1922 Oak Park Blvd
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://wencesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (925) 566-8971
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner Everyday: 4:00pm-9:00pm
Brunch: Sa-Su 10:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Gerardo Wence
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please inquire at the restaurant about off-site catering.
A word from Wence's Restaurant
WENCE'S Restaurant is a family owned business where we believe even the smallest details matter to ensure every customer is pleased and eager to return. Our friendly staff will provide you with impeccable service and in the back you will find Chef Gerardo Wence and his highly skilled staff preparing you an outstanding meal!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Wence's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Pleasant Hill ›
Wence's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (51)fit for foodies (34)good for groups (23)great for lunch (20)kid-friendly (16)special occasion (13)great for outdoor dining (12)great for brunch (9)notable wine list (7)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2014The appetizers, sweet potato fries and calamari was delicious! The lobster bisque was amazing. A little disappointed in Caesar salad, dressing bland. I would definitely recommend Wence's to family and friends. We enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:
- IlovefinediningDined on 11/22/2014Wine and Beer is limited. Entrees were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/22/2014We really like the food here! The crab stack is terrific as is the seafood pasta. They also do a wonderful burger. Service is very nice. My one complaint is the seating. By the time we finished our appetizers the large, second room was Really, Really loud with families. That's just the way kids are, loud. I think when seating a small all adult group, the hostess should seat them in the first room & reserve the second room for families and large groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummyDined on 11/21/2014It Could use a little work to bring noise level. The space is not very large but it gets hard to talk to one another on a busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/10/2014We go for lunch when it isn't as busy. The burger is just wonderful! The crab stack is wonderful! The service is wonderful! The location is a bit out of the way, but it's worth hunting for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placewencesisgreatDined on 11/8/2014First time eating here, the food was great and the service was exceptional, all at a reasonable price. The only drawback is the parking lot, which was small and jam packed. We drove around for 5 minutes and got lucky that someone was leaving. This isn't wence's fault since they share a lot with other businesses. All in all a great time, will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 2nd Visit - Excellent!!ParentsWeekendYr2Dined on 11/7/2014This was my 2nd visit to Wence's and it was as good during this visit as it was on the 1st. We were seated immediately (had a reservation); our waitress was friendly and informative from the get go including sharing the evenings specials and offering recommendations when asked. We were a party of 4 and had the oysters on the half shell for appetizers - very good! For dinner we had swordfish; sea bass; crab louie and the mac n' chess (which by the way was awesome)!! We never felt rushed and had an absolute beautiful dinner. I will definitely visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food. Too Noisy.FriendlyFolkDined on 11/1/2014We love the food. Consistently fresh and perfectly prepared. The noise keeps us from dining here more than once every 4 or 5 months. They have opened a new room, but it is just as noisy as it ever was.Special Features:
- expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Overly priced and the food was not good. Very noisy.service was friendly but very slow.will not be back.Special Features:
- minicakeVIPDined on 11/1/2014Food pluses--presentations are very pretty, what you might find in a nice San Francisco restaurant. Salmon filet dish ($20) was beautiful, and salmon was cooked just right but a bit mushy in texture. Mixed seafood platter ($27) was disappointing, white fish and salmon were dry and shellfish were rubbery (over cooked?). Server seemed oddly uncomfortable, and didn't bother to mention specials. We only knew about them when we heard her reciting them to another table after we ordered.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/31/2014The food and service were fantastic. Noise was not an issue. Beer and wine only, however nice house cab for $5. Would seek Wence's out again on future trips.Special Features:
- Very good food but extremely noisyMusicianDined on 10/19/2014The food quality was very good, but the noise level was intolerable.Special Features:
- Once again awesomejamphdDined on 10/18/2014This restaurant never lets me down. Great chicken cacciatori, CHICKEN SCALLOPINI. The salads are large and very tasty. The special Bruschetta was exceptional.Each dish is served with special touches.Of course you have to have the Shoestring Fries with the trufflel oil. Make sure you are hungry if you order one of their great burgers.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/17/2014Salmon on home made ravioli was good, but the cream sauce distracted from tasting the lobster stuffed in the ravioli. Tiramisu tastes too commercial. Won't order that again. Wine list has small selection. Take it for what it is and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Good food and good serviceODIEDined on 10/10/2014My wife and I like Wences. The kids menu and seafood choices are great. Ironically, their Mac and Cheese with no seafood is a high fat but delicious side dish, to be shared for sure. We will be back to try more of their seafood options to confirm the consistency of their overall menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!AMCrvVIPDined on 10/4/2014They addressed the noise issue by expanding and adding noise mufflers. Foods is still excellent. Service tends to be a little slow, but if you are not in a hurry, it is a great little restaurant to sit and relax with a bottle of wine while waiting for the food - which has NEVER disappointed!Special Features:
- Food was okay and took too long!TrustyVIPDined on 9/27/2014We went here after a long day based on opentable ratings in the area. We were disappointed as the food took longer than expected to come out. The service was friendly and the prices reasonable. However we will not return as it took too long and the food wasn't that tasty / too basic. Also we are Vegan and they did not have any vegan / vegetarian options available beyond salads!!
- Bay Area GemSpartyDined on 9/20/2014The food presentation and flavors are always impressive at Wence and this trip was no exception. I tried the seafood pasta with the pesto sauce which I had never had before, and wow. We repeated sharing a crab stack which is a great way to start a meal. Their new addional dining room adds space so it is not as compact as the sole original room. We have been coming here since they opened and still hard to believe we have this quality of a restaurant hiddden away in Pleasant Hill. Casual but one of the best in the bay area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findSDM4Dined on 9/19/2014Just had dinner for the first time at Wence's this past weekend and it was wonderful. We'll be back.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC MEAL WITH GIRLFRIENDSParentsWeekendYr2Dined on 9/19/2014The food was absolutely wonderful and our waitress was adorable and very attentive! She explained the specials to us with a smile and great knowledge and shortly thereafter brought us our drink order. Two of us ordered specials (chicken and artichokes - fabulous) and one ordered from the menu (swordfish - to die for!!) We never felt rushed - our evening lasted almost 2 1/2 hours. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food1foodguyDined on 9/18/2014Very interesting menus. Food is terrific. Have eaten here a few times but only for lunch. Fish and chips were great. Not greasy with crispy fries. The "juniors" burger is fantastic. Has an egg on top! Don't order it if you're not hungry. Highly recommend wence's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this nice surprise spot!sandyVIPDined on 9/12/2014Second time and again, great service, food and connections....Very nice low key but high quality spot to stop for a good mid priced meal. This will be one of our regulars places from now on.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies Luncheonjoy2dineVIPDined on 9/9/2014We have a group of 12 who regularly meet at different restaurants around the East Bay, and WOW...we were all very pleased with Wence's! The food was fabulous, and the prices were very reasonable! Thank you for a great lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local RestaurantEileenthequeenDined on 9/5/2014I really like Wence's and am glad they enlarged the restaurant. It is just about the right size. It was hard to get into the restaurant when it was smaller. The food is really good. My one disappointment was the beignets for dessert. I've had them in New Orleans and I don't think they measured up. I tried them because it is not possible to get beignets anywhere else that I know about. I will choose a different dessert when I go next - and I surely will.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/30/2014We've been here twice and both times had great meals. Steamed clams, halibut porkchops all excellent. We haven't had room for dessert yet but they looked yummy! Only downside is there's only wine and beer. Hopefully they'll serve cocktails soon. Great friendly service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/28/2014Ordered the grilled artichoke, Mac n cheese and the fish tacos - all were pretty good. Serving size about right, as well. Limited selection of beer/wine. Was with a group of co-workers, and we were trying to unwind after a long day - not the place. Our server asked us multiple times if we were done with our food - we weren't. Seemed like they were trying to rush us out and we had a reservation at 7 --- not very late. Then they gave us the bill before we we asked for it, and then came back and asked if we'd paid it. Overall, the bad service made the experience not something I'd recommend.Special Features:
- Surprised by the quality!!!sandyVIPDined on 8/28/2014Dropped in to a neighborhood place and were very surprised by the quality and special efforts to provide excellant dining in such a quiet little spot. Great menu, excellent pricing and true quality and knowledge of the chef.....Seafood is a highlight and the Lobster bisque that evening was superb!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be backblueyedblancheDined on 8/25/2014We were in a bit of a rush, and weren't able to really relax over our meal. But, we will be back, and explore the menu beyond cheeseburgers.Special Features:
- Great place for good seafood!ODIEDined on 8/16/2014My wife, son and I just had an excellent meal at Wence's. The interior looks like it was recently updated and is somewhat modern. They have a kid's menu which is great with my son not being a big seafood fan just yet. Our waitress, Cecilia, was attentive and patient with my son who could not decide on what he wanted to drink. She also made great wine choices for me. I had the small plates, Prawn tacos (awesome) and the Crab with Avocado, good but lacking a little seasoning but fresh crab so little to complain about. My wife had pasta with vegetables but they missed the eggplant on the first go around but Cecilia saved it by getting some to supplement her meal and she was happy. All in all, we will be back, great little gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and Food Quality ProblemsScottVIPDined on 8/15/2014I have been going here for the last 2 years. Things have changed, service is slow and irregular, they expanded and didn't staff up. Food is inconsistent too. For my son's birthday dinner, we had to wait an hour for the entrees and they literally came out staggered two at a time over a five minute period. I was livid but kept quiet. My dish was partly warm and partly cold. Cold mussels and clams is NOT good. I don't think we will be going back any time soon. Very disappointed!
- Great as usualAllenVIPDined on 8/8/2014Love this neighborhood gem, and now they have expanded the restaurant. We love it there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night outRelisameDined on 8/7/2014The food was fantastic and the service was great. I like the way the plates are serviced, it makes you want to keep looking, but then you starting smelling the food and you just have to dig in.Special Features:
- Fabulous findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014No need to go to San Francisco - Wences is definitely a place for foodies. Unique dishes, fabulous spices, sauces and the freshest ingredients. The Chef came out and talked with us and his talent shines through in every dish. Try it-you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Neighborhood treatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014What a wonderful little restaurant in a quiet neighborhood setting! There was a good varied assortment on the lunch menu with quite a few fish/seafood options and a large list of salads. There were a number of wines to choose from and a very tempting dessert list. Too bad we were too full from our large salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 148 reviews are from the Wence's Restaurant reviews archive.
- But the noise!PowderdazeVIPDined on 7/26/2014I made my first visit to Wence's on a Saturday evening at around 7. We were seated pretty quickly and the service was good. But the noise! There are some very simple things they could do to reduce the decibels in the place. It was built with ALL hard surfaces. The food was excellent and I would hate to see them fail because of something so basic and so fixable. I will go back again but will probably ask to sit outdoors.Special Features:
- Great food, but don't complain!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014First time eating at Wence's after many recommendations. Not the best service, but the caprese salad and crab stack made up for it!! Delicious and will most likely return. The only negative ... A couple near us, arrived before us, my husband and I ordered, ate and payed for our meal before they even got an entrée! What rubbed me wrong about the situation is neither the server or manager apologized. They just kept trying to justify, I wanted to say "just say sorry and move on!". The server was very defensive and walked away from the table rolling her eyes. I own a retail store, and to customers, perception is reality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeighborNeighborGalDined on 7/25/2014I have been here several times with friends and family. The food is fantastic, the cocktail area is quaint, and I have never had bad service. The only thing I wish would change is the noise level, I would not consider this place "romantic" for that reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So glad we tried it!maryglDined on 7/23/2014Our group gets together every couple of months. We like to try locally owned places. After seeing Wence's on Open Table and reading many positive reviews, we decided to try it. There were 9 of us (originally 16, then down to 12, then 10, and one didn't show up). We all enjoyed the food, from the crab stacks to the sweet potato fries, from the sea bass special of the day to the cheeseburger (for a 10-year-old who thoroughly enjoyed it). The cookie melt and creme brulee were delicious desserts. The noise level truly IS very high, so we were actually happy that our party of 16 had dwindled to nine, or we would never have been able to talk amongst ourselves. We all agreed we would go back.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureMattrnbsn1VIPDined on 7/13/2014Great resturaunt for all. Local community gem. Will always be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Penguina2Dined on 7/10/2014The food was extremely good however the noise level was very loud. It was very difficult to hear my husband who was sitting across from me. I loved the food so will definitely be back however because of the noise level, my husband does not want to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.