxing finish to our meal.Special Features:
- Pre Theatre ChoiceTennisfanDined on 8/26/2014This was a first visit to this restaurant and it was a perfect choice for pre-theatre dining. The service was very good but not rushed. The menu was varied and the specials were excellent. We had a party of four and we all felt that the prices were quite reasonable.Special Features:
- Good food theater districtOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014Great food, good prices for theater district, a little noisy but unfortunately service let something to be desired. We ordered an appetizer for the entire table and three entrees. waited a long time, waiter avoided looking us in eye and then brought all 4 dishes, at the same time leading to our basically not eating the appetizer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food before the showDavidfromLIDined on 8/23/2014I've eaten here on several occasions and have never been disappointed. My companion and I arrived a bit late due to traffic; the staff made certain that we were served quickly to make an 8 PM curtain. We ordered off the prix fixe menu, which was quite good and an excellent value. I had the gazpacho, my companion had the salad; both very tasty and fresh. Next course for me was the salmon with ratatouille with pesto, well-prepared; the ratatouille was very flavorful. My companion had the chicken, which in some hands could be mundane. Here the chicken was seasoned with herbs and cooked so as to be crisp on the outside and moist internally; very nicely done. The desserts were outstanding, a frozen lemon mousse and chocolate bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EribellaDined on 8/22/2014Recommended by my acting coach,West Bank is her favorite restaurant, and does not disappoint. Delicious food, great service, and perfect location right in Hells Kitchen. Will be back soon for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnieDined on 8/20/2014My food and my friends' food was very good. I had the trout and my friends had crab cake. But my granddaughter had a salad which was only lettuce and it cost $9.00 ! It was unimaginative and boring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for pre-theatreMartyDined on 8/19/2014Limited menu, good food, fair service. Overall good for a meal before going to one of the 42nd St theaters.Special Features:
- Always goodYumorglumDined on 8/17/2014We have always been happy with this restaurant, whether it be brunch, lunch or dinner. It has a relatively small menu, with everything prepared deliciously. My salmon was outstanding. This is one of the most consistently best in the theater district. The fact that is is not noisy is really a plus as well. Perfect Cosmo, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gr8stakeVIPDined on 8/16/2014I always love coming here....the staff is terrific...which just adds to the excellent food and drink experience.Special Features:
- Convenient to theater but...LisaNYDined on 8/13/2014A friend and I chose West Bank for its convenience to far west off-Broadway theater on 42nd St. Lovely decor and attentive staff but we found the menu somewhat limited and the noise level made conversation difficult. The food was fair.
- Gluten FreeglutenfreefamilyDined on 8/13/2014A wonderful gluten-free meal, helpful wait-staff. The salmon with ratatouille was incredible, as was the octopus and kale salad. Also loved the lemon mousse. All gluten-free!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendationgoforitDined on 8/12/2014Food was excellent. Soups were delicious and Cod fish was excellent. Bread was O.K. but could be better. Service was fine. Very full at 7PM with some noise but place is good and popular. We were very pleased and satisfied.Special Features:
- Luv2dineoutVIPDined on 8/6/2014Totally enjoyed dinner. Great location near MSG. Would definitely go backI would recommend this to a friend.
- BobbioDined on 8/6/2014This was a great restaurant for pre-theater. We were concerned that we would not find a good restaurant that was located in the off Broadway area. the food was great and our whole experience was very nice. Highly recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.