1922 Oak Park Blvd
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://wencesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9255668971
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner Everyday: 4:00pm-9:00pm
Brunch: Sa-Su 10:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Gerardo Wence
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please inquire at the restaurant about off-site catering.
A word from Wence's Restaurant
WENCE'S Restaurant is a family owned business where we believe even the smallest details matter to ensure every customer is pleased and eager to return. Our friendly staff will provide you with impeccable service and in the back you will find Chef Gerardo Wence and his highly skilled staff preparing you an outstanding meal!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Wence's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Pleasant Hill ›
Wence's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (55)fit for foodies (34)good for groups (26)great for lunch (23)kid-friendly (14)great for outdoor dining (13)special occasion (13)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (7)romantic (6)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Once again awesomejamphdDined on 10/18/2014This restaurant never lets me down. Great chicken cacciatori, CHICKEN SCALLOPINI. The salads are large and very tasty. The special Bruschetta was exceptional.Each dish is served with special touches.Of course you have to have the Shoestring Fries with the trufflel oil. Make sure you are hungry if you order one of their great burgers.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/17/2014Salmon on home made ravioli was good, but the cream sauce distracted from tasting the lobster stuffed in the ravioli. Tiramisu tastes too commercial. Won't order that again. Wine list has small selection. Take it for what it is and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Good food and good serviceODIEDined on 10/10/2014My wife and I like Wences. The kids menu and seafood choices are great. Ironically, their Mac and Cheese with no seafood is a high fat but delicious side dish, to be shared for sure. We will be back to try more of their seafood options to confirm the consistency of their overall menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!AMCrvVIPDined on 10/4/2014They addressed the noise issue by expanding and adding noise mufflers. Foods is still excellent. Service tends to be a little slow, but if you are not in a hurry, it is a great little restaurant to sit and relax with a bottle of wine while waiting for the food - which has NEVER disappointed!Special Features:
- Food was okay and took too long!TrustyVIPDined on 9/27/2014We went here after a long day based on opentable ratings in the area. We were disappointed as the food took longer than expected to come out. The service was friendly and the prices reasonable. However we will not return as it took too long and the food wasn't that tasty / too basic. Also we are Vegan and they did not have any vegan / vegetarian options available beyond salads!!
- Bay Area GemSpartyDined on 9/20/2014The food presentation and flavors are always impressive at Wence and this trip was no exception. I tried the seafood pasta with the pesto sauce which I had never had before, and wow. We repeated sharing a crab stack which is a great way to start a meal. Their new addional dining room adds space so it is not as compact as the sole original room. We have been coming here since they opened and still hard to believe we have this quality of a restaurant hiddden away in Pleasant Hill. Casual but one of the best in the bay area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findSDM4Dined on 9/19/2014Just had dinner for the first time at Wence's this past weekend and it was wonderful. We'll be back.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC MEAL WITH GIRLFRIENDSParentsWeekendYr2Dined on 9/19/2014The food was absolutely wonderful and our waitress was adorable and very attentive! She explained the specials to us with a smile and great knowledge and shortly thereafter brought us our drink order. Two of us ordered specials (chicken and artichokes - fabulous) and one ordered from the menu (swordfish - to die for!!) We never felt rushed - our evening lasted almost 2 1/2 hours. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food1foodguyDined on 9/18/2014Very interesting menus. Food is terrific. Have eaten here a few times but only for lunch. Fish and chips were great. Not greasy with crispy fries. The "juniors" burger is fantastic. Has an egg on top! Don't order it if you're not hungry. Highly recommend wence's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this nice surprise spot!sandyDined on 9/12/2014Second time and again, great service, food and connections....Very nice low key but high quality spot to stop for a good mid priced meal. This will be one of our regulars places from now on.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies Luncheonjoy2dineVIPDined on 9/9/2014We have a group of 12 who regularly meet at different restaurants around the East Bay, and WOW...we were all very pleased with Wence's! The food was fabulous, and the prices were very reasonable! Thank you for a great lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local RestaurantEileenthequeenDined on 9/5/2014I really like Wence's and am glad they enlarged the restaurant. It is just about the right size. It was hard to get into the restaurant when it was smaller. The food is really good. My one disappointment was the beignets for dessert. I've had them in New Orleans and I don't think they measured up. I tried them because it is not possible to get beignets anywhere else that I know about. I will choose a different dessert when I go next - and I surely will.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/30/2014We've been here twice and both times had great meals. Steamed clams, halibut porkchops all excellent. We haven't had room for dessert yet but they looked yummy! Only downside is there's only wine and beer. Hopefully they'll serve cocktails soon. Great friendly service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/28/2014Ordered the grilled artichoke, Mac n cheese and the fish tacos - all were pretty good. Serving size about right, as well. Limited selection of beer/wine. Was with a group of co-workers, and we were trying to unwind after a long day - not the place. Our server asked us multiple times if we were done with our food - we weren't. Seemed like they were trying to rush us out and we had a reservation at 7 --- not very late. Then they gave us the bill before we we asked for it, and then came back and asked if we'd paid it. Overall, the bad service made the experience not something I'd recommend.Special Features:
- Surprised by the quality!!!sandyDined on 8/28/2014Dropped in to a neighborhood place and were very surprised by the quality and special efforts to provide excellant dining in such a quiet little spot. Great menu, excellent pricing and true quality and knowledge of the chef.....Seafood is a highlight and the Lobster bisque that evening was superb!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be backblueyedblancheDined on 8/25/2014We were in a bit of a rush, and weren't able to really relax over our meal. But, we will be back, and explore the menu beyond cheeseburgers.Special Features:
- Great place for good seafood!ODIEDined on 8/16/2014My wife, son and I just had an excellent meal at Wence's. The interior looks like it was recently updated and is somewhat modern. They have a kid's menu which is great with my son not being a big seafood fan just yet. Our waitress, Cecilia, was attentive and patient with my son who could not decide on what he wanted to drink. She also made great wine choices for me. I had the small plates, Prawn tacos (awesome) and the Crab with Avocado, good but lacking a little seasoning but fresh crab so little to complain about. My wife had pasta with vegetables but they missed the eggplant on the first go around but Cecilia saved it by getting some to supplement her meal and she was happy. All in all, we will be back, great little gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and Food Quality ProblemsScottVIPDined on 8/15/2014I have been going here for the last 2 years. Things have changed, service is slow and irregular, they expanded and didn't staff up. Food is inconsistent too. For my son's birthday dinner, we had to wait an hour for the entrees and they literally came out staggered two at a time over a five minute period. I was livid but kept quiet. My dish was partly warm and partly cold. Cold mussels and clams is NOT good. I don't think we will be going back any time soon. Very disappointed!
- Great as usualAllenVIPDined on 8/8/2014Love this neighborhood gem, and now they have expanded the restaurant. We love it there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night outRelisameDined on 8/7/2014The food was fantastic and the service was great. I like the way the plates are serviced, it makes you want to keep looking, but then you starting smelling the food and you just have to dig in.Special Features:
- Fabulous findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014No need to go to San Francisco - Wences is definitely a place for foodies. Unique dishes, fabulous spices, sauces and the freshest ingredients. The Chef came out and talked with us and his talent shines through in every dish. Try it-you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Neighborhood treatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014What a wonderful little restaurant in a quiet neighborhood setting! There was a good varied assortment on the lunch menu with quite a few fish/seafood options and a large list of salads. There were a number of wines to choose from and a very tempting dessert list. Too bad we were too full from our large salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- But the noise!PowderdazeVIPDined on 7/26/2014I made my first visit to Wence's on a Saturday evening at around 7. We were seated pretty quickly and the service was good. But the noise! There are some very simple things they could do to reduce the decibels in the place. It was built with ALL hard surfaces. The food was excellent and I would hate to see them fail because of something so basic and so fixable. I will go back again but will probably ask to sit outdoors.Special Features:
- Great food, but don't complain!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014First time eating at Wence's after many recommendations. Not the best service, but the caprese salad and crab stack made up for it!! Delicious and will most likely return. The only negative ... A couple near us, arrived before us, my husband and I ordered, ate and payed for our meal before they even got an entrée! What rubbed me wrong about the situation is neither the server or manager apologized. They just kept trying to justify, I wanted to say "just say sorry and move on!". The server was very defensive and walked away from the table rolling her eyes. I own a retail store, and to customers, perception is reality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeighborNeighborGalDined on 7/25/2014I have been here several times with friends and family. The food is fantastic, the cocktail area is quaint, and I have never had bad service. The only thing I wish would change is the noise level, I would not consider this place "romantic" for that reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So glad we tried it!maryglDined on 7/23/2014Our group gets together every couple of months. We like to try locally owned places. After seeing Wence's on Open Table and reading many positive reviews, we decided to try it. There were 9 of us (originally 16, then down to 12, then 10, and one didn't show up). We all enjoyed the food, from the crab stacks to the sweet potato fries, from the sea bass special of the day to the cheeseburger (for a 10-year-old who thoroughly enjoyed it). The cookie melt and creme brulee were delicious desserts. The noise level truly IS very high, so we were actually happy that our party of 16 had dwindled to nine, or we would never have been able to talk amongst ourselves. We all agreed we would go back.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureMattrnbsn1VIPDined on 7/13/2014Great resturaunt for all. Local community gem. Will always be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Penguina2Dined on 7/10/2014The food was extremely good however the noise level was very loud. It was very difficult to hear my husband who was sitting across from me. I loved the food so will definitely be back however because of the noise level, my husband does not want to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FindGoodandredeDined on 7/9/2014Had lunch with a friend. The expansion looks good. They needed more room. The food was good/great (that's the upper side of good). Their soup that day - lobster chowder - was really wonderful! My sandwich was good. My friend raved about her street tacos! We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighbor GemOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/7/2014Really wonderful food! Excellent service! It's hidden away in a step mall in pleasant hill, almost Lafayette . Definitely worth trying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodFlemingVIPDined on 7/3/2014I had the swordfish -it was excellent. My daughter had Caesar salad with prawns which was very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedLoriVIPDined on 6/28/2014We've been to all the Walnut Creek restaurants, and except for a select few, find them pretty mediocre and not worth the money. We were pleasantly surprised at the level of "foodieness" of Wence's. The food was wonderful - beautifully presented, sophisticated/interesting flavors, very generous portions (I should have brought some home but it was so good I could not stop eating!), and the service was also great. I myself am a very good cook, so I have a high bar. Wence's met/exceeded it. Let's hope our 2nd visit is as good as the first.Special Features:
- The following 138 reviews are from the Wence's Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great place to eat and chat!SailoretteDined on 6/23/2014Went with a party of 7 retired corporate women who are all foodies. They agreed we should come back and all try different items from the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll give them another chance...JimCVIPDined on 6/22/2014No issue with the food, once it came, but big service drop-off from previous visits. Has been a breath of fresh air in P Hill, but this time service was very slow & did not check me in for OpenTable reservation so I had to go to OpenTable to get credit for visit, as restaurant was not willing to do anything about it when I called (or at least didn't know what to do about it). They were quite busy, perhaps understaffed -- due to recent expansion of restaurant square footage?
- Needs improvementUshldskipitDined on 6/21/2014We got 6:15 pm reservation but we didn't get our dinner served until 7:10. It was not busy when arrived so we were surprised it took so long to get our meals. My husband liked his seafood grill since he suggested to the waitress that it should be seared and not cooked thoroughly. However, my seafood pasta was soaking in pesto sauce. The waitress was very professional and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedLinkDined on 6/15/2014Was not expecting to find the food as good as it was for being a neighborhood restaurant. Food was excellent and a good portion. I order the calamari appetizer and the pork chop (really big size), both were very well prepared. Equal to the restaurants in SF. Will definitely returning on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice new neighborhood restaurantJingoDined on 6/15/2014The salmon was very good, the gnocchi was fine but not great. We sat outside, the server was a bit disorganized but very pleasant. I will go back again and would take friends there.Special Features:
- Awful service; don't bother!!BellsDined on 6/15/2014Selected Wence's based on many positive reviews. However, we had an awful experience. For 20 minutes nary a server looked our way. When I got up and asked if someone would take our order, the response was "OK, wadaya want?" Really?! Took another 20 minutes to get our appetizer. Nearly 30 minutes after the app plates were removed we still didn't have our entrees. The server said the kitchen had run out of bread for my sandwich. Found the manager who said that wasn't true, that the Father's Day crowd caused the delays. After I pointed out four tables that were seated after us and served already, she said, "Just another 5 minutes." 15 minutes later the food finally arrived. It was tasty, but given the awful service, I'll never return.
- Wence's- good selection, good foodRomanticOnesDined on 6/14/2014Was taken here for an early Father's Day/Birthday dinner. Good selection for everyone on menu. Food arrived hot and prepared well. We had a number of appetizers to start, and then ordered our entrees. Everyone seemed to enjoy their food, and there was plenty of it! We took several containers home for later. Service was very good and prompt. Would happily go back there again....Special Features:
- Outstanding diningSpartyDined on 6/7/2014The food and presentation were outstanding. We started with the scallops which were perfectly prepared and presented. Entree's were the swordfish and mahi-mahi. The presention is right there or better than San Francisco's finest restaurants. The mahi-mahi was on top of some potatoes and green beans, topped with a plum and mango salsa - to die for. Similarly the swordfish comes stacked in between veggies and toppings. Service was great, the waitress has been there a while an knows all the menu items in great detail. From a food standpoint I think it is the best restuarant in area - WC, Lafayette, Danville, etc. - and throw in the reasonable prices and it is even better. if yo have never been this is a gem you need to try.Special Features: