2000 Capitol Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95814Neighborhood:
French AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.waterboyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9164989891x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Wednesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian, French American
- Executive Chef: Rick Mahan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Waterboy
Our Goal at The Waterboy is to provide you with a wonderful dining experience. Taking inspiration from the cuisines of southern France and northern Italy, we feature a new menu every month to take full advantage of our local, seasonal ingredients. Our menu features naturally raised meats, local organic produce and freshly baked breads. Along with great service and a terrific, reasonably priced wine list, we think you will be quite pleased with a visit to The Waterboy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Waterboy - Best Restaurants in Sacramento ›
Waterboy reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (118)special occasion (103)neighborhood gem (80)romantic (55)notable wine list (45)great for outdoor dining (36)great for lunch (32)good for groups (18)hot spot (11)great for brunch (7)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Waterboy Never DisappointsPCGuestVIPDined on 8/30/2014From the yummy appetizers through dessert, everything was special. We'd brought company from out of town--one vegetarian, one non-meat eater, two carnivores and a pescatarian and all were thrilled with their menu selections. How's that for a home run?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous restaurant in downtown SacOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014This place has a great relaxed atmosphere that is some what reminiscent of the south. Their modern California take on some traditional French fare, is simply outstanding. The Bouilabaisse was fantastic.Special Features:
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Start to finish, one of best meals ever. Scallops melted in our mouths (had to share!), duck was succulent, dessert outstanding. Waterboy is the best restaurant in Sacramento. Every time. Period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious and welcomingTimZinDined on 8/28/2014Rick Mahan is always creative, taking fresh, local produce and turning it into delicious (and sometimes surprising) dishes - the kind you carefully dissect with your fork to enjoy each flavor and flavor-combination. The quality and service are always tops AND consistently fine from visit to visit. An excellent restaurant in all respects.Special Features:
- Excellent FindLat2rellDined on 8/24/2014First time there, the food was wonderful, and service great! I will deffently return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food; Rip-Off CocktailsAspenWillowDined on 8/24/2014Cocktails: the Cosmopolitan was barely pink, little alcohol, and very unremarkable. The Singapore 75 was mostly a full glass of ice with barely any liquid. We wondered if there was actually any booze in it. The food: Pan Seared Dayboat Scallops were outstanding, although a small portion. The Black Cod special and Sweet Corn Soup were also excellent. Desserts were top notch: Chocolate Carmel Tart and Cafe au Lait Profiteroles. Overall, this very pricey restaurant was what I expected except for the cocktails, which were very disappointing. I would expect this from a cheap tourist restaurant, but not from a Fine Dining mainstay in Sacramento. We would go back but definitely would stick to beer and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food horrible ambiancenoiseadverseDined on 8/22/2014No fault of the management, but the clientele at this restaurant are the noisiest I have ever experienced. Impossible to hear your dining partner unless he or she shouts. Excellent food, but the experience was spoiled by the din from other diners. St outside or maybe go during the week.Special Features:
- Casual refinementOuiniVIPDined on 8/22/2014Relaxed atmosphere but still provides fine dining selectionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/20/2014We were a party of 4, representing 4 different nationalities and culinary backgrounds, and we all had different appetizers and entrees. All dishes were well-prepared and tasty. Especially noteworthy were the sweetbreads and trout. We all had a wonderful dining experience. The Waterboy doesn't disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot for lunchjmrobertsDined on 8/20/2014Came in for lunch with friends on a weekday. The food was all super seasonal and the dishes were thoughtfully created. The corn soup with lobster butter and the housemade sausage with the rosemary noodles are what stand out. The lunch menu is the same as dinner, so it's a great deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Celebratory Dinnerkaygee10Dined on 8/16/2014We had a very good experience. We were celebrating a wedding anniversary and had notified them when making the reservation. After we were seated, they gave each of us a complimentary glass of champagne. A great gesture on their part. We had the oysters for an appetizer, and they were fresh, tasty and well portioned. Our starters consisted of sweetbreads and sweet corn soup. The soup was excellent and the sweetbreads (which we've never had) are now one of our all-time favorites. We ordered the scallops and the ahi special for entrees. The ahi was good, not great. However the scallops were, again, the best I've ever tasted. The were fresh and prepared flawlessly. The risotto that accompanied the scallops was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family FavoriteLuvnewenglandDined on 8/15/2014Always special. Have eaten several lunches & many diners. Preparation & presentation always superior. Service is always excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaterboyEdibleLuvDined on 8/15/2014Staff were very attentive, food was excellent and fresh (loved the bread crustiness!). Rated Ambiance as a 4 because the window view of parked street cars is not the best inspirational sight. But... I was facing my date, and he was adorable, so I was happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but noisyFineDining12470Dined on 8/14/2014The service and food was great, as indicated, but it was a very noisy place. Although based on the food and its presentation I would normally recommend a place like this for a special and/or romantic occasion, the noise level would quickly take away from something like that.Special Features:
- Classic Northern California CuisineGastrobubDined on 8/12/2014I had read great reviews about Waterboy, so was anxious to pay them a visit. A friend was visiting from the midwest so we decided to try the place as she wanted to immerse herself in Northern California cuisine. We were not disappointed. The bread was fresh, rustic and flavorful. The salmon was fresh and cooked perfectly. Our waiter was informative, attentive and fun. Couldn't ask for anything more. I was surprised that we could dress casually but hey, it is Northern California.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/12/2014Food is consistently good here. I have never had anything that I didn't love.Special Features:
- WaterboysirahDined on 8/12/2014Our experience at the Waterboy was quite enjoyable. I found the food to be quite memorable, in every capacity, espcially the "Farm to Fork" theme. My only disapointment of the evening was the frugal selection of wines by the glass. Considering how expensive wine has become, many patrons prefer to purchase simply a glass, but when the choices are so few, you feel compelled to order something you generally wouldn't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticrubyblenheimDined on 8/11/2014We went here for our 24th wedding anniversary and it disappoint. The opening cheese plate started things off nicely. We enjoyed our cocktails, food, and especially our waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!AttorneyChickDined on 8/11/2014This was my first time dining here. Great food, attentive staff and a wonderful, original cocktail menu. Also, plenty of parking. The acoustics make conversation a bit of a challenge but not impossible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/11/2014Had a nice BD dinner - the menu reflected the best of the season - corn & tomatoes... I had the scallops with corn risotto and it was absolutely delicious! And you can't ever go wrong with a crostata for dessert. Service was attentive, but not overly so. Our server was just ok this visit. I always enjoy a dinner at the Water oy!Special Features:
- KentDined on 8/10/2014Marcella was our waitress and she is outstanding. Very knowledgable with a great personality. Food as always was top notch. Another wonderful Waterboy experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experiencegdizzleDined on 8/8/2014The rest of my party was delayed 30 minutes due to traffic, but the host graciously seated me and allowed me to wait for them. The food was delicious, and it is nice to be able to carry on a conversation in normal voice as opposed to many new restaurants with high noise levels. We were splitting the tab, but the waiter accidentally charged everything to one credit card. I received a call later that evening informing me of the mistake and allowing us to make the change.Special Features:
- Pure PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014Memorable from start to finish---makes most dining experiences seem sad in comparison.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciou$ Culinary Delight$ZenManDined on 8/5/2014The exceptional service was a pleasant surprise. Remembering this place as the former "Americos", I was glad to see the original wall that was originally painted many years ago. The dishes were each exceptional in their own distinct way. Never thought I would enjoy Bouillabaisse as much as I did here. Finally, somebody got it right. Deep flavored stock. No spicy aftertaste. Fresh ingredients, definitely.Special Features:
- Waterboy never disappointsJimandlinDined on 8/5/2014Waterboy is my favorite restaurant and once again our dining experience was wonderful. Every member of their staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Wish I lived closer I would be there more oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dinner!luv2gooutDined on 8/4/2014My husband and I went to Waterboy for our anniversary. Everything was spot on! We had the deviled eggs, prosciutto & melon, Caesar's salad, duck for him and I had the scallops. Dessert was a nectarine upside down cake. We will definitely be back! Thanks for a memorable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food!FoothillsFoodLoversDined on 8/3/2014The very best food is what Waterboy offers. They food combine well, the flavors are highly pleasing to the pallet and blend well to make dining here an enjoyable experience. We have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timers...AlecitaDined on 8/2/2014We really enjoyed, the ambience was very nice, a little loud, but we were ok. with that, menu offered really nice things. We choose from the specials, which were really different and nouvelle cuisine, which we really enjoy, personally would have loved my fish a little less cook, cause I enjoyed better, should have said. Anyway it was excellent. For dessert we shared the pear tart with blue cheese icecream, that was outstanding. Congrats!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014the bouilbase was excellent. Restaurant was too noisy. Hard to hear conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Food, Great WineOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014First oysters on the half shell with minionette accompanied by Prosecco. Then steak tartare which was to die for -- not ground beef but finely chopped steak seasoned perfectly for this dish -- accompanied by a barrolo, which also went well with the paparadelle with sausage, tomatoes, and sweet corn, which was our main dish. Finished off with lemon semifreddo -- a cloud of heaven -- and a single espresso. One of the best restaurant meals ever. The sommelier really cared about what he was saying to the customers and was very knowledgeable about the wine. And the rest of the service was first class, as always.Special Features:
- A disappointmentDebTahoeDined on 8/2/2014. Our appetizer of Summer Vegetebles lightly fried was lovely, as was a Ceasar salad. Our entrees were not very good at all. My husbands scallops were undercooked and even cold in the center - my lamb special was inedible - the sausages tasted terrible way too much spice and fennel - you could not even taste lamb and the lamb slices were too chewy to eat - also found three hairs in my sauce - yuck.
- VegetablesKajo555Dined on 7/28/2014Since they promote farm to fork food I expected great vegetables. Veges were overdone. The steak and fish were good but not better than other places and at a higher priceSpecial Features:
- Always WaterboyWhimsyDined on 7/23/2014Never disappointed dining here. My sister's birthday lunch was amazing. From the fish sticks (no, not your Lent Friday variety) to our heirloom tomato BLTs everything was great. We remarked that we had never had such delicious heirlooms, they were just the perfect ripeness and sweet. The focaccia bread was to die for.Special Features:
- consistently greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014Every time we go the food here is fantastic- so inventive with flavors but nothing too out there or risky. just consistently great!! Excellent knowledgeable service. Good cocktails too. the only thing they could maybe improve is the desserts- they are fine but don't match the amazingness of the dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOUSDXOXGDined on 7/19/2014Another wonderful meal at The Waterboy.... Great recommendations by Josh our fantastic waiter. I'm going back for sure!Special Features:
- 3rd time and _still_ a charm.JonathanDDined on 7/12/2014This was a date night occasion and it was excellent all around with service, food, and atmosphere. We started off with salad and then went to a dozen oysters that were fresh and divine. The waiter, Josh, was very attentive and I went with a special which was Ono. My wife had the duck which was also very tasty. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Once AgainNorCalDinerDined on 7/12/2014Consistently excellent food and service. Although we ate inside this time, the outdoor dining is very nice in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!Ltrap21Dined on 7/11/2014Finally got the chance to eat at the waterboy. We opted to sit outside, though I think the next time I'll go for indoors, it was a bit loud and kind of had a negative effect on the ambiance. We started with a cocktail each, which was very average for both of us. We ordered the melon and prosciutto appetizer, which I really enjoyed! Very tasty, though pretty skimpy on the prosciutto serving. For entrees, my boyfriend chose the picnic plate and I had the bouillabaisse. We were both extremely happy with our choices! My bouillabaisse was full of mussels, clams, shrimp, halibut and rock cod. It was really outstanding, a great recommendation from our server. My boyfriend commented that his picnic plate had the best fried chicken he's ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FoodbdubthnksDined on 7/11/2014The shrimp egg rolls were delectable! The picnic basket was divine! Small dining room but comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotkoalabearDined on 7/10/2014Food is great, staff great, very busy place but worth itSpecial Features: