2000 Capitol Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95814Neighborhood:
French AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.waterboyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9164989891x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Wednesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian, French American
- Executive Chef: Rick Mahan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Waterboy
Our Goal at The Waterboy is to provide you with a wonderful dining experience. Taking inspiration from the cuisines of southern France and northern Italy, we feature a new menu every month to take full advantage of our local, seasonal ingredients. Our menu features naturally raised meats, local organic produce and freshly baked breads. Along with great service and a terrific, reasonably priced wine list, we think you will be quite pleased with a visit to The Waterboy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Waterboy - Best Restaurants in Sacramento ›
Waterboy reviews from OpenTable diners
166 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (127)special occasion (104)neighborhood gem (86)romantic (55)notable wine list (47)great for outdoor dining (37)great for lunch (30)good for groups (19)hot spot (14)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Excellent food, great wine.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2014Excellent food, great wine list. Very friendly staff. Nice ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best!NormaniDined on 10/22/2014Came in to Sacramento from Berkeley for the day, and just HAD to return to Waterboy. You did not disappoint! Hats off to Rick and the entire crew!! Food and service -- as always -- are tops! You folks are THE BEST! We had Duck-Frites, and the Trout. Both dishes were xcellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Very good over-all. Great service and the food was delicious. Only issue was, we had a 7:15 PM seating and by the time we ordered at about 7:45 they were out of one of the featured specials.Special Features:
- sactotomDined on 10/16/2014Our favorite fine dining restaurant in Sacramento. Professional, friendly service, outstanding food and wine, always a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- A wonderful dining experienceJoshDined on 10/12/2014Dinner at the Waterboy was simply great. Great food, attentive staff, and they even were able to cook up something which was not on the menu! I look forward to dining there again in the very near future :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodjtfdez5VIPDined on 10/11/2014Never disappoints. Food is always very good. From small plates, to salads, down to the desserts, Waterboy is a great place to dine atSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014The food was outstanding...the restaurant was full and noise level high...probably because of old building and acoustics. I think maybe next time we will go earlier in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/5/2014They need someone at the bar who knows how to open older bottles of wine. Servers using the usual cheap wine opener break corks with inappropriate openers and bar has nothing better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met the HypeOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/5/2014It's so nice to look forward to dining at this restaurant and it met our expectations. All I can say it was "just good! "Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still my FavoriteeatwellDined on 10/1/2014As usual, we had a very good dinner. Were served a complimentary glass of Prosecco for my birthday, then both of us enjoyed the trout for the main course. I don't remember the sides it came with, but they were very good, as was the sauce. My husband likes the sweetbreads for the first course - says they are the best of any place. I enjoyed a salad of green beans, sweet peppers and goat cheese. I have always liked the atmosphere at The Waterboy- it's informal, but not too casual. With the large windows and the French cafe chairs, it's a very pleasant setting. The restaurant was busy which lent a festive air. Service excellent, but not pretentious.Special Features:
- Love WaterboysaradoodlesDined on 9/28/2014I have never been disappointed by this restaurant. Shared the heirloom tomatoes with mozarella with my friend. They were fantastic-sweet, juicy and full-flavored like tomatoes are supposed to be, but too often are not. Everything on the menu was fresh and seasonal. I chose the fish stew, but I would have loved to have a bite of everything I saw. Our server Elizabeth was knowledgeable and attentive Although I didn't order them this time, I love the sweetbreads and Caesar Salad which I think are always on the menu. Rick Mahan has a wonderful team of chefs and servers. His enthusiasm for his business and love of cooking are infectious. It's a treat to eat here!Special Features:
- Exceptional dining experienceJc916Dined on 9/27/2014We love coming to waterboy, its our 2nd time coming here and has been great both times. The appetizers are always unique and foodie oriented along with some well executed classics like caesar salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeorgiaJWDined on 9/27/2014Consistently outstanding. Our favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDined on 9/25/2014My business partner and I decided to visit THE WATERBOY restaurant in Sacramento. It’s a good thing that we made reservations as it was quite crowded. (That’s a hint!) The last time we ate there was about a year and a half ago. This time my business partner ordered the Oysters on the Half Shell with Mignonette Sauce. His entrée was the Salmon special. I took a gamble on the Antipasto Plate (Parma Prosciutto, Cured Meats & Salami, Marinated Vegetables, Olives, Sheepsmilk Cheese & Bruschetta) and the Pasta Special of the evening. Add in some wonderful service by Marcella and the results were a double dose of excellent, start to finish. This place is due for a third visit the next time we are in Sacramento.Special Features:
- A special place to dine.linda42Dined on 9/21/2014The wait staff always makes us feel special. The menu always features locally-sourced, seasonal dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodRachelyayaDined on 9/18/2014The food here is delicious. Perfect for a fancier meal for adults, but still a relaxed atmosphere. Love this restaurant. I wouldn't bring my kids, the food takes awhile to come. Only thing I would suggest- update the restrooms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteKCalVIPDined on 9/16/2014The service was excellent, our waitress was very attentive without being a constant presence. My risotto was seasoned to perfection and my fiance's scallops were done to the utmost perfection. The cheese plate appetizer included very tasty cheeses and the oysters on the half-shell were incredibly tasty. If you have never tried The Waterboy you should do yourself a favor and go, you won't be sorry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsmatineeVIPDined on 9/13/2014We've dined here a few times when in town and Waterboy never disappoints. The service has always been great. We've never had a bad meal and the wine recommendations have been spot on.Special Features:
- Fantastic Lunch, Great ServiceDori328VIPDined on 9/12/2014We found Waterboy on OpenTable on the spur of the moment, and we were very pleased with the delicious food and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnsieVIPDined on 9/10/2014We had a very bright and capable waitress--we thought she should be teaching somewhere at the college level! We had a friend visiting from out of town, who greatly enjoyed her Reuben sandwich, and took half of it home to enjoy once again. The rest of us ran the gamut from salmon to sweetbreads and the one who ordered scallops was enchanted--they were perfectly cooked and delicious. We are never disappointed at the Waterboy, and will surely be back.Special Features:
- Good but not outstandingbikedesDined on 9/8/2014Very interesting menu but the food didn't knock us out. Everything else was very good but not outstanding.Special Features:
- Tough choices!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/4/2014I think I decide what I want to order before I get there and then am immersed in a host of other options that all sound tantalizing and always deliver. I particulary like the steak tartare and the Paris Bistro plate….and everything else.Special Features:
- A great neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/4/2014We had an excellent dinner with our good friends here. The food was great & the wine, with guidance from our excellent server, was very nice. The atmosphere is informal but the food is that of a great French bistro. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- First timerCalizonsDined on 9/4/2014Checked out this spot for a Bday dinner. Food was great! Service was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good meal at WaterboyeatwellDined on 9/2/2014This is my favorite special dining Sacramento restaurant. The food and service are always excellent, it's not formal but everything is attended to properly and the restaurant is small enough not to be overwhelming and noisy. Not glittery, but understated.Special Features:
- Delicious!mtavillVIPDined on 9/2/2014Was here for our anniversary dinner. Service and food were great (w/ one exception). Welcoming champagne toast was a nice touch. Corn soup awesome! Pasta w/ Italian sausage stupendous. Scallops amazing. My only issue was w/ the melon/prosciuto appetizer. Server made a point about the aged balsamic, and then proceeded to drizzle a micro-spoonful over my plate. When I asked for a bit more, she told me no, because it's aged 16 years and is quite expensive. Huh? She then brought me back some of the "cheap stuff" which was all liquidy and not aged, and definitely not the same. Really?!?! Anyway... other than that one flaw, a really great meal (as always) at Waterboy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waterboy Never DisappointsPCGuestVIPDined on 8/30/2014From the yummy appetizers through dessert, everything was special. We'd brought company from out of town--one vegetarian, one non-meat eater, two carnivores and a pescatarian and all were thrilled with their menu selections. How's that for a home run?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous restaurant in downtown SacVineandDineDined on 8/30/2014This place has a great relaxed atmosphere that is some what reminiscent of the south. Their modern California take on some traditional French fare, is simply outstanding. The Bouilabaisse was fantastic.Special Features:
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Start to finish, one of best meals ever. Scallops melted in our mouths (had to share!), duck was succulent, dessert outstanding. Waterboy is the best restaurant in Sacramento. Every time. Period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious and welcomingTimZinDined on 8/28/2014Rick Mahan is always creative, taking fresh, local produce and turning it into delicious (and sometimes surprising) dishes - the kind you carefully dissect with your fork to enjoy each flavor and flavor-combination. The quality and service are always tops AND consistently fine from visit to visit. An excellent restaurant in all respects.Special Features:
- Excellent FindLat2rellDined on 8/24/2014First time there, the food was wonderful, and service great! I will deffently return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food; Rip-Off CocktailsAspenWillowDined on 8/24/2014Cocktails: the Cosmopolitan was barely pink, little alcohol, and very unremarkable. The Singapore 75 was mostly a full glass of ice with barely any liquid. We wondered if there was actually any booze in it. The food: Pan Seared Dayboat Scallops were outstanding, although a small portion. The Black Cod special and Sweet Corn Soup were also excellent. Desserts were top notch: Chocolate Carmel Tart and Cafe au Lait Profiteroles. Overall, this very pricey restaurant was what I expected except for the cocktails, which were very disappointing. I would expect this from a cheap tourist restaurant, but not from a Fine Dining mainstay in Sacramento. We would go back but definitely would stick to beer and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food horrible ambiancenoiseadverseDined on 8/22/2014No fault of the management, but the clientele at this restaurant are the noisiest I have ever experienced. Impossible to hear your dining partner unless he or she shouts. Excellent food, but the experience was spoiled by the din from other diners. St outside or maybe go during the week.Special Features:
- Casual refinementOuiniVIPDined on 8/22/2014Relaxed atmosphere but still provides fine dining selectionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/20/2014We were a party of 4, representing 4 different nationalities and culinary backgrounds, and we all had different appetizers and entrees. All dishes were well-prepared and tasty. Especially noteworthy were the sweetbreads and trout. We all had a wonderful dining experience. The Waterboy doesn't disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot for lunchjmrobertsDined on 8/20/2014Came in for lunch with friends on a weekday. The food was all super seasonal and the dishes were thoughtfully created. The corn soup with lobster butter and the housemade sausage with the rosemary noodles are what stand out. The lunch menu is the same as dinner, so it's a great deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Celebratory Dinnerkaygee10Dined on 8/16/2014We had a very good experience. We were celebrating a wedding anniversary and had notified them when making the reservation. After we were seated, they gave each of us a complimentary glass of champagne. A great gesture on their part. We had the oysters for an appetizer, and they were fresh, tasty and well portioned. Our starters consisted of sweetbreads and sweet corn soup. The soup was excellent and the sweetbreads (which we've never had) are now one of our all-time favorites. We ordered the scallops and the ahi special for entrees. The ahi was good, not great. However the scallops were, again, the best I've ever tasted. The were fresh and prepared flawlessly. The risotto that accompanied the scallops was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family FavoriteLuvnewenglandDined on 8/15/2014Always special. Have eaten several lunches & many diners. Preparation & presentation always superior. Service is always excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaterboyEdibleLuvDined on 8/15/2014Staff were very attentive, food was excellent and fresh (loved the bread crustiness!). Rated Ambiance as a 4 because the window view of parked street cars is not the best inspirational sight. But... I was facing my date, and he was adorable, so I was happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but noisyFineDining12470Dined on 8/14/2014The service and food was great, as indicated, but it was a very noisy place. Although based on the food and its presentation I would normally recommend a place like this for a special and/or romantic occasion, the noise level would quickly take away from something like that.Special Features: