Water Works Restaurant & Lounge
640 Water Works Drive
Philadelphia, PA 19130Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
Water Works Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterworksrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2152369000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday:5:00pm -10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact us for details.
- Special Events: The Water Works Restaurant and Lounge is the perfect venue for special events of all kinds! This historic landmark offers unique options for both indoor and outdoor affairs of all sizes. Please email email@example.com for more information
A word from Water Works Restaurant & Lounge
Nestled on the banks of the Schuylkill River, the Water Works Restaurant and Lounge is Philadelphia’s Landmark Dining Experience. Built in 1812, the Fairmount Water Works was an engineering and architectural marvel, pumping fresh water for Philadelphians until 1860. Today, this National Historic Landmark is home to world-class cuisine, impeccable service and the magical dining experience that is the Water Works Restaurant and Lounge. Dine beneath the high barrel-vaulted ceiling of the Engine House or the glass enclosed Solarium boasting the most spectacular views in town. Relax with intimate dining in the Breezeway and cocktails in the Caretaker's Lounge. Our outdoor terrace and riverside veranda offer Philly’s best outdoor dining experience. Saveur Magazine proclaimed the Water Works as “One of the Top 100 Dining Experiences in the World.” Experience the Water Works Restaurant and Lounge and discover that this enchanting place that once made history now makes unforgettable memories.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Water Works Restaurant & Lounge - Best Restaurants in Art Museum ›
Water Works Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
160 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (132)great for outdoor dining (122)special occasion (86)romantic (77)great for brunch (54)great for lunch (35)good for groups (28)fit for foodies (28)notable wine list (20)neighborhood gem (16)hot spot (10)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Gorgeous sunset view!NewZagats2VIPDined on 8/28/2014Kind service and sweet people. The view was so lovely! Parking is FREE!! … What was good? The beet salad with spinach, and the scallops and the sweet mash is a bit too sweet, but REAL… and the lobster ravioli has a nice claw on top, but the filler inside was not the fav… but the view is so lovely! A perfect night, Aug 28! Good service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for an afternoon lunchSRVfoodieDined on 8/23/2014Good place for lunch- atmosphere and place is great. Food and choices and prices below average. Prices of foods do not fit the quality or taste.Special Features:
- Another Great Meal and Nice TimeJohnJ2KDined on 8/20/2014I often come to the Water Works for their fabulous Sunday Brunch, and dinners here have always been good. This is the first time I had lunch here and, once again, it was a very pleasant experience. My three guests were very happy too. Not to mention that the parking is always made easy, and it's only a short walk to the nearby art museums.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Our wait staff was excellent. They were appropriately attentive and highly professional. They made our anniversary celebration special, bringing our dessert on a decorated anniversary plate and snapping a photo for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday SatisfactionFrequentDinerDined on 8/17/2014We are frequent brunchers at the Waterworks. The food is excellent and you cannot possibly eat it all at one sitting (though many try). The menu is quite varied and dessert is to die for. There's always something for everyone -- right down to the cake pops for the children. Enzo and staff are extremely gracious, accommodating and ever present without being intrusive. For the price, it's a steal.Special Features:
- Waterside WonderJulieandMikeDined on 8/16/2014New to Philly, my husband and I were referred to Water Works Restaurant as a venue for celebrating our 10 year anniversary. We were seated at a linen-covered table overlooking a sunset river, which hosted a class of kayak enthusiasts and a gaggle of Canadian geese. Fellow diners included those celebrating anniversaries, birthdays, and at least one engagement. Our servers were courteous and professional, our wine was exceptional and our meal was exquisite -- all of which contributed to a phenomenal experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehphillydocDined on 8/15/2014For the idyllic location of this restaurant, the experience was just "meh." The service was mediocre - when we sat down, before looking at it, the waiter took the wine list; there were long wait times between visits from our waiter; and water glasses went unfilled. The food was only OK. For the price and the dishes listed on the menu, we expected a little more. The duck breast had no sear on the outside, so there was no crispiness of the fat. The sweet potato was inedibly sweet. The bison ribeye was well-cooked, but still had an overwhelming amount of fat on the cut, and the brussel sprouts were undercooked and hard. For the price, there are too many other restaurants in Philadelphia to recommend Water Works. We will not be back.
- Inattentive service.TravelinGirlDined on 8/14/2014The food was good, but the service was very poor. After our food arrived (after a long wait), our server did not come to our table again. We had to catch the attention of food runners for a water refill. We waved someone down to ask for our bill, and once we provided our credit card, we waited another 15 minutes to get it back. If the restaurant had been busy it would have been understandable, but there were more empty tables than full ones. For the price, it was just not worth it.
- A Trip "Outside" the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/12/2014...yet within the city. Such a European vibe - reminds of those special places in France, Italy - and now Philadelphia. Great to bring out of town guest. We had a lunch of large salads - and all where delicious - and an assortment of desserts. Lemon tart, my personal favorite.Special Features:
- Nice view. Could use better foodOceanPrimeDined on 8/10/2014this place has a wonderful view and you can sit by the river but food was relatively ok. They could improved and provide a combined awesome experience.Special Features:
- 34th Anniversary Celebration!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/9/2014I picked Waterworks to celebrate this special occasion with my wife on 8/9/2014! We were not disappointed! The weather was perfect! Thank you God! The food was excellent! Kalin was an excellent waiter! Thank you Waterworks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placediningDined on 8/8/2014Fabulous food, atmosphere, service and view. Overlooking the Schuylkill River at sunset is a real treatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic spotdinessomeDined on 8/6/2014Nice spot for lunch - food is good and the view of the river and boathouse row is nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Brunchpbr88Dined on 8/3/2014We celebrated a family birthday with brunch at Water Works. Everything was excellent. Many, many choices on the brunch buffet; our server Brian was particularly attentive, and wonderful.Special Features:
- Great place to eat at!!!!classynsassyDined on 8/1/2014This was a very wonderful place to eat and it was very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- water workssandyDined on 7/31/2014perfect weather to dine while looking at the Schuylkill river, good service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & service not worth the $$$.enjoythesilenceDined on 7/30/2014We had reservations for our 12 yr anniversary, but were told to wait 10 mins for a table to open up. We ended up waiting 35 mins! Once seated, it took 10 more mins for our uncaring waiter to take our order. My husband & I got the vibe like he didn't want to serve us/hated his job. We waited 20 mins for our 3 scallop app. The whole dinner, the manager was schmoozing the couple at the table next to us quite loudly & never once apologized to us for our wait. Anyways, 35 min later & no waiter or salads. When our dinner was served, we inquired about the forgotten salads & our waiter rolled his eyes & said, "My bad." The dinner was small portioned for the pricing. We left unhappy & somewhat hungry. Our anniversary was never acknowledged, either.Special Features:
- RAFADined on 7/25/2014CLEARLY A TOURIST TRAP. NICE VIEW, BUT THAT'S ABOUT IT. FOOD IS BASIC, NOTHING TO GO THERE FOR. LOOKS RUN DOWN.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014We went for the view and wouldn't go back because of the service and food. Our server left us with a "lata" on our way out and served us cold steaks missing the bearnaise sauce and crab that we requested. When I mentioned it was missing, he came back with the bearnaise, still without the crab and was annoyed we had asked for new, warm steaks.Special Features:
- Fun location, food is okaySamKGDined on 7/18/2014The restaurant is a great spot, and a perfect place to go before a concert at The Mann. But the food is nothing special and WAY overpriced. I'd much rather have a picnic outside the restaurant with a similar view than pay so much for the food here.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2014Great place for first time visitors to Philadelphia. Fabulous service with much attention to our younger guest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and sceneryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Had a wonderful time and dinning experience. My first time to Water Works. I will be returning.Special Features:
- LadyteeDined on 7/12/2014I have dined at Waterworks for brunch several times,this was my first time for dinner. As the always the service was excellent. The triple mac n cheese wasn't very tasty but the beautiful view was wonderful watching the sunset Overall, it was a enjoyable evening and I will be returning for the excellent brunch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014We had a reservation and arrived on time and checked and was told our table was ready and the other members of our party were at the bar. We met them at the bar made small talk and came back and they said the table will be ready soon. 30 minutes later...we were finally seated. Our server was not super friendly and our food took over an hour without acknowledgement. When the food came it was average at best. My pork chop wasn't cooked. My girlfriend didn't get the side she requested. The only saving grace to this place are the views. Go for a run or bike ride past it without overpaying for crappy service.Special Features:
- Fair diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014Awful sound and smell of trucks,cars, buses and trains, and patrons. Shabby chic environment.
- A terrible experienceDisappointedDined on 7/5/2014It was a special birthday celebration but Water Works most definitely did not live up to occasion. The service was absolutely atrocious, which made the mediocre food feel that much mediocre. As a high-end restaurant, one would think that Water Works would have commensurate service but the experience was absolutely insulting to the patron. Too many other restaurants in Philadelphia who appreciates their customer base and will make the experience memorable.Special Features:
- Almost perfect...but bad startluvtoeatoutDined on 7/5/2014The food was good and we ate outdoors with a wonderful view of the river. I had read their website which states there is free valet parking but also self parking. We came to the circle which said Valet only so we continued to the next parking lot closer to the restaurant. A nice young man then chased us down as we walked to the restaurant. He explained we had parked in the valet. I said where is the self parking? He said it was the circle area. I told him it also said valet only. He agreed and said the sign is confusing. I think if he agreed that the sign at the circle is wrong then he should not have demanded our keys. I am sure he is just doing what he is told so I blame management. CHANGE YOUR WEBSITE OR CHANGE YOUR SIGNS!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunch spotPhillyLoveDined on 6/29/2014I was in town on a date and Waterworks provided great food,ambience and an overall great brunch experience. Will definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JMagsDined on 6/29/2014View was amazing but wasn't impressed with the brunch food. There was variety but it seemed like a limited variety and most of it pre-made or brought in. So helpful that they had complimentary valet...very convenient. The champagne included was a bonus and we really enjoyed that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerJohnSDined on 6/28/2014My wife of 44 years always try to celebrate our anniversary at the Waterworks Restaurant. For the past couple of years the restaurant was closed for either a wedding of special event. We were happy to spend this anniversary there. My wife has the Shrimp Cocktail and the Salmon. I had the Caesar Salad and the Tuna Special. Everything was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceFoodie2Dined on 6/28/2014This was my first time dining at the Waterworks. The experience was excellent. We sat on the deck with a great view of the sunset glistening off of the water. The food was good, service was excellent. I would definitely go again. Also, the reservations were so easy to make.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum Yum!wsogmpDined on 6/28/2014Highly recommend this restaurant for anyone looking for a great dish and scenic views. Already looking forward to visiting again:)Special Features:
- DisappointingDinoDined on 6/26/2014Bread so hard it was in edible. Had to send back plates because dirty. Birthday "surprise" arrived in the middle of dinner. Cosmopolitan too sweet to drink. Spoke to manager who promised to get back to us but have not heard anything as of two days later. Will not return.Special Features:
- Wonderful experiencespecialdineDined on 6/26/2014We had a birthday occasion. Wonderfully done. Waiters were friendly and very service oriented. Food was wonderful. I must also mention that I loved the water glasses' thin rim, much more elegant than thick type. The wonderful scene with a lovely breeze was outstanding. JpSpecial Features:
- Special OccasionSatisfiedDined on 6/25/2014Due to the high prices, we would highly recommend Water Works for a special occasion. It was steamy outside, so we opted to eat indoors, however, the door was open to the outside so it was not as comfortable as we would have preferred. The food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightBillAnnaDined on 6/22/2014We had heard about the restaurant from a friend. What a great place, great food, great view and our waiter Joe, he did a wonderful job. Can't wait to go back. Thank YouSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Picture PerfectFrequentDinerDined on 6/22/2014While the view is fantastic (of the river and Boathouse Row), the faces of those who have just eaten (and perhaps had a drink or two) say it all. There are usually smiles all around . . . and loosened belts. The service is fantastic and every effort is made to assure more than satisfied customers. The prices are very reasonable and free valet parking for Sunday brunch make it a "can't lose". I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Lovely evening, food and settingLindaVIPDined on 6/21/2014My husband and I had gone to the Cezanne Preview at the Barnes and wanted to continue the evening with dinner. It was a beautiful clear warm night. I was able through Open Table to get reservations for after the Preview at the Waterworks at an terrace table. We had a view looking down the river. We started with sharing the grilled octopus appetizer. I had the duck and my husband the filet mignon. Mine was slightly overdone, my husband asked for Pittsburgh rare. It came rare, but not charred. They forgot to bring his spinach side dish. We ordered a Ripasso. The waiter spilled some while serving it. The food was still delicious and the evening still delightful. The bill did come close to $200 including tip.Special Features:
- Nice but may not be worth the priceBuddingFoodieDined on 6/20/2014My finance' and I enjoyed our dinner at Water Works, we had a quiet dinner outside with a great view of Boathouse Row. However, the service left something to be desired (and as a server myself, I think that says something), and the food while good tasted like it needed some more seasoning. The lobster ravioli was fabulous, but I don't think I would recommend the seared duck breast, it was a little rubbery. All in all it was an okay experience. Had the service been a bit better, I would have bumped the rating up to four stars. Great romantic atmosphere.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/19/2014Food presentation was nice, but salmon was bland, needed more favorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.