399 The Embarcadero South
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterbarsf.com/
- Phone: 4152849922
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm,
Dinner: Sunday - Monday 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Tuesday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 11:30am - 2:30pm,
Our Bar Menu is served everyday from 2:00pm until closing.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Parke Ulrich
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Waterbar
Waterbar is a seafood-centric restaurant located on the waterfront with spectacular panoramic views of the bay and city skyline, exceptional design, and a menu of the freshest sustainable fish and seafood. Featuring stunning outdoor (dog-friendly) dining on the waterfront patio, a relaxed atmosphere and floor-to-ceiling circular aquariums filled with an eye-catching array of fish and marine life from the Pacific Ocean Waterbar is not to be missed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Waterbar - Best Restaurants in SOMA ›
Waterbar reviews from OpenTable diners
517 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (443)special occasion (315)fit for foodies (294)great for outdoor dining (248)romantic (220)notable wine list (162)vibrant bar scene (137)great for lunch (134)hot spot (128)good for groups (98)great for brunch (91)neighborhood gem (80)late-night find (33)kid-friendly (21)Show More
- what a locationRobKVIPDined on 9/28/2014Great location on the Embarcadero right by the SF - Oakland Bay Bridge. Excellent and fresh seafood, nice ambiance and a fun and lively atmosphere.Special Features:
- Fantastic locationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014The ambience and views are fantastic. The bay bridge with lighted verticals are gorgeous backdrop. The restaurant has floor to ceiling fish tanks that are very well kept. Food was impeccableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichelleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014The food was very good! Full of flavor and great presentation. We all really enjoyed our meals. I had the Sable fish with hollandaise sauce, very yummy. My only complaint is that the apps were really small portions, not enough to share especially for the price. Crab legs for $28 three bites. Loved the scallops but you only get two for about $20. We will definitely go back, but now I know what to order. Loved the decor at night with the view of the bridge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a WinnerHappyDinerDined on 9/24/2014Have had dinner here and that was always great. For a change, I had a lunch date here and we both agreed that it's also a great lunch spot. Our food was delicious, especially the stuffed squash blossoms, the presentations were lovely without being overly fussy, and our waiter was fabulous. It was a pretty, sunny day and the bay was bustling with tankers coming and going, so the view was as dynamic as it is at night when the bridge is lit with the art installation. I love this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great location - service spottyGoodFoodDined on 9/23/2014Have been here many times. This last time the service was spotty. Served an appetizer and 20 minutes after they cleared the plate we were asking where our entrees were. Began by sitting in the bar enjoying catching up with an old friend. Was 1.5 hours early for a reservation but told them we'd be at the bar. Instead of grabbing us when a table opened in the main dinning area we were seated in the "dungeon" back room area. When asked to be reseated they told me it would be another 25 minutes. Crazy! Really poor attention by hostesses and waiters. I bring a lot of guest from out of town here and it is one of my favorite spots to go. Unfortunate.Special Features:
- suzanneVIPDined on 9/23/2014I found the service both at the bar and at the table to be very slow. At the bar, I arrived before my guests and it took about 10 minutes to get someone's attention to get a drink. At the table, our drink and food orders were taken quickly, but it took almost 1/2 hour to get appetizers and then another 1/2 hour to get entrees. Much too long a time - service staff were very nice but service was just too slow.Special Features:
- Good, not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/23/2014Service adequate, food good, view/ambience makes it worthwhile. Would go again....Special Features:
- Exceptional!GingerVIPDined on 9/22/2014Exceptional table service, menu and wine list. We go out of our way to visit when we are in San Francisco.Special Features:
- ExperienceJBDUVIPDined on 9/22/2014Very good dining experience. Highly recommended for fresh seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014Great food, great food, definitely coming back! Awesome seafood tower!Special Features:
- Lovely September EveningSftrixiDined on 9/21/2014Perfect for the out if town guests. A little noisy and of course I always want more main course choices, but all of the evenings choices were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waterbar a place to savorOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014Arriving early for our booking we (5) sat at the bar and took advantage of their oyster special (Miyagi) a buck apiece and some wine. Service at the bar was a bit slow so we had our oysters at the table with a great view of the lights on the Bay bridge. Waterbar is a great experience, a biton the expensive side but well worth the visit.Special Features:
- Seafood GemLDfoodies6Dined on 9/21/2014This was our second time to Waterbar. We had an out of town guest arrive at the last minut. Waterbar did not disappoint. We got caught in traffic. I called to say we'd be 15 minutes late, I was told not to worry. Unfortunately we had to call again after another 30 minutes still stuck in traffic! Again, politely we were told no problem. We arrived 45 minutes late and were immediately seated.Our dinner was wonderful- we all had the Petrale Sole stuffed with crabmeat. The oysters are outstanding as well. My only complaint was that my glass of wine arrived half-way through my meal We shared 2 desserts for 3 of us. Because the restaurant sits at the foot of the Bay Bridge, the light show on the Bay Bridge as the sun sets is not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at Waterbar on SundayfoodnmeDined on 9/21/2014Having requested outside seating on the reservation, I was surprised when I arrived a tad bit late that they had seated my party inside, even though 1 of our party asked at check in. I know it is not guaranteed, but they were seating people outside even after I arrived. After some work they did manage to get us outside. After that tiny snaffu all progressed very well. The servers were very attentive and readily explained the various options. We stayed for rather a long time and didn't feel pressured to hurry up, and the server even accomated us by taking some pics of us with the BayBridge in the backround. It was a most pleasant experience. The food was good, not to rave about, but certainly good. I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Great ambianceGirlsweekendoutDined on 9/20/2014Good was good, could have been better, bar scene was fun, despite having a reservation we didn't get seated until an hour or more. The service was outstanding otherwise! Beautiful Bay Bridge in the background!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itSunhomeVDined on 9/20/2014Food was great. But waited 45 min before we got seated of a table booked 3 weeks in advance. Waited 15 min before I had to ask a waiter to get some wine. Food was good, but there are SO many great restaurants in this city that has so much more. Would call it touristy, and not worth the money at all. Many might like it, and I understand, but that is when you really don't look because you are charmed by the expensive prices and location.Special Features:
- exceptionalPandADined on 9/20/2014Would highly recommend...wonderful food, interesting menu and the selected wines were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't credit my pointsDoctorDined on 9/20/2014After dining here with 3 friends I got an email that said we missed you at Waterbar. I emailed Opentable with the pertinent information, and they responded a day or two later and the mistake had been fixed. But several days later, no points from Waterbar have been added. So annoying to have to do others' jobs and follow up.
- Fabulous!50andFabDined on 9/18/2014We ate here to celebrate my 50th birthday - everything was fantastic: food, wine, service, view. A nice touch and much appreciated was a special birthday dessert. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FancyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Came for my birthdate celebration. The food tasted great, the service was awesome, but the most memorable part of this restaurant is the scenery. Our table was next to the window looking out at the bay bridge and next to one of the fish tanks. Since we were seated next to the bar, it was hard to hold conversations. Nearly all the fish entrees were spot-on and so were the chef selected oysters and mussel appetizer. The poultry entree was a little too gamey to me. Overall a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerJulieDined on 9/17/2014Everything was excellent, and the service outstanding. My favorite San Francisco restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Time, great foodluckypuppysfDined on 9/17/2014Good food, great waiter and even better cocktail selection -- busy kitchen so be prepared to wait for your food (45 min from ordering to appetizer), the rest of the meal was seamless.Special Features:
- Excellent!LoretoDined on 9/16/2014My server Sophie was outstanding, extremely nice and knowledgeable, all her recommendations were great. The food was delicious and the whole atmosphere is very inviting.Special Features:
- Slow food serviceLiz123Dined on 9/16/2014Great food, but probably the slowest food service in my life.. There almost 2 hours and didn't even get dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationFoodieVIPDined on 9/16/2014We loved our meal! Food, service...everything was outstanding. Our waiter-Jim was fabulous! He truly spoiled us and my sister loved her birthday dinner celebration. Thank you Waterbar for making it such a memorable night.Special Features:
- Dining outdoors in late summerOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/15/2014My girlfriend and I went here last night. We had a reservation at 8:15 and when we got there, it was so warm outside that we decided to sit on their patio. We waited about 5 minutes and then got the perfect table under a heat lamp with unobstructed views of the Bay Bridge. I'm huge on ambiance and this was a 10/10. Everything we ate and drank was delicious and the waiter was very attentive but not intrusive. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great ViewPB2014Dined on 9/15/2014Waterbar has good food and a great view! I would return.Special Features:
- Beautiful Day in SFJudydDined on 9/15/2014I had a visitor from the east coast here on Thursday & chose the Waterbar for our lunch destination. The weather was perfect - views stunning and the food & service here were excellent! We each sampled several dishes - everything I tried was delicious - complex mix of flavors, balanced, well executed - beautifully plated, but not overdone. Our server was personable and attentive but not at all intrusive. Others on the staff (hostess, and a few others who cleared out table, delivered dishes, etc.) were also very pleasant & welcoming. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerdaffyVIPDined on 9/14/2014Three of us celebrated our late summer birthdays with dinner on the outdoor patio on a rare mild evening. Every bite was delicious, wine suggestions were on point, and service was casually professional. Above all, the view of the lights on the Bay Bridge was magical.Special Features:
- stari gradstarigradDined on 9/14/2014excellent .... oyster bar is outstanding.... brunch was very good.... menu based...baby green salad with roasted strawberries and stuffed squash blossoms big enough for two........cross cut ribs on a bed on corn salad...excellent....partner happy with steak sandwich....not your usual breakfast buffet...but that was good.Special Features:
- DannyDDined on 9/13/2014The food was creative and outstanding. Table service was great. Bar service was only average.Special Features:
- A little noisyMargotDined on 9/13/2014Definitely one to take overseas visitors to, as the view is amazing. However, if it's a romantic night you are after, perhaps somewhere quieter would be more suitable, as the music is a little too loud in their effort to be cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco's finestjimmckinnneyDined on 9/13/2014Our party of 5 were so impressed with the ambiance, food & service. We will definitely return & recommend to our friendsSpecial Features:
- iluvfoodDined on 9/13/2014We had a wonderful start to our empty nest lifestyle now at Waterbar. BEAUTIFUL location which was very easy to get to. Service was impeccable. Food DELICIOUS!! Sommelier was very helpful with our wine choice. Overall worth every penny for a wonderful night out dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JocelynJoshDined on 9/13/2014We always leave Waterbar with our palates satisfied. The food is exceptional, waitstaff attentive and friendly. The views are one of a kind. Was wonderfully surprised to see an old acquaintance, Peter Palmer. Waterbar is fortunate to have a sommelier of his caliber on their team! I highly recommend Waterbar to anyone who wishes an exceptional restaurant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GO- so good.chitealatteDined on 9/12/2014Waterbar was recommended to us by a friend who lives in San Fran, and I am SO glad he told us about it. Yes, it was pricey, but it was so worth it. We ordered the Gingersnap and Lawn Party cocktails, and I wish I could recreate these drinks. They were SO yummy and packed a delightful punch. My husband ordered the Halibut while I ordered the Sole. The Sole was good. I felt like it was missing something though - I would have appreciated a mix of more flavor. My husband's Halibut was ah-mazing though. The freshness was evident and the flavors mixed so well on the palate. I wish we lived near the ocean to establish a Waterbar in Chicago, but I guess we'll just have to come back.Special Features:
- Nice for Business DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Very nice place for a business dinner. The service was a little slower and less attentive than expected, but still fine.Special Features:
- Ricardo the manager needs skillsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Form a line for a table .He was rude and unprofessional. When we finally sat and ordered our good took 1 hr.Special Features:
- Flies, flies, fliesMarcelDined on 9/10/2014Invited 2 potential business partners for dinner. Food and wine were fine, service nice. But... There were many, many little flies in the restaurant - that ended up in our wine and food. Honestly, I won't go back againSpecial Features:
- Too much oil & honey coated wineMaryDined on 9/10/2014Had dinner with 5 others on a Wednesday night. The waiter & service were great. Meals were ok. Carefully selected seafood -- I had the tuna -- it was loaded with so much oil along with the sides that it was difficult to eat because it was too rich & the natural flavors were drowned in oil. I requested a crisp french-style white wine--something that would pair well with the table selections & was served a honey coated wine that didn't pair well with the food. Disappointed with the food prep & wine selection all at a premium price. Not sure if I'll return anytime soon.Special Features: