Watty & Meg
248 Court Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Watty & Meg
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wattyandmeg.com/
- Phone: 7186430007
- Hours of Operation:
Monday 12 noon - 10 pm
Tuesday 12 noon - 10 pm
Wednesday 12 noon - 10 pm
Thursday 12 noon - 10 pm
Friday 12 noon - 11 pm
Brunch 11 am to 4 pm
Dinner 5 pm to 11 pm
Brunch 11 am to 4 pm
Dinner 5 pm to 10 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mary E. McGrath
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Watty & Meg is happy to provide you with private services and catering in your home from Chef Mary McGrath and Sosie Hublitz. Visit wattyandmeg.com for more information about menus and pricing!
- Private Party Facilities: Our private "Oak Room" and the entire restaurant are both available for rental for all types of private events. Visit the "Private Party" page on wattyandmeg.com.
- Private Party Contact: Sosie Hublitz 8888659486
A word from Watty & Meg
Located on the corner of Court Street and Kane Street in historic Cobble Hill, Brooklyn, this 72 seat restaurant offers fantastic farm to table, seasonal menus. There are two dining rooms, an intimate & elegant setting with warm lighting, reclaimed church pews from Harlem and mahogany shelving. Owner Sosie Hublitz and Chef Mary McGrath helm the ship of Watty & Meg serving contemporary American fare inspired by seasonal and local ingredients. Watty & Meg is open 7 days a week for lunch, brunch & dinner. Every Monday is Burger Night with the unbeatable $10 Burger (beef or veggie), hand-cut fries and can of beer special. Watty & Meg is available for private dinner parties, events and receptions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Watty & Meg - Best Restaurants in Cobble Hill ›
Watty & Meg reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)fit for foodies (8)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (4)romantic (3)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- CarieDined on 7/25/2014Our food runner was by far the only stand out of the evening. The entire staff seemed annoyed and like they could care less. It was uncomfortable. Apart from that, food was fine. Atmosphere was pleasant.
- Pleasantly surprised!BBGuyVIPDined on 6/6/2014Last minute rez turned out to be a great call. Food was outstanding and service was spot on. 1000 pt deal made it even more delightful. Small tip, truffle ketchup was a nice touch and has now become a must have in our house. Def going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 115 reviews are from the Watty & Meg reviews archive.
- Delish brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/18/2014Had brunch at Watty & Meg and LOVED it. The quinoa and kale salad is SO delicious even if you're tired of the quinoa and kale trend.Special Features:
- Good vibes and great food!OutoftownerVIPDined on 5/17/2014From a great entrée or a great burger, Watty & Meg always pleases!Special Features:
- greatly disappointedtrevise2kDined on 5/11/2014Poor food selections/offerings and the food itself was tasteless. Eh a little pricey.Special Features:
- Solid neighborhood standbyJakeydVIPDined on 5/9/2014The Maple Burger rocks. Hemingway Daquiri was deliciousSpecial Features:
- Great Place!carrollGDined on 5/3/2014I have never had a bad meal and the service is great. My favorite burger place too. I take friends there and they also love it.Special Features:
- Cozy and yummy and approachableDeliciousVIPDined on 5/2/2014We first went to Watty and Meg's the day or two after hurricane Katrina - mostly because it was one of the only places open. We had a great meal then with charismatic and friendly service so we decided to try it again when our inlaws came to town. This time we went for dinner and the good was excellent, the cocktails perfect, and we had a fantastic server. I highly recommend this as a place to bring out of towners who want an approachable slice of New York charm. If this was in my neighborhood, it would be my regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatBrook6Dined on 4/27/2014This was our second time at the restaurant. Food and service are great. A real neighborhood gem !!Special Features:
- Was not specialDangerkittenDined on 4/20/2014The food was okay--but did not match expectations. However, The back room is quite lovely and tasteful. Did not think the quality matched the price. We're fine paying $200 + for the three of us-- but next time we'll return to Blue Ribbon or another trusted venue for a better dining experience --better food and service.
- Great food and people. Great time.DeeRod84Dined on 4/19/2014Just an excellent dining experience. Friendly and accommodating staff, fresh and delicious food , great neighborhood and warm decor. I had the burger...awesome. I had a taste of the Quinoa and Kale salad...also awesome. I definitely dig this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great choiceMattDined on 4/18/2014Needed something quality and convenient when my parents came to visit. W&M always has terrific food and excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Great ambience, average foodAnnaDined on 4/8/2014Lovely place for a cosy date. Our (gorgeous) waiter was attentive and knowledgable about the menu and helped us pick some great wine. My food was ok, but a little over-priced for what it was. The dish was fairly well prepared but it wasn't that interesting or tasty.Special Features:
- Delicious in Cobble HillMgpanDined on 4/7/2014This was our first time trying this place even though I've lived near it for a while. The food was excellent! We had a special creamy tomato Thai soup followed by beef filet and hangar steak frites. The most was cooked perfectly as ordered and was very tender and juicy how I like it. I also had a lovely white sangria. All followed up by a very very good chocolate malt cake with raspberries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top marks!BirthdayDined on 4/5/2014I've been to Watty & Meg before....I loved it both times. The restaurant is very attractive. It's older so it has original charm. We all agreed it was a character place. Plenty of wood and windows, and separated into two dining rooms. It even has bookshelves! Very quaint. Our meals were fabulous. The selection covers every option, but it's not huge, so it's not one of those places that make it hard work to decide! . Satisfied the vegetarians amongst us, and the carnivores! My favourite is the Vegetable Wellington. Very tasty and nicely served. All fish dishes were fresh and delicious, especially the Bronzino. The burgers were really great, and we loved the shoestring fries. Desserts, hmmm good.Special Features:
- Steak Frites and MusicLeffertsmomDined on 3/19/2014We came on a Wednesday night so that we could hear the music which was lovely. My husband and I both had the steak frites. It was well-prepared and delicious but I would have preferred if it was actually a Steak au poivre instead of steak with a dollop of pepper sauce added after. My husband is a beer drinker but I had two of the house cocktails which I quite liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My go-to place in BrooklynCGNNYCVIPDined on 3/16/2014When I want to meet my Brooklyn friends, it seems we always end up at Watty & Meg. While there aren't many choices on their brunch/lunch menu, there's enough and it is always good, fresh and interesting. Service is top notch, they can be a little distracted, but all the servers pitch in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in the C.Gardens HoodWilleburgerDined on 3/15/2014Have dined at Watty & Meg several times…as both, in small groups or large group of friends. All experiences were great. Would definitely recommend it to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticCeeBeeDined on 3/15/2014The food is inventive and delicious. Kale quinoa salad and wolffish were A+. The decor is wonderful and comfortable, sound is moderate (you can have a conversation without yelling or hearing your neighbor) and the energy is bubbly and fun. Host and waitstaff friendly. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotFrasierDined on 3/7/2014Great neighborhood spot that had a real cozy, library in your living room vibe. Sit at the bar by the radiator during the winter!Special Features:
- great food and pretty reasonablesumguyDined on 3/4/2014Another delicious restaurant in the BOCOCA. Very pleasant atmosphere, nice wait staff and delicious food. Not crazy expensive either given the quality of food. Definitely reccomend it. Try the pierogies!Special Features:
- Disappointing brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2014We have loved the restaurant for dinner. Brunch was a disappointment. The fish on the sandwich was meager maybe 2 ounces? Bread was soggy and the fries were lifeless. Must have been a new waiter; got one order wrong and we had to ask for more water and more coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Innovative Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/21/2014This is becoming a "go-to" restaurant for our family. The restaurant has a warm and comfortable feel. The staff is attentive and friendly. We have tried several items off of the "Specials" menu and have been absolutely blown away with the amazing creativity in blending flavors, spices and ingredients. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, terrible valentines moodDouglasDined on 2/14/2014I took my girlfriend here for valentine's day expecting a quiet, romantic setting to enjoy our night. instead it wasn't. The music was horrendous for a night with valentine's specials that was "overbooked". We sat at a table that had a light blaring in my face... it's these little details that make a romantic night out really special, watty and meg lost points for not paying close attention. On the bright side, our waiter was friendly (although he kept touching me every time he'd tend our table) and the tuna tartar/short rib were very tasty. I have no complaints. Any other night, would have been a great choice to go out, but I do regret choosing going here for a romantic dinner...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey and inflexible.Mhoff9VIPDined on 2/8/2014I'm not usually a complainer... but there were a couple of things I found to be ridiculous. 1st issue: there was no draft beer available. Apparently their CO2 feed was broken or something. it's Sat night in Brooklyn. Fix it. 2nd issue: my friend doesn't like mustard greens. They're bitter, and she's not a fan. They come with the roast chicken, and are also on the menu as a side for $6. Also listed as a side for $6 is the cauliflower puree. Why, then, was she not allowed to substitute the puree for the mustard greens? The world may never know. Maybe it didn't flow with the chef's vision for the dish... Overall, I just wasn't that impressed for the price we paid. Maybe I'm just not used to the NYC dinner scene.Special Features:
- Fun Area, Descent Dine.....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/1/2014We had reservations for 2 @ 7pm. Sat immediately, waited 5 minutes for menus and service. Tuna tartar was fabulous and fresh. We ordered the free range chicken and pappardelle. Both were tasty but pappardelle dish was scarce with pasta and abundant with varied green stems. Waitress was inconsistent. I ordered a beer half way thru my meal and never got it. A woman of apparent rank(maybe owner) walked around watching customers. She apppeared stiff and rigid, made eye contact but never approached customers or smiled. Atmosphere felt tense to me. Bar area is beautiful. Old woodwork, cozy, large eat at lay-out. Food quality is good. Found the vibe to be uptight, but might have been bad night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All-around excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/31/2014A fine dining experience. Even the children -- and there were a lot of them -- were beautifully behaved.Special Features:
- Great brunch spot. We metOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/26/2014Great brunch spot. We met a few other friends here, getting together was long overdue, we made a reservation to make sure they could accommodate the six of us and we spent almost 2 hours eating drinking and catching up. All the food and drinks were great. All the meals were good size and we got a few small plates to start off while we caught up. We will come back for another brunch in a few months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific FoodJosephVIPDined on 1/13/2014My wife and one of my best friend from Houston, Texas went to this very quiet and friendly restaurant for dinner on Monday, January 13, 2014. We had an early reservations for 5;30 so the restaurant had only a few couples. The service was very good and the food was even better. I would highly recommend for a romantic date or just dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Brooklyn's BestOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/4/2014The homey decor is just the right mix to set the atmosphere. Chef Mary never disappoints with inventive recipes on some favorite dishes. Reservations are honored promptly and we get a warm greeting. Start with a great selection of wine-- the servers always suggest some good spirits. Don't miss the pierogies or the mac and cheese appetizers. They are far from ordinary restaurant fare and the closest thing to how my grandma made them. The daily menu is never overwhelming. A perfect choice of fish, meat, chicken, pork, etc. with preparations that change often so you never get bored. Fun to watch the prep in the open kitchen. Everyone can enjoy the meals because they easily accommodate gluten-free, vegan, etc. Save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinnerBrooklynNewlywedDined on 12/31/2013We ate at Watty and Meg with our guests on New Year's Eve before our intimate wedding. The service and food could not have been better. We've grown to expect surly wait staff in this city, especially during busy nights; but the staff here has always been very friendly and New Year's Eve was a great example of how welcoming a restaurant can be. And everyone in the party raved about the excellent food. We'll come back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken and tuna tartare excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/23/2013Chicken and tuna tartare excellent. The other food ok. The worst wine I have had in a restaurant in NY
- Nice placehoodsupDined on 12/14/2013This was a spur of the moment visit. The food was generally very good. The macaroni and cheese and salt and pepper calamari were the best tasting and best priced. The main dishes are more expensive, and it seems like you get less food than with the starters. We ordered the steak frites and the steak was a lot colder than it should have been. The taste/flavor was great, but had the temperature been higher I'm sure I would be saying that it was phenomenal. The service was pretty slow. None of the waitstaff was rude or difficult to deal with, I just felt like we had to reach out to our waitress to get attention (except, of course, when they were trying to close around 11pm).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappoints. AlwaysAbbeyVIPDined on 12/7/2013never disappoints. Always a pleasant time with great food.Special Features:
- A nice night outOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/6/2013A bit pricey for all its simplicity, as the place struggles to have a real sense of identity. I wasn't sure if it was an upscale pub, or just a family style bar that does a little bit of everything. It needed a touch of something. I wouldn't say my experience was memorable, the food was good, the service was nice, fair, responsive, and the ambiance seems friendly casual and clean. I'd go back after trying a couple other similar area places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watty & Meg Thanksgiving Prix FixeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/28/2013Good value at $35 per person. Good ingredients, but plated indiscriminately. The turkey was thick slices of white meat, half OK and half overcooked and dry, and only a one narrow strip of dark. Restaurant standard gravy (no turkey broth, no giblets). Hard surfaces (mirrors, shiny ceiling) = noisy. We had to talk loud. Service was slow to take orders, but the waiter apologized and comped us the 22 oz. bottle of pear hard cider we ordered. The pre-prepped dinner specials came very quickly. They work hard and are anxious to please. We'll probably go back on a non-holiday night or weekend brunch. It's several cuts above the various restaurants that have occupied this space. Raspberry sherbet merely OK; chocolate gelato amazing.Special Features:
- Perfect Turkey DaySuncaliinnycDined on 11/28/2013A wonderful Thanksgiving meal! I was so happy that they also offered the full menu so some could dive into the traditional trimmings and I could stick with the yummy Kale salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/16/2013Very happy to have tried this place. Love it's low key but classy atmosphere. Lots of tasty pub twist items with many delcious vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service - beyond awful!LoriVIPDined on 11/2/2013Ridiculous incompetence from silly waiter. Ignored and then mocked. Convenient to movie theater - but will never return.Special Features:
- The food was great and servicetrishaDined on 8/23/2013The food was great and service was attentive and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.