507 12th Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37203Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.watermark-restaurant.com/
- Phone: (615) 254-2000
- Hours of Operation:
Bar opens at 5pm Monday-Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Paul Ent
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please visit our website, www.watermark-restaurant.com, for all upcoming events.
To book a private event e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Watermark Restaurant
Watermark Restaurant features a menu that is distinctive in the Nashville market by its culinary emphasis on exceptional Southern product, classically prepared, and warm, professional service. The regularly changing menu highlights the best of each distinct season in conjunction with the finest seafood, game and beef available in the world. The restaurant design and décor integrate the building’s historic renovation and stylistic construction, emphasized by the expansive, light filled windows and view of the city skyline. Featured in Southern Living, The New York Times, The Washington Post, Food and Wine and other notable publications, Watermark Restaurant has established itself as a leader in Nashville and the Southeast region.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
Watermark Restaurant - Best Restaurants in The Gulch ›
Watermark Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (61)fit for foodies (59)great for outdoor dining (55)romantic (52)notable wine list (37)scenic view (35)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (25)hot spot (20)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Birthday SupriseDisappointedDined on 11/15/2014This night was a birthday dinner for my wife. We had a 6 pm reservation. We arrived at early to find out they did not open till 5:30. The bar was closed also for a private party. They suggested a bar next door. So we went next door and waited till 5:55. When we returned we were taken to a table that had several people sitting very close together and I asked not to be seated in that area. We were moved to a 4 top table and was much improved. The service was good. The food was somewhat less. The chopped salad had way too much blue cheese, and the portions on the main course were small. My wife ordered a Brandy Alexander (which should be a creamy desert drink) It was mostly vodka and brandy no cream. Sent it back but got the same thing again. Did not drink. I ordered a banna foster and got a gelation dish. Any way the price for the special occasion was not worth the 1 hr trip to Nashville.
- Hasn't changed much over the past 5 years...DrMcBusterstickVIPDined on 11/14/2014As the title suggests, I'd last been to Watermark about 5 years ago. I was there with my family and my memories from that visit were of very dim lighting and comically small portions. But, with the fog of time descended, I decided to book Watermark for a table for two for an anniversary celebration as a backup restaurant incase the lady didn't come up with a better option. The atmosphere was nice, but as memory served very dimly lit. Our server was Excellent, the kind of attentive where stuff just appears on table seemingly just after you'd though about needing/wanting it. Great. On to the food though... Our ordering strategies differed: she went for traditional faire, (scallop app., filet, chocolate dessert) and I went with something more ornate and out there figuring this would be just the place to show my palette a good time. I started with frog legs. Our sever described them as cajun style. To me that means solid French fundamentals with a healthy kick of spice but instead the legs were bland. This dish heralded a whole dinner service of underseasoned food for me that night. Nothing seasoned properly, overly petit portions. I am not an inexperienced, sodium hungry diner. -- The cobia was delicate and perfectly butter-poached but underseasoned so that it's sides overwhelmed it and were enough to lose it on the plate. For dessert, I ordered the bananas foster. Our server said there was no tableside fire, but plenty in the kitchen. "OK" I though... spicy, rum-soaked and warm on this chilly night. Enough to wow me and forget all the bland. Nope: small custardy flan-like-thing with good banana flavor but no spice; some coagulated, stiff ribbon thing that was more of a texture than a taste; and a very tart fruity sauce. Did not impress. Underwhelmed, still hungry, and out $180 for the two of us. Though I was not drinking, they did offer nice 3oz. pairings with each dish that my date enjoyed. Her stuff was good, but we'd had better. Her chocolate dessert was great.Special Features:
- Unique Twists on FavsJLynneDined on 11/7/2014My husband and I went here for a date night and we were so impressed with the service. I have several food allergies and our waitress, Adrienne, was phenomenal and really took the time to ask the chef on what I could or could not eat and what could be modified to my dietary concerns. No rolling of the eyes or bland food here! We felt awful for her when she had a pot of hot water (for my tea) accidentally dumped on her arm by another waitress and had to be taken to the hospital. We would absolutely go back for the service alone because she was absolutely fantastic to us. The food had some great and unique twists to it. My husband sopped up the bacon broth to his grit cake appetizer and I was surprised he did not lick the plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerATL1024Dined on 10/31/2014The service was great, the food and drinks were great and the atmosphere was romantic. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- musiccitymunchiesDined on 10/31/2014Our meal at Watermark was great! We came here on a special occasion and did a fixed-price four course meal with cocktail pairings. Everything was delicious. Our waiter was attentive and enthusiastic about our dining experience. I love that many of the ingredients are locally sourced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have read the reviewsKaryDined on 10/25/2014Maybe I had very high expectations on this place that I ended up being a little disappointed. The place was very nice and our waiter was a nice Austrian man that was very helpful with the menu and drinks. I ordered the Carpaccio as a start and was very good but my main course was lacking flavor When we ordered desert we had a Porto that was not at the right temperature and was very hot so we had to return itSpecial Features:
- Upscale, ExcellentChicagoBobDined on 10/11/2014Thoroughly enjoyable. Food and service were great, awesome wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GSM AustraliaGSMAustraliaVIPDined on 10/9/2014The food was outstanding, and the service was outstanding. However the markup on the wine list was excessive--3 to 4 times retail. I would hesitate to return there since I like wine with dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Becoming an Event SpaceBizDinerVIPDined on 10/9/2014I love Watermark - always have. The food is fantastic. Unfortunately, the restaurant is becoming an event space for large group dinners. During my past 3 visits - each time the bar was "closed" so good dinner could be held. 2 weeks ago, I counted 4 corporate events going on simultaneously - which not only means "no bar" but is also means "slower service." I called this time to ensure the bar would be open - I was hosting out of town guests and wanted to meet them there early. I also asked how many corporate events were going on because I wanted to be able to hear the conversation. I was told both the bar would be open and there I would be seated where I could hear. Neither happened. It was just another night of corporate events.Special Features:
- FantasticTrvlandwine1Dined on 10/9/2014Flavors are amazing. Wine was so good ran to stores to find it. Loved the Moroccan salad and pumpkin. All of us got fish. So goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre for the MoneyFoodie2040Dined on 10/2/2014I bought a coupon offline which prompted me to make reservations. Upon entering, I immediately noticed the mature/senior crowd. My friend & I are both mid thirties-and we were the YOUNGEST in the entire restaurant. The noise level was so low, it reminded me of an library. I ordered Roasted Ashley Farms Chicken & Tillamook sharp cheddar potato gratin. My friend ordered the Stone Ground Grit Soufflé and George's Bank Pumpkin Swordfish. My meal was nothing extraordinary, the potato gratin was very peppery however tasteful.
- Great Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014Entertaining friends from Memphis and picked the best spot for fine dining. Valet parking was cordial, waitstaff were well-versed in meal preparation as well as wine selections. A very enjoyable evening. We weren't rush through dinner and had ample time for conversation.Special Features:
- Good, but...AdamBDined on 9/24/2014With all the new offerings in Nashville, Watermark is still a good option. The service was excellent, the view from the patio is worth a visit, but the food was just good. Prices were on the high end, and bit high verse others in the area.Special Features:
- Wedding AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Perfect atmosphere. Accommodated party of 6 with ease.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SamboSamboVIPDined on 9/18/2014I was disappointed that we were the only table inside. It was a beautiful evening but it was a quiet room and my guests from out of town thought it strange.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningTravelinUSDined on 9/15/2014Great place, super friendly service, nice views and very good food. Too cold inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance!2Blues5Dined on 9/13/2014My husband and I recently had dinner here to celebrate his birthday. The ambiance was really nice! The food was good but we've had better. My husband had the rib eye and I had the filet. Both were excellent cuts of meat but could have had more flavor. Perhaps making the rib eye a bone-in would help. The BBQ shrimp appetizer, however, was excellent! Our service was fantastic and we loved the atmosphere. Definitely a great spot for couples to celebrate a special occasion. It had great views of the gulch area and downtown and had it been warmer, we would have loved to have been seated out on the outdoor seating space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014We used to love this place, but have noticed the food has gone downhill over the past few years. The service this time around was notably lacking with our apps arriving before cocktails and running out of water during the meal. For the price point, I would expect more on the service side and a more diverse menu.Special Features:
- Watermark in the GulchECG3Dined on 9/5/2014Enjoyed a great group dinner in a Friday night. Service was energetic and very professional. We were in the middle of the room and it was loud. Plan to go back but will be sure to ask for a table to the side. Soufflé appitizer with wild mushrooms was our stand out dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!AliMacDined on 9/5/2014It was our first night eating out after recently moving to Nashville and Watermark was an excellent choice. The ambiance was great, but more impressive was the food. My steak was perfectly cooked and the sides it came with were equally as delicious. I'd recommend this place to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truffles saved itMarkDined on 8/29/2014Dinner was good, but we felt overpriced. We do dine out, regularly, and although it was a nice evening, we were neither overly impressed. The highlight of the evening was when waiter surprised us with these key lime truffles, for our anniversary, served with a great presentation. That, in itself, made a mediocre anniversary night out, memorable.Special Features:
- Not a good nightBeachbubbieDined on 8/28/2014Ordered the shrimp appetizer was not as advertised. The shrimp were half the size and were not Bar B Q they were simmered in sauce. Not good. Choose another appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014I have never been disappointed in dining at Watermark. My wife and I enjoy it for special days, and I have used it for larger group business dinners. It is a great place.Special Features:
- Great Location, Great MealPatrickVIPDined on 8/23/2014This was our first time at Watermark and I'm sure we'll be back. The meal that I had represented a nice balance between the familiar and innovative. I ordered a pork chop which was perfectly cooked--not too dry but, not rare. It was served with what looked like a large slice of polenta but, was in fact a well spiced cornbread and andouille "stuffing." The plate was garnished with a rendition of hopping john. It was delicious but, tended towards the familiar. It was a very good plate and I would order it again without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OklahomaDined on 8/22/2014A wonderful evening! Amazing food, attentive but not intrusive staff and lovely ambience.Special Features:
- LOVE WATERMARK! BRAVO!TOMMNASHVILLEDined on 8/22/2014Watermark is one of the BEST resturants in Nashville- Their menue has graet seasonal items- Service is perfect- waiters are very helpful and attentive -plus FUN to talk with about the food and area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not at all what we are used tocottonginDined on 8/21/2014This has been our special occasions place. This was a big disappointment. As we were enjoying our bread, we began to get wet. The air duct was dripping on our food and drinks. We brought this to the servers attention and she moved us to another place. They brought the same drinks and bread to new table. We had to asked for different drinks and bread. This was restaurant week so we thought this would be a showcase meal. Boy were we disappointed. The food was bland. As were were leaving the place, we found that the servers had seated another couple at the table where it was dripping water. Sad, sad, sad way to treat customers. They knowingly sat people where nasty water was dripping. We will be finding a new "special" place.Special Features:
- SouthernFoodieVIPDined on 8/21/2014I lived in Nashville for 8 years and this was my first visit. The food was good, loved the space and outdoor seating but the service is why I will go back and send others. My server was Cole and he independently raised the bar on the type of service you should receive at a white tablecloth restaurant. His recommendations, explanations and etiquette were top shelf. He should be training servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!shorne89Dined on 8/21/2014A friend and I went for the restaurant week menu and everything we got was delicious! I especially enjoyed the salmon with ratatouille! The ambience was very cool. The outdoor seating looked beautiful but it was just a little too hot for us to sit out there but I would totally consider eating there again! Well worth the $30 for the restaurant week menu!Special Features:
- Perfect outdoor settingBigRVIPDined on 8/16/2014The drinks, food, view, ambiance, and service were all extremely good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- angus1Dined on 8/15/2014excellent food and service. Outdoor dining was great.Special Features:
- Food is Spectacular!TashyaDined on 8/12/2014My husband and I wanted to celebrate our fifth anniversary by going out to a nicer restaurant than we usually would. We had been to the Watermark once before and greatly enjoyed the experience so were looking forward to another. My husband called ahead and inquired if they offered a chef's tasting menu. They did, so we requested that for the following evening. The layout is beautifully and simply set, with an option to sit outside if preferred. The chef's menu consisted of five courses + a soup. Course after course arrived with the next one being more delectable and appealing than the last. We were blown away by the flavors! The service was excellent and I would highly recommend a wonderful evening there!Special Features:
- Great flavors but dry pork chopOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014My wife and I went to watermark for our anniversary and had a very good night. The service was great and the ambiance was very nice. I ordered the filet and it was fantastic. My wife ordered the pork chop and said the flavors were very good but it was quite dry. She went through a lot of water with dinner because the pork was so dry. She was very impressed with the flavors and would like to go back some time and try something else but with the price point it will not be any time soon. It is expensive, but you get what you pay for. Great service, good flavors (even if overcooked) and a nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- ServiceDined on 8/9/2014Overall the food was good and prepare correctly. However the service lacks the scale of the restaurant and would recommend a more attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodSBDtennisDined on 8/9/2014Made a reservation based on the menu and roof top dining. It poured right before our arrival and we were not able to sit on the roof but the hostess was great about giving us options and we ended up at a lovely table against the wall. We could talk easily and did not hear other conversations but it wasn't too quiet either. Our waitress (Adrian) was fantastic!! She recommended the Walu and it was amazing! My two friends had the scallops and we shared the oh so delicious grit souffle appetizer (also recommended.) One more thing I must compliment the waitstaff on, they waited until our entire party was finished before clearing plates!! I was thankful for this courtesy, it rarely happens these days. A wondering fine dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!CaroVIPDined on 8/8/2014We came to Nashville for my husbands birthdate weekend. I would highly recommend this place. The host, service staff and food was excellent. I loved the filet mignon was great with the bernaise sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerADHCDined on 8/8/2014First timers. Great vibe, views, wait staff, and most importantly great food.Special Features:
- Almost perfectLivinghalf2Dined on 8/5/2014A midweek occasion first time dinner really could not have been better. Ate inside. The heirloom tomato salad and the grits appetizer were especially memorable. The grilled peach salad and barbecue shrimp were properly executed and tasty. The venison was served exactly as ordered. Everything was beautifully presented. The pork chop was beautifully presented and accompanied but was bordering dry. Desserts were perfectly sized and delicious, creme brûlée and a flourless chocolate creation. In total, extremely pleased with the experience and highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Outdoor MealMtmcqueenDined on 8/1/2014The food was excellent, the waiter very personable and professional and the outdoor dining was exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a special dinnerAshDDined on 8/1/2014I would give Watermark a 4.5 rating if it were possible. The experience was really nice, but the food could have been a tad better considering the price. Overall, I would recommend this place. Since it is a bit older than some of the more trendy restaurants in town, Watermark often gets overlooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.