68 Wentworth St
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.wentworthgrill.com/
- Phone: 8435349049x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am - 12:00pm
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Host your next event at Wentworth Grill, where we can accommodate up to 100 people for a flowing reception. Or let's chat about utilizing one of the outdoor patios or a section of the restaurant for a semi-private dining event. Plus, with additional ballroom space in the hotel and creative use of common areas, your event is only limited to your imagination.
- Private Party Contact: Vanessa Jackson 8435340300x
A word from Wentworth Grill
Fusing the freshest ingredients with creativity and Southern flair is the order of the day at Wentworth Grill. Our delectable, handcrafted menu features stocks, sauces, and desserts prepared from scratch while our simple and charming décor and impeccable service make this an all-encompassing dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Wentworth Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Wentworth Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (12)special occasion (10)good for groups (8)fit for foodies (7)neighborhood gem (6)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- First visitdoIhavetoVIPDined on 10/13/2014WG was less casual fare than I thought. I may have looked at Lunch menu instead of dinner.Special Features:
- Great QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2014We were staying at the Renaissance and didn't want to go out, so we elected to go to the Hotel restaurant. It was a weeknight so it wasn't very busy, but the quality of food and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little overpriced for qualitynewkjDined on 9/9/2014The food was good but it wasn't great. The atmosphere and service was great. The food was a little bland.
- Outstanding food!eatingoutDined on 9/6/2014Great experience! Chef and servers were so accommodating of my dietary restrictions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014This place is O.k.. ..Hard to compete with the other great places downtown. So I would go again , but for from the best places in Charleston.Special Features:
- UneventfullynnDined on 9/5/2014First time I have ever had a Carbonara served with ravioli versus sphagetti . Too heavy. The soup was tasty but oily. The cornmeal bread was excellent.Special Features:
- DivinediningDined on 8/24/2014Our server "Bob" was great. He recommended several items from the menu that were superb. When we arrived the bartender helped us to get seated and brought us our drinks even though he was working at the bar. The brussel sprouts were fabulous as well as the the scallops and the risotto. We will definitely return. Lovely old redecorated hotel!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So glad we took a chancekayleebouDined on 8/9/2014I hesitated to go here due to some less than stellar reviews, however, we ended up here because we could not get a last minute reservation at other places. It is simply AMAZING! The food, though the choices were limited, was wonderfully inspired and prepared. My daughter loved the shrimp and grits. The special, a chowder like seafood stew (recommended by the waiter) was wonderful as well. I had the lamb and it was tender and tasty. Don't even get me stated on the drinks...yum! We WILL be back, and will hope to get the same great waiter, Tristan!Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseJazzmanVIPDined on 8/7/2014Had a reservation for 8, and when arrived service staff seemed overwhelmed by unexpected arrival of 25. Despite that, we we seated and served by an incredibly friendly and efficient server who was filling in. The food was outstanding and served promptly. Nice menu . Had espresso coated lamb chops, very nice touch.Special Features:
- Great Restaurantmax1990VIPDined on 7/18/2014This restaurant was fantastic! We walked in and there was only one other table there. I was a little hesitant initially due to the empty dining room; however, the food was incredible! I highly recommend it to everyone, do not be scared away due to the fact that it is in the lobby of the Renaissance hotel, it is absolutely fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Dinner in Charlestonsrenee14Dined on 6/27/2014We should have gone elsewhere when we called to push back our reservation and they didn't need the reservation name. No ambiance and we were the only table in the restaurant. The server/bartender/concierge didn't seem overly enthusiastic to wait on us. The seafood appetizer was terrible and the server told us some of the seafood had gone bad and they had to supplement. This set the tone for the rest of the meal. Our salad was good and my boyfriend liked the lamb. I thought the lamb had too much seasoning. My shrimp and grits were the worst I have had. It was a huge plate of grits with shrimp and cheap tomato sauce. We each took one bite and couldn't eat anymore. The server didn't ask why we didn't eat our food.
- The following 116 reviews are from the Wentworth Grill reviews archive.
- FantasticWhynotVIPDined on 6/10/2014Everything we had was delicious. Best salad I ever had. Crab cake was wonderful.
- Convenient dinner for the FestivalPDCLarryVIPDined on 5/29/2014Wentworth Grill is a great location for most of the Spoleto festival venues, and is highly recommended for that. The food and its presentation is good, with a couple of outstanding selections. Service was excellent and attentive. The wine list is very basic, but reasonably priced.
- Overpriced Sunday Brunch BuffetSmgjrDined on 5/11/2014It is no wonder we were able to get a reservation for noon on Mothers Day at the last minute. The $34 per person price was high for what was offered. There was a limited selection of breakfast food, the scrambled eggs looked dry and over-heated, several carb dishes like grits and hash, only one meat - pork, only one seafood - salmon, only one pasta - macaroni and cheese, limited vegetables - grilled carrots. The mimosa and bloody Mary were extra. The tile floor in the dining area made it feel more like a cafeteria. No tablecloths, no candles. There was a very pretty single flower on the table. A carnation and a chocolate candy were presented to my wife for Mothers Day - that was nice. A 20% gratuity was added - for a buffet? Disappointing!
- Delicious Brunchluv2eatitalianfoodVIPDined on 5/11/2014The Mother's Day brunch was very good, a bit pricey though. The service was excellent. The room where the brunch was served was lacking in ambience. This would not be one of my favorite places to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day delightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Took my wife here for Mother's Day and it was everything and more. Service was awesome and the food was even better. Located in close proximity to everything you need. Believe we found a new place to go to get a delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!Barnabus76VIPDined on 4/20/2014This is the first time that I went! It was the best service that I have had in a very long time, and the food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingdsswithnVIPDined on 3/9/2014The night that our party of eight dined, there was only one other diner in the dining room. The one waiter provided OK service to nine people. There were limited choices on the menu, and the food was just OK.
- OK - Might try againGroupNightOutDined on 2/15/2014This restaurant came recommended by friends who have dined here multiple times, so I'm hoping I just visited on an "off" night. I had previewed the menu online; however, the menu presented was different and did not seem as varied. The scallop dish I had planned to order was not offered, and none of the available items appealed to me as much. The food was OK - not bad, not great. The service was lacking; the server was pleasant but very forgetful. I was dining with a group, and we were able to talk and hear each other well.Special Features:
- Horrible serviceBMW77Dined on 2/14/2014We were very disappointed with our dining at Wentworth, as a matter of fact it ruined our valentines day. The service was terrible and for what we paid for our dinner we were unhappy with the taste and portion size of our dinner. Theaa server and manager were very rude and moved around way too fast. Horrible experience, we will never come back.Special Features:
- unimpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014We went to Wentworth for Valentine's Day, in part because the OpenTable review said "romantic." Well, it was expensive and the drinks were fine, but the service was sloppy and the food was forgetable. Given the options in Charleston, this place needs to up its game. We had two waiters who didn't communicate. They forgot our bread basket and when we asked, the bread was still cold in the middle. The fixed-price menu was pricey but not outrageous. The food was handsomely presented but unimaginitive beyond that. The really memorable meal was the next morning, when we went to Hominy Grill.Special Features:
- Valentine's Day dinnerGoGoDined on 2/14/2014Our group of five enjoyed Valentine's Day evening at the Wentworth grill. We were in town for the SEWE show and had found the restaurant on Trip Advisor. The Renaissance is a knock out, so the approach to the restaurant from inside the main lobby doors is gorgeous. The elegance continues through a parlor, beautifully decorated and with a giant fireplace and on into the dining room. Our waiter, Jay, was efficient, friendly, funny and knowledgeable. His service could not have been better. We enjoyed all the selections on the special menu and everything was delicious, beautiful and gorgeous. Not one dud in the group. Do not miss this great Charleston spot. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Dinner Wentworth GrillLucyDined on 2/14/2014We had not eaten there before so we were very excited. I went online to check out the menu before we chose Wentworth Grill for our Valentine's dinner and I was anticipating the scallops. However, when we arrived, the "special" menu for the evening only offered three entrees. I do understand why they'd like to limit the menu on a busy night, but I was disappointed. It's a very comfortable restaurant, the service was great, and in spite of that limited menu, I would like to try it again on a "regular" night with their "regular" menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- True LoveValentineDined on 2/14/2014We dined with WG for Valentines' Dinner...this weekend was my wife's first time to Charleston, and we wanted a special place with (not too) southern food. We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid and nicedesnerg2Dined on 2/14/2014We had a nice table, good food and good service. There was nothing outstanding, but nothing wrong. The wait staff seemed inexperienced. No tablecloths. Sort of cold atmosphere.Special Features:
- After reading the reviews,GoodfoodaholicVIPDined on 2/7/2014After reading the reviews, was reluctant to book a table, but wanted somewhere close to the theater we were attending that night, so went ahead. The service was good (only one other table in use in the dining room but the bar area was full), and the meal was very good. They had shrimp and grits with chicken apple sausage, which was a pleasant surprise as I can't eat red meat sausage. It was spicy and very good. My wife had the North Carolina trout, which she said was excellent. The ambience left a lot to be desired, with the hard tile floors, and it seemed a bit pricey for the location/ambience.
- We had a wonderful dinnerTigerladyDined on 1/18/2014We had a wonderful dinner with friends. Our service was great and the variety of different foods and flavors was a hit. Intimate without being stuffy. We will definitely make plans to have dinner again at Wentworth Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent andhappydinerDined on 1/11/2014The food was excellent and the chef easily accommodated my need for a substitution on one of the menu items. Our server was attentive and seemed genuninely interested in the quality of our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/11/2014We decided to try the Wentworth Grill during Charleston Restaurant Week because their menu offerings were very interesting. What arrived on the plate was a big disappointment. Soggy hushpuppies, flavorless shrimp & grits and beef with a "bottled" tasting sauce. On the up side, the atmosphere in the restaurant was very enjoyable and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Just Ok...foodie1Dined on 1/10/2014During my visit to Wentworth grill we were seated promptly however it took awhile for a server to acknowledge our presence. The food was nothing spectacular compared to other dining options in the downtown Charleston area. The dining room was also very loud and not suitable for a nice intimidate date. I would not recommend this restaurant if you are looking for exceptionable service, quiet dining atmosphere, and great food. I guess it would be the perfect spot for an office lunch trip.Special Features:
- Not up to Charleston standardsLoriDined on 1/10/2014My husband and I went to Wentworth Grill during Restaurant Week. We have been to several of the top restaurants in Charleston during Restaurant week and have always had a good experience. However, the Wentworth Grill is not comparable to most restaurants in Charleston. It has ZERO ambiance, the food was terrible and the waiter was average, at best. I felt like I was in a budget hotel breakfast area. It was one big room, with orange plastic furniture, plastic place mats, and there was no one even seating people. The only good thing was the drink we had at the bar before dinner.
- Friday nightSteveDined on 1/10/2014Dinner was great; food outstanding; service awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little pricyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/10/20142 bottom shelf drinks = 21 dollars not to mention were rushed through our meals which weren't top Notch like we expected from other reviews. We figured During restaurant week they would try to excel an Impress possible new patrons. So if you wanna spend 120 And leave feeling so so about it, or have two much Or have too much money on hand, this is the place For you!
- Just okCharlestonfoodieDined on 1/8/2014The food was actually really good. I would recommend it for groups as there were a lot of open tables, so it probably wouldn't be difficult to make a reservation for a large group and have a good meal. I was however expecting more from the establishment. It didn't feel like fine dining. The server was nice, but didn't pay attention to detail. Things like water glasses being left empty for too long, bringing dessert out before all the dinner plates are cleared, pouring wine in one corner of the table and then handing it down the table for the customers to hand to their neighbor is not quality service. Again, it wasn't terrible I just expected more.Special Features:
- service// 20% tip added to billSteveDined on 1/4/2014They had 1 waiter for all the tables. He seemed to handle that well but it was more like slinging food instead of fine dinning. We sat a table of 4 the appetizers were different and we loved them. I had the bristo steak and it was ok. My wife had the sea scallops they were to salty for her taste. My sister in law had the shrimp and grits loved them. The grits were very creamy. Her boyfriend had the duck and commented that he had eaten alot of duck and he felt it was the best he'd had had. The bill included 2 appetizers 4 entree's and 2 desserts 4 beers and 2 mixed drinks. The bill was 247.00 which included a 20% tip already added which we didnt notice until the next morning. u can imagine are surprise since we tipped the waiter 50.
- Excellent meal!tapnickDined on 1/2/2014We had a wonderful dining experience. Our service was terrific, and we were assisted in choosing wines to pair with our meal. The decor is beautiful - Southern charm. I highly recommend Wentworth Grill.Special Features:
- New Years Eve DinnerCarl29464Dined on 12/31/2013They have a nice regular menu but I found the fixed price holiday menu overpriced... Food was OK... Scallops were 3 to a plate for the entree. I had the pork chop which WAS a winner... very moist, tender, well seasoned/smoked. They brought out a CAB vice the MERLOT we ordered (was not delivered or poured by our waitress), and when informed, they did offer to change, but the CAB was good... desserts were packed into small fluted glasses...I did see their regular menu and would liked those items/prices better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was sub-standardFoodLoverDined on 12/27/2013Food was great, but our server seemed to have a short attention span. Had to ask him 3 times for the check, twice for bread, etc.
- DisappointedFredVIPDined on 12/24/2013We were very disappointed with our Christmas Eve dinner at Wendworth Grill. Salads not bad but Steak was tough and dried out, Scallops very spicy. My wife and I could only eat half of our dinners. Selection of Wine was fair. Minimal Christmas ambience.
- UmmmChsfoodieDined on 12/24/2013Made reservations for Christmas Eve for my family of 4 we arrive on time and go to host stand. There were about 12 people even in restaurant. Bartender said he would go get someone to help us and 10 min later hadn't returned. There was no one in there!! This wasn't first time either. Same thing happened 2 months earlier but we're were sat after 8 min so slow service but food was excellent. Needless to say after 10 min wait with no returned host on Christmas Eve, w a newborn,we left never had been seated. What a shame. So wen went to an amazing local spot on kingSpecial Features: