Water Works Restaurant & Lounge
640 Water Works Drive
Philadelphia, PA 19130Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
Water Works Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterworksrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2152369000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday:5:00pm -10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact us for details.
- Special Events: The Water Works Restaurant and Lounge is the perfect venue for special events of all kinds! This historic landmark offers unique options for both indoor and outdoor affairs of all sizes. Please email email@example.com for more information
A word from Water Works Restaurant & Lounge
Nestled on the banks of the Schuylkill River, the Water Works Restaurant and Lounge is Philadelphia’s Landmark Dining Experience. Built in 1812, the Fairmount Water Works was an engineering and architectural marvel, pumping fresh water for Philadelphians until 1860. Today, this National Historic Landmark is home to world-class cuisine, impeccable service and the magical dining experience that is the Water Works Restaurant and Lounge. Dine beneath the high barrel-vaulted ceiling of the Engine House or the glass enclosed Solarium boasting the most spectacular views in town. Relax with intimate dining in the Breezeway and cocktails in the Caretaker's Lounge. Our outdoor terrace and riverside veranda offer Philly’s best outdoor dining experience. Saveur Magazine proclaimed the Water Works as “One of the Top 100 Dining Experiences in the World.” Experience the Water Works Restaurant and Lounge and discover that this enchanting place that once made history now makes unforgettable memories.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Water Works Restaurant & Lounge - Best Restaurants in Art Museum ›
Water Works Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (117)great for outdoor dining (113)special occasion (71)romantic (71)great for brunch (42)fit for foodies (30)great for lunch (28)good for groups (27)notable wine list (18)neighborhood gem (17)hot spot (9)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- nice view, plain foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014We had the mussels, Greek salad, chicken sausage, and the pork chop. The pork chop was prepared well and the sauce was a nice compliment. The Greek salad was full of mushy tomatoes- not good. The mussels were plain, with very little flavor and. The chicken sausage was dry. Overall experience was disappointing for the price, they did serve great rolls!
- Not worth the moneyemephotoDined on 9/23/2014We took visitors from Japan to eat at this high end establishment. The attitude was unfriendly, the seafood was average (chewy, tough mussels, mediocre oysters). The entrees (filet mignon, NY strip steak) were tough. The menu options, specials were not explained to us. The staff were trying to push the wine to make us purchase more. Very unimpressive. We would never return. The view was nice.Special Features:
- Food With a ViewkidkourageDined on 9/20/2014The Water Works is a beautiful place with delicious food and courteous staff. My girlfriend and I had our anniversary dinner there, and were absolutely delighted by everything from the view, to the perfectly prepared steak and lobster, to the great cocktails, to our very polite and friendly waiter. A wedding and reception were taking place in the banquet area, but this did not create any distracting noise or impact on the service. We had a lovely, quiet evening and enjoyed every aspect of our experience. Thanks, Water Works!Special Features:
- Kat3Dined on 9/19/2014Super beautiful outdoor dining, and truly mediocre food.Special Features:
- Waterworks for lunchtanjagusDined on 9/19/2014We had lunch outside on the deck in September. The service was good and the manager stopped by several times. The wine list had a nice sampling of good wines by the glass as well as a full bottle. We sampled the grilled octopus and chicken chiorizo appetizers - both were good. The octopus was tender with a wonderful wood grilled flavor. The chorizo was moist & not very spicy but good flavors throughout. The portabella sandwich was prepared well. The rosemary pressed tofu was ok but the plating was boring with no connection between the other components and the tofu. This is a nice place to dine if you are looking for a place to enjoy the city scenery at the river side nestled between the art musuem and the river.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RitaRitaDined on 9/18/2014This is a lovely venue and the host is quite gracious. The staff is also very thoughtful, although sometimes the waiters are a bit cold and pretentious. The thing that was REALLY cold this time was the coffee. Very disappointing. The noise level was also surprisingly high on our most recent visit. All in all, this is a wonderful place to enjoy the river and chat with friends, hopefully not at the top of one's voice!Special Features:
- springer1Dined on 9/16/2014I had only been there for lunch before, but between the restaurant itself and the magnificent evening weather it was simply gorgeous.....and for my friends, whom have never been there, it too was a wonderful experience. wes a.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PalmaDined on 9/16/2014Ambiance and view certainly the restaurant's high points. A convenience of a stroll after dinner through the museum park and Boathouse Row is also a great opportunity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View, Service, Food but $$$GeoffDined on 9/14/2014The view from the Waterworks is very picturesque. When combined with excellent service and food, it makes for a memorable dining experience. The only issue was the price, which was quite high - hence this venue is suitable for "special" occasions.Special Features:
- tourist traprickVIPDined on 9/14/2014Brunch" extremely disappointing low cheap quality of food (pricey) definitely not fit for foodies
- Nice Atmosphere & View, OK food.SomeDiffDined on 9/13/2014The View was great, the service was very good. The food we ordered (from the Lunch menu) was just OK, nothing fancy. I had the Lemon-Thyme Chicken and my wife had the Portobello Sandwich, we also split the Octopus and Crab cake apps. Worth going to once, just for the view/atmosphere. The Restaurants website, indicates free parking during lunch, however when we arrived at noon, we were forced to pay $12. I feel like somebody owes me $12.Special Features:
- BarbaraDined on 9/9/2014Water Works Restaurant has it all; a view that's awesome as well as excellent food. I've been there for both lunch and dinner and have always enjoyed the menu. The scallops on the dinner menu are out of this world. The service is wonderful. It's my new favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Food was good. Waiter took some time with second glass of wine. Too long between finishing appetizers and entree without water or food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely timeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014It is always a romantic and memorable experience at Water Works. The food and service were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous sunset view!NewZagats2VIPDined on 8/28/2014Kind service and sweet people. The view was so lovely! Parking is FREE!! … What was good? The beet salad with spinach, and the scallops and the sweet mash is a bit too sweet, but REAL… and the lobster ravioli has a nice claw on top, but the filler inside was not the fav… but the view is so lovely! A perfect night, Aug 28! Good service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for an afternoon lunchSRVfoodieDined on 8/23/2014Good place for lunch- atmosphere and place is great. Food and choices and prices below average. Prices of foods do not fit the quality or taste.Special Features:
- Another Great Meal and Nice TimeJohnJ2KDined on 8/20/2014I often come to the Water Works for their fabulous Sunday Brunch, and dinners here have always been good. This is the first time I had lunch here and, once again, it was a very pleasant experience. My three guests were very happy too. Not to mention that the parking is always made easy, and it's only a short walk to the nearby art museums.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Our wait staff was excellent. They were appropriately attentive and highly professional. They made our anniversary celebration special, bringing our dessert on a decorated anniversary plate and snapping a photo for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday SatisfactionFrequentDinerDined on 8/17/2014We are frequent brunchers at the Waterworks. The food is excellent and you cannot possibly eat it all at one sitting (though many try). The menu is quite varied and dessert is to die for. There's always something for everyone -- right down to the cake pops for the children. Enzo and staff are extremely gracious, accommodating and ever present without being intrusive. For the price, it's a steal.Special Features:
- Waterside WonderJulieandMikeDined on 8/16/2014New to Philly, my husband and I were referred to Water Works Restaurant as a venue for celebrating our 10 year anniversary. We were seated at a linen-covered table overlooking a sunset river, which hosted a class of kayak enthusiasts and a gaggle of Canadian geese. Fellow diners included those celebrating anniversaries, birthdays, and at least one engagement. Our servers were courteous and professional, our wine was exceptional and our meal was exquisite -- all of which contributed to a phenomenal experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehphillydocDined on 8/15/2014For the idyllic location of this restaurant, the experience was just "meh." The service was mediocre - when we sat down, before looking at it, the waiter took the wine list; there were long wait times between visits from our waiter; and water glasses went unfilled. The food was only OK. For the price and the dishes listed on the menu, we expected a little more. The duck breast had no sear on the outside, so there was no crispiness of the fat. The sweet potato was inedibly sweet. The bison ribeye was well-cooked, but still had an overwhelming amount of fat on the cut, and the brussel sprouts were undercooked and hard. For the price, there are too many other restaurants in Philadelphia to recommend Water Works. We will not be back.
- Inattentive service.TravelinGirlDined on 8/14/2014The food was good, but the service was very poor. After our food arrived (after a long wait), our server did not come to our table again. We had to catch the attention of food runners for a water refill. We waved someone down to ask for our bill, and once we provided our credit card, we waited another 15 minutes to get it back. If the restaurant had been busy it would have been understandable, but there were more empty tables than full ones. For the price, it was just not worth it.
- Nice Dining ExperienceSkiMamma1Dined on 8/12/2014We had a lovely evening here celebrating my husband's birthday on 12 August. Despite the inclement weather, we were still able to dine overlooking the river, and the plastic curtains kept the rain and wind at bay. Our dinners were quite good, with his pork chop dish being the highlight of the evening. It was perhaps the tastiest pork chop entree' he has had in years. We particularly enjoyed our conversations with Enzo, the Maitre D', and his wine selection was spot on. We do enjoy Waterworks, and we find it an excellent location for a special celebration. With Enzo at the helm in the dining room and his team of young chefs in the kitchen, we can only see the experience improving.Special Features:
- A Trip "Outside" the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/12/2014...yet within the city. Such a European vibe - reminds of those special places in France, Italy - and now Philadelphia. Great to bring out of town guest. We had a lunch of large salads - and all where delicious - and an assortment of desserts. Lemon tart, my personal favorite.Special Features:
- Nice view. Could use better foodOceanPrimeDined on 8/10/2014this place has a wonderful view and you can sit by the river but food was relatively ok. They could improved and provide a combined awesome experience.Special Features:
- 34th Anniversary Celebration!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/9/2014I picked Waterworks to celebrate this special occasion with my wife on 8/9/2014! We were not disappointed! The weather was perfect! Thank you God! The food was excellent! Kalin was an excellent waiter! Thank you Waterworks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placediningDined on 8/8/2014Fabulous food, atmosphere, service and view. Overlooking the Schuylkill River at sunset is a real treatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic spotdinessomeDined on 8/6/2014Nice spot for lunch - food is good and the view of the river and boathouse row is nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Brunchpbr88Dined on 8/3/2014We celebrated a family birthday with brunch at Water Works. Everything was excellent. Many, many choices on the brunch buffet; our server Brian was particularly attentive, and wonderful.Special Features:
- Great place to eat at!!!!classynsassyDined on 8/1/2014This was a very wonderful place to eat and it was very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- water workssandyDined on 7/31/2014perfect weather to dine while looking at the Schuylkill river, good service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & service not worth the $$$.enjoythesilenceDined on 7/30/2014We had reservations for our 12 yr anniversary, but were told to wait 10 mins for a table to open up. We ended up waiting 35 mins! Once seated, it took 10 more mins for our uncaring waiter to take our order. My husband & I got the vibe like he didn't want to serve us/hated his job. We waited 20 mins for our 3 scallop app. The whole dinner, the manager was schmoozing the couple at the table next to us quite loudly & never once apologized to us for our wait. Anyways, 35 min later & no waiter or salads. When our dinner was served, we inquired about the forgotten salads & our waiter rolled his eyes & said, "My bad." The dinner was small portioned for the pricing. We left unhappy & somewhat hungry. Our anniversary was never acknowledged, either.Special Features:
- RAFADined on 7/25/2014CLEARLY A TOURIST TRAP. NICE VIEW, BUT THAT'S ABOUT IT. FOOD IS BASIC, NOTHING TO GO THERE FOR. LOOKS RUN DOWN.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014We went for the view and wouldn't go back because of the service and food. Our server left us with a "lata" on our way out and served us cold steaks missing the bearnaise sauce and crab that we requested. When I mentioned it was missing, he came back with the bearnaise, still without the crab and was annoyed we had asked for new, warm steaks.Special Features:
- Fun location, food is okaySamKGDined on 7/18/2014The restaurant is a great spot, and a perfect place to go before a concert at The Mann. But the food is nothing special and WAY overpriced. I'd much rather have a picnic outside the restaurant with a similar view than pay so much for the food here.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2014Great place for first time visitors to Philadelphia. Fabulous service with much attention to our younger guest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and sceneryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Had a wonderful time and dinning experience. My first time to Water Works. I will be returning.Special Features:
- LadyteeDined on 7/12/2014I have dined at Waterworks for brunch several times,this was my first time for dinner. As the always the service was excellent. The triple mac n cheese wasn't very tasty but the beautiful view was wonderful watching the sunset Overall, it was a enjoyable evening and I will be returning for the excellent brunch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014We had a reservation and arrived on time and checked and was told our table was ready and the other members of our party were at the bar. We met them at the bar made small talk and came back and they said the table will be ready soon. 30 minutes later...we were finally seated. Our server was not super friendly and our food took over an hour without acknowledgement. When the food came it was average at best. My pork chop wasn't cooked. My girlfriend didn't get the side she requested. The only saving grace to this place are the views. Go for a run or bike ride past it without overpaying for crappy service.Special Features:
- Fair diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014Awful sound and smell of trucks,cars, buses and trains, and patrons. Shabby chic environment.