50 Clinton Street
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.wd-50.com/
- Phone: (212) 477-2900
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner five days a week: Wednesday through Sunday, 6pm - 10pm.
**November 30th will be the last day of service for wd~50. We hope you will join us in the coming months!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Wylie Dufresne
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Diners are welcome to visit the kitchen after dining.
A word from wd-50
wd~50 offers fine dining in a casual atmosphere on Manhattan’s Lower East Side. The restaurant is open for dinner five nights a week from 6pm to 10pm, and offers two tasting menus: twelve courses for $155, and five courses for $90 featuring classic dishes from past menus. Bar diners can enjoy either tasting menu or select two courses from the menus (sweet or savory items) for $25; additional courses can be added for $15 per course. We no longer offer an a la carte menu. Wylie Dufresne, Sous Chef Sam Henderson and Pastry Chef Malcolm Livingston II serve modern American cuisine renowned for its flavor, sophistication, and innovation. The dining room seats 70 and the private dining room 14 people. wd~50 has a Michelin star and in March of 2008 was awarded three stars by Frank Bruni of the New York Times.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
wd-50 reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (110)special occasion (97)notable wine list (53)hot spot (45)neighborhood gem (39)romantic (31)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Amazing MealDiner145Dined on 11/9/2014We've wanted to try this restaurant for 8 years, and finally came here for our anniversary dinner. The experience was amazing. The service was wonderful, and everyone was very friendly. The food was exquisite, it was one of the best meals we've ever eaten. The shrimp cannelloni in particular was very delicious, but we loved every course. All of the food was so creative, the plating was beautiful, the drinks were delicious, and we are very happy we tried this restaurant. So sad it is closing! We enjoyed every moment of our time at wd~50.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OaktownieVIPDined on 11/5/2014Remarkable, less pretentious use of modern techniques than some of its ilk, taste sometimes subtle and always wonderful. Each dish on the main tasting menu was special and memorable, though a few, whether the oyster with crisped oyster shell or the shrimp grits (no polenta was spilled in the making) were perfect combinations of technique and flavor. Some new -- pork collar -- some old -- waygu beef, for the first time done so well that I finally got what is so special about it -- and some -- the large container (once refilled) of sesame bread done pappadum style --just downright enjoyable. Obviously, if it were open, we would go the next time we were in NYC, but for now we lament its closing and will follow WD the Chef wherever he goes.Special Features:
- Terrific!lerererererDined on 10/29/2014Some of the best food I've ever had... beautiful presentation and excellent service throughout the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why Did I Wait So Long To Dine HerelalaVIPDined on 10/23/2014To begin with a cliche OMG!!!!!! The food was beyond words...drinks incredible. If I had a pile of money I would venture to WD-50 again to dine upon the 12 course menu, & the by tickets to the last two weeks events. I am saddened that they are shuttering the doors, but I wish him all the best at his new establishment Adler. The 6 course Vault meal that I partook with my bestie during our monthly new restaurant outing was superb! The progression of courses; in flavor, temperature, & protein...inspired! Every item that was placed on the plate had a purpose. At the end I wanted to begin again. I never imagined that I would be having the most delicious meal of my life from start to finish(no exaggeration). I understand why he lasted here 12yrs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine.sonhomeu01VIPDined on 10/19/2014The food at WD 50 is art! Each plate is a beautiful masterpiece that also tastes wonderful, but almost looks too pretty to eat. I loved the combinations and there were so many new things I had never tried/experienced before. Pine udon? Lamb belly that looked like bacon? Caramelized black chick peas? Everything was amazing! We opted for The Vault (5 courses of their favorites) over the 12 course seasonal tasting menu since our reservation was at 9:30 pm and we didn't want to gorge ourselves so late at night. Service was friendly and speedy, the wine pairings were perfect and the wine selections were excellent, and it was the perfect amount of food. It was an incredible dinner experience. We feel so lucky to have had this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sad to see them goAaAaDined on 10/17/2014Excellent food. Cooks are still giving 100%. Wish I could say the same for the waitstaff. All of them were looking ahead to their next job in 1.5 months. Small tables for 2 still packed in like foamed sardines.Special Features:
- yesjaneDined on 10/15/2014we went because it's closing. we'e going back because it's terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014The food was exceptionally plated. It was evident that each course’s preparation was very technical. A great first experience.Special Features:
- Amazing!jessDined on 10/11/2014I've waited 11 years to have dinner here and it did not disappoint! Playful, creative, innovative flavor combinations and textures. I'm so sad that this place is closing next month because of property development, it's such a shame.Special Features:
- best meal I have hadFoodnetworkloverDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I have been wanting to go here for years. When we heard it was closing we knew we had to make reservations for our upcoming anniversary. Yes - it's pricey, no- I don't regret it. The service was phenemonal, everyone was so eager to please. The food was great and the presentation was lovely. We did the 12 course tasting and tried things we have never tried before. I can honestly say that I only disliked 1 dish- the hamachi but it was due to my tastes not the chef. To make it even better chef dufresne was in the kitchen the whole night. It is definitely a night I will always remember. If you are a foodie or just love creative tasty food- go before it closes- you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy fancy fancyIhaveabigeggplantDined on 10/4/2014Something really different and perfect for a 2nd dateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, lovely serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/28/2014We've been to wd-50 twice now. It hasn't disappointed yet. Really wonderful food and service.Special Features:
- Try it if you can!satisfieddinerDined on 9/27/2014wd-50 will be closing soon, so I jumped at the chance to take my wife for a special dinner. I am between 4 and 5 stars on this one. Excellent food with amazing presentation, solid atmosphere and excellent service. For 2 tasting menus and some drinks, after a good tip, well over $400 - phew. Sooooo, know that going in. I figured it would be a very expensive meal, so I can't complain too much, and it did deliver on being memorable and unique. Super-interesting stuff on the plate. And like I mentioned, great service from friendly people. Too bad it has to close soon. Go if you can!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When food is this good....FierianVIPDined on 9/27/2014You almost want to cry that this place is closing. My husband and I went for our anniversary, and it was totally worth the cost (12 course tasting and wine pairings). The food is imaginative and fun, the wine was excellent and the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't believe it is closing!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014Celebrating a special occasion we finally made reservations at WD50 even though we have lived in the neighborhood for a few years. The food blew our expectations away and the wine pairing was exceptional as well. We had an early reservation through open table and wouldn't have changed it for the world, it was so much fun to see the restaurant fill up and receive the first service of the 12 course meal. Apps and entrees were more notable than the desserts, but I would love to go again before they close at the end of November. Absolutely worth the time (2.5/3 hours) and money ($$$$).Special Features:
- Don't leave me WylieCRMDVIPDined on 9/26/2014Um...wd 50 is amazing. This review is worthless since its closing in a few weeks. No!! KAAAAAHN!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden downtown GemstkjtravelsDined on 9/21/2014When you walk around this neighbourhood, you would not think there would be a great restaurant. The outside of WD~50 is very low key, and the indoor decor is very simple however the food will wow you. We opted for the 'short' (classic) menu because we were still full from lunch and it was delicious! One of my better dining experiences in NY, deserves more than the 1 Michelin Star it has.Special Features:
- No good service poor level food!HisabonDined on 9/19/2014We should wait almost 1 hour at poor space. We don't know reason because of they have empty table. Almost we cancel our reservation they bring to long bench chair. If food are excellent it's okay but NOT GOOD!Special Features:
- Still HungryHungryPatronDined on 9/12/2014First, I enjoyed the food; it was good and interesting. The presentation was great. I had the 12 course tasting menu. I was worried that it would be too much food for me and I actually left still hungry. I am not a big eater, I weigh 145 pounds, so for me to still be hungry after dinner is unheard of. At the price point of WD50 - no one should leave hungry. I basically paid over $400 for my wife and I, and went home to raid my refrigerator. The quality and creativity did not compensate for the price and portion, sorry. Unfortunately, I cannot in good faith recommend this place to anyone who wants a satisfying meal. If you want to see some beautiful food that taste good and you have some expendable income – this is the place for you.Special Features:
- Not worth it for the priceMardonVIPDined on 9/12/2014Very good, creative dinner (great for foodies) but limited options: two tasting menus only/no a la carte option; excellent service; limited ambiance; totally overpriced!Special Features:
- One of a kind experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/11/2014The most amazing meal. It was so fun trying all the chef's creations. This was truly a meal to remember.Special Features:
- Wylie is a geniusbearloyerDined on 9/4/2014We had the 12 course tasting menu and loved the experience. The food was out of this world. Pure genius. The staff and service could not have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dynamite DishesSS85Dined on 9/3/2014Phenomenal and innovative food! wd-50 is a don't - miss experience-- especially before the restaurant shutters its doors forever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RavenDined on 8/31/2014The service was truly the highlight of the meal. Fortune is a professional and a real gem. He made our wd-50 experience incredible. The food was all delicious but none of us were as wowed as we expected to be with insane crazy creativity. That said, there wasn't one course we didn't absolutely enjoy. The wine pairings are a must if doing the tasting. Hope you have Fortune to talk you through them. Don't miss out on the entire experience. Lucky to have had an opportunity to dine at such a nyc standard before it goes away. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the hype!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014I've been wanting to go to WD-50 forEVER. Although I was underwhelmed by the venue/ambiance, the food did not disappoint. We didn't have enough time to do the 12 course meal but the 5 course was awesome. each dish was very original, beautifully presented, and delicious. Hope we'll be able to return for the 12 course!Special Features:
- Great dining experienceSwissFoodieDined on 8/28/2014We went for the big tasting menu. Every course was a culinary experience, ranging from very good to outstanding. The knowledgeable staff gives good explanations about the creative and sometimes unusual combinations of ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time last timeMysayDined on 8/28/2014As a knowledgable and seasoned diner, this place was a great disappointment. Culinary training and talent is apparent, however the use of low cost food items in highly insulting for what is being charged here. In other words - What this meal cost was blatantly inflated. The cost of what was served was minuscule in comparison.Special Features:
- Too edgy for our tasteDifoodieDined on 8/27/2014Ubfortunately, the experience did not go as good as it could've been since the beginning. The host was kind of rude and our waitress was dismissive. The food some was great but some was bad. At least we ended the meal with the lamb pancetta and the hazelnut tart which takes off the bitterness out of the experience.Special Features:
- Worth the moneySpizaklwDined on 8/27/2014We had the full tasting with wine pairing and it was delicious. Need a room nearby with the wine pairing because they are not shy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SquishyDined on 8/27/2014I came here to celebrate my birthday with one of my best friends and it was a wonderful experience. We opted for the 12 course tasting menu. The pace of the dinner was perfectly timed unlike some tasting menus I have been to that have lasted for 5 hours. The servers were attentive and polite. Portion was enough to taste each dish and left us satisfied without feeling too full. The food was creative and absolutely delicious. I would like to note that my friend's food "kryptonite" is corn, as she absolutely hates it. However, one of her FAVORITE dishes of the night was the "Shrimp and Grits" which was made mostly with corn. I believe the ability to change one's opinion of a certain food is a stamp of a top quality restaurant.Special Features:
- ExperienceTheDealeDined on 8/23/2014This was a long-anticipated event for us and it didn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pls visit before they closeTesterDined on 8/21/2014Great food, it is worth a visit. Small items, but after twelve of them with corresponding wine you will be happy.Special Features:
- Perfect anniversary dinnerheavyhokieDined on 8/20/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at WD-50 and had a wonderful meal. Out pre-dinner cocktails were excellent. We had the "From The Vault" tasting. Had the most perfectly cooked scallop I've ever had. The waitstaff was friendly and attentive. We'll be sad to see it go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was dissappointed. Left hungry.disappointedDined on 8/20/2014I wanted to love this place. It had been on my list of places I wanted to try for a few years. Our table ordered the 6 course tasting menu. It was the less expensive of the two options for dinner, but regardless, 6 courses at $15 each should not leave diners hungry at the end of a meal. I understand the hard work and preparation that went into them, but I wanted to be blown away by the food. I had eaten at Arzak in Spain, and I held WD-50 to a similar standard. Unfortunately it fell flat. The food combination of the pine with the scallops didn't work for anyone at the table. Scallops do not belong in the forrest. The lamb belly was a nice dish, but portions shoud have been a little bigger all around.Special Features:
- DisappointedfotofemmeDined on 8/20/201413 very small tastes but only about 4 outstanding. Servers failed to bring sesame chips that everyone else had with their drinks before the 1st course was served. When we asked the girl who took our order she was a bit snippy. Bus boys were polite in asking were finished but not so the female order taker who took a dessert plate that was not finished. The hostess took a wine glass that still had a few sips in it. Good things were shrimp and grits, hamachi with blood sausage, pork collar and duck breast. Noise level way too high and loud music added to the difficulty in having conversation. Was glad to be out of there. Spend another $100 and go to 11 Madison where you will be delighted.Special Features:
- So disappointed!VioletteDined on 8/17/2014The first time my boyfriend and I went to Wd-50 was 2 years ago and we just loved it. Food was absolutely delicious, service was perfect and we enjoyed the ambience. As we read that they would be closing in November, we booked a table there during a trip in NYC. What a change!!! Portions dramatically shrank (some dishes were just ridiculously small), quality is not as high as before, service got really snobbish (nearly rude at the bar) and still for big $$$. We left the place very disappointed and still hungry.
- disappointing and overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014I had an odd experience at wd50 . There was nothing wrong with the food per se , but the whole experience completely ruined the meal for me. To begin with tables are far too close to each other , for a meal of this cost I do not want to be sitting on my neighbours lap . Second service was extremely slow and the wine tasting matching was terrible , tiny winy portions and wines that did not really go + portions were tiny
- AN experiencelovenycfoodDined on 8/14/2014Outstanding service without being uptight. Everyone was on point at all times. The food was as interesting and you imagined, the blending of different tastes and flavors you never thought would go together. The cocktails were made to perfection. We were able to go into the kitchen after the meal with the manager to see where the magic happens. The kitchen was super organized and spotless! I mean how often do you get to have a quality meal like this and then actually go into the kitchen where it was created?! We also saw Wylie Dufresne outside as he was leaving and thanked him. He was so down to earth and happy to be doing what he is doing! EXCELLENT!Special Features:
- Delicious.AheideDined on 8/14/2014What a wonderful meal! Service staff was outstanding and knowledgable. I am glad we were able to dine here before they close later this year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for special occasions!fancyfreeDined on 8/13/2014Generally, I don't frequent places like WD~50. Not because I don't want to but because I don't have the funds. However, this was a splurge to treat my brother, a big foodie, for his birthday, as well as a celebration of his moving to NYC. WD~50 did not disappoint. We tried tho 'From the Vault' menu with the wine pairing. The food was excellent, especially the lamb's belly course and the dessert. The wines, for me, were particularly good and very well paired. Our server was also genuinely friendly and knowledgeable, always appearing at the right time with water, food, wine, and information. While it may be a few more years before I can return to a place like this, I had a wonderful time and recommend going before they close in November.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.