1116 Broad Street
Durham, NC 27705Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.wattsgrocery.com/
- Phone: 9194165040x
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday, Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Tuesday- Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday and Sunday 5:30-9:30, Friday and Saturday 5:30-10
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern
- Executive Chef: Amy Tornquist
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our sister company, Sage and Swift Catering, if a full service catering company. Please call 919-957-7889 or email email@example.com
- Special Events: We host monthly wine dinners with the Hope Valley Bottle Shop. Please join our mailing list or friend us on facebook to keep up with these events.
A word from Watts Grocery
Our menu of classic favorites and Carolina tradition is best defined by what is grown locally and seasonally. Please call for reservations for parties of 5 or more for all services and only reservations of 5 or more accepted for Saturday and Sunday brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Watts Grocery - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Watts Grocery reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (113)neighborhood gem (94)special occasion (71)great for brunch (40)great for lunch (29)romantic (28)good for groups (24)hot spot (16)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- A nice spot for a nice dineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Watts Grocery is tucked a couple of blocks away from most of Durham's other dining options (and, curiously, it's not actually on Watts Street). It's worth the few extra minutes wandering off through residential streets and past billiard parlors to have a slightly more upscale dining experience, though. Not terribly expensive, either: the total for my entree, cocktail, and a dessert split with my date didn't even crack $40. The one downside is that, because it's somewhat popular, and because the dining space is rather closely arranged, it can be a little hard to hear your dining conversation over the din.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealBrachlVIPDined on 8/30/2014We went with two friends on a Saturday night. The food was excellent -- between the four of us we got 2 fabulous salads (one corn, one grilled romaine with blueberries), 2 orders of the market fish (which was tuna), 1 flounder, 1 steak, the black and white cake, and the peach sorbet. Everything was fabulous, although one should not get the market fish if one does not like chimichurri. Our server was terrific -knowledgeable and helpful. Our only complaint was that we sat at a table in the middle of the front room, and it was cold in that spot because of the vents. (Apparently, it is cold in many spots in the restaurant.) So bring a sweater or jacket when you go.Special Features:
- Great Food, service okCJ03Dined on 8/30/2014We have dined at Watts Grocery several times over the years and the food is always fantastic including our most recent visit. Our server was very friendly but we found that the service was a bit slow considering we were there before the Saturday night dinner rush so the restaurant was fairly empty. Our drinks came at separate times so by the time the last in our party received her drink, the first to receive her drink was nearly finished! We won't let this deter us from visiting Watts again but hopefully management will address these issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingcocciVIPDined on 8/29/2014The decor us casual dull, the food was not that original and on the heavy side.Special Features:
- great place to bring out of townersenjoyfinefoodDined on 8/28/2014Enjoy the fresh produce and menu. Everyone we bring enjoy the unique dishes.Special Features:
- durhamgalDined on 8/27/2014An innovator: fresh food cleverly paired. Especially good bar drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great North Carolina FoodDukeAlumnaDined on 8/22/2014Watts Grocery is a great relaxing place with wonderful local food choices. The staff is very friendly and the food has always been excellent and interesting. Even without a reservation, you can get lucky and find one of the open tables in the front of the restaurant that cannot be reserved. The restaurant is not open terribly late, but many other restaurants in Durham close fairly early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch!BosellaDined on 8/22/2014The steak sandwich was especially good. Paired perfectly with the sweet iced tea.Special Features:
- always a winnernytastebudsDined on 8/20/2014One of the benefits of having my daughter at Duke is eating at Watts Grocery - food is imaginative, fresh, and localSpecial Features:
- DisappointingLivingwellDined on 8/20/2014Remembered previous dining experiences to have very creative food . Unfortunately my dinner was very bland & uninspired, especially after a very long wait for it to appear. Dessert was another long wait, plus no cutlery to eat it with. Three attempts with three different waiters, before we finally got forks, but dessert was delicious. However, poor service, high price for a bland vegetarian dish, and high noise levels made me decide I will not be coming back again. Did Amy change her management & chef? With all the restaurants Durham has, I think diners can do better.Special Features:
- Yummy as usualTrishtheDishDined on 8/19/2014Another fantastic meal at Watts. Entrée was spectacular. Only down notes were very few patron peppers in the appetizer (and some not adequately cooked as they were all different sizes) and they were out of the only 2 desserts I was interested in. Otherwise, great food and great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great farm to table restaurantPhallVIPDined on 8/17/2014the tuna was wonderful as was the upside down peach cake we split for dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedMusicloverDined on 8/15/2014Whenever I send overnight in Durham, I try to make it to Watts. The menu is creative and executed with care. It is great to have an interesting meal that does not center around porkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great in all waysdinerDined on 8/15/2014this is one of our favorite go to places for a quiet twosome and a happy group place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014I've dined at Watts Grocery a number of times for brunch. This was the first time I ever dined for dinner. It was amazing and everything was delightful. Days later, I'm still raving about the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Watts always uses very fresh local foods. I especially love their house-made cocktails and all the flavor they pack into vegetable dishes of all sorts. The rest of my family is most crazy about the hush puppies, of course. And I have always received outstanding service at Watts, as well: knowledgeable, helpful and appropriately attentive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014Overall the food was very tasty. Some amount of spice but not too much. The steak was a little chewy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingDandQDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I got a chance to eat out together (without the kiddies) for the first time in a while, so we were very excited about our opportunity. Our server was really great -- attentive when we needed her, but very respectful of our conversations, etc. The food was only average, which was a bit disappointing considering all the great things we've heard about Watts. Our experience personally was great because we were not rushed out once done with our food and we got a chance to actually talk like adults. However, if you're looking for a fantastic "food" experience, this didn't cut it. The drinks were creative and tasty, though!I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS!!DiningDiva43Dined on 8/7/2014I took my best friend to Watts Grocery to celebrate her 40th Birthday..."BFF-Be Fabulous at Forty"! It was her first time there and my third. Watts Grocery did NOT disappoint. We were about 10 minutes late due to traffic, I called and informed the staff and they were kind and understanding. We were seated immediately upon our arrival and the wonderful experience began! From the service (Jessica, Jillian, Andrea...and the 46 year old man that looks like he's 20!)....to the cocktails (a Blackberry Mojito and a Peach Margarita)...to the AMAZING food (southern fried chicken....pecan crusted fish....and the BEST restaurant collards EVA!!!)...Watts Grocery is TOP NOTCH!!! We had a Fabulous time....and we will be back! #WattsGroceryRocksSpecial Features:
- DisappointedbarsevenDined on 8/5/2014I love Watt's Grocery and have eaten there many times. This was my first disappointment. The staff was friendly and efficient. But the restaurant seemed to be out of half the menu (wines included) that night and we were there for a relatively early reservation - 6 pm on a Tuesday. Nevertheless, I identified the market fish for my entrée. I was looking forward to the striped bass. This too however was a disappointment, the fish was pretty tasteless and dry. Certainly not fresh. Unfortunately, it will be a while before I go back again. There are so many good choices in town, it is hard to justify a risk.Special Features:
- A gem of placeDocARDined on 8/3/2014The best melt in your mouth ribeye I have every had. Amazing blue cheese spinach which my husband loved, and he doesn't usually even try spinach. Bartender made the wonderful drink called Nuts and Berries, great dessert, notable wine list and the best service to top it off. Waitress and food runner and everyone very friendly and helpful and knowledgable about the selections. Will go back often.Special Features:
- classy placefutsalfoodieDined on 7/30/2014Right next to Duke is a wonderful restaurant, with great service and great food! We tried it for lunch, and it was obvious that great care and thought went into each menu item. From the hush puppies to the short rib nachos to the fried green tomatoes -- everything was high quality, fresh and delicious! Hats off to Amy and her team!Special Features:
- It is a Great Time to Go to WattsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/26/2014Since Watts Grocery locally sources so much of their food and it is veggie season, now is the time to go. Great flavors, tomatoes, fish and not overly priced. Nice pour on the wine by the glass with quality options.Special Features:
- LeoDinesDined on 7/26/2014I dined here for the first time with two friends after an event nearby. Seating was comfortable and the service was excellent. Our only problem was that the noise was louder than comfortable due to the open ceiling design. It was a Saturday evening, and I might choose another night of the week for a return. Ofthe six courses we ordered, only one was a disappointment and the others were delicious. Despite its name, this is a friendly, sophisticated restaurant with excellent food, perfect for any happy occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible PappardelleaharrisVIPDined on 7/24/2014I had the pork loin which was very good, but then I took a bite of my daughter's Pappardelle and realized my very good was not as good as the incredible Pappardelle. My daughter normally eats half an entree, but this night she cleaned her plate.Special Features:
- JaneDined on 7/22/2014Outstanding, as always. Perfect place for lunch dinner with friends or clients.Special Features:
- great local ingredientsdiner21Dined on 7/19/2014The food was very good and the ingredients were very fresh. I would recommend it to a friend. The heirloom tomato salad was excellent. The Parpadelle was also very good. The portions were not large but we did not leave hungry.Special Features:
- cknyDined on 7/18/2014Have been a long-time fan of Watt's. Maybe it was an off-day this time. Overall, menu wasn't very interesting. Cocktails were very good. Salad appetizers were pretty good. Both entrees were surprisingly mediocre. Service was spotty, which is not common here. I am hoping it was just a bit of a summer lull off-day.
- Excellent dinner spotFoodiesDined on 7/18/2014I have been to Watts Grocery before, and never disappointed! Again, last night you exceeded our expectations with your service, friendly staff and food!Special Features:
- Dinner at WattsDinner42Dined on 7/15/2014What a fantastic dinner outing. From fried green tomatoes to pecan crusted flounder and greens with pork belly, the food was extraordinary. We made reservations on line at the last minute, and were rewarded with a wonderful taste treat. Plan to return often. Enjoyed a fine Cote du Rhone with dinner as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Creative plates and fantastic signature cocktails!Special Features:
- Disappointingdc2durhamVIPDined on 7/11/2014I guess a Friday lunch in July is not a good time to come to Watts Grocery. My cobb salad was full of good tasting things, including great shrimp, but the lettuce was limp. They were out of hush puppies and my friend was a vegetarian. Not too many choices. At our request for bread (since there were no hush puppies) they brought stale sourdough and charged $3 for it!
- great choicecelebrate2getherDined on 7/8/2014celebrated a birthday at Watt's. food was very good. loved the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 7/8/2014Food good but not spectacular Place needs to be remodeled. Old stuffy feel and decor. Wine list not impressive either. Service good; delicious steak and Mac and Cheese. Restaurant next door has better food and ambience plus no reservations required!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good (3 out of 4 meals)LisaDined on 7/5/2014We enjoyed dinner recently. Two ordered steak and one ordered flounder, and they were all very happy with their choices. We loved the appetizers of minestrone soup, watermelon salad and blueberry and bacon salad. The fourth entree, however, of pappardelle was drowning in sauce and the pasta was mushy. Not happy with that. Other than that, all was delicious and service was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu on linelocalgrazerDined on 7/1/2014Watt's grocery's menu is not current. There were several selections on their web page that were not being offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood FavoriteMattDined on 6/29/2014We have been coming to Watts Grocery for years. Although there are many great restaurants in Durham these days, we still like to dine at Watts Grocery, because it is one of our favorite restaurants. We chose WG for our wedding anniversary. The food is very good, and the presentation is always a delight. We will continue coming back for many years.Special Features:
- ChallengecarVIPDined on 6/28/2014Terrific, as always! Innovative and delicious food complimented with excellent service.Special Features:
- Watt's Grocery Seasonal specialtiesOutoftownerVIPDined on 6/25/2014Watts Grocery always have seasonal dishes from local products that aim to please. My friend visiting from Philadelphia was particularly impressed with the quality and preparation of the NC seafood. Service was friendly and professional! Go, enjoy!Special Features:
- Best collards ever!PhillyfoodieVIPDined on 6/24/2014Chilled honeydew, cucumber and basil soup - outstanding. Black bass and nut-crusted Mahi Mahi - outstanding. Most outstanding of all were the collard greens. After a 3 day foodie tour of Durham, my husband and I voted these the best, and most decadent, we'd had anywhere. Service, also outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.