399 The Embarcadero South
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterbarsf.com/
- Phone: 4152849922
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm,
Dinner: Sunday - Monday 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Tuesday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 11:30am - 2:30pm,
Our Bar Menu is served everyday from 2:00pm until closing.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Parke Ulrich
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Waterbar
Waterbar is a seafood-centric restaurant located on the waterfront with spectacular panoramic views of the bay and city skyline, exceptional design, and a menu of the freshest sustainable fish and seafood. Featuring stunning outdoor (dog-friendly) dining on the waterfront patio, a relaxed atmosphere and floor-to-ceiling circular aquariums filled with an eye-catching array of fish and marine life from the Pacific Ocean Waterbar is not to be missed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Waterbar - Best Restaurants in SOMA ›
Waterbar reviews from OpenTable diners
488 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (411)special occasion (299)fit for foodies (282)great for outdoor dining (233)romantic (211)notable wine list (153)hot spot (129)vibrant bar scene (122)great for lunch (121)good for groups (96)neighborhood gem (83)great for brunch (81)late-night find (36)kid-friendly (19)Show More
- Gorgeous ViewkrehVIPDined on 10/19/2014Been to Waterbar several times already. Great view and ambiance. Food was okay, nothing special to mention from this most recent visit. Staff is very attentive and we enjoyed our time there.
- Still my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/19/2014Never disappointed by the food, the service or the incredible view. All are outstanding. Best, freshest oysters in town as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the views!Roo2614Dined on 10/18/2014We have been to Waterbar repeatedly! We love the space, views, and the food. But in our last visit we thought the food was a hit and miss! The salad was nothing special, pork belly, we ha better. The main dishes were a bit above average. We loved the desserts!! We will go again, we hope the food will be a bit more like it used to be.Special Features:
- Delicious food and environmentBunnyVIPDined on 10/17/2014The food was spectacular, the decor and ambiance were great. Service could have been better, especially since we visited during a time when it wasn't too busy.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceCasualDinerDined on 10/17/2014The food, the staff, the view. Everything was amazing. It was a bit noisy inside, but my friend and I were having such a good time that it didn't matter. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunny Surprise!DebbEVIPDined on 10/13/2014Lunch on the terrace, full view of the Bay & the Bridge! No surprise on the the Embarcadero! But the food...creative, unquie, interesting! Everyone in our party sharing bites because they clearly had the best offer on the menu! That doesn't happen very often, where everyone is thrilled with their dish. Bravo, Waterbar!Special Features:
- NikkipDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I had a delicious dinner at Waterbar. We were seated by the window so we had a beautiful view of the Bay Bridge. It was a spectacular, clear night. Our waitress was very knowledgeable about the gluten free needs I have. The fish was prepared perfectly and they have an excellent choice of oysters. We had a wonderful evening and will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The cost was high for the food.CoastsideDined on 10/11/2014The veal Shank and sashimi were not very good. The opakapaka presentation was unattractive.Special Features:
- Excellent choicecmbnovaVIPDined on 10/11/2014We've been here before and the food has always been very consistent. Had some great oysters...great wine... Also tried the grilled calamari which was excellent. Always a good choice. Service top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mosaDined on 10/10/2014we had a wonderful experience, the food was delicious, the ambiance fabulous (view on the bay bridge!!) and the service was excellent!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch during Fleet WeekSecondandhowardDined on 10/8/2014Great patio dining. View of the water, and of the people passing by on the Embarcadero. Oysters outstanding. Waiter helpful, knowledgeable and attentive. Wonderful escape from the construction din of SOMA, if only for an hour!Special Features:
- TammyTammyVIPDined on 10/6/2014We came for dinner Monday night for my daughters 21 st birthday. We have ate at Waterbar many times before and this was not the best! Actually, disappointing. Our waiter was not up to par with your normal service. Everyone else dressed in the normal black and he had a dingy white shirt. Seemed almost like he was a bus boy filling in. He took our drink order and atleast 15 min later our drinks arrived. Then we had to wait for him to come back and take our appitzer order, at that time he took our dinner order. We had taken the last bite of our oysters and here is our main course! He never asked if we'd like another drink...I could go on but, I won't. Don't know if we'll be back. Very disappointing!Special Features:
- Great viewHmforbinmoDined on 10/6/2014If you are looking for a spot with a great view in San Fran, this is ideal. Had a very nice lunch here and enjoyed watching the Giants fans stroll to the game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect view for lunchMarloJDVIPDined on 10/6/2014Wonderful view during lunch from the Patio. Weather was perfect, lawn party cocktails were wonderful, and the menu was full of delicious choices. We opted to share a few entrees (salmon and apple appetizer, steak, and shrimp cocktail). Will be back on a beautiful day to take in the view and the cocktails!Special Features:
- Fleet Week Arrival ViewingDavidVIPDined on 10/6/2014As a long-time WB patron, I had one of the best days sitting on the patio eating oysters, sipping great wine and watching the first aircraft carrier come in under the Bay Bridge for Fleet Week. Outstanding made better by being at WB!Special Features:
- If you love oysters...Kidschauffeur22Dined on 10/5/2014We started our anniversary dinner with a rude welcome by the host. Hoping the meal would be better we looked for an app. If you love oysters, they have an extensive selection. Very small entree menu. We ordered the Hawaiian snapper and the Ono. Ono good. Snapper bad, very chewy and sinewy.... Awful. In fact the couple next to us sent both of theirs back too. The manager comped our dessert but not the fish? I love dessert! Flan was just OK not creamy. Our waiter was attentive and knowledgeable. Will not return due to expensive mediocre dinner.Special Features:
- Good experience as usual but.....DerbenoDined on 10/4/2014Prosecco, appetizer, entree and service was all as expected having dined here many times before. I made a booking 3 weeks in advance with the request for a window table for the view of the bridge, as my sister and her friend were visiting from London UK. We were given a table in front of the open kitchen with a busy walkway in between.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent but noisyMaryDined on 10/4/2014Disappointed in noise and placement in back room window table next to two large groups of 12 . I had made reservation 3 weeks in advance .Food and service great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceJulieDined on 10/2/2014We had a wonderful time and Jason was very helpful, when we got there late. Food was very good!Special Features:
- Great restaurant!DaniDined on 10/2/2014Beautiful view and a busy bar scene. Food was good and service was great:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our anniversaryLuv2travlDined on 10/2/2014The good was great. Oysters were fabulous. The view is perfect if you. Are lucky enough to get one. We had booked online for our anniversary weeks prior and requested a view preferably patio. We weren't so lucky. We were in the middle of the restaurant blocked by the fish tank with limited views. This was disappointing. Service was not excellent. We waited for service after the dinner part for quite some time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackKDined on 10/2/2014It sucked royally! It sucked royally! It sucked royally!
- Beautiful views and great food tooBudMVIPDined on 10/1/2014Very nice seafood restaurant with broad selection of great food. Would definitely come back again.Special Features:
- Waterbar @ SF Embarcaderolukechung1956Dined on 10/1/2014Terrific dining experience for my friend and me...we enjoyed raw oysters, scallops, roast mushroom puree soup and main courses of sole and steak. Desserts were delicious and the ambiance & service were first-rate...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning!FoodieFromAmadorDined on 9/30/2014What a treasure this place is...spectacular views of the Bay Bridge, beautiful interior design, fabulous service and exciting and innovative fare! Highly recommend Waterbar!Special Features:
- Happy anniversary!HappyDinerVIPDined on 9/30/2014My and I celebrated our anniversary there and it was special. Food was excellent - fresh, inventive, and delicious - service was attentive and friendly without being intrusive. Made for a very memorable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth visiting!JackieDined on 9/28/2014Great ambiance, amazing food, good service - definitely worth attending if visiting the City. Can't wait to visit again!Special Features:
- what a locationRobKVIPDined on 9/28/2014Great location on the Embarcadero right by the SF - Oakland Bay Bridge. Excellent and fresh seafood, nice ambiance and a fun and lively atmosphere.Special Features:
- Fantastic locationKkmaxDined on 9/27/2014The ambience and views are fantastic. The bay bridge with lighted verticals are gorgeous backdrop. The restaurant has floor to ceiling fish tanks that are very well kept. Food was impeccableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperienceBermudaKrisDined on 9/26/2014We had dinner at the Waterbar on our first night in San Fran - simply spectacular. The view together with the ambiance in the restaurant and the passion of the hosts made the evening one to remember. I only wish the weather had been a bit warmer as I longed to sit outside and enjoy the view of the bridge lights. All in all I definitely recommend and would return for a visit.Special Features:
- MichelleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014The food was very good! Full of flavor and great presentation. We all really enjoyed our meals. I had the Sable fish with hollandaise sauce, very yummy. My only complaint is that the apps were really small portions, not enough to share especially for the price. Crab legs for $28 three bites. Loved the scallops but you only get two for about $20. We will definitely go back, but now I know what to order. Loved the decor at night with the view of the bridge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a WinnerHappyDinerDined on 9/24/2014Have had dinner here and that was always great. For a change, I had a lunch date here and we both agreed that it's also a great lunch spot. Our food was delicious, especially the stuffed squash blossoms, the presentations were lovely without being overly fussy, and our waiter was fabulous. It was a pretty, sunny day and the bay was bustling with tankers coming and going, so the view was as dynamic as it is at night when the bridge is lit with the art installation. I love this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great location - service spottyGoodFoodDined on 9/23/2014Have been here many times. This last time the service was spotty. Served an appetizer and 20 minutes after they cleared the plate we were asking where our entrees were. Began by sitting in the bar enjoying catching up with an old friend. Was 1.5 hours early for a reservation but told them we'd be at the bar. Instead of grabbing us when a table opened in the main dinning area we were seated in the "dungeon" back room area. When asked to be reseated they told me it would be another 25 minutes. Crazy! Really poor attention by hostesses and waiters. I bring a lot of guest from out of town here and it is one of my favorite spots to go. Unfortunate.Special Features:
- suzanneVIPDined on 9/23/2014I found the service both at the bar and at the table to be very slow. At the bar, I arrived before my guests and it took about 10 minutes to get someone's attention to get a drink. At the table, our drink and food orders were taken quickly, but it took almost 1/2 hour to get appetizers and then another 1/2 hour to get entrees. Much too long a time - service staff were very nice but service was just too slow.Special Features:
- Good, not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/23/2014Service adequate, food good, view/ambience makes it worthwhile. Would go again....Special Features:
- Exceptional!GingerVIPDined on 9/22/2014Exceptional table service, menu and wine list. We go out of our way to visit when we are in San Francisco.Special Features:
- ExperienceJBDUVIPDined on 9/22/2014Very good dining experience. Highly recommended for fresh seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014Great food, great food, definitely coming back! Awesome seafood tower!Special Features:
- Lovely September EveningSftrixiDined on 9/21/2014Perfect for the out if town guests. A little noisy and of course I always want more main course choices, but all of the evenings choices were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great restaurantGrog42Dined on 9/21/2014My wife and I travelled to San Francisco to celebrate my wife's birthday. While there we wanted to got to a high quality restaurant and landed on the Water Bar. As the name suggest the restaurant is on the water with a view of the Oakland Bridge. At night the bridge is lit and creates a great view from the water bar. The service was attentive without being intrusive, the food was great and the wine list was very good. Put it all together and we had a great evening.Special Features: