399 The Embarcadero South
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterbarsf.com/
- Phone: (415) 284-9922
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm,
Dinner: Sunday - Monday 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Tuesday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 11:30am - 2:30pm,
Our Bar Menu is served everyday from 2:00pm until closing.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Parke Ulrich
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Waterbar
Waterbar is a seafood-centric restaurant located on the waterfront with spectacular panoramic views of the bay and city skyline, exceptional design, and a menu of the freshest sustainable fish and seafood. Featuring stunning outdoor (dog-friendly) dining on the waterfront patio, a relaxed atmosphere and floor-to-ceiling circular aquariums filled with an eye-catching array of fish and marine life from the Pacific Ocean Waterbar is not to be missed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Waterbar - Best Restaurants in SOMA ›
Waterbar reviews from OpenTable diners
453 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (375)fit for foodies (274)special occasion (272)great for outdoor dining (215)romantic (198)notable wine list (153)hot spot (121)great for lunch (103)vibrant bar scene (102)good for groups (91)neighborhood gem (75)great for brunch (67)late-night find (28)kid-friendly (19)Show More
- Wonderful evening at WaterbarbassladyDined on 11/21/2014We had a really lovely experience at Waterbar. Some members of our party were late due to problems with traffic and parking, but there was no hint of annoyance on the part of the staff. They filled our water glasses, offered us drinks, acted as if everything was fine. The food was fresh, beautifully prepared and delicious, and the service was attentive without being over-solicitous. All in all, a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad food for the pri$$$eOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/20/2014It's a nice looking restaurant with beautiful views but that's about it! Food is so-so and cery expensive. Me and my wife had the sablefish and whitefish and both were just so-so. Mussels were horrible. For the price I was expecting to be overwhelmed and obviosly it was a big dissapointement. Never again coming here.Special Features:
- Just okticorbeVIPDined on 11/19/2014No doubt the restaurant is beautiful and the views are amazing but the food doesn't match up. I had the Sablefish and it was just ok. Was swimming in broth and seemed to have been sitting in liquid for quite sometime. At these prices, the food should be outstanding. I will say however, the service was great!Special Features:
- wonderful experienceshoreVIPDined on 11/18/2014The food was delicious, the wines were outstanding and the staff were warm and knowledgeable. A great experience overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waterbar SFMoonTrekkerDined on 11/17/2014Outstanding location with a beautiful view of the bay and the Bay Bridge. Very attentive service. Fresh seafood menu changes daily. Valet parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply outstandingTripodDined on 11/16/2014I wanted to find an impressive restaurant to take my wife to whilst visiting SF. When I read previous reviews on this restaurant I thought this may have been a risk. However my experience was first class from the way we were greeted on arrival, the quality of the food, the buzz and the spectacular view. for a romantic night out, this was just perfect. Also coming from the UK, a bottle of Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc for under $70 is a steal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ViewAngieMDined on 11/15/2014Our reservation was for 9:30 pm, we were sitted at 10:00 pm. This was pretty late for dinner. However, once we were sitted and with the views of the bay bridge that are spectacular, it was an excellent way to spend our 28th anniversary. The Waterbar is heaven for Oyster lovers. They have a wide selection of oysters and the regions from where they are harvested. They have great selection of wine. The entrees are a bit limited, All in all, yes we would go back there again but only if we could get an early dinner reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2014Wonderful food, Good service, great View. Good Wine list. One of the best views in San Fran.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafood restaurant in the city!frequent000fravelerVIPDined on 11/14/2014What is not to like, the view overlooking the bay and bay bridge, the food and service are all as good as it gets. My out of town guests loved it, it was their idea of a San Francisco night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine loverKatzDined on 11/11/2014If you love wine you will love the wine list here. Fabulous choices. The service was excellent from the very first moment we walked in the door. We felt very special, can't say that much anymore. The food ws yummy and artfully presented. We are definitely coming back. At night this time to see the lights from the bridge, would be beautiful.Special Features:
- Absolute perfectionEricVIPDined on 11/10/2014Start to finish perfection. The oysters of the day were amazing, the ahi sashimi was delighful, I had the Ono, and my friend had the steak. Delicious. The view was something out of a movie or magazine. The service was stellar, complete with visits from the manager ensuring the food and expericence was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceLovetotravelDined on 11/9/2014This place is nice restaurant overlooking the bridge. The food was well presented and delicious. Its not cheap tough. Staff was friendly and service was good. Overall we enjoy it, would recommend it specially if you are into sea food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a Wonderful Time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Thank you to an amazing time. My friend's birthday was perfect. The staff was spot on!!!! Food was great!Special Features:
- Everything excellent !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Everything was great : oysters, view, a very nice server knowing perfectly the different origin of each oysters ! A very good white californian Wine. A bit cold on the terrace. Thanks ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect DinnertxbrennaDined on 11/8/2014Waterbar is an excellent restaurant. Wonderful food- local, seasonal, sustainable and delicious. Although the menu changes daily, the mussels and octopus were amazing. Great service and gorgeous views of the Bay. Perfect for a date night or to entertain out of town guests. I took some friends from out of town and we all loved it.Special Features:
- Outstanding RestaurantCocoDined on 11/8/2014Beautiful Bay bridge views very good restaurant for SF. Food and sevice is good. I want to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014Best service I have had a restaurant, good atmosphere, but the food was bland and very disappointing for the price.
- Loved it!RonMPleasantonDined on 11/8/2014The management has this place running really well; 4/5 stars on service as our waiter was at times slow and didn't get our app order right the first time around. I was called twice before the reservation which I appreciated very much and they provided us a booth with a great view as requested. The person that took my reservation was nice, the woman who walked us to our table wasn't. The management made sure they had my needs met before we arrived and during the course of the meal which was appreciated. The oysters were great, the food overall was good, not excellent (the Ono was a bit over cooked and didn't blend well with the other ingredients on the plate). I'll be back, as there is so much more to try and the ambiance is great!Special Features:
- Oh what a nightMemeVIPDined on 11/5/2014When we were met at the door by Maitre d' we knew it would be a very special night! His good humor and attitude was a preview of how our evening would unfold! Our table had a window view and the light show on the Bay Bridge was amazing , but the full moon took top honors!! Our server Juan helped us find the perfect oysters for appetizer and the best fish we have had in a while. Dessert topped off a wonderful evening not soon to be forgotten. Do not miss this waterside gem and create your own memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to,it's reputationTedFNJDined on 11/4/2014Prior reviews were right about the view. This restaurant is right under the bay bridge and the views at night are spectacular with the bridge all lit up. The seafood was also awesome. Went here with a small group for business dinner. Fresh shellfish (best selection of oysters!) and the fish dishes were perfectly prepared. I had the black cod which was seared to perfection. The others in my group said the striped bass and the mussels dish were great too. Be prepared to spend a little more, but don't be weary that this is a mediocre place with great views. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No doubt- we will go back!FoodieInTrainingDined on 11/4/2014Love love loved the $1.05 oysters! I felt like I was at Nordstroms with the level of service that the waiter provided. Great food, Perfect location and spectacular views. One of my new fav's!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and a viewimhoJorgeVIPDined on 11/3/2014I was in San Francisco for business and dined here with a colleague. The experience was excellent and more than met my expectations as well as those of my foodie colleague. The service was expert - friendly but not intrusive. We selected from the excellent wine options and shared 4 appetizers and a side of roasted Brussels sprouts. I especially liked the yellowtail jack sashimi and the fried Monterey squid. There was an exciting buzz to the room but we had no trouble hearing each other across the table. The dining room was extremely comfortable and provided a spectacular up-close view of the bay bridge and its constantly changing light show. I'm looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nice experienceeatsout2muchDined on 11/1/2014This was my first dining experience at Waterbar. I loved the interior space and we were given a beautiful table next to the window with a view of the Bay Bridge. The service was great and the food was served promptly. Since we were a group of 8, we tried a variety of appetizers, including scallops, the crab trio, lobster bisque, pork belly, octopus, and oysters. We felt that some of these dishes were over salted (not the pork belly :) The only entree we felt was overpriced and mediocre was the king crab. The portion was small and it was overcooked and dry. To their credit, they did give us another entree, which was better. We also ordered a few sides. Overall, I would say the food was just good, not great.Special Features:
- WonderfulMyKaiDined on 11/1/2014Waterbar was recommended by our friends. It was my 70th birthday celebration as I absolutely love raw oysters and lobster. The selection of oysters was to die for and the Maine lobster was out of this world. Nai was our server and she was great. The restaurant is definitely a place to go in San Francisco and when we come back we will be at the Waterbar again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/31/2014A special birthday dinner to remember ! The atmosphere , knowledgable staff and amazing seafood selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok but not like last timehavanaDined on 10/31/2014A beautiful place with good wine list and amazing oyster list. It was disappointing that my guest's steak had to go back. I know it's a fish place but when a steak is served sliced it should be clear to the waiter whether it is cooked right. Still awesome fish and attentive waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialCentralOregonDined on 10/29/2014Wanted a nice dinner in a great setting and was impressed. The staff was exceptional in helping us find good gluten and egg free menu items for us, which was refreshing as this is often difficult for both staff and us when we dine out. Lovely setting, great service, and the food was fantastic. Great memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichRichDined on 10/29/2014The food and service were superb and coupled with the fantastic view made for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Fantastic!!!Crouton17Dined on 10/29/2014My first visit to San Francisco and when I asked what's the one place I must go to dine, my contact immediately suggested Waterbar. It did not disappoint. Our table shared oysters, a couple of appetizers and we each had our own meal. Absolutely no complaints on any level. Our service was great and our meals came to our table very quickly. And, did I mention the view was amazing!!! The only caveat I would express is that you better be a seafood lover if you go to Waterbar. Not many non-seafood options at all. Enjoy!!!Special Features:
- Great food, great viewwiliniliDined on 10/28/2014I love this place. It's where I like to take visitors from out of town, because the food is excellent, and the light show on the Bay Bridge makes for the perfect background. Really a great experience for visitors and locals alike.Special Features:
- Fabulous oystersDsigningwnVIPDined on 10/28/2014I've eaten here several times and I love the place but the back room seemed very, very loud on the night I was there. I couldn't tell if it was a large group but we were seated at a table directly in front of the 'wall' that separates rooms and it was distractingly loud. That's teally the only negative. It was hard to concentrate on my dining companion it was so loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2014From the moment we walked in to the moment we left we were taken care of. Nice hosts at door, a great server and support staff. Not to mention we had a great meal with a fab view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday MealHungryGuyVIPDined on 10/26/2014Our server, Eric S, was EXCELLENT and the plates were delicious! Eric was extremely knowledgeable, accommodating and upbeat. We were well taken care of. The pace of the meal was perfect. We ordered a variety of entrees and sides. Every single one was fantastic. Ditto on desserts. Could do without the snooty attitude at the host station before seating, although we did get an excellent table! What a wonderful special meal we had to celebrate our friend's birthday! This is a great spot for a special occasion.
- AwfulantiquetravlerVIPDined on 10/25/2014In 26 years of visiting SF this was the most dissapointing experience. It's too long to describe, but the mussles and fish were undercooked, portions were small, staff was cold, bar waiter was rude, the only star was the larger male host that sat us early at a lovely table. Other than that I was extremely dissapointed in the entire experience.Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurantCanadiansDined on 10/25/2014This restaurant was recommended to us by a friend who said that it had great seafood dishes. I made a reservation on-line which was super easy to do. When we got there we were impressed with the environment - beautiful views of the bridge and water, open kitchen, and large tanks of fish. The service was excellent and the food was amazing. This was our favorite restaurant that we ate at during our whole trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and viewTerjeWDined on 10/25/2014A very nice evening enjoying the view and outstanding seafood.Special Features:
- Waterbar dinnerJobaDined on 10/25/2014This in an ideal place for a special occasion. The service is great, the fish offered unique with specific info on where it is from and how it was caught, for instance, caught on hook in Kona (impressive). Most impressive is the interior, which feels like it has been here for a very long time, due to the metal work, exposed reused bricks and subway tiling. The views are beautiful right next to the bay bridge light show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeVisitorDined on 10/24/2014I was on a trip to SF, and wanted to try a nice seafood place, it had good rating. The service and food was very good, however, the front staff at the door does not seem very welcoming. The place has very nice views of the water. I may come back again to sit outside.Special Features:
- Great date spotbrigantorVIPDined on 10/24/2014Views, aquariums, oysters! Great date night spot, multiple rooms and levels. Salt water aquariums are beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the top in San FranciscoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Although the service was a bit too quick at the start, it calmed down and became very careful and paying attention to our needs and preferences. We found the excellent fish we were expecting at affordable prices. Good space between tables and interesting view of the cooks brigade at work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.