1116 Broad Street
Durham, NC 27705Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.wattsgrocery.com/
- Phone: 9194165040x
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday, Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Tuesday- Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday and Sunday 5:30-9:30, Friday and Saturday 5:30-10
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern
- Executive Chef: Amy Tornquist
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our sister company, Sage and Swift Catering, if a full service catering company. Please call 919-957-7889 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Events: We host monthly wine dinners with the Hope Valley Bottle Shop. Please join our mailing list or friend us on facebook to keep up with these events.
A word from Watts Grocery
Our menu of classic favorites and Carolina tradition is best defined by what is grown locally and seasonally. Please call for reservations for parties of 5 or more for all services and only reservations of 5 or more accepted for Saturday and Sunday brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Watts Grocery - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Watts Grocery reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)neighborhood gem (83)special occasion (54)great for brunch (26)great for lunch (26)good for groups (23)romantic (21)hot spot (16)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Smooth and tasty experienceRedMikeDined on 10/16/2014Our first time at Watts Grocery for lunch. Wonderful food as usual and a waitress that let us dictate the flow of the meal. Good selection of sandwiches and salads. Enough choices for almost anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday celebrationMaryDined on 10/12/2014From start to finish our evening was very enjoyable. Local food prepared in original and tasty ways has always been the draw. Our son was home for the weekend, and we celebrated his birthday at Watts Grocery. Our evening was relaxing. The appetizers and entrees we ordered were just great. Service was very good, as always. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful againDisappointedVIPDined on 10/11/2014As usual Watts Grocery delivered. Brought guests from out of town and they loved every biteSpecial Features:
- Great food & service; little priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Seafood special (red drum) was excellent. Service couldn't have been better - knew both food & wine menu well - rec'd excellent guidance!Special Features:
- Great food amid cacophonyDemandingDined on 10/9/2014We had a terrific meal at Watts Grocery, but conversation was really difficult because of the din. It has to be the noisiest restaurant in Durham (and that's saying a lot). Some sound softening panels hung from the ceiling might work wonders. The eggplant custard was delicious, and the market fish (red drum wrapped in potato slices on a bed of kale) was perfectly prepared. The appetizer of fried okra was hot, crisp and so tempting that even those who'd chosen something less caloric couldn't resist them. Our server was pleasant and professional and unfailingly cheerful even as closing time approached.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh the vinegar!LikesLunchDined on 10/1/2014Two of us had salads, either as our "main" or an accompaniment. The extreme over-vinegaring of the salad dressing made us both have coughing fits. I think the restaurant should pay as much attention to salads and fresh vegetables as to its fried and Southern specialities.Special Features:
- DisappointmentfoodieforeverVIPDined on 9/27/2014I have been to Watts Grocery at least 10 times since it opened-the food is always excellent. However, on 9-27, our service was not at all up to par. Our server was significantly undertrained.She could not remember/recite the specials, could not answer simple questions about the entrees, and left our table several times to ask questions of the bartender & others while we waited for answers. We had to ask her to fill our water glasses numerous times. The straw that broke the camels back was this-my husband asked for a simple substitution of mushrooms for kale (that were clearly available as they were on my dish). The server went to ask the chef who basically said no..."not a part of her process".Other fine restaurants are happy to accommodateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as expectedEatNoutDined on 9/25/2014I've been to Watt's twice before and was extremely pleased. This visit was a bit disappointing. Wine we wished to order was not available -- although we got a good sub. Service was definitely off. Asked for salad with no bacon only to have it come out with bacon. Had to ask for bread three times before getting another serving to finish off appetizer. Waitperson seemed less concerned than he should have been with these glitches. Food was above average but the experience was disappointing overall. And we were entertaining a guest for whom this was a first visit. Wish it had been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrownDined on 9/23/2014After numerous awesome meals at Watts Grocery, we finally had an average meal. Hush puppies were undercooked. Fried okra appetizer was tough. Peanut slaw had an odd taste that was not good. One order was incorrect. Having said all that, we'll be back.Special Features:
- Always GoodgoodeatingVIPDined on 9/18/2014I have never had a bad food or service experience at Watts.Special Features:
- What's Up With Watts?rixxfavesDined on 9/14/2014To be honest with you, the name of the restaurant merely suggest going to your local grocery store - au contrare! It was a chic, elegant venue with a mouth-watering menu fit for any foodie. I had a great time and will return soon!Special Features:
- Pork shank is where it's atLocalDINKsDined on 9/13/2014Promised to come back sooner and I glad I did. The pork shank with grits and greens was perfect--meat fell off the bone and was moist and delicious, grits were creamy and cheesy, pickled peach relish was a perfect counterpoint. Evolution Syrah blend complemented the entree beautifully. Waiter appeared as needed, was friendly and helped cement our with selection. Skipped the soft dinner rolls--I prefer bread with a crust--but I think the bread changes. I seem to recall cornbread last week. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Great dinnerTheDocIsInDined on 9/12/2014Always great at Watts! Great beer selection, great dinners, fantastic ribeye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great southern foodAefriedmDined on 9/7/2014This was a great take on southern food. I had the fried fish and it was great!Special Features:
- Perfect fried flounderLocalDINKsDined on 9/6/2014Fried flounder was breaded (with cornmeal), cooked perfectly, and arrived piping hot. Grit cake was creamy and delicious. I love collards--and these were vinegary and fabulous--but their flavor obliterated every other flavor on the plate. The Albarino wine our waitress recommended was a nice complement and change of pace from the ubiquitous summertime Pino Grigio. I won't wait so long to visit again. My husband will want to try the scotch whisky flight and short ribs I spotted on the on-line menu.Special Features:
- QuietAmbienceChaserDined on 9/6/2014We had a lovely date at Watts Grocery on Saturday. I had requested a quieter place in the restaurant, and sure enough, we were beside a small wall which helped facilitate conversation. Most restaurants in Durham are as loud as a train station at rush hour. We are always grateful to be able to spend our few hours away from our kids in conversation, and Watts Grocery, besides having incredible and delicious food, was ideal for our date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice spot for a nice dinethedevildinesoutDined on 8/30/2014Watts Grocery is tucked a couple of blocks away from most of Durham's other dining options (and, curiously, it's not actually on Watts Street). It's worth the few extra minutes wandering off through residential streets and past billiard parlors to have a slightly more upscale dining experience, though. Not terribly expensive, either: the total for my entree, cocktail, and a dessert split with my date didn't even crack $40. The one downside is that, because it's somewhat popular, and because the dining space is rather closely arranged, it can be a little hard to hear your dining conversation over the din.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealBrachlVIPDined on 8/30/2014We went with two friends on a Saturday night. The food was excellent -- between the four of us we got 2 fabulous salads (one corn, one grilled romaine with blueberries), 2 orders of the market fish (which was tuna), 1 flounder, 1 steak, the black and white cake, and the peach sorbet. Everything was fabulous, although one should not get the market fish if one does not like chimichurri. Our server was terrific -knowledgeable and helpful. Our only complaint was that we sat at a table in the middle of the front room, and it was cold in that spot because of the vents. (Apparently, it is cold in many spots in the restaurant.) So bring a sweater or jacket when you go.Special Features:
- Great Food, service okCJ03Dined on 8/30/2014We have dined at Watts Grocery several times over the years and the food is always fantastic including our most recent visit. Our server was very friendly but we found that the service was a bit slow considering we were there before the Saturday night dinner rush so the restaurant was fairly empty. Our drinks came at separate times so by the time the last in our party received her drink, the first to receive her drink was nearly finished! We won't let this deter us from visiting Watts again but hopefully management will address these issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingcocciVIPDined on 8/29/2014The decor us casual dull, the food was not that original and on the heavy side.Special Features:
- great place to bring out of townersenjoyfinefoodDined on 8/28/2014Enjoy the fresh produce and menu. Everyone we bring enjoy the unique dishes.Special Features:
- durhamgalDined on 8/27/2014An innovator: fresh food cleverly paired. Especially good bar drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh... Good but not that goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014Went in for lunch, small restaurant, food is good but nothing exciting. I would classify as a decent spot to eat, dinner is much better in my opinion. Dessert was the best part of the meal, Ice cream sandwich! Friend enjoyed his food as well.
- Great North Carolina FoodDukeAlumnaDined on 8/22/2014Watts Grocery is a great relaxing place with wonderful local food choices. The staff is very friendly and the food has always been excellent and interesting. Even without a reservation, you can get lucky and find one of the open tables in the front of the restaurant that cannot be reserved. The restaurant is not open terribly late, but many other restaurants in Durham close fairly early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch!BosellaDined on 8/22/2014The steak sandwich was especially good. Paired perfectly with the sweet iced tea.Special Features:
- always a winnernytastebudsDined on 8/20/2014One of the benefits of having my daughter at Duke is eating at Watts Grocery - food is imaginative, fresh, and localSpecial Features:
- DisappointingLivingwellDined on 8/20/2014Remembered previous dining experiences to have very creative food . Unfortunately my dinner was very bland & uninspired, especially after a very long wait for it to appear. Dessert was another long wait, plus no cutlery to eat it with. Three attempts with three different waiters, before we finally got forks, but dessert was delicious. However, poor service, high price for a bland vegetarian dish, and high noise levels made me decide I will not be coming back again. Did Amy change her management & chef? With all the restaurants Durham has, I think diners can do better.Special Features:
- Yummy as usualTrishtheDishDined on 8/19/2014Another fantastic meal at Watts. Entrée was spectacular. Only down notes were very few patron peppers in the appetizer (and some not adequately cooked as they were all different sizes) and they were out of the only 2 desserts I was interested in. Otherwise, great food and great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great farm to table restaurantPhallVIPDined on 8/17/2014the tuna was wonderful as was the upside down peach cake we split for dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedMusicloverDined on 8/15/2014Whenever I send overnight in Durham, I try to make it to Watts. The menu is creative and executed with care. It is great to have an interesting meal that does not center around porkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great in all waysdinerDined on 8/15/2014this is one of our favorite go to places for a quiet twosome and a happy group place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014I've dined at Watts Grocery a number of times for brunch. This was the first time I ever dined for dinner. It was amazing and everything was delightful. Days later, I'm still raving about the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Watts always uses very fresh local foods. I especially love their house-made cocktails and all the flavor they pack into vegetable dishes of all sorts. The rest of my family is most crazy about the hush puppies, of course. And I have always received outstanding service at Watts, as well: knowledgeable, helpful and appropriately attentive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014Overall the food was very tasty. Some amount of spice but not too much. The steak was a little chewy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingDandQDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I got a chance to eat out together (without the kiddies) for the first time in a while, so we were very excited about our opportunity. Our server was really great -- attentive when we needed her, but very respectful of our conversations, etc. The food was only average, which was a bit disappointing considering all the great things we've heard about Watts. Our experience personally was great because we were not rushed out once done with our food and we got a chance to actually talk like adults. However, if you're looking for a fantastic "food" experience, this didn't cut it. The drinks were creative and tasty, though!I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS!!DiningDiva43Dined on 8/7/2014I took my best friend to Watts Grocery to celebrate her 40th Birthday..."BFF-Be Fabulous at Forty"! It was her first time there and my third. Watts Grocery did NOT disappoint. We were about 10 minutes late due to traffic, I called and informed the staff and they were kind and understanding. We were seated immediately upon our arrival and the wonderful experience began! From the service (Jessica, Jillian, Andrea...and the 46 year old man that looks like he's 20!)....to the cocktails (a Blackberry Mojito and a Peach Margarita)...to the AMAZING food (southern fried chicken....pecan crusted fish....and the BEST restaurant collards EVA!!!)...Watts Grocery is TOP NOTCH!!! We had a Fabulous time....and we will be back! #WattsGroceryRocksSpecial Features:
- DisappointedbarsevenDined on 8/5/2014I love Watt's Grocery and have eaten there many times. This was my first disappointment. The staff was friendly and efficient. But the restaurant seemed to be out of half the menu (wines included) that night and we were there for a relatively early reservation - 6 pm on a Tuesday. Nevertheless, I identified the market fish for my entrée. I was looking forward to the striped bass. This too however was a disappointment, the fish was pretty tasteless and dry. Certainly not fresh. Unfortunately, it will be a while before I go back again. There are so many good choices in town, it is hard to justify a risk.Special Features:
- A gem of placeDocARDined on 8/3/2014The best melt in your mouth ribeye I have every had. Amazing blue cheese spinach which my husband loved, and he doesn't usually even try spinach. Bartender made the wonderful drink called Nuts and Berries, great dessert, notable wine list and the best service to top it off. Waitress and food runner and everyone very friendly and helpful and knowledgable about the selections. Will go back often.Special Features:
- classy placefutsalfoodieDined on 7/30/2014Right next to Duke is a wonderful restaurant, with great service and great food! We tried it for lunch, and it was obvious that great care and thought went into each menu item. From the hush puppies to the short rib nachos to the fried green tomatoes -- everything was high quality, fresh and delicious! Hats off to Amy and her team!Special Features:
- It is a Great Time to Go to WattsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/26/2014Since Watts Grocery locally sources so much of their food and it is veggie season, now is the time to go. Great flavors, tomatoes, fish and not overly priced. Nice pour on the wine by the glass with quality options.Special Features: