1417 Thames Street
Baltimore, MD 21231Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterfrontkitchen.com/
- Phone: (443) 681-5310
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Unspecified, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer both in-house and off-premises catering.
A word from Waterfront Kitchen
A seed-to-table restaurant that sources ingredients as locally and seasonally as possible, Waterfront Kitchen offers sweeping views of the Baltimore harbor from the western-most tip of Thames Street in historic Fells Point. During the growing season, we partner with Living Classroom’s BUGS (Baltimore Urban Gardening with Students) program to grow our own fresh produce and teach inner-city grade school kids about the joys of good nutrition and gardening. Year-round, we celebrate the beauty of nature’s bounty on the plate, and offer wines from makers that share our commitment to feeding body and soul. Mission-driven dining never tasted so good.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Waterfront Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Fells Point ›
Waterfront Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (69)great for outdoor dining (67)fit for foodies (41)special occasion (32)neighborhood gem (25)romantic (23)great for lunch (20)good for groups (18)notable wine list (17)great for brunch (14)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Wine is over priced !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014$32 for a bottle of Rex Goliath Pinot Grigio. Enough said. The food was OK,but nothing special. When I'm paying $26 for a pasta dish that has no protein, I want to be wowed.Special Features:
- DisappontedSailingDined on 11/8/2014We were extremely disappointed in waterfront. We arrived and ordered our food. An hour after we ordered, after our salads still hasn't arrived my husband and friend were told their entree was sold out. Then finally we got our salads, which were good. Then our entree arrived. My friend liked his duck. My scallops were good, but everything else on the plate was so salty I couldn't eat it. My husband had two bites of his steak and said it was horrible. Our waiter made no attempt to apologize for any of it. We will not be back.Special Features:
- Awful, Awful ServicePhillyFoodieVIPDined on 11/8/2014The reviews are true and clearly Waterfront Kitchen continues to ignore the feedback. It's a shame because the views are beautiful and the food is pretty good. However, the horrible service trumps the entire experience. The restaurant only had 4 other tables (at most) when my family and I went and we sat there for an hour without so much as a piece of bread. We had to flag the waiter down anytime we needed anything at all. The bus boy mixed up tables' food orders EVERYTIME we watched him come from the kitchen longingly hoping our food had finally arrived. Save yourself the aggravation and never come here.
- Sloooow ServicetsquaredDined on 11/6/2014I dined here with a group of colleagues from my office, and although the food was good, the service was very, very slow. During a business lunch there usually is not much time to spare, so the fact that it took 45 minutes for our food to hit the table was not acceptable to me. We were only one of three-four tables there at the time. I book this restaurant often for my supervisor, as it is conveniently located next door (with the intention of course for a quick lunch in a nice setting). Unfortunately, I've heard the same complaint. I'm not quite sure why it would take so long, but I do hope that this is addressed.Special Features:
- Great time!slimshandyDined on 11/1/2014Had a great time at Waterfront for my fiance's birthday. Can't wait to go back and try more of their delicious seasonal eats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expecting moreDisappointedVIPDined on 11/1/2014The wait staff was excellent. Three of the four of us had good dinners. They had the lamb shank and it was tender and flavorful The tile fish lacked in flavor and appearance. Though the vegetables served with it were good. The cobbler dessert must have sat around and was extremely soggy. I presume to go here on a beautiful evening and be able to sit outside would be worth it.Special Features:
- Lunch at Waterfront KitchendiningoutDined on 10/28/2014I had made a lunch reservation and we arrived right on time, but the restaurant was far from crowded. Since it was a beautiful day, we had the pleasure of being seated outside on the water. Unfortunately the wait staff took a very long time coming, was slow to deliver our drinks and take our order, and the order itself took forever to arrive. The food is really so so, something I have deduced in all my dining experiences there which include Sunday brunch and dinner. The only reason I return is for the fabulous location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful view, horrible serviceCarolVIPDined on 10/28/2014Sat outside on a beautiful day which took some of the sting out of the horrid service. We were there for lunch and on somewhat of a schedule. Restaurant was not that busy. Servers did not seem to care. Had to ask repeatedly to have a drink refilled. Had to check why food was taking so long. Food was good but not so good as to make up for the lack of service.Special Features:
- Waterfront KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Tucked away in the building that houses the Living Classroom and the Douglass Isaac Meyers Maritime Museum is a restaurant which has become one of my favorites in Fells Point, the Waterfront Kitchen. Upon recommendation from a friend I dined there on a Saturday night and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The ambience is refined but not pretentious. The water view is beautiful, even at night. The service is accommodating, attentive and friendly without being intrusive. But the star of the evening was the food. The pan seared foie gras was remarkable and the braised lamb shank was so tender it fell right off the bone. The fried quail (who knew?) was a delight. I would definitely recommend a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A local experienceWitchdoctorDined on 10/19/2014Really enjoyed the comfortable but classy feel of the place, and the fact that they have a partnership with local urban farming. The wait staff were well informed, made good suggestions, and paid us just enough attention without being intrusive. Quite a find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014We went there for Brunch on Sunday and it took the restaurant approx.15-20 minutes before anyone came over and asked us for coffee or tea. The food was ok, nothing great and the service was poor. We will not go there again for brunch or anything...
- AWFUL! !!!susiecmoreVIPDined on 10/17/2014The supposedly prime cuts of ribeye were fatty and hard to chew. The waiter actually looked at me when he thought I was finished and said "you done"? I still had half the "ribeye" on my plate...but really? You done? Thats how you've been trained to approach it? They were out of the moderately priced wine we tried to order and only had Cabernets starting at $159 under the Cabernet Sauvignon section on the wine menu.(no really). This restaurant has the absolute most beautiful outside deck overlooking the water and the absolute worst food and service with very expensive prices. Save your money don't go.
- Horrible serviceLov2eatDined on 10/16/2014We were so excited to go out for dinner in Baltimore but this place was a total let down. We just moved here from Ohio and are just learning all the places to go. We made reservations based on the menu but the service was so terrible it made it a horrible experience. We waited so long for the server that we got bread before we even got to place a drink order. Then we waited another 10 minutes to give our drink order. There were no apologies for the wait. Then we ordered our appetizer and dinner together since we had already waited so long. While we waited for our appetizer 2 tables came into the restaurant both tables had food before we did. I feel we were judged when we walked into the door and received poor service because of it.
- Must Try If You Haven't Yet!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2014We were a bit concerned over some Yelp reviews we read about slow service, but I can tell you there was no cause for worry. We had a phenomenal meal from start to finish, and the service was top notch. This is not a restaurant that rushes you through your meal, so if you're looking for a "quick" dinner this probably isn't the place. I'm not sure why you'd want to be in a hurry; we so enjoyed every minute of it, from the bread to the salad and appetizers (try the Baby Kale Caesar!) to the mouth-watering entrees. We felt well-attended to the whole meal. The food was amazing and the waterfront view is equally impressive. We'll be returning and we'd highly recommend it to anyone else considering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small little ResturantGreateatsDined on 10/7/2014My wife and I were looking for a new Resturant to visit for our wedding anniversary and we came across Waterfront Kitchen. We looked at the menu and said it looked pretty good and so we gave it a try. We went there on a Tuesday evening so we were expecting it to be fairly quiet, but when we walked in there were 3-4 large parties and the noise level was moderate. We eyeballed a seat next to the window so that we could take in the breath taking views of he Harbor while we dinned. Overall food and atmosphere were great. We also enjoyed a couple cocktails before wrapping it up. We decided to skip dessert and head home since my wife baked a cheesecake early in the day. The server was very knowledgeable on the menu and was also very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left satisfiedmikeycVIPDined on 10/3/2014Came here on a whim since it was close to the water taxi. Also heard something briefly from a friend that this place is good. It definitely exceeded our expectations. At the recommendation of the server, we had the duck, beef tenderloin, and chicken. All were fantastic. Service was great. Place isn't too big, nicely decorated, right on the water so great view. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific venue for many purposesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/3/2014I brought a childhood friend of my son's, now in professional school, to WK to talk about old family friends and his young career. WK was perfect for this. It was quiet enough to have a serious conversation, yet vibrant with the energy suitable to our topic. In the background, the sun sets over the inner harbor, water taxis cruising past iconic Baltimore sites and a schooner's mast bobs in the evening autumn waters. The food is always great here and served up in novel ways. Tonight, I had the most unique and best oyster stew of my life - really! Kate provided great service as she always does. Earlier in the week, I hosted 30 colleagues here and they raved about the place. Not many venues can serve both purposes so well.Special Features:
- We love this restaurantYumyumDined on 10/3/2014The food is always good! But the service has been a little hit or miss lately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on the waterastromanVIPDined on 10/1/2014Sitting on the deck, whether day or night, is the best you can do outside in Bmore. The food has always been good. Less adventurous eaters should try the meatloaf.Special Features:
- Perfect Farm to Tablenina221Dined on 9/28/2014Had brunch here due to a local concierge's recommendation. The restaurant was busy but not too crowded to get a great outdoor seat. We had bartender recommended freshly mixed wine spritzer drinks that were amazingly refreshing with an appetizer and 2 entree salads. Service was a bit spotty, but the scenery more than made up for it and the food was delicious - everything was fresh, tasty, and spot on. It's on the expensive side, so expect to pay for the quality food & location. If you are in the neighborhood and looking for an off the beat and path rec, this is your place!Special Features:
- Great view and decor, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/28/2014If the kitchen kicks up the quality of the food significantly, this would be a place that I would go back to a lot. Great looking restaurant and wonderful location but food needs help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service too slowKimmcdVIPDined on 9/18/2014Took 20 minutes to order a drink, another 20 minutes to get our appetizer, and another hour to get our entree. Decided not to stay for dessert. We won't be back.
- Watching the Activity in the HarborokcarolDined on 9/16/2014You cannot beat the view and comfort of sitting outside while sipping a terrific glass of wine. Watching all the Harbor activity is relaxing and fun. The food is good but not spectacular. I would say I go there for the special location and an acceptable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointing.InkedfoodieDined on 9/14/2014Our waitress couldn't have cared less the whole time. Our drinks took 15 minutes and our food took almost an hour, even though the restaurant was almost completely empty. We complained at every step, and didn't even get an apology. Not once. Just an apathetic, barely there excuse. When we left, the host just goes "BYE" in a rude tone. I will NEVER go here again, nor would I ever recommend it to anyone. Horrible experience, mediocre food, horribly untrained and apathetic staff.
- GREAT FOOD/AWFUL SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/14/2014My wife and I have always enjoyed out meals at the Waterfront Kitchen. Unfortunately, we have NEVER enjoyed anywhere near the same level of service. Management and staff would be better served working shifts at Mc D's. As a 20% tipper, this is the first time in 20 years I walked without leaving a tip. The waitress could not get our drinks, forgot 1/2 our order. When the food came out, it was wrong and cold. The manager was no help. Plenty of quality places where you can have a great dinning experience in Baltimore. The food and the ambiance are tops. The service is not. I have given them 4 chances. I give up...Special Features:
- Worst dining experience of my lifeRealcheckVIPDined on 9/13/2014Service was very slow and unorganized. We received the wrong drinks and water was never refilled the meals took an hour and a half to reach the table after ordering. We we also charged for items that we did not order. Overall everything was bad.
- CharmedinBaltimoreDined on 9/12/2014Waterfront Kitchen was great as always althought this time they were out of our favorite wine. They made two alternate suggestions and when the first was not what we expected, they replaced it with the second at no charge! Specials are always something to look forward to! Open Table, however, didn't get it right. We wanted to eat at 7:30 and they indicated only 6:30 and 9:00 were available. When we arrived at 6:45 the restaurant was nearly empty except for diners outside and remained so until we left at 9:30. I believed Open Table because Waterfront is usually packed on the weekends. Next time I will call directly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One and doneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014It was good food and a different atmosphere. Great to say we did it once but we won't be going back. Limited menu and slow service. A very "green" experience that we weren't expecting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014food was fabulous, just not enough - small portions of scallops as a entree. The wait staff was very friendly and nice, just slow - maybe lacked experience?. Same with the bartender - good guy, but a little slow and could have used a little help. I would definitely go back - hope they work out the kinks.Special Features:
- Consistent, interesting and tastyBmoreHungryDined on 9/7/2014This was my second trip in a few months since the change in chefs. I'm please that the food choices have remained interesting and the quality is consistent. There have been no duds on the menu and a few surprises (honey lavender ice cream) that make it a great spot. Pricing is very reasonable and you can sit outdoors for a nice view of the inner harbor, the working sugar factory across the water, and the neighboring old pier turned into wildlife habitat provides some nice bird watching. Bring sunscreen or use one of their umbrellas if you go at peak sun hours!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible servicelove2eatDined on 8/30/2014First.. I'll tell you, that I was excited to try this place out based on the reviews. My wife and I have a new born and this is our first night out. Parking was easy.. Walk in... The hostess (with short blond hair) seemed to be in a terrible mood. You could see it on her face. Not smiling. No eye contact. Just seemed angry. We waited a good 20 minutes to be seated. Just stating there with other people. The hostess just disappeared. We could see her talking to a waiter near a register. But just left us standing there. She sat is inside, we wanted to eat outside but didn't want to wait. Our view was a waiters stand. The restaurant was empty on the inside. We ended up being there for 2 hrs. Seemed like they forgot about us.
- FredDined on 8/29/2014Unfortunately, the food was mediocre, at best, and the service was terrible. We've given this restaurant numerous tries, only to be let down repeatedly.
- Birthday loveMissTDined on 8/29/2014A wonderful evening for a mature birthday party of 4 who were free to still free special. Thank you for the best birthday I've had in a number of years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!YumyumDined on 8/28/2014We had a wonderful meal. The food is fantastic. Our server Danny was very good, and all of the staff was incredibly nice. They accomodated our 9 month old and we enjoyed such a lovely meal outside on the patio. This is the best waterfront restaurant in Baltimore. Try the brussel sprouts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!!WallyDined on 8/27/2014Beautiful setting overlooking the inner harbor. We took our son the night be for he starts college. We had a lovely evening. Good food and service. We will definately go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful view poor servicePamelaDined on 8/26/2014The view from my table on Tuesday evening was fantastic-the service and some aspects of waterfront kitchen were not. When we ordered our drinks we were told there were only two beers on the menu. I have never heard of the restaurant having only two types of beer available! The ham and cheese board looked as though someone had cut off a big chunk of their Easter ham. It was paired with some very average cheese and a nice mustard. No knife was provided so we had to use our table knives. Our server seemed miffed when we mentioned the lack of a knife and made much of providing a sharp knife for every course- even the desert. Our entrees were presented well and were delicious, but the overall experience was marred by continual poor serviceSpecial Features:
- Underwhelmingstork31Dined on 8/24/2014Went there for a special birthday dinner. It was a perfect night in August, not too hot, not too cold. We sat outside and the view of the harbor is fantastic. The food, however, was a little disappointing. As I understand it, the menu rotates seasonally based on availability of locally sourced ingredients. Maybe it was just a bad run, but the chicken pot pie and the meatloaf both lacked flavor, especially the pot pie. We also tried the cheese plate, but did not care for the actual cheeses (which may be more a product of us not liking the particular cheese selection that night). It really is a neat place to have a meal, and maybe their other dishes are fantastic, but we were not overly impressed with what we had.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/13/2014Great view and service but the limited restaurant week menu was a disappointmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good viewFoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014We ate here for brunch recently. We were seated promptly. Service was standard. The food was about a estate. There's lots of space inside the restaurant with good ambient temperature. There's also outside seating with a view of the harbor. It's a middle of the pack restaurant. It's good for groups. If someone asked about it I'd recommend but I wouldn't go out of my way to give unsolicited recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/8/2014The service was incredibly slow and unorganized. We dined with two other couples and when every single course, including drinks, was delivered one person's order was missing. It was generally delivered to the table about 5 minutes later. And then they had the audacity to add a 20% tip to the bill before presenting it to is. Perhaps they knew there was no way that a 20% tip would have been added.Special Features: