Water Works Restaurant & Lounge
640 Water Works Drive
Philadelphia, PA 19130Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
Water Works Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterworksrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2152369000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday:5:00pm -10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact us for details.
- Special Events: The Water Works Restaurant and Lounge is the perfect venue for special events of all kinds! This historic landmark offers unique options for both indoor and outdoor affairs of all sizes. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
A word from Water Works Restaurant & Lounge
Nestled on the banks of the Schuylkill River, the Water Works Restaurant and Lounge is Philadelphia’s Landmark Dining Experience. Built in 1812, the Fairmount Water Works was an engineering and architectural marvel, pumping fresh water for Philadelphians until 1860. Today, this National Historic Landmark is home to world-class cuisine, impeccable service and the magical dining experience that is the Water Works Restaurant and Lounge. Dine beneath the high barrel-vaulted ceiling of the Engine House or the glass enclosed Solarium boasting the most spectacular views in town. Relax with intimate dining in the Breezeway and cocktails in the Caretaker's Lounge. Our outdoor terrace and riverside veranda offer Philly’s best outdoor dining experience. Saveur Magazine proclaimed the Water Works as “One of the Top 100 Dining Experiences in the World.” Experience the Water Works Restaurant and Lounge and discover that this enchanting place that once made history now makes unforgettable memories.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Water Works Restaurant & Lounge - Best Restaurants in Art Museum ›
Water Works Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (93)great for outdoor dining (90)romantic (58)special occasion (57)great for brunch (35)fit for foodies (28)good for groups (26)great for lunch (25)neighborhood gem (15)notable wine list (14)hot spot (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014This was my first time at Waterworks and I must say it was pleasurable. The food was tasty, the wait staff was friendly, courteous (fixed a wobbly table), made sure we were taken care of...I will definitely be going back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything is great!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Having experience many of restaurants locally and abroad you normally get a good panorama with the food being just okay and bad service. With the Water Works I have found a place that not only have the great view and location but terrific service and great food. It's a great place with much charm and nostalgic setting. I highly recommend this establishment to anyone looking for a place to have a quality party or reception or just to celebrate an anniversary or a night out with a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMarcelezaDined on 10/19/2014I read some reviews about this restaurant and decided to try it for myself. My wife and I reserved a table for the Sunday brunch and we couldn´t be happier with the outcome. Great food, amazing place, great staff and a special moment. I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Food and falls bring us back...Foodiesx2VIPDined on 10/18/2014Service though,is often very slow,as it was on Saturday.My husband had the mussels which were in a thick tomato sauce which was one of the best tasting either of us had ever had (I just had to taste). His turkey club sandwich was generously portioned and tasty, and the fries were nicely crisp.I am vegan and asked for the Mediterranean salad, with the olives and cheese left off. To supplement what was left off, chef added multicolored roasted peppers - delicious and a nice touch. The dressing was light and tasty. The view is just so very superb - go if you haven;t been. Their guest swan was in the water, and cormorants dove for fish. Always a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Autumn DayMaxxieDined on 10/18/2014We continue to return and will visit again. It would be great if you had some events partnered with the Art Museum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent house wineunchDined on 10/14/2014We enjoyed our lunch so much that we bought a gift certificate for our children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BrunchRichSFoodMavenDined on 10/12/2014This place is a gem. The brunch selections were outstanding. Especially enjoyed the omelette station( with lump crabmeat) and the crepe station. The buffet was continuously replenished, and watched over by a dapper gentleman, like a hawk. The servers were also very attentive to our drink needs. The view of the river an boat house row were fabulous, and we enjoyed walking around the foot of the Art Musesum on a gorgeous sunny afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDanielDined on 10/5/2014We were seated on the balcony outside which is now enclosed in plastic for the winter so the view was obscured, the tables and chairs are plastic and it is not properly heated so your cold the entire dinner. Our waiter was a nice guy but did not speak English well which made the entire experience challenging. We had a tough time understanding him and he us. So much so two of our entrees came out incorrect. The service was slow. Furthermore while there is a dress code of no jeans or sneakers there were plenty of patrons in both and even baseball caps. Kids are allowed to run free around the restaurant as well. Also, it's $12 to park. In the end we were disappointed with the entire experience especially when you're paying $39+ per entree.Special Features:
- Terribly disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/5/2014Some of the worst restaurant food I've had in a long time. So much promise, such awful cooking.
- great anniversary spottrinaandericDined on 10/1/2014The food was delicious and the service was great. Just come prepared to spend some money and have a great time. The view was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Early Run Out of Food & WaiterJustinEderDined on 9/28/2014While our reservation was for 6PM, the kitchen had already run out of the menu item that had brought us there. The waiter, although pleasant, was unknowledgeable and forgetful. Although we requested a "table by window" online, we were seated by the kitchen, while a larger table (we were a party of two) overlooking the river went unused the entire time we were there (2 hours). Dining here had been on our list for quite a while and we chose it for a 30th anniversary celebration. The food was on the plus side (except for the Kale, the garlic for which was entirely too emphatic) but not enough to counterbalance the other downsides. We enjoyed the duck breast and salads and you couldn't find a more romantic environment. But we were disappointed.Special Features:
- Excellent Experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Overall we had a great experience. The food was excellent, the service was great. Bit on the pricy side but totally worth it. Would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- nice view, plain foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014We had the mussels, Greek salad, chicken sausage, and the pork chop. The pork chop was prepared well and the sauce was a nice compliment. The Greek salad was full of mushy tomatoes- not good. The mussels were plain, with very little flavor and. The chicken sausage was dry. Overall experience was disappointing for the price, they did serve great rolls!
- Not worth the moneyemephotoDined on 9/23/2014We took visitors from Japan to eat at this high end establishment. The attitude was unfriendly, the seafood was average (chewy, tough mussels, mediocre oysters). The entrees (filet mignon, NY strip steak) were tough. The menu options, specials were not explained to us. The staff were trying to push the wine to make us purchase more. Very unimpressive. We would never return. The view was nice.Special Features:
- Food With a ViewkidkourageDined on 9/20/2014The Water Works is a beautiful place with delicious food and courteous staff. My girlfriend and I had our anniversary dinner there, and were absolutely delighted by everything from the view, to the perfectly prepared steak and lobster, to the great cocktails, to our very polite and friendly waiter. A wedding and reception were taking place in the banquet area, but this did not create any distracting noise or impact on the service. We had a lovely, quiet evening and enjoyed every aspect of our experience. Thanks, Water Works!Special Features:
- Kat3Dined on 9/19/2014Super beautiful outdoor dining, and truly mediocre food.Special Features:
- Waterworks for lunchtanjagusDined on 9/19/2014We had lunch outside on the deck in September. The service was good and the manager stopped by several times. The wine list had a nice sampling of good wines by the glass as well as a full bottle. We sampled the grilled octopus and chicken chiorizo appetizers - both were good. The octopus was tender with a wonderful wood grilled flavor. The chorizo was moist & not very spicy but good flavors throughout. The portabella sandwich was prepared well. The rosemary pressed tofu was ok but the plating was boring with no connection between the other components and the tofu. This is a nice place to dine if you are looking for a place to enjoy the city scenery at the river side nestled between the art musuem and the river.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RitaRitaDined on 9/18/2014This is a lovely venue and the host is quite gracious. The staff is also very thoughtful, although sometimes the waiters are a bit cold and pretentious. The thing that was REALLY cold this time was the coffee. Very disappointing. The noise level was also surprisingly high on our most recent visit. All in all, this is a wonderful place to enjoy the river and chat with friends, hopefully not at the top of one's voice!Special Features:
- springer1Dined on 9/16/2014I had only been there for lunch before, but between the restaurant itself and the magnificent evening weather it was simply gorgeous.....and for my friends, whom have never been there, it too was a wonderful experience. wes a.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PalmaDined on 9/16/2014Ambiance and view certainly the restaurant's high points. A convenience of a stroll after dinner through the museum park and Boathouse Row is also a great opportunity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View, Service, Food but $$$GeoffDined on 9/14/2014The view from the Waterworks is very picturesque. When combined with excellent service and food, it makes for a memorable dining experience. The only issue was the price, which was quite high - hence this venue is suitable for "special" occasions.Special Features:
- tourist traprickVIPDined on 9/14/2014Brunch" extremely disappointing low cheap quality of food (pricey) definitely not fit for foodies
- Nice Atmosphere & View, OK food.SomeDiffDined on 9/13/2014The View was great, the service was very good. The food we ordered (from the Lunch menu) was just OK, nothing fancy. I had the Lemon-Thyme Chicken and my wife had the Portobello Sandwich, we also split the Octopus and Crab cake apps. Worth going to once, just for the view/atmosphere. The Restaurants website, indicates free parking during lunch, however when we arrived at noon, we were forced to pay $12. I feel like somebody owes me $12.Special Features:
- BarbaraDined on 9/9/2014Water Works Restaurant has it all; a view that's awesome as well as excellent food. I've been there for both lunch and dinner and have always enjoyed the menu. The scallops on the dinner menu are out of this world. The service is wonderful. It's my new favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Food was good. Waiter took some time with second glass of wine. Too long between finishing appetizers and entree without water or food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely timeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014It is always a romantic and memorable experience at Water Works. The food and service were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous sunset view!NewZagats2VIPDined on 8/28/2014Kind service and sweet people. The view was so lovely! Parking is FREE!! … What was good? The beet salad with spinach, and the scallops and the sweet mash is a bit too sweet, but REAL… and the lobster ravioli has a nice claw on top, but the filler inside was not the fav… but the view is so lovely! A perfect night, Aug 28! Good service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for an afternoon lunchSRVfoodieDined on 8/23/2014Good place for lunch- atmosphere and place is great. Food and choices and prices below average. Prices of foods do not fit the quality or taste.Special Features:
- Another Great Meal and Nice TimeJohnJ2KDined on 8/20/2014I often come to the Water Works for their fabulous Sunday Brunch, and dinners here have always been good. This is the first time I had lunch here and, once again, it was a very pleasant experience. My three guests were very happy too. Not to mention that the parking is always made easy, and it's only a short walk to the nearby art museums.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Our wait staff was excellent. They were appropriately attentive and highly professional. They made our anniversary celebration special, bringing our dessert on a decorated anniversary plate and snapping a photo for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday SatisfactionFrequentDinerDined on 8/17/2014We are frequent brunchers at the Waterworks. The food is excellent and you cannot possibly eat it all at one sitting (though many try). The menu is quite varied and dessert is to die for. There's always something for everyone -- right down to the cake pops for the children. Enzo and staff are extremely gracious, accommodating and ever present without being intrusive. For the price, it's a steal.Special Features:
- Waterside WonderJulieandMikeDined on 8/16/2014New to Philly, my husband and I were referred to Water Works Restaurant as a venue for celebrating our 10 year anniversary. We were seated at a linen-covered table overlooking a sunset river, which hosted a class of kayak enthusiasts and a gaggle of Canadian geese. Fellow diners included those celebrating anniversaries, birthdays, and at least one engagement. Our servers were courteous and professional, our wine was exceptional and our meal was exquisite -- all of which contributed to a phenomenal experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehphillydocDined on 8/15/2014For the idyllic location of this restaurant, the experience was just "meh." The service was mediocre - when we sat down, before looking at it, the waiter took the wine list; there were long wait times between visits from our waiter; and water glasses went unfilled. The food was only OK. For the price and the dishes listed on the menu, we expected a little more. The duck breast had no sear on the outside, so there was no crispiness of the fat. The sweet potato was inedibly sweet. The bison ribeye was well-cooked, but still had an overwhelming amount of fat on the cut, and the brussel sprouts were undercooked and hard. For the price, there are too many other restaurants in Philadelphia to recommend Water Works. We will not be back.
- Inattentive service.TravelinGirlDined on 8/14/2014The food was good, but the service was very poor. After our food arrived (after a long wait), our server did not come to our table again. We had to catch the attention of food runners for a water refill. We waved someone down to ask for our bill, and once we provided our credit card, we waited another 15 minutes to get it back. If the restaurant had been busy it would have been understandable, but there were more empty tables than full ones. For the price, it was just not worth it.
- Nice Dining ExperienceSkiMamma1Dined on 8/12/2014We had a lovely evening here celebrating my husband's birthday on 12 August. Despite the inclement weather, we were still able to dine overlooking the river, and the plastic curtains kept the rain and wind at bay. Our dinners were quite good, with his pork chop dish being the highlight of the evening. It was perhaps the tastiest pork chop entree' he has had in years. We particularly enjoyed our conversations with Enzo, the Maitre D', and his wine selection was spot on. We do enjoy Waterworks, and we find it an excellent location for a special celebration. With Enzo at the helm in the dining room and his team of young chefs in the kitchen, we can only see the experience improving.Special Features:
- A Trip "Outside" the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/12/2014...yet within the city. Such a European vibe - reminds of those special places in France, Italy - and now Philadelphia. Great to bring out of town guest. We had a lunch of large salads - and all where delicious - and an assortment of desserts. Lemon tart, my personal favorite.Special Features:
- Nice view. Could use better foodOceanPrimeDined on 8/10/2014this place has a wonderful view and you can sit by the river but food was relatively ok. They could improved and provide a combined awesome experience.Special Features:
- 34th Anniversary Celebration!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/9/2014I picked Waterworks to celebrate this special occasion with my wife on 8/9/2014! We were not disappointed! The weather was perfect! Thank you God! The food was excellent! Kalin was an excellent waiter! Thank you Waterworks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placediningDined on 8/8/2014Fabulous food, atmosphere, service and view. Overlooking the Schuylkill River at sunset is a real treatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic spotdinessomeDined on 8/6/2014Nice spot for lunch - food is good and the view of the river and boathouse row is nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.