399 The Embarcadero South
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterbarsf.com/
- Phone: 4152849922
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm,
Dinner: Sunday - Monday 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Tuesday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 11:30am - 2:30pm,
Our Bar Menu is served everyday from 2:00pm until closing.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Parke Ulrich
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Waterbar
Waterbar is a seafood-centric restaurant located on the waterfront with spectacular panoramic views of the bay and city skyline, exceptional design, and a menu of the freshest sustainable fish and seafood. Featuring stunning outdoor (dog-friendly) dining on the waterfront patio, a relaxed atmosphere and floor-to-ceiling circular aquariums filled with an eye-catching array of fish and marine life from the Pacific Ocean Waterbar is not to be missed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Waterbar - Best Restaurants in SOMA ›
Waterbar reviews from OpenTable diners
488 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (410)special occasion (300)fit for foodies (287)great for outdoor dining (233)romantic (214)notable wine list (157)hot spot (131)vibrant bar scene (122)great for lunch (119)good for groups (103)neighborhood gem (83)great for brunch (80)late-night find (35)kid-friendly (20)Show More
- Great food, great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/28/2014I love this place. It's where I like to take visitors from out of town, because the food is excellent, and the light show on the Bay Bridge makes for the perfect background. Really a great experience for visitors and locals alike.Special Features:
- Fabulous oystersDsigningwnVIPDined on 10/28/2014I've eaten here several times and I love the place but the back room seemed very, very loud on the night I was there. I couldn't tell if it was a large group but we were seated at a table directly in front of the 'wall' that separates rooms and it was distractingly loud. That's teally the only negative. It was hard to concentrate on my dining companion it was so loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2014From the moment we walked in to the moment we left we were taken care of. Nice hosts at door, a great server and support staff. Not to mention we had a great meal with a fab view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday MealHungryGuyVIPDined on 10/26/2014Our server, Eric S, was EXCELLENT and the plates were delicious! Eric was extremely knowledgeable, accommodating and upbeat. We were well taken care of. The pace of the meal was perfect. We ordered a variety of entrees and sides. Every single one was fantastic. Ditto on desserts. Could do without the snooty attitude at the host station before seating, although we did get an excellent table! What a wonderful special meal we had to celebrate our friend's birthday! This is a great spot for a special occasion.
- AwfulantiquetravlerVIPDined on 10/25/2014In 26 years of visiting SF this was the most dissapointing experience. It's too long to describe, but the mussles and fish were undercooked, portions were small, staff was cold, bar waiter was rude, the only star was the larger male host that sat us early at a lovely table. Other than that I was extremely dissapointed in the entire experience.Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014This restaurant was recommended to us by a friend who said that it had great seafood dishes. I made a reservation on-line which was super easy to do. When we got there we were impressed with the environment - beautiful views of the bridge and water, open kitchen, and large tanks of fish. The service was excellent and the food was amazing. This was our favorite restaurant that we ate at during our whole trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and viewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014A very nice evening enjoying the view and outstanding seafood.Special Features:
- Waterbar dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/25/2014This in an ideal place for a special occasion. The service is great, the fish offered unique with specific info on where it is from and how it was caught, for instance, caught on hook in Kona (impressive). Most impressive is the interior, which feels like it has been here for a very long time, due to the metal work, exposed reused bricks and subway tiling. The views are beautiful right next to the bay bridge light show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeVisitorDined on 10/24/2014I was on a trip to SF, and wanted to try a nice seafood place, it had good rating. The service and food was very good, however, the front staff at the door does not seem very welcoming. The place has very nice views of the water. I may come back again to sit outside.Special Features:
- Great date spotbrigantorVIPDined on 10/24/2014Views, aquariums, oysters! Great date night spot, multiple rooms and levels. Salt water aquariums are beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the top in San FranciscoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Although the service was a bit too quick at the start, it calmed down and became very careful and paying attention to our needs and preferences. We found the excellent fish we were expecting at affordable prices. Good space between tables and interesting view of the cooks brigade at work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waterbar is one-of-a-kind!EllenlVIPDined on 10/23/2014Amazing food with amazing views! Very talented chefs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatFoodietooDined on 10/21/2014Appetizer selection and tastes much better than entree. Overall flavours of entrees were just okay. Overpriced and small portions.Special Features:
- Awesome Views and Seafood!sanfranloverDined on 10/20/2014One of our favorite special occasion places! We also love to bring out of town guests to wow them with fresh oysters, aquariums, and the view of the Bay Bridge! A definite must if you haven't celebrated there yet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous ViewkrehVIPDined on 10/19/2014Been to Waterbar several times already. Great view and ambiance. Food was okay, nothing special to mention from this most recent visit. Staff is very attentive and we enjoyed our time there.
- Still my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/19/2014Never disappointed by the food, the service or the incredible view. All are outstanding. Best, freshest oysters in town as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the views!Roo2614Dined on 10/18/2014We have been to Waterbar repeatedly! We love the space, views, and the food. But in our last visit we thought the food was a hit and miss! The salad was nothing special, pork belly, we ha better. The main dishes were a bit above average. We loved the desserts!! We will go again, we hope the food will be a bit more like it used to be.Special Features:
- Delicious food and environmentBunnyVIPDined on 10/17/2014The food was spectacular, the decor and ambiance were great. Service could have been better, especially since we visited during a time when it wasn't too busy.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceCasualDinerDined on 10/17/2014The food, the staff, the view. Everything was amazing. It was a bit noisy inside, but my friend and I were having such a good time that it didn't matter. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal EVERChefBDined on 10/16/2014I am a frequent traveler as well as a foodie. I have eaten at the finest restaurants in Charleston, Las Vegas, Boston, and I live in Atlanta...need I say more. Hands down this was the best restaurant and meal ever. Everything was perfect from the drinks to the service. I never dine at many restaurants more than once, but I will dine here every time I visit San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunny Surprise!DebbEVIPDined on 10/13/2014Lunch on the terrace, full view of the Bay & the Bridge! No surprise on the the Embarcadero! But the food...creative, unquie, interesting! Everyone in our party sharing bites because they clearly had the best offer on the menu! That doesn't happen very often, where everyone is thrilled with their dish. Bravo, Waterbar!Special Features:
- NikkipDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I had a delicious dinner at Waterbar. We were seated by the window so we had a beautiful view of the Bay Bridge. It was a spectacular, clear night. Our waitress was very knowledgeable about the gluten free needs I have. The fish was prepared perfectly and they have an excellent choice of oysters. We had a wonderful evening and will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The cost was high for the food.CoastsideDined on 10/11/2014The veal Shank and sashimi were not very good. The opakapaka presentation was unattractive.Special Features:
- Excellent choicecmbnovaVIPDined on 10/11/2014We've been here before and the food has always been very consistent. Had some great oysters...great wine... Also tried the grilled calamari which was excellent. Always a good choice. Service top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mosaDined on 10/10/2014we had a wonderful experience, the food was delicious, the ambiance fabulous (view on the bay bridge!!) and the service was excellent!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch during Fleet WeekSecondandhowardDined on 10/8/2014Great patio dining. View of the water, and of the people passing by on the Embarcadero. Oysters outstanding. Waiter helpful, knowledgeable and attentive. Wonderful escape from the construction din of SOMA, if only for an hour!Special Features:
- TammyTammyVIPDined on 10/6/2014We came for dinner Monday night for my daughters 21 st birthday. We have ate at Waterbar many times before and this was not the best! Actually, disappointing. Our waiter was not up to par with your normal service. Everyone else dressed in the normal black and he had a dingy white shirt. Seemed almost like he was a bus boy filling in. He took our drink order and atleast 15 min later our drinks arrived. Then we had to wait for him to come back and take our appitzer order, at that time he took our dinner order. We had taken the last bite of our oysters and here is our main course! He never asked if we'd like another drink...I could go on but, I won't. Don't know if we'll be back. Very disappointing!Special Features:
- Great viewHmforbinmoDined on 10/6/2014If you are looking for a spot with a great view in San Fran, this is ideal. Had a very nice lunch here and enjoyed watching the Giants fans stroll to the game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect view for lunchMarloJDVIPDined on 10/6/2014Wonderful view during lunch from the Patio. Weather was perfect, lawn party cocktails were wonderful, and the menu was full of delicious choices. We opted to share a few entrees (salmon and apple appetizer, steak, and shrimp cocktail). Will be back on a beautiful day to take in the view and the cocktails!Special Features:
- Fleet Week Arrival ViewingDavidVIPDined on 10/6/2014As a long-time WB patron, I had one of the best days sitting on the patio eating oysters, sipping great wine and watching the first aircraft carrier come in under the Bay Bridge for Fleet Week. Outstanding made better by being at WB!Special Features:
- If you love oysters...Kidschauffeur22Dined on 10/5/2014We started our anniversary dinner with a rude welcome by the host. Hoping the meal would be better we looked for an app. If you love oysters, they have an extensive selection. Very small entree menu. We ordered the Hawaiian snapper and the Ono. Ono good. Snapper bad, very chewy and sinewy.... Awful. In fact the couple next to us sent both of theirs back too. The manager comped our dessert but not the fish? I love dessert! Flan was just OK not creamy. Our waiter was attentive and knowledgeable. Will not return due to expensive mediocre dinner.Special Features:
- Good experience as usual but.....DerbenoDined on 10/4/2014Prosecco, appetizer, entree and service was all as expected having dined here many times before. I made a booking 3 weeks in advance with the request for a window table for the view of the bridge, as my sister and her friend were visiting from London UK. We were given a table in front of the open kitchen with a busy walkway in between.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent but noisyMaryDined on 10/4/2014Disappointed in noise and placement in back room window table next to two large groups of 12 . I had made reservation 3 weeks in advance .Food and service great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceJulieDined on 10/2/2014We had a wonderful time and Jason was very helpful, when we got there late. Food was very good!Special Features:
- Great restaurant!DaniDined on 10/2/2014Beautiful view and a busy bar scene. Food was good and service was great:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our anniversaryLuv2travlDined on 10/2/2014The good was great. Oysters were fabulous. The view is perfect if you. Are lucky enough to get one. We had booked online for our anniversary weeks prior and requested a view preferably patio. We weren't so lucky. We were in the middle of the restaurant blocked by the fish tank with limited views. This was disappointing. Service was not excellent. We waited for service after the dinner part for quite some time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackKDined on 10/2/2014It sucked royally! It sucked royally! It sucked royally!
- Beautiful views and great food tooBudMVIPDined on 10/1/2014Very nice seafood restaurant with broad selection of great food. Would definitely come back again.Special Features:
- Waterbar @ SF Embarcaderolukechung1956Dined on 10/1/2014Terrific dining experience for my friend and me...we enjoyed raw oysters, scallops, roast mushroom puree soup and main courses of sole and steak. Desserts were delicious and the ambiance & service were first-rate...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning!FoodieFromAmadorDined on 9/30/2014What a treasure this place is...spectacular views of the Bay Bridge, beautiful interior design, fabulous service and exciting and innovative fare! Highly recommend Waterbar!Special Features: