1417 Thames Street
Baltimore, MD 21231Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterfrontkitchen.com/
- Phone: 4436815310x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Unspecified, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer both in-house and off-premises catering.
A word from Waterfront Kitchen
A seed-to-table restaurant that sources ingredients as locally and seasonally as possible, Waterfront Kitchen offers sweeping views of the Baltimore harbor from the western-most tip of Thames Street in historic Fells Point. During the growing season, we partner with Living Classroom’s BUGS (Baltimore Urban Gardening with Students) program to grow our own fresh produce and teach inner-city grade school kids about the joys of good nutrition and gardening. Year-round, we celebrate the beauty of nature’s bounty on the plate, and offer wines from makers that share our commitment to feeding body and soul. Mission-driven dining never tasted so good.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Waterfront Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Fells Point ›
Waterfront Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
160 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (127)great for outdoor dining (121)fit for foodies (61)special occasion (53)romantic (47)great for lunch (36)notable wine list (35)neighborhood gem (34)great for brunch (31)good for groups (19)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Service too slowKimmcdVIPDined on 9/18/2014Took 20 minutes to order a drink, another 20 minutes to get our appetizer, and another hour to get our entree. Decided not to stay for dessert. We won't be back.
- Watching the Activity in the HarborOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/16/2014You cannot beat the view and comfort of sitting outside while sipping a terrific glass of wine. Watching all the Harbor activity is relaxing and fun. The food is good but not spectacular. I would say I go there for the special location and an acceptable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointing.InkedfoodieDined on 9/14/2014Our waitress couldn't have cared less the whole time. Our drinks took 15 minutes and our food took almost an hour, even though the restaurant was almost completely empty. We complained at every step, and didn't even get an apology. Not once. Just an apathetic, barely there excuse. When we left, the host just goes "BYE" in a rude tone. I will NEVER go here again, nor would I ever recommend it to anyone. Horrible experience, mediocre food, horribly untrained and apathetic staff.
- GREAT FOOD/AWFUL SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/14/2014My wife and I have always enjoyed out meals at the Waterfront Kitchen. Unfortunately, we have NEVER enjoyed anywhere near the same level of service. Management and staff would be better served working shifts at Mc D's. As a 20% tipper, this is the first time in 20 years I walked without leaving a tip. The waitress could not get our drinks, forgot 1/2 our order. When the food came out, it was wrong and cold. The manager was no help. Plenty of quality places where you can have a great dinning experience in Baltimore. The food and the ambiance are tops. The service is not. I have given them 4 chances. I give up...Special Features:
- CharmedinBaltimoreDined on 9/12/2014Waterfront Kitchen was great as always althought this time they were out of our favorite wine. They made two alternate suggestions and when the first was not what we expected, they replaced it with the second at no charge! Specials are always something to look forward to! Open Table, however, didn't get it right. We wanted to eat at 7:30 and they indicated only 6:30 and 9:00 were available. When we arrived at 6:45 the restaurant was nearly empty except for diners outside and remained so until we left at 9:30. I believed Open Table because Waterfront is usually packed on the weekends. Next time I will call directly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One and doneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014It was good food and a different atmosphere. Great to say we did it once but we won't be going back. Limited menu and slow service. A very "green" experience that we weren't expecting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014food was fabulous, just not enough - small portions of scallops as a entree. The wait staff was very friendly and nice, just slow - maybe lacked experience?. Same with the bartender - good guy, but a little slow and could have used a little help. I would definitely go back - hope they work out the kinks.Special Features:
- Consistent, interesting and tastyBmoreHungryDined on 9/7/2014This was my second trip in a few months since the change in chefs. I'm please that the food choices have remained interesting and the quality is consistent. There have been no duds on the menu and a few surprises (honey lavender ice cream) that make it a great spot. Pricing is very reasonable and you can sit outdoors for a nice view of the inner harbor, the working sugar factory across the water, and the neighboring old pier turned into wildlife habitat provides some nice bird watching. Bring sunscreen or use one of their umbrellas if you go at peak sun hours!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible servicelove2eatDined on 8/30/2014First.. I'll tell you, that I was excited to try this place out based on the reviews. My wife and I have a new born and this is our first night out. Parking was easy.. Walk in... The hostess (with short blond hair) seemed to be in a terrible mood. You could see it on her face. Not smiling. No eye contact. Just seemed angry. We waited a good 20 minutes to be seated. Just stating there with other people. The hostess just disappeared. We could see her talking to a waiter near a register. But just left us standing there. She sat is inside, we wanted to eat outside but didn't want to wait. Our view was a waiters stand. The restaurant was empty on the inside. We ended up being there for 2 hrs. Seemed like they forgot about us.
- FredDined on 8/29/2014Unfortunately, the food was mediocre, at best, and the service was terrible. We've given this restaurant numerous tries, only to be let down repeatedly.
- Birthday loveMissTDined on 8/29/2014A wonderful evening for a mature birthday party of 4 who were free to still free special. Thank you for the best birthday I've had in a number of years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!YumyumDined on 8/28/2014We had a wonderful meal. The food is fantastic. Our server Danny was very good, and all of the staff was incredibly nice. They accomodated our 9 month old and we enjoyed such a lovely meal outside on the patio. This is the best waterfront restaurant in Baltimore. Try the brussel sprouts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!!WallyDined on 8/27/2014Beautiful setting overlooking the inner harbor. We took our son the night be for he starts college. We had a lovely evening. Good food and service. We will definately go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful view poor servicePamelaDined on 8/26/2014The view from my table on Tuesday evening was fantastic-the service and some aspects of waterfront kitchen were not. When we ordered our drinks we were told there were only two beers on the menu. I have never heard of the restaurant having only two types of beer available! The ham and cheese board looked as though someone had cut off a big chunk of their Easter ham. It was paired with some very average cheese and a nice mustard. No knife was provided so we had to use our table knives. Our server seemed miffed when we mentioned the lack of a knife and made much of providing a sharp knife for every course- even the desert. Our entrees were presented well and were delicious, but the overall experience was marred by continual poor serviceSpecial Features:
- Underwhelmingstork31Dined on 8/24/2014Went there for a special birthday dinner. It was a perfect night in August, not too hot, not too cold. We sat outside and the view of the harbor is fantastic. The food, however, was a little disappointing. As I understand it, the menu rotates seasonally based on availability of locally sourced ingredients. Maybe it was just a bad run, but the chicken pot pie and the meatloaf both lacked flavor, especially the pot pie. We also tried the cheese plate, but did not care for the actual cheeses (which may be more a product of us not liking the particular cheese selection that night). It really is a neat place to have a meal, and maybe their other dishes are fantastic, but we were not overly impressed with what we had.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/13/2014Great view and service but the limited restaurant week menu was a disappointmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good viewFoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014We ate here for brunch recently. We were seated promptly. Service was standard. The food was about a estate. There's lots of space inside the restaurant with good ambient temperature. There's also outside seating with a view of the harbor. It's a middle of the pack restaurant. It's good for groups. If someone asked about it I'd recommend but I wouldn't go out of my way to give unsolicited recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014The service was incredibly slow and unorganized. We dined with two other couples and when every single course, including drinks, was delivered one person's order was missing. It was generally delivered to the table about 5 minutes later. And then they had the audacity to add a 20% tip to the bill before presenting it to is. Perhaps they knew there was no way that a 20% tip would have been added.Special Features:
- Great view and foodJonesesDined on 8/7/2014We went for restaurant week and the choices were fabulous. We are definitely coming back to check out their regular menu and to see what brunch is like. The outdoor seating was amazing!Special Features:
- Great view...that's it :(jonathansagnerVIPDined on 8/5/2014Here are the excuses we heard: it's restaurant week, and it's a new computer system. Here is the results: After being seated it was 20+ minutes before our waiter was available to take our order, 40+ minutes before receiving our cocktails, out of two main courses one was literally inedible (John Ward, our very courteous but nothing else waiter said "sorry, I failed! I should have checked more carefully). We went for a pre-show dinner before the John Legend concert. It took so long to get the little we did we had to skip dessert to make the show on time. I would have thought 120 minutes was sufficient. In the end, other than the waiters comment, no manager apologies and no accommodations on the check for the comedy of errors. Not Corks!Special Features:
- Disappointing.CouldWriteMoreDined on 7/29/2014First they didn't have deviled eggs as shown on the menu. Then the chef refused to serve duck that is cooked completely through. Finally, no ice cream (as prominently featured on their website) because the freezer wasn't working. So I ended up with the "special" mac and cheese with mushrooms dish. It was not to my liking at all. Dry and, well, not very good. All and all, we had excellent service, outdoor dining was nice, but the food was hugely disappointing. Perhaps you'll order more wisely and have a better experience.Special Features:
- Perfect - and very BaltimoreJTD443VIPDined on 7/27/2014We had brunch outside under an umbrella and had a great view of harbor activity and a slight breeze. Service was attentive but not cloying. The food was delicious and fresh. Staff was knoweldgable. Fellow diners were nice. We were full and happy when we leftSpecial Features:
- Off-night at the WaterfrontPickyEaterDined on 7/26/2014We are big fans of WK. However, last Saturday night was an off night for the restaurant. The kitchen was VERY slow, our entrée taking well over an hour with little help from our very peasant waiter. My husbands strip steak, ordered medium rare came our medium well. The the credit of this usually reliable eatery, the steak was comped. We will return without hesitation.Special Features:
- Foodie prices without the qualityGoingBackDined on 7/24/2014The view of the harbor is amazing and it was a great atmosphere for celebrating our anniversary. However the best part of the meal was the appetizer (mac and cheese) and the entrees did not leave a lasting impression. With the prices you would expect great flavors and memories of what you ate. Sadly I have a feeling I could recreate the meal at home, and with that cost I want more.Special Features:
- First time there!! Not the lastRuthVIPDined on 7/19/2014First time there!! Not the last - - Loved the Cold Beer, Chicken dish and the Pollack Fish!!! Amazingly plated ... . wonderful flavor!!!! Fantastic servers.. very attentive!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish we could begin againGoldenRoseDined on 7/19/2014We had read such good reviews, had spoken with staff in advance of the evening ( who were extremely peasant and Understood that we were bringing guests her were docked in harbor east- as part of a ten day yacht trip from Va and that we really wanted to show great Baltimore cuisine with great Baltimore hospitality! ) If only the dinner had lived up to the view - an untrained waiter who greeted us with a laundry list of what they Didn't have the limited menu and it was only 7 p.m- told us of substitutions for example of pollock for sea bass(not quite a comparable selection and a cheese &fruit plate that was an embarrassment! Great table. Great drinks and if they ever train the try hard waitstaff better I would Not the norm I hopeSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014The menu read well (including craft cocktails); however all were disappointing. Fish was not hot and parts seemed 'dried' for sitting out for a bit before serving. Pasta dish tasted good but was a fairly average concoction given the price. Cocktail didn't have the flavors described in the drink....pretty much plain rum and simple syrup. Service was great/attentive and setting was lovely.Special Features:
- Great food and location!MikeHikeEatVIPDined on 7/18/2014Awesome location with large deck for dining right along the waterfront. Inventive Cocktail menu and solid but not huge wine list. The menu is unique and creative; everything we had was delicious: Beet cured Salmon, Chesse Plate, Roasted Chesapeake Bay Pollock, and Pan Seared Chesapeake Black Bass. Service was outstanding! In addition, if you review their website you will see that they are well integrated with their neighborhood and the Baltimore community. This was my best restaurant experience of the past year!Special Features:
- Great view - that's about it :(RoxieGirlVIPDined on 7/16/2014My mom was so excited to bring me to this restaurant on Wednesday evening to enjoy the great view and weather. Unfortunately the view was not worth the extremely long wait for dinner (easily over an hour), rude/unapologetic/lackadaisical staff, and less than average food (pork tenderloin barely edible - another lady sent it back). I was so excited when I saw the decor and unique menu but the overall experience was ruined by the poor staffing. It would have been appreciated if the server at least said "sorry" for the long wait rather than informing us that our order never got printed and then disappearing. Just bad business! I hope the manager can turn this place around but we will NOT be giving it another chance :( sad bc great view.Special Features:
- Frustrating service, not typicalKatesVIPDined on 7/13/2014Normally we love Waterfront but our experience Sunday was less than great. Service was awful from our waiter - though another did try to step in and correct when he saw our drinks were very empty - and he appeared too busy and frazzled. His reaction to a gluten free request was also less than ideal. Food was not as great as it has been and the fact a salad w chicken cost $22 was ridiculous. Left hungry and disappointed. This was not our normal experience but very unfortunate all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/13/2014The waiter was pushy and rushed us the entire meal. We gently pointed this out, and he called us "cute girls"--keep in mind we are niddle aged women. He tried to tell us what to order, and was rude and condescending. We had hoped to enjoy the view with good food and good company and conversation. He kept interrupting us with his pushy manner. The food was merely mediocre. The bloody mary's were watered down and barely drinkable. The cost was high for what we received quality-wise for everything. The view is great, but won't make up for the awful service and not-good food. We will not be back.Special Features:
- Summer perfect!BuckyVIPDined on 7/12/2014Great food, great view. Good to impress visitors .Special Features:
- CountyGalDined on 7/10/2014First visit for dinner...will be back. Very cool waterfront establishment.Special Features:
- Outstanding water viewFoodie1Dined on 7/9/2014We arrived mid-week which might have been to our advantage as we were but the few diners that evening. . The service was attentive and helpful, we were able to get our requested window table, we were not rushed, as well as be able to linger over our bottle of wine for more than a normal amount of time. The cocktails were interesting as well as the appetizers: Duck leg confit and shallots, and chopped eggs crostini. Both our entrees were delicious: house made pasta and a filet mignon cooked just as ordered. The wine list is extensive and its menu gives a thorough description of each category. We were too full to order dessert.Special Features:
- Great place for a special occasionJaninBaltimoreDined on 7/8/2014The food was delicious and the service was good but portion size seemed small and cost is a little pricey so best to go when you have a special occasion. There was a big party the night we were there so it was rather noisy and hard to talk but overall the experience was good and we would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waterside viewwhynotliveDined on 7/4/2014Hidden gem. Located on the waterfront. Beautiful patio with harbor view of the dominos sugar factory. Was there for July 4th. Perfect place to watch the fireworks (the barge located just a few yards away) and enjoy a relaxed dinner. On the priced side but the entrees were well prepared and tasty. Recommend the filet mignon and meat loaf. Open late. Slow but pleasant service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great.PapPaNeufDined on 7/4/2014Made reservations for 830 on the night of 4th of July. The fireworks were going off in the harbor about 50 yards away. It was the perfect location. We were seated at 845, fireworks started at 930. We entered our App order at approx 9pm. At approx 1015 our server came back with the manager and said they no longer hand any of the appetizers we wanted to order. Almost an hour and 15 minutes went by and our Appetizers weren't out. The manager comped a glass of wine for my girlfriend, but the entire experience was lackluster. The weight staff were amateurs and had no sense of urgency. Next time I visit Baltimore....I'll have my $200 dinner somewhere else.Special Features:
- Fireworks and Great serviceMerryfishDined on 7/4/2014We had dinner on the patio for 4th of July. Our waitress was excellent and knew the menu, was flexible, and met our needs. The food was very good., even thought Fourth of July is not the best time to try a new place. Fab view,a pleasant and welcoming staff and good food.Special Features:
- Not as Good as the reviews saidOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/4/2014We went to Waterfront Kitchen with high hopes but the food just didn't cooperate. We started with duck leg confit and an asparagus goat cheese terrine. Neither was good. The duck leg was the driest and most overcooked I have ever seen and it had a gamey taste to it. The asparagus terrine was nothing more than a bunch of goat cheese surrounding some fairly bland asparagus. The main course was better but my halibut that seemed to be cooked perfectly at first was overcooked a bit which made the ends of the filet very dry. The fennel sauce was good and helped with the dry bits. My wife had the cavatelli with mushrooms that was pretty good. Two of the four wines we tried were good with the Vouvray being the best. BTW, the view was great.Special Features:
- delightful!dinnerfor2Dined on 7/4/2014So lovely to find a nice restaurant, with a great view, appropriately attentive wait staff, great food and wine. The owner had just returned from a trip to CA and brought back a specially crafted, riesling. While I was very hesitant to try it, the wait staff encouraged us and we agreed - it was perfect - not too sweet, and towards the dry side and a perfect compliment to the perfectly cooked halibut that we ordered for dinner. Unusual for us, both my husband and I found the wine very much to our liking. We finished the evening with a fabulous mint ice cream, also locally made. It is nice to patronize an establishment that is mission driven, and has quality food and service.Special Features: