2720 N Grandview Blvd
Waukesha, WI 53188Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.weissgerbers.com/
- Phone: (262) 544-4460
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday and Saturday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm;
Sunday - Closed.
The bar opens every day at 3pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, American
- Executive Chef: Justin Fuhrman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private & semi-private dining available (25 person minimum - 125 person maximum)
- Private Party Contact: Candace Enters 2625444460
A word from Weissgerber's Gasthaus
Metro Milwaukee's finest German restaurant. Authentic European recipes for over 30 years plus modern American cuisine, excellent beer & wine selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Weissgerber's Gasthaus reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (11)neighborhood gem (6)romantic (5)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (5)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great birthday for wifezimmsDined on 11/8/2014It was great to have a fantastic meal and our waitress did a great job. She was friendly and very helpful. Very nice birthday cake that you have, and very good. Met some new friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Bit of Germany in WisconsinRichardgDined on 10/25/2014There's no mistaking Weissgerber's as anything but Bavarian. The outdoor entrance is typical Europen style and the extensive wood details within the restaurant along with banners, paintings and glass showcases filled with Bavarian dolls, plates, etc. made you feel like you were actually in Europe. The person greeting us was extremely pleasant and were we brought to our table immediately. Our waitress was also very pleasant and effecient. Food arrive quickly and was hot and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fitz91Dined on 10/14/2014Fantastic Food, and great ambiance. Staff was energetic and knowledgeable. Went there for a business meal with a group and my team has already put a request to go back the next time they come into town, it made quite the impression.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Anniversary Place27yearsDined on 10/9/2014Felt very special while dining -- thank you for the great serviceSpecial Features:
- Overpriced and average foodNickDined on 9/24/2014Ridiculously priced meals, and soup and salad are extra!
- Not like it USED to be....HanselandGretelDined on 9/20/2014We have always made our Anniversary dinner (last 20 out of 45 anyhow) a special evening with a Dinner at the GastHaus but we were SO disappointed this year I think we will be making other plans for next year. The Pork Shank that USED to be a 2# deep fried MOIST wonder is now barely 1# and a dried out attempt of a flavorless bone. There was hardly any meat on it and what WAS there was DRY DRY DRY and covered in mustard seeds that had to be picked off before you could put it in your mouth. I even remember when Bush #1 was in town and ordered the Shank to be brought to him at his hotel in Downtown Milwaukee. We also used to cherish the Weiner Schnitzel which was TOUGH and so THIN you KNEW it wasn't the right cut.Special Features:
- Excellent Dinner ExperiencemarriedtoaGerrmanDined on 8/30/2014We were a group of 5 on a Saturday night. We were seated quickly (was busy but not crowded). Our waiter was awesome taking our drink order quickly; however, the bar was a little backed up so we had to wait a bit, but it wasn't too bad. Every time we go they have new specialty drinks so we HAD to try the fruity Martinis (loved the Peach). The Stuffed Artichoke appetizer did not disappoint and their soft pretzels are hard to pass up. Being 100% German, 3 of the 5 ordered the German Combination Plate - everything was beyond excellent (they raved about the Duck). The Veal Ramona and the Chicken Rudesheim were also wonderful. Save room for dessert (share if you have to), the Cheesecake (w/Turtle topping) and Schaum Torte were top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place needs an ugrade ambienceMikeGDined on 8/16/2014Carpet needs replacing, eating utensils are more appropriate for the Waffle House, overall the entire place needs an upgrade. Food is ok but there are better choices in the area.
- Old World FeelChefguy75Dined on 8/9/2014The decor reminded me of places I dined at in Germany. The Escargot was made perfect. My JaegerSchnitzel was a bit over cooked and not pounded thin enough, Veggies could have been cooked a bit longer. The Carmel/Banana pie was out of sight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Higher ExpectationsLuvtoeatGermanFoodDined on 8/4/2014Food was okay. Never had schnitzel grilled before. Traditionally schnitzel is fan fried. The black forest ham was not black forest ham-just ham. Beer steins are nothing more than large glass beer mugs. Normally they are 3 liter steins. Beer, wine, and drinks were very good. Authentic german schnapps. Meal served with lots of red and yellow peppers. Not a traditional vegetable for german cuisine. The wait staff was very good. Friendly, and prompt with their service. Atmosphere was pleasant, quiet, and quaint.Special Features:
- Great find but priceypirateduckDined on 8/2/2014The food and service were excellent. However, we thought that the menu was a bit pricey.Special Features:
- yum1KittyDined on 8/2/2014This was our first time at this restaurant and will definately return. Menu was varied with a wide selection of German and other selections. Enjoyed the ambiance of the bar for a cocktail first and really felt welcomed. Nice to enjoy a privately owned restaurant that actually seems to take care of their employees. Everyone seemed to love their jobs! EXCELLENT escargot!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 247 reviews are from the Weissgerber's Gasthaus reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014It was our anniversary. The Host gave us a terrible table, right by the entry way. We ask to get a other table but the Host said no. Also into the Meal the Host put a family with three little kids next to us. Also ask for no Sauerkraut on my Meal, but it came with Sauerkraut. There was plenty of open Tables we could enjoyed our anniversary. It was disappointing.Special Features:
- Make sure you like German FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/21/2014Authentic menu - but you better like German food. I ordered the Pork Shanks because it was their speciality. I think it was made correctly, but it was a shocker - it's wrapped in crispy fat strip. But, my husband who is German loved having it as a leftover. He had the sausage stuffed pork chop and that was yummy. My husband got a free desert for his birthday - a multi-layer white cake with cream filling - omg that was off the chain great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014We arrived with 2 young children and our adult disabled daughter. We were early and had never come on a Saturday night-- always before we had been there on Friday when it is quite noisy. We were very worried that our boisterous group would be a problem but the service was great and our experience couldn't have been nicer. Thank you Gasthaus for being so welcoming!!Special Features:
- less than a hitTomSDined on 5/11/2014Went there for mother's day because my wife wanted duck. Unfortunately they only had an abbreviated menu for the holiday and that option was deleted from the regular menu. Though the service was good, I thought the main course was less than exceptional as the vegetables and potatoes were served at a tepid temperature at best. (also only one choice for the style of potato.) Not what I have experienced in the past as far as quality. Dessert was outstanding. Would not recommend as a Mother's day destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rather disappointedfinerdinerDined on 5/6/2014We went with two good friends. We had bragged about the beef rouladen, but this time it was so salty that it made our dinners a total disappointment. We told the server and hostess, the hostess did not seem to care, she did not make any attempt to remedy the situation. The server was more concerned about the salty meals, but there was nothing he could do. The beef on the rouladen was pounded so thin that it was difficult to tell that it was beef, it was almost paper thin. So $28 per plate was a waste of money. Our friends were so disappointed that we have decided not to return for a long time.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Have loved the Gasthaus for years and was looking forward to dining again. But was very disappointed by recipe change of the red cabbage. It was too mushy and tasted more like applesauce. Our server was very unfriendly and cold. Probably won't be back.
- Didn't Meet ExpectationsDinerDined on 4/20/2014For a restuarant that charged $26.95 a person for "family" style Easter brunch, it could have been less fluff and more normal food. Our first plate of meet and vegetables came out cold. That was AFTER waiting for 20 minutes for a server. Over priced, underserved and I should've known it wouldn't be better than my first experience there. Never again.
- Easter BrunchbizpsychDined on 4/20/2014We ate our Easter Brunch here. There was a good variety of meats on the menu but fewer egg dishes or vegetables. The food was good but not great. The service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Romantic EveningBrunettgalDined on 4/10/2014My husband and I dinned at the restaurant for our Anniversary dinner. The service was outstanding! The waiter attended to our every need. It was a lovely European atmosphere and the food was outstanding. All of our food came right on time and our water glasses filled many times. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone who would like to have a full service restaurant with great European food. My husband and I had a lovely dinning experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fantastic andDougDined on 3/12/2014The food was fantastic and it was a great experience for our group. We will definitely look at making future reservations when opportunities present themselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than decor to make it GermanbunkyDined on 2/22/2014I was born in Germany and moved here in my early teens. We visited over the years and I have as an adult. There was nothing that distinguished my food from any American restaurant. The smoked pork chop had little taste as did the spaetzle and the red cabbage was mushy and overcooked. My mate's sausage were fine but the horseradish and mustard were out of jar. Our waitress asked what we wanted to drink but there was no beverage list on our table, we had to point that out. There was a birthday party in the room next to us with the glass connecting windows open! The hostess desk was unmanned when we arrived. She was upstairs. I really expected the food and service to be excellent and was disappointed.
- a little taste of BavariaNedlyVIPDined on 2/15/2014My wife and I really enjoyed dinner at Weissgerber's Gasthaus! The food was terrific (stuffed pork chops are a must) and the service was excellent. The dinning room reminds me of dining/beer halls that i have visited in Germany. We will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great German Cuisinecasualdiner83Dined on 1/25/2014The Service was polite and prompt, the food was well served in a more than adequate portion. The recipes were very traditional German which reminded me of those served in restaurants in Germany. The only concern was it was a but noisy so carrying on a conversation may be difficult, due to the size and geometry of the room. Overall, this is a great place to take a date for a romantic dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was excellent-- theSteveDined on 1/25/2014Dinner was excellent-- the room was a bit chilly but we were there during the frigid temperaturesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We reserved the "Picture"OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/4/2014We reserved the "Picture" table located in the corner south of the fireplace. Very good meal, so many things I wanted to try on the menu!Special Features:
- We had a great time at theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013We had a great time at the bar, good old fashions and the bartenders were really nice. Waitress was great and the food was amazing as always. The only thing I missed was the accordion playing in the main dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but my request was ignoredGermanfoodluvrDined on 12/28/2013My husband and I dined here last Saturday for his birthday. I reserved my table online and requested a table in the corner with some privacy. We were seated in the middle of a crowded room at a table for 4. I asked our waitress if we could move to the table in the corner a few tables away. She promptly did and mentioned that she saw our request and commented about how nicely dressed we were. My husband and I don't eat out much because we prefer to cook at home. When we do go out we really dress up, although there was a nice mix if casual and more formal attire as I looked around. My husband loves German food and he really enjoyed it. Our waitress was fantastic, everything was paced perfectly despite how busy she was. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BAD FOODDisappointedDined on 12/28/2013The food was terrible. All 5 dinners we well over cooked and dry. We will not be going back.
- AtmosphereShirleyDined on 12/21/2013This was a great experience and good food. The only criticism I ever have at this restaurant, it the management never really makes you feel welcome. I remember ;years ago how you would be greeted at the door, the bar, Now it is just do you want to be seated/ what do you want to drink. Doesn't make you want to come back. The only thing that keeps us going back is the german food.
- Meal Before A ConcertBoogieDined on 12/9/2013This was my first time at the Gasthaus. It was what I expected it to be--a German restaurant with German food. The food was good but not exceptional. The service was very attentive. My wiener schnitzel was good but not the best that I have had. I like mine better but there are always differences in preferences. The beer was very good. I would choose to dine there again perhaps choosing a different meal selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/28/2013Made a res this year because we enjoyed it last year. Not so this year. Had 6pm res. My husband and stepson enjoyed their trad. german meals. My sister and I had the traditional turkey dinner. The stuffing was awful. It looked and tasted like a block of sausage. The platter was luke warm. The gravy that was poured on the meat looked like it was on the meat for awhile. It was no longer shiney like newly poured gravy, but dull like it was already cooling. The cranberry sauce was runny. The cream of asparagus soup that my husband and I had was runny, like they were trying to stretch out the soup. Our waitress was charming and engaging...a real keeper.
- Ambiance was wonderful. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/28/2013Ambiance was wonderful. Food good with exception to the stuffing which was fine but unexpected, nothing serious. The waitress was very good and friendly, prompt and got our orders correct.Special Features:
- THANKSGIVINGOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/28/2013Four of us had Thanksgiving dinner. The meal was fine, but not outstanding. Our service was wonderful.Special Features:
- Lovely gem just off the InterstateGretchenDined on 11/16/2013Lovely gem just off the Interstate with excellent German-style and American food. Actually more "German" than most restaurants in Germany.Special Features:
- Excellent nightLDsMomDined on 11/9/2013We started the evening in the bar, and the bartenders were as friendly and attentive as ever. The food was fabulous. I had the saurbraten, and it tasted like my Grandmother's did (from Germany). I encouraged my date to try the rollbraten, since he is not very familiar with German food- he loved it!. The service was great, the ambiance was warm and authentic, and the prices were fair; I've been going to the Gasthaus with my parents since I was a little girl. I am 38 now, and bring my own son. I hope to keep this a long time tradition! -I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner @ the GausthausAiyaDined on 10/19/2013Bought a coupon on line a few months back for the Gausthaus on Grandview in Waukesha. Heard the Fish Frys were great but when I read the fine print I realized it couldn't be used on Fish Frys. Instead I took my family of 9 to dinner for a treat and we were not disappointed. First of all the service was excellent. Greg was our waiter and I must say he was a delight. Food from the fresh pretzels in the bread basket to all our dinners was excellent. Oh and the wine was "from heaven" and the desserts were fabulous. Would highly recommend this restaurant to all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite placesBailersDined on 10/12/2013I don't know what to say about this place, except it's fantastic. Very nice and attentive wait staff, the food is excellent (we had the sampler plate on Saturday) and if you do nothing else, have the bee sting cake with a stein of Hofbrau. We'll be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- German food at it's bestenjoysgoodfoodDined on 10/12/2013My husband and I have traveled to Germany and Austria a fair amount of times and the food is wonderful. This restaurant is as close as you can get to authentic around the Milwaukee/Waukesha area. The prices are high, but not overly so and you get a good amount of food, including a side dish (like spaetzle -- the best) and a vegetable, not just the main dish (meat usually). The bread basket, which includes a soft pretzel, is delicious as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.