399 The Embarcadero South
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterbarsf.com/
- Phone: 4152849922
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm,
Dinner: Sunday - Monday 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Tuesday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 11:30am - 2:30pm,
Our Bar Menu is served everyday from 2:00pm until closing.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Parke Ulrich
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Waterbar
Waterbar is a seafood-centric restaurant located on the waterfront with spectacular panoramic views of the bay and city skyline, exceptional design, and a menu of the freshest sustainable fish and seafood. Featuring stunning outdoor (dog-friendly) dining on the waterfront patio, a relaxed atmosphere and floor-to-ceiling circular aquariums filled with an eye-catching array of fish and marine life from the Pacific Ocean Waterbar is not to be missed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Waterbar - Best Restaurants in SOMA ›
Waterbar reviews from OpenTable diners
495 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (427)special occasion (297)fit for foodies (272)great for outdoor dining (228)romantic (200)notable wine list (146)great for lunch (137)vibrant bar scene (134)hot spot (124)great for brunch (95)good for groups (94)neighborhood gem (66)late-night find (38)kid-friendly (24)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2014Waiters are very friendly, although forgetful at times--asked for more bread and he never gave us any.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Had a great dinner here for our two year anniversary. Our server was excellent and fun, and the oysters were fantastic.Special Features:
- San Francisco viewDaphneDined on 8/25/2014Great place to take someone who is visiting San Francisco for the first time. Request the outdoor patio if the weather is good - Has a beautiful and commanding view of the Bay Bridge. Great service and ambience. Food was just so-so, but it's the view you come here for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable LunchSFFoodLoverVIPDined on 8/25/2014A colleague and I ate here for lunch. He was wild about his meal and so happy. I was fine with mine, but nowhere as happy as him. He got some oysters to begin and then 3 course fixed price lunch, which also included an oyster po boy. He loved every bite of all of the food. I got the watermelon salad to start. There were tiny fried shrimp on top, which did not go with the dish. I pushed them aside. The dish was underseasoned. The rainbow trout was my main dish and it was beautifully presented, but again, the various elements of the dish didn't go together very well. The fish was light, but the elements underneath were heavy and stew-like. Our server was great and fun and the restaurant treated us really well.Special Features:
- Kitchen disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/24/2014We had high hopes having eaten at Waterbar on our visit to San Francisco last year. The oysters were superb but sadly the rest of food, everything prepared by the kitchen, missed the mark badly. We had seared tuna that was so overcooked that my wife sent it back. My stuffed sole was rubbery and tasteless. Next to us another couple waited an hour and a half for their food even then it was not done right. The view of the bridge is amazing but cannot recommend anything other than oysters to order.Special Features:
- Waterbar - What a find!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2014Needed to play tour guide for family visiting from SoCal who wanted to see San Francisco last Sunday. We were also celebrating a couple birthdays, so I researched restaurants looking for something that would leave an everlasting memory for all of us. I wanted something with an awesome view, a great ambience, and wonderful food. So I booked the Waterbar, which had rave reviews and had won quite a few foodie awards. Our waitress, Sophie, was fantastic...super down to earth...and very knowledgeable and helpful. The entire dining experience was so amazing, that I made out like a hero finding this place! We will definitely be back and will recommend the Waterbar to all our friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dallasdesignerDined on 8/23/2014I cannot say enough good things about this restaurant! It was by far my favorite place that we dined in San Francisco this year! The raw bar is excellent! I had the Halibut and it was incredible! Our waitress was really super nice and informative! The whole dining experience was truly wonderful! We will go back!Special Features:
- Consistently goodDsander48VIPDined on 8/23/2014If you are looking for a place with a spectacular view of the Bay Bridge then look no further. If you are looking for a raw bar then stop by. If you are looking for wonderfully prepared fish then you have found your place. The Turbot and Halibut were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining with a view!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Great way to end our trip to San Francisco. Great food, wine and service and fabulous view of the Bay Bridge! The halibut and ribs were delicious! Will definitely be back next time we visit San Fran.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waterbar Meets ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Arrived 15 minutes early for 1:00pm reservation and we were seated immediately. Not exactly a "view" table, but we came for the food! We were initially disappointed with what we perceived to be limited number of selections for lunch at Waterbar. However, after receiving detailed information regarding menu items, our anxieties evaporated. Started with one dozen of the chef's selection oysters; a little pricey but excellent! Halibut ceviche was shared and we contemplated ordering a second as this dish was outstanding. Our entrée selections, based on recommendations and descriptions form our server, were also wonderful. Service was seamless in spite of the fact that the restaurant appeared to be full. Waterbar certainly met expectationsSpecial Features:
- Lunch on the BayOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/22/2014Had originally planned to celebrate a birthday dinner over looking the Bay Bridge but United had other ideas. Oh well, changed booking to lunch the following day. As weather was outstanding, the patio was the place to be. Right on the water front. Oysters are certainly a specialty, of which we had to have few of both the daily special (great pricing) and a few chef selects. Followed with a Salmon tarte which was also outstanding. As it was lunch we shared a main, selection a fish which didn't disappoint. Gluten free was supported the staff went over and beyond to make the birthday lunch a special event.Special Features:
- Uncomfortably loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014The fish was the best I'd ever consumed, but the experience was offset by the cacophonous noise level. Further, we left hungry, unable to lift ourselves to the prices asked in order to sate ourselves. I recommend to try it once to learn what fish can achieve, but come prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014We love, love, love the Waterbar, although this was the first time we sat in the other old-style dining room --- low ceilings, dark timbers, still very cozy but without much of a view. Everything we ordered was excellent: corn soup, soft shell crab starters, oysters, ahi tuna (salt was a little heavy). The restaurant prepared a very nice vegetarian plate for my daughter. Definitely our go-to place for a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in SFECRichVIPDined on 8/17/2014Wife and I enjoyed the meal and the service. Wife had the Halibut which was excellent and I had the Sole with the fennel. Both were excellent and we shared a side of the Brussels sprouts. Would definitely go back again when in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hoping it was just an "off" eveningBTC415VIPDined on 8/16/2014Normally the food is delightful, as is the atmosphere. However, this night the food was just ok, not great. My starter's mix of flavors clashed and the seared ahi tuni was left on a little too long on the grill and somewhat overcooked, but then left out so that it arrived at the table cold.
- Great aesthetic, food was okayKevMoDined on 8/16/2014The environment at Waterbar is excellent, great views of the bay and bay bridge (especially nice at night), our server was outstanding. The food was okay not great. They seem to favor some odd combinations which might be nice for a hard core foodie, but for us, not so much. I will say that I had the house made sorbet with Black berry sauce and that was heavenly. All in all a nice time, but this was for my wife's birthday so I was hoping for something a little better.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencemarsbearDined on 8/16/2014We had a great time taking our friends to lunch and we all enjoyed it. We were not rushed at all. Our waitress was friendly & helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Water Bar may be losing its touchNicolasVIPDined on 8/15/2014I've dined here dozens of times over the last few years and sad to report that my last visit was lackluster with only a couple of highlights. First the good news: great service, wine list and cocktails. Oysters are fresh and many varieties are available though a bit pricey. Bad news: starters were ordinary: softshell crab in a wrap of some sort? Ribs and octopus? Overly seasoned and worthy of the Wharf...not Pat Kuleto. Main course: we all had fish...over-salted and the dumplings that accompanied were tough to chew and undercooked. Will think again before I revisit.Special Features:
- Loved the whole experiencefreddyTDined on 8/15/2014Usually places with great views don't deliver in the foof department. Not the case at Waterbar. Our food was fresh, delicious and beautiful. Or waiter wad also great. -- friendly, funny and anticipating of our needs. His service was fast and efficient but never stuffy or overbearing. We loved the whole experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Star Food with a View to Die ForWhale123Dined on 8/15/2014Lovely evening-the hostess was warm, welcoming, and sat us at the perfect table with a view of the SF bay on one side and an aquarium brimming with fish on the other. The martinis were perfectly mixed and the wine list was vast. The food was amazing-wonderful oysters, an incredibly fresh crab cocktail, and the main course of halibut was perfectly seasoned with a unique blend of flavors-garbanzo beans, peppers, southwest spices and avocado. The desert of frozen chocolate mousse/rasberry sorbet/topped with a chocolate sculpture was a work of art. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable and never made us feel rushed. After a beautiful sunset, we enjoyed the twinkling lights of the Bay Bridge come to life!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!traveler1tVIPDined on 8/15/2014This was our 5th time at Waterbar and it didn't disappoint. The lunch offerings are innovative, delicious, and enough variety on the menu to please everyone. I had the Halibut cerviche and found it excellent, as good as the Ahi cerviche I have in Honolulu. My wife had the fixe prix special--melon salad, pork ribs, and a great desert. She loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/14/2014Waterbar was excellent. We had a great table, our server was professional, helpful and attentive and the food was awesome. Great setting as well. We had a really nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10+'th visit; worst so farOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014reservation made at 945pm; arrived at 925pm and sat at the bar since then; wasn't able to get seated until 9:55pm; yet there are 4+ empty tables in the inner room and, we were seated in a table right next to a 10+ person group; noise, staring, unnecessary eye contact, u name itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were fantastickdtampaDined on 8/13/2014Tuesday dinner with kids (9 and 11) while on vacation. Wait staff could not have been better with the kids, from multi-page activity packet to early delivery of their dinners while mom and dad enjoyed wine and figured out dinner. The halibut was cooked perfectly, but the calamari and short rib combo app was the favorite. I will definitely return when I am back in SF for business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeniordinersDined on 8/13/2014We have dined at Waterbar several times. It was outstanding as always. The extra touches with service (bringing extra spoons so dessert could be shared even though not requested) are very nice.Special Features:
- Absolutely outstandingIowanOnVacationDined on 8/10/2014Food, service, and scenery at night with the Bay Bridge Light Show in the background are second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food & view of Bay BridgeIllbebackDined on 8/10/2014The food, service, view and drinks were absolutely great! Had the Blue fish which was perfectly cooked and had a very unique sauce. The soft crab app was excellent and everyone should have a couple oysters while you wait!! They are superb! Price vs. value is there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experience!bayareaExplorerDined on 8/9/2014I took my wife here for our 15th anniversary, we're new to the area so didn't know what I was getting into…but loved it! great ambience, amazing food and a brilliant view of the bay area..it seemed like we were sitting right under it. The staff knowing it was a special occasion for us were extra nice. A couple we just met at the bar while waiting for our table ended up paying for our dessert!! People here are really nice :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent location, foodSeafoodDined on 8/9/2014This place has everything. Food: long choice of oysters, well-described, served fresh; 5-6 type of fish. Service: very good, we had large group, waiter was courteous, knew his staff, and was able to describe different kind if fish choices well,misheard one order due to noise level, food was delivered simultaneously to everybody and dishes were delivered correctly. Location: right underneath Bay Bridge, one of the best places to dine if you are out of town, provides plenty of view for taking pictures and enjoy San FranciscoSpecial Features:
- A San Francisco GemjoselDined on 8/9/2014The crab cocktail is always outstanding at Waterbar. I love the convenience of valet parking, the views are amazing and the wait staff knowledgeable and efficient. We also ordered the stuffed squash blossom appetizer on a bed of heirloom tomatoes and cubed cucumber beautiful presentation and so of the moment.Special Features:
- WaterbarThebeatDined on 8/8/2014Food was very good. We waited a very, very long time for our lunch. We had reservations at 1:15 for a Friday afternoon.Had to wait a short while which was fine. Niece did receive her order from child's menu quickly. Must've taken at least another 30 min. before we received ours. Food was delicious, but by 2 pm we were more than ready to eat. Waitress was nowhere in sight. I asked another waiter to check on our order.Special Features:
- GreatmealDined on 8/7/2014We had a fabulous experience: our waiter was terrific, the menu was great, and our meals were excellent - great presentation and flavours. This is one of the best restaurants I have been to and I dine out a lot: I will definitely be coming back the next time I'm in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmadaVIPDined on 8/5/2014Heard others tell me this is their favorite restaurant...but I was disappointed! Service was great. Mussels were great. Prolly need to stick to seafood because the tri tip steak was tough and mediocre in flavor! The vegetables around the steak saved the meal. Desserts are a must!Special Features:
- Fantastic Food, Views, ServiceInExileVIPDined on 8/5/2014Everyone at Waterbar works to ensure each meal is a masterpiece. They take their product very seriously and it shows: flawless service, immaculate surroundings, excellent food. Truly a class act from start to finish.Special Features:
- CdmpattyDined on 8/4/2014A not-to-be-missed dining experience in San Francisco and right under the light show on the Bay Bridge. It was a highlight!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected Wonderful ExperienceSWT17Dined on 8/4/2014After much research into the SF Dining choices, I settled on this for not only the view but for the highly rated seafood. We had reservations at 6:15 on our 30th wedding anniversary (8/4/14) but decided to do a lunch instead. It was wonderful from the time we walked in the door to leaving well after the lunch menu (and kitchen) had ended. Our server was Edgar Z. He is all class handling questions, making suggestions, and taking care of any request. All staff was excellent. Although we were somewhat regretful we could not make the evening reservation due to transportation problems (commuting by ferry to/from Oakland), there is no question the view of the East Bay bridge was fantastic. We will be back! Unexpected wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Angelgirl1133Dined on 8/3/2014Waterbar's service blows me away every time. They accommodated our request for a table near the window and our out of town guests where thrilled! Compliments to the chef - the meals were outstanding, as was the service, as usual!Special Features:
- Great fishOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/3/2014Outstanding fish, but overpriced and way too much noise.Special Features:
- Inconsistent food and poor servicedajjVIPDined on 8/3/2014I'd recommend Waterbar if you're interested in the daily dollar oyster deal. Oysters are 1.05 a piece and that's a great deal. That's why I returned to the Waterbar a second time. Unfortunately, service is very spotty. The first time I went service was noticeably slow (slower than a restaurant trying to create a relaxed lunch atmosphere). The second time was noticeably slow again. The waiter (although very nice) brought the wrong beer and had to be reminded to about my lemonade. The oysters (27 of them) took an unusually long time. I initially thought they were trying to time the oysters so that they'd be served at the same time as our friends' entrees. However, they ended up coming at different times.
- Disappointing Dining Experiencejbw911Dined on 8/1/2014Having had a great previous dining experience, I was very disappointed with my last experience. We were seated in the auxiliary section even though we made a reservation well in advance, which is a stark room that doesn’t compare to the main dining area. A family with 3 screaming kids was seated next to us, who proceeded to cry the entire evening. We ordered a drink called “smoke on the water”, which tasted like you were drinking an ash tray. The fish was good, but not great. The fried green tomatoes were excellent, but certainly not worth going back for, based on all the other issues.