399 The Embarcadero South
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterbarsf.com/
- Phone: 4152849922
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm,
Dinner: Sunday - Monday 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Tuesday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 11:30am - 2:30pm,
Our Bar Menu is served everyday from 2:00pm until closing.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Parke Ulrich
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Waterbar
Waterbar is a seafood-centric restaurant located on the waterfront with spectacular panoramic views of the bay and city skyline, exceptional design, and a menu of the freshest sustainable fish and seafood. Featuring stunning outdoor (dog-friendly) dining on the waterfront patio, a relaxed atmosphere and floor-to-ceiling circular aquariums filled with an eye-catching array of fish and marine life from the Pacific Ocean Waterbar is not to be missed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Waterbar - Best Restaurants in SOMA ›
Waterbar reviews from OpenTable diners
493 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (423)special occasion (298)fit for foodies (270)great for outdoor dining (224)romantic (198)notable wine list (150)great for lunch (133)vibrant bar scene (126)hot spot (121)good for groups (94)great for brunch (91)neighborhood gem (72)late-night find (36)kid-friendly (24)Show More
- A little noisyMargotDined on 9/13/2014Definitely one to take overseas visitors to, as the view is amazing. However, if it's a romantic night you are after, perhaps somewhere quieter would be more suitable, as the music is a little too loud in their effort to be cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco's finestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014Our party of 5 were so impressed with the ambiance, food & service. We will definitely return & recommend to our friendsSpecial Features:
- iluvfoodDined on 9/13/2014We had a wonderful start to our empty nest lifestyle now at Waterbar. BEAUTIFUL location which was very easy to get to. Service was impeccable. Food DELICIOUS!! Sommelier was very helpful with our wine choice. Overall worth every penny for a wonderful night out dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JocelynJoshDined on 9/13/2014We always leave Waterbar with our palates satisfied. The food is exceptional, waitstaff attentive and friendly. The views are one of a kind. Was wonderfully surprised to see an old acquaintance, Peter Palmer. Waterbar is fortunate to have a sommelier of his caliber on their team! I highly recommend Waterbar to anyone who wishes an exceptional restaurant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for Business DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Very nice place for a business dinner. The service was a little slower and less attentive than expected, but still fine.Special Features:
- Ricardo the manager needs skillsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Form a line for a table .He was rude and unprofessional. When we finally sat and ordered our good took 1 hr.Special Features:
- Flies, flies, fliesMarcelDined on 9/10/2014Invited 2 potential business partners for dinner. Food and wine were fine, service nice. But... There were many, many little flies in the restaurant - that ended up in our wine and food. Honestly, I won't go back againSpecial Features:
- Too much oil & honey coated wineMaryDined on 9/10/2014Had dinner with 5 others on a Wednesday night. The waiter & service were great. Meals were ok. Carefully selected seafood -- I had the tuna -- it was loaded with so much oil along with the sides that it was difficult to eat because it was too rich & the natural flavors were drowned in oil. I requested a crisp french-style white wine--something that would pair well with the table selections & was served a honey coated wine that didn't pair well with the food. Disappointed with the food prep & wine selection all at a premium price. Not sure if I'll return anytime soon.Special Features:
- Beyond Expectations!FiveYearsDined on 9/10/2014We went there to celebrate my friends wedding, it was awesome! The oysters were delicious. The salad was exquisite. And, my albacore tuna was superb! Thank you for the moscato touch and caramel chocolate with sea salt. Yummy!Special Features:
- bay bridge by night... stunningxamtomcatDined on 9/9/2014They have 2 main food selection, appetizers and main courses. Me and my wife took 3 appetizers and 2 sides (like french fries and some beans... All was reinvented in a foodie way) it's awesome exploring the menu by tasting simple food reinvented in a great way by the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!EatwellDined on 9/9/2014We celebrated our Anniversary at the Waterbar and found everything was tasty and elegantly served. With a view of the water and a relaxed and comfortable setting we noted we could converse easily even in a fairly crowded restaurant. It is expensive inside and also has a patio with a bar menu that is musch less pricy. I noted families, singles and groups of people all enjoying themselves at this very busy place. Make sure you have reservation if you want to eat inside. We went on Thursday at 5:45 and it was crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magical placeeagleeyeVIPDined on 9/9/2014It's hard to beat the location, looking out at the bay and the vibrant energy of people on the Embarcadero. The cuisine is very good. The wine list is outstanding, and we've always had very fine servers here. The servers are helpful with suggestions and are good at responding to special requirements. One can't be in a hurry to eat here though as there can be time lags between seating and initial contact, as well as order and delivery of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014Great food and service. Made a special occasion even more special. Amazing attention to details.Special Features:
- Giant Fish Tanks in a Seafood Gem!ShaftVIPDined on 9/7/2014OK, this is not a cheap restaurant. But we in San Francisco will pay more IF we get more. I don't mean more food, the portions are just right. Great seafood, well cooked, with some creative flair. Service that was very appropriate. We were not smothered, and we did not get a generic, "Is everything OK with the food?" Instead, a bit more personal, "How's that halibut, is cooked just how you wanted it?" We took a couple from out of town. The view of the Bay Bridge, the fish tanks, the food and service WOW'd them!Special Features:
- Should have been so much betterVitchick707VIPDined on 9/7/2014We should have had such a better experience at Waterbar. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was breathtaking. Our service was so bad, we all thought this May have been our seever's first shift on the job. Dietary restrictions were forgotten, orders were forgotten, incorrect orders were brought out, and we were charged for all mistakes. The bill was $100/person for a painful experience.Special Features:
- Great View and Food!UpfromSantaCruzDined on 9/7/2014One of our favorite places to dine and relax after taking in a show. The fish tank towers are fun to watch as are the lights on the Bay Bridge at night. We always enjoy the wonderful appetizers and main dish selections. The service is fantastic and we never feel rushed like they want to hurry and flip the table. The oyster selection is wonderful and we always try the sampler plate. The wine selection is very broad and they will help pair the wine with your food selection. You can't go wrong with any of the fresh fish main dishes with their sauces too. We always get a few side dished such as the corn, peppers and fries. The dining experience does not get much better than this!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- buttersDined on 9/6/2014Food was very good, but it was the views that made the place a great experience. Loved the tall pillar like fish tanks and beautiful view of the bridge. Service was friendly but the food took a while, so don't go totally starving.Special Features:
- Amazing viewsGoGiantsDined on 9/5/2014Fantastic ambiance, one of a kind views, great food and they dont rush you. Clean environment with a really great staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a disappointmentKarenVIPDined on 9/5/2014One might be rewarded by lining up for an outdoor table at Waterbar and then enjoying a drink and the happy hour oysters. The noise level will be more tolerable and the view of the Bay Bridge will also be superior. Otherwise one risks a great deal of cash and great disappointment. Our party found the food to be mediocre. And worse, it was served with attitude in micro portions at sky- scraping prices. If the staff had displayed some sense of hospitality, I might consider returning for that drink on the terrace.Special Features:
- Front door staff - rudeMajtaylorDined on 9/5/2014We had a great experience at the Waterbar, once we got by the rude guy at the door. Made us feel unwelcome and unimportant. After that we had a great meal in a fantastic location with really good service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location!JudyDined on 9/4/2014Love the location and ambiance. I 've also always had good service. The food has always been Well-prepared and beautifully presented. However, the recipes are not always to my liking so I have to query the waiter as to the preparation of the dishes. (Ie: I don't like sweet sauces w/ fish or want crispy soft shell crab to be served in a stew...but that's just me.) The desserts are great! And, of course, the oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food - beautiful viewluvbowsDined on 9/3/2014Seafood is excellent. Normally we have been seated below which is much quieter. This time we were seated closer to bar area which is extremely noisy plus seeing the open kitchen and all the hustle and bustle didn't make for a relaxed atmosphere. Service was good. Each time we ordered a wine they were out!!Special Features:
- Superior RestaurantgeoootDined on 9/1/2014We go to Waterbar about once a month. This time we ordered all appetizers. They were spectacular, especially the donuts!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic RestaurantTJTBDined on 8/31/2014The first thing that strikes you as you enter Waterbar is the fantastic view of the San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge. We're ate brunch here and the service was efficient and friendly. This is an expensive restaurant - we paid about $150 for brunch for 2, including cocktails and service - but is good value: oyster of the day is a steal at $1.05.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014A wonderful restaurant to take visitors from out of state. Beautiful view of the Bay Bridge!Special Features:
- Birthday lunchxdanvilleiteDined on 8/30/2014Awesome location....awesome oysters. We love it hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experience!Easy2plezDined on 8/29/2014One of my favorite restaurants in SF. Fine dining with relaxed feel.Special Features:
- Excellent in every wayRichDined on 8/28/2014Food, service and ambiance was a 10. Why did I wait so long to go there?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JJWaterbarDined on 8/28/2014Outstanding lunch in all respects. The ribs are awesome and Pete and Pat and Arron are wonderful people. I recommend Waterbar with the highest recommendationSpecial Features:
- Top of SFAndreaDined on 8/26/2014Top view of Bay Bridge, large sea food and fish choice, elegant charme. A little bit expensive but in line with the quality service and location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2014Waiters are very friendly, although forgetful at times--asked for more bread and he never gave us any.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerMMTNDined on 8/25/2014Had a great dinner here for our two year anniversary. Our server was excellent and fun, and the oysters were fantastic.Special Features:
- San Francisco viewDaphneDined on 8/25/2014Great place to take someone who is visiting San Francisco for the first time. Request the outdoor patio if the weather is good - Has a beautiful and commanding view of the Bay Bridge. Great service and ambience. Food was just so-so, but it's the view you come here for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable LunchSFFoodLoverVIPDined on 8/25/2014A colleague and I ate here for lunch. He was wild about his meal and so happy. I was fine with mine, but nowhere as happy as him. He got some oysters to begin and then 3 course fixed price lunch, which also included an oyster po boy. He loved every bite of all of the food. I got the watermelon salad to start. There were tiny fried shrimp on top, which did not go with the dish. I pushed them aside. The dish was underseasoned. The rainbow trout was my main dish and it was beautifully presented, but again, the various elements of the dish didn't go together very well. The fish was light, but the elements underneath were heavy and stew-like. Our server was great and fun and the restaurant treated us really well.Special Features:
- Kitchen disappointsSteveNatVIPDined on 8/24/2014We had high hopes having eaten at Waterbar on our visit to San Francisco last year. The oysters were superb but sadly the rest of food, everything prepared by the kitchen, missed the mark badly. We had seared tuna that was so overcooked that my wife sent it back. My stuffed sole was rubbery and tasteless. Next to us another couple waited an hour and a half for their food even then it was not done right. The view of the bridge is amazing but cannot recommend anything other than oysters to order.Special Features:
- Waterbar - What a find!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2014Needed to play tour guide for family visiting from SoCal who wanted to see San Francisco last Sunday. We were also celebrating a couple birthdays, so I researched restaurants looking for something that would leave an everlasting memory for all of us. I wanted something with an awesome view, a great ambience, and wonderful food. So I booked the Waterbar, which had rave reviews and had won quite a few foodie awards. Our waitress, Sophie, was fantastic...super down to earth...and very knowledgeable and helpful. The entire dining experience was so amazing, that I made out like a hero finding this place! We will definitely be back and will recommend the Waterbar to all our friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dallasdesignerDined on 8/23/2014I cannot say enough good things about this restaurant! It was by far my favorite place that we dined in San Francisco this year! The raw bar is excellent! I had the Halibut and it was incredible! Our waitress was really super nice and informative! The whole dining experience was truly wonderful! We will go back!Special Features:
- Outstanding Seafood in S.F.aCulinarianDined on 8/23/2014Upon entering you can’t help but noticing the attractive vibe. Our server, Nick, was very skillful. We devoured a half dozen of the Toten Inlet oysters from the vast menu selection. A smart wine list is well matched to the cuisine. The crab bisque was rich and creamy. Dive into the Kampachi Sashimi, an outstanding preparation. Don’t miss the Ricotta Doughnuts with American caviar. The cured King Salmon “Pastrami” shows the deftness of the talented kitchen staff. An entree of fennel stuffed Petrale Sole was moist and cooked perfectly. We were hooked on two desserts: a Kadota Fig vol-au-vent with sweet chevre and, the frozen Chocolate Mousse with raspberry sorbet. Recommend Waterbar to your friends and they will undoubtedly thank you.Special Features:
- Consistently goodDsander48VIPDined on 8/23/2014If you are looking for a place with a spectacular view of the Bay Bridge then look no further. If you are looking for a raw bar then stop by. If you are looking for wonderfully prepared fish then you have found your place. The Turbot and Halibut were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining with a view!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Great way to end our trip to San Francisco. Great food, wine and service and fabulous view of the Bay Bridge! The halibut and ribs were delicious! Will definitely be back next time we visit San Fran.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.