1417 Thames Street
Baltimore, MD 21231Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterfrontkitchen.com/
- Phone: 4436815310x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Unspecified, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer both in-house and off-premises catering.
A word from Waterfront Kitchen
A seed-to-table restaurant that sources ingredients as locally and seasonally as possible, Waterfront Kitchen offers sweeping views of the Baltimore harbor from the western-most tip of Thames Street in historic Fells Point. During the growing season, we partner with Living Classroom’s BUGS (Baltimore Urban Gardening with Students) program to grow our own fresh produce and teach inner-city grade school kids about the joys of good nutrition and gardening. Year-round, we celebrate the beauty of nature’s bounty on the plate, and offer wines from makers that share our commitment to feeding body and soul. Mission-driven dining never tasted so good.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Waterfront Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Fells Point ›
Waterfront Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (132)great for outdoor dining (122)fit for foodies (64)special occasion (62)romantic (54)great for brunch (36)notable wine list (35)great for lunch (31)neighborhood gem (30)good for groups (20)hot spot (7)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/13/2014Great view and service but the limited restaurant week menu was a disappointmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good viewFoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014We ate here for brunch recently. We were seated promptly. Service was standard. The food was about a estate. There's lots of space inside the restaurant with good ambient temperature. There's also outside seating with a view of the harbor. It's a middle of the pack restaurant. It's good for groups. If someone asked about it I'd recommend but I wouldn't go out of my way to give unsolicited recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014The service was incredibly slow and unorganized. We dined with two other couples and when every single course, including drinks, was delivered one person's order was missing. It was generally delivered to the table about 5 minutes later. And then they had the audacity to add a 20% tip to the bill before presenting it to is. Perhaps they knew there was no way that a 20% tip would have been added.Special Features:
- Great view and foodJonesesDined on 8/7/2014We went for restaurant week and the choices were fabulous. We are definitely coming back to check out their regular menu and to see what brunch is like. The outdoor seating was amazing!Special Features:
- Great view...that's it :(jonathansagnerVIPDined on 8/5/2014Here are the excuses we heard: it's restaurant week, and it's a new computer system. Here is the results: After being seated it was 20+ minutes before our waiter was available to take our order, 40+ minutes before receiving our cocktails, out of two main courses one was literally inedible (John Ward, our very courteous but nothing else waiter said "sorry, I failed! I should have checked more carefully). We went for a pre-show dinner before the John Legend concert. It took so long to get the little we did we had to skip dessert to make the show on time. I would have thought 120 minutes was sufficient. In the end, other than the waiters comment, no manager apologies and no accommodations on the check for the comedy of errors. Not Corks!Special Features:
- Disappointing.CouldWriteMoreDined on 7/29/2014First they didn't have deviled eggs as shown on the menu. Then the chef refused to serve duck that is cooked completely through. Finally, no ice cream (as prominently featured on their website) because the freezer wasn't working. So I ended up with the "special" mac and cheese with mushrooms dish. It was not to my liking at all. Dry and, well, not very good. All and all, we had excellent service, outdoor dining was nice, but the food was hugely disappointing. Perhaps you'll order more wisely and have a better experience.Special Features:
- Perfect - and very BaltimoreJTD443VIPDined on 7/27/2014We had brunch outside under an umbrella and had a great view of harbor activity and a slight breeze. Service was attentive but not cloying. The food was delicious and fresh. Staff was knoweldgable. Fellow diners were nice. We were full and happy when we leftSpecial Features:
- Off-night at the WaterfrontPickyEaterDined on 7/26/2014We are big fans of WK. However, last Saturday night was an off night for the restaurant. The kitchen was VERY slow, our entrée taking well over an hour with little help from our very peasant waiter. My husbands strip steak, ordered medium rare came our medium well. The the credit of this usually reliable eatery, the steak was comped. We will return without hesitation.Special Features:
- Foodie prices without the qualityGoingBackDined on 7/24/2014The view of the harbor is amazing and it was a great atmosphere for celebrating our anniversary. However the best part of the meal was the appetizer (mac and cheese) and the entrees did not leave a lasting impression. With the prices you would expect great flavors and memories of what you ate. Sadly I have a feeling I could recreate the meal at home, and with that cost I want more.Special Features:
- First time there!! Not the lastRuthVIPDined on 7/19/2014First time there!! Not the last - - Loved the Cold Beer, Chicken dish and the Pollack Fish!!! Amazingly plated ... . wonderful flavor!!!! Fantastic servers.. very attentive!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish we could begin againGoldenRoseDined on 7/19/2014We had read such good reviews, had spoken with staff in advance of the evening ( who were extremely peasant and Understood that we were bringing guests her were docked in harbor east- as part of a ten day yacht trip from Va and that we really wanted to show great Baltimore cuisine with great Baltimore hospitality! ) If only the dinner had lived up to the view - an untrained waiter who greeted us with a laundry list of what they Didn't have the limited menu and it was only 7 p.m- told us of substitutions for example of pollock for sea bass(not quite a comparable selection and a cheese &fruit plate that was an embarrassment! Great table. Great drinks and if they ever train the try hard waitstaff better I would Not the norm I hopeSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014The menu read well (including craft cocktails); however all were disappointing. Fish was not hot and parts seemed 'dried' for sitting out for a bit before serving. Pasta dish tasted good but was a fairly average concoction given the price. Cocktail didn't have the flavors described in the drink....pretty much plain rum and simple syrup. Service was great/attentive and setting was lovely.Special Features:
- Great view - that's about it :(RoxieGirlVIPDined on 7/16/2014My mom was so excited to bring me to this restaurant on Wednesday evening to enjoy the great view and weather. Unfortunately the view was not worth the extremely long wait for dinner (easily over an hour), rude/unapologetic/lackadaisical staff, and less than average food (pork tenderloin barely edible - another lady sent it back). I was so excited when I saw the decor and unique menu but the overall experience was ruined by the poor staffing. It would have been appreciated if the server at least said "sorry" for the long wait rather than informing us that our order never got printed and then disappearing. Just bad business! I hope the manager can turn this place around but we will NOT be giving it another chance :( sad bc great view.Special Features:
- Frustrating service, not typicalKatesVIPDined on 7/13/2014Normally we love Waterfront but our experience Sunday was less than great. Service was awful from our waiter - though another did try to step in and correct when he saw our drinks were very empty - and he appeared too busy and frazzled. His reaction to a gluten free request was also less than ideal. Food was not as great as it has been and the fact a salad w chicken cost $22 was ridiculous. Left hungry and disappointed. This was not our normal experience but very unfortunate all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/13/2014The waiter was pushy and rushed us the entire meal. We gently pointed this out, and he called us "cute girls"--keep in mind we are niddle aged women. He tried to tell us what to order, and was rude and condescending. We had hoped to enjoy the view with good food and good company and conversation. He kept interrupting us with his pushy manner. The food was merely mediocre. The bloody mary's were watered down and barely drinkable. The cost was high for what we received quality-wise for everything. The view is great, but won't make up for the awful service and not-good food. We will not be back.Special Features:
- Summer perfect!BuckyVIPDined on 7/12/2014Great food, great view. Good to impress visitors .Special Features:
- CountyGalDined on 7/10/2014First visit for dinner...will be back. Very cool waterfront establishment.Special Features:
- Outstanding water viewFoodie1Dined on 7/9/2014We arrived mid-week which might have been to our advantage as we were but the few diners that evening. . The service was attentive and helpful, we were able to get our requested window table, we were not rushed, as well as be able to linger over our bottle of wine for more than a normal amount of time. The cocktails were interesting as well as the appetizers: Duck leg confit and shallots, and chopped eggs crostini. Both our entrees were delicious: house made pasta and a filet mignon cooked just as ordered. The wine list is extensive and its menu gives a thorough description of each category. We were too full to order dessert.Special Features:
- Great place for a special occasionJaninBaltimoreDined on 7/8/2014The food was delicious and the service was good but portion size seemed small and cost is a little pricey so best to go when you have a special occasion. There was a big party the night we were there so it was rather noisy and hard to talk but overall the experience was good and we would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waterside viewwhynotliveDined on 7/4/2014Hidden gem. Located on the waterfront. Beautiful patio with harbor view of the dominos sugar factory. Was there for July 4th. Perfect place to watch the fireworks (the barge located just a few yards away) and enjoy a relaxed dinner. On the priced side but the entrees were well prepared and tasty. Recommend the filet mignon and meat loaf. Open late. Slow but pleasant service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great.PapPaNeufDined on 7/4/2014Made reservations for 830 on the night of 4th of July. The fireworks were going off in the harbor about 50 yards away. It was the perfect location. We were seated at 845, fireworks started at 930. We entered our App order at approx 9pm. At approx 1015 our server came back with the manager and said they no longer hand any of the appetizers we wanted to order. Almost an hour and 15 minutes went by and our Appetizers weren't out. The manager comped a glass of wine for my girlfriend, but the entire experience was lackluster. The weight staff were amateurs and had no sense of urgency. Next time I visit Baltimore....I'll have my $200 dinner somewhere else.Special Features:
- Fireworks and Great serviceMerryfishDined on 7/4/2014We had dinner on the patio for 4th of July. Our waitress was excellent and knew the menu, was flexible, and met our needs. The food was very good., even thought Fourth of July is not the best time to try a new place. Fab view,a pleasant and welcoming staff and good food.Special Features:
- Not as Good as the reviews saidOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/4/2014We went to Waterfront Kitchen with high hopes but the food just didn't cooperate. We started with duck leg confit and an asparagus goat cheese terrine. Neither was good. The duck leg was the driest and most overcooked I have ever seen and it had a gamey taste to it. The asparagus terrine was nothing more than a bunch of goat cheese surrounding some fairly bland asparagus. The main course was better but my halibut that seemed to be cooked perfectly at first was overcooked a bit which made the ends of the filet very dry. The fennel sauce was good and helped with the dry bits. My wife had the cavatelli with mushrooms that was pretty good. Two of the four wines we tried were good with the Vouvray being the best. BTW, the view was great.Special Features:
- delightful!dinnerfor2Dined on 7/4/2014So lovely to find a nice restaurant, with a great view, appropriately attentive wait staff, great food and wine. The owner had just returned from a trip to CA and brought back a specially crafted, riesling. While I was very hesitant to try it, the wait staff encouraged us and we agreed - it was perfect - not too sweet, and towards the dry side and a perfect compliment to the perfectly cooked halibut that we ordered for dinner. Unusual for us, both my husband and I found the wine very much to our liking. We finished the evening with a fabulous mint ice cream, also locally made. It is nice to patronize an establishment that is mission driven, and has quality food and service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/4/2014The food was so good, I almost didn't want to review the place, so I can keep it all to myself. My wife and I both ordered fried dishes (chicken for me, fish for her) and they were great. Moist, but not greasy. The service was good, but the servers seemed a bit uncomfortable for some reason. We were there at the first seating, so it was just a few people seated. However, they put all of us at tables next to each other, which was a little awkward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DiningCantonCruiserDined on 6/29/2014Amazing dinner with a fabulous view of Baltimore harbor. The food was superb and the wait staff excellent. Farm to table dining at its finest. A great find in Fells Point!Special Features:
- A bit too slow...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/28/2014Had dinner on a Saturday evening. Our 8:30 reservation was easily moved to 8:00 as the restaurant was only 2/3 full. Seated outside with great view of the water. No draft beer? Hmmmmm. Local bottles - good. Tons of wine choices. Appetizers in $10 range - kale salad very tasty. Some items from the online menu no longer available. No daily specials. Food ordered at about 8:20. Appetizers arrived within 15 minutes. Main courses arrived at 9:35! Server offered no explanation for length wait, but was quite busy the entire 90 minutes we waited. Numerous ther wait staff moving about too, so maybe they need more kitchen help? My pork dish was great; others had steak (very good) and meatloaf (very good too).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WHAT A VIEW!FOODIE4LIFEVIPDined on 6/28/2014GREAT VIEW WITH THE BALTIMORE HARBOR. BEST EVER! WE HAD A GREAT TIME WITH OUR FRIENDS, OUTSIDE ON THE HARBOR. GREAT SERVICE, GOOD FOOD......WONDERFUL NIGHT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had high hopesBaltimoreanaDined on 6/27/2014I had heard great things about Waterfront Kitchen. Drinks were great. Food, not so much. The entrees were lukewarm when we received them and the appetizer was just not good. The service was slow and we were never asked how our food was during the entire meal. However, it's a beautiful place with an absolutely amazing write home to mom view.Special Features:
- Sunset Sailing ViewsFoodiesrelaxingDined on 6/27/2014We had been to Waterfront Kitchen for brunch during the winter and it was very good, but we were taken with the views and vowed to return in nice weather. We did and it was awesome! We sat right on the water at sunset and watched sailing school and other sailors while enjoying wine and a superb diner. Our waiter was friendly and great about recommendations. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!LMV126VIPDined on 6/26/2014We had a party of 4. All meals were excellent! Service was attentive, but not intrusive. Only complaint is about the chairs. We sat outside, which was lovely, but the chairs were the most uncomfortable I've ever experienced. Made you not want to linger. They should be replaced!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View-That's IT!FootedContessa1VIPDined on 6/26/2014We sat outside on a lovely summer evening and wished we had enjoyed the food as much as the ambiance. The halibut that I ordered and the chicken dish that my husband had were both overcooked and dry. We expected better! Neither entree was so complicated that it could not have been cooked to perfection if there had been a competent cook in the kitchen.Special Features:
- Fun atmosphere, not so great foodJMH1Dined on 6/24/2014We came for a work dinner. The outdoor seating was great as were the drinks and service. I was very disappointed with our entrees- especially the Monkfish. The fish was bland and the peas were not cooked. I was also disappointed in the dessert- the spice cake was very dry and tasted old. For the price point of this restaurant, their quality of food should be much better. To end on a good note- I would definitely come back for drinks as the outside seating is wonderful and our server was great. Perhaps the restaurant should reevaluate their entree menu.Special Features:
- Great outdoor dinning spot34521Dined on 6/24/2014The location is perfect for dinning with a group friends who are new to the area. The view from the restaurant is very characterics of East Baltimore.Special Features:
- Lots of funDiningreviewDined on 6/20/2014We came for a birthday season celebration, and the weather was perfect so we were able to use our reservation to go outside. The waiter was reasonably attentive, and funny, which helped, we were right down on the dock, so the scenery was great (well, two people were facing the land, but that's just the way it works), and the food was pretty good. I was the only vegetarian in the group, and the website menu had listed veggie meals. We got the appetizer vegetable terrine--not much taste. Roasted vegetables entrée was pretty small and hadn't any obvious protein. The others got chicken and trout--very good, large eouugh. The desserts were great. We had a delightful time, really enjoyed the open air and the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe Next TimejkhcharmcityDined on 6/19/2014The restaurant is really lovely. Perfect setting. Perhaps my friend and I did not choose the right meals that evening, because we found everything bland. We shared the salmon and beet appetizer, which was quite good. We also shared entrees and those were nothing special. We had the vegetable dish and the pollock. I can't remember the last time I had to add salt to a restaurant meal, but we did that evening. Our server, Jenny, was outstanding -- as was the rest of the wait staff. I will definitely give this one another chance.Special Features:
- great for business lunch or dinnereurodineDined on 6/18/2014Great location and view of the water. Food is good but somewhat more pretentious than tasty. Lack of expresso (only a drip coffee) was a surpriseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over Waterfront Kitchendiningout02VIPDined on 6/18/2014We've been here before for the view and the ambience, but I'm afraid it's our last time. While the kale salad was outstanding, the trout was a real disappointment. Assured that they could make my fried rice without the lobster I went ahead and ordered it. Sadly, the soy sauce was so overwhelming it overpowered the delicate (if overcooked) trout. Strawberry shortcake featured a doughy biscuit overwhelming overly sweet strawberries. We were surprised there were no adjustments to our bill since our server was aware of our disappointment. It's too bad - the place has such promise.Special Features:
- Terrible serviceKgirlDined on 6/17/2014I've never had such a hard time making a reservation. They had me confirmed for 3 different times, didn't return calls. Service at restaurant was no better. Was there for 3 hours. Used this restaurant as a business dinner- will never do again.
- Nice eveningSnowmomVIPDined on 6/15/2014What a great wTerfront location! The food was pretty good, maybe not great, but we'd come again. We thought the portions were large. It was Sunday evening and not very busy. I hope business picks up at waterfront because they support good food and education causes. I wish them luck!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.