Water Street Restaurant
131 North Water Street
Edgartown, MA 02539Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Water Street Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.harbor-view.com/dining/water-street
- Phone: 5086273761
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday thru Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Sundays 7:am - 10:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; All Day Menu: 11:00am to 9:00pm Daily.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Water Street Restaurant
This graceful Victorian dining room enjoys timeless views of the Edgartown Lighthouse and Harbor. Water Street features Chef Shaun Brian Sells’s distinctive Vineyard cuisine. Chef Sells sources the freshest island produce, meats and poultry from established island farms including Allen, Morning Glory and Whipporwill as well as line-caught and day boat seafood from local fishermen for our prominent Edgartown restaurant. Chef prepares the food in a contemporary New England style to enhance the freshness and emphasize the unique flavors of the local ingredients. The Water Street menu is designed to be flexible. Adventurous diners may choose to share and explore several of the Vineyard Small Plates or for those who wish to dine in a more traditional manner, full-size entrees are offered at our Martha’s Vineyard restaurant as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Water Street Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (15)special occasion (8)fit for foodies (7)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)good for groups (4)romantic (4)notable wine list (1)neighborhood gem (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- A reliable choiceMFoxDined on 8/24/2014We dined at Water Street on Sunday night and had a pleasant experience. The restaurant uses excellent ingredients and the cooking is high quality. A bison tenderloin ordered medium rare came out medium but the meat and sauce had good flavor. The daily fish special was very tasty although the cranberry beans accompanying it were somewhat under cooked. The service is friendly and people try but the summer staff don't have the experience or training to really do justice to the food or the setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightMischord1Dined on 8/22/2014Good service, great food, excellent wine - an expensive dinner that was refreshingly worth every penny.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great views! Poor service!!!SteaksRThemDined on 8/11/2014Sat down for 7:30 seating and food did make it to the table not until 8:30. The only saving grace was a fantastic view of the super moon rising over the harbor. The food once it came was outstanding but it was not worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperlativeOregonfoodloverDined on 8/4/2014wonderful food, great service--all around a terrific dinnerSpecial Features:
- Disappointed... Not worth your timeBrunchLadyVIPDined on 7/27/2014I was extremely disappointed with my overall experience. No table clothes on the damaged tables. We had to wait to be seated, though the restaurant was partially empty. They no longer had valet parking. The menu selection was very limited and mediocre at best. The waitress was very nice and was attentive. I am a person that loves brunch and I go to brunch often all over the east cost (Philly, New Jersey, DE, MD, VA). By comparison, this was not good at all as compared to Avenue on the 8th in NY, Krazy Kats in Wilmington, Waterworks in Philly, and the like. I will not return and do not recommend other waste their money ($38/person). It is just not the place it use to be 2 and 3 years ago and not at all worth the cost.
- Great for a special night outBillandPattiDined on 7/25/2014Had a family dinner there. Everything was excellent. Just know its pricey.Special Features:
- Lovely small plates!PetraDined on 7/19/2014We were a group of six, including my mother and two of her oldest friends. Water Street offers small plates as well as large entrees, and that is perfect for people who don't necessarily eat like lumberjacks. The plate of local cheeses was exquisite, and our waitress went back to find out which farms they were from. I was thrilled to find out that our favorite one is made at Grey Barn Farm, and went over next day to buy one. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- The opentable booking seems to workdriftwoodDined on 7/13/2014But, we did not get any direct confirmation from the restaurant until we had to call to speak with the hostess. We were 10 min. late and our party has arrived and sat in the area, where our request was NOT met, and when we pointed that our guests are seated, the hostess showed frown while she was on the phone. I have to say we were waiting for her direction but she ignored first until we walked toward our seated guests, giving her eye signals. That upset us both. They replaced the waiting staff to the new in blue uniform, but their service skill needs a lot of improving before putting them to work. But, overall, their personality was all great.Special Features:
- Completely obliviousnancyDined on 6/22/2014Sunday 10am reservation. 3 tables filled. Waited 10 min b4 asking hostess for coffee. A server was chatting with another table - finally comes by & shares they were talking about triathlons. As if I care. I ordered the buffet & my husband ordered off the menu. Another couple sat 10 min after us. Within 10 min, they are served. A total of 30 min go by, I go to the mgr who says 'its not your server's fault - the other server gave your husband's meal to another table.' 40 minutes & no one acknowledges/apologizes?! Then as we're eating, she attempts to take my plate away saying 'you all set?' Clear lack of training/utter disregard for standards. The reataurant/hotel is not what it used to be. So disappointing. Would never ever return.
- Graduation DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014The atmosphere was great, food not so much, service so, so. Sorry but that's the truth. The chicken was very dry, lobster tasteless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 20 reviews are from the Water Street Restaurant reviews archive.
- Water Street BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/1/2014We dine here each year when visiting the Vineyard and look forward to it each time.The food quality and service is great, however we'd prefer a larger selection of brunch buffet items.Special Features:
- We have spent 17 summers atOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/16/2014We have spent 17 summers at Harborview. Unfortunately the food and service have been declining for the past couple of years.
- Surprisingly poor serviceDavidDined on 2/14/2014It could not have been a surprise that they were busy for Valentine's Day since they were actively promoting a prix fixe dinner. Still not sure whether it was a kitchen problem or staffing, but a very disappointing evening: 45 minutes to get the first course (salad and oysters), lukewarm entrees, mixed up drink order. At one point, the server came over to apologize for the delay and said that our entrees were ready and she could bring the first course after that. We have been to Water Street and their bar restaurant several times, but this is not the evening we expected..Special Features:
- dined on V-day -- servicemarciaeDined on 2/14/2014dined on V-day -- service was very poor based on not enough servers for the dining room.....will return this summer, likely it will be better staffed during summer. They should have closed off part of the restaurant and taken fewer reservations if they thought they would be short staffed due to winter season.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic brunch venuebeverlyDined on 12/1/2013The brunch table had a raw bar on it, which included fresh oysters, fresh muscles, and salmon. The service was impeccable, and the servers were very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place! Beautiful settingWallyDined on 10/25/2013Great place! Beautiful setting overlooking edgartown lighthouse. Food was wonderful farm to table great young chef. We had a rude waiter and it took away from our overall experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dinnerBarryDined on 10/12/2013The Water Street Restaurant in the HarborView Hotel was truly outstanding. For an appetizer I had pea soup and my wife garden greens. I've never ordered pea soup in a restaurant, I can't ever recall seeing it on a menu. It was wonderful. I hate to say it but better than my mothers, very flavorful. Sorry mom! For our main meal I had the monk fish, my wife had the pork shank, and our guest had the local farm raised chicken. The monk fish was spectacular, perhaps the best fish dish I've had all year. My wife raved about the pork shank and our guest loved the chicken. The presentation was wonderful, portions were large, and the service was excellent. A gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overcharged for brunchKristinaDined on 10/6/2013Instead of the regular $28 we got $38 charge each for a Sunday brunch even though the name of the item on the check said 'brunch @ 28'. When we asked the waitress about it, she sniveled it was just the name of the brunch. Never coming back to this place.
- Gorgeous harbor view; lovely food.CapedinersVIPDined on 9/14/2013We were charmed by the old-fashioned elegance of the Harbor View Hotel, and delighted by our window view lit by the evening sun. The food's quality matched the ambience. My "market" selection of fresh fall veggies over quinoa, probably a long shot in most restaurants, was surprisingly tasty and more filling than on initial appearance. In contrast, my husband's plate consisted of only 3 scallops, lovingly presented, but hardly entrée-sized. My dessert, however, a truly decadent chocolate terrine concoction, would more properly have been shared by two. The room, even aside from the view, was tastefully and freshly decorated, but sadly, more than half empty on a weekend evening...perhaps that was the source of our waiter's slight grumpiness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Ambiance for BreakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 7/26/2013Had a nice breakfast in this lovely updated, modern hotel with a touch of old world charm. Food was very good, staff friendly and efficient. Nice views of the water and lighthouse. Based on breakfast, look forward to trying dinner. RecommendedI would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingPaulDined on 7/24/2013The service was simply very below par. It seemed no one was assigned to our table of six. Had to track down and ask for every refill of drinks and bread. The food took forever to be served and with a table with no drinks or bread, that isn't good! The appetizers and entrees were just okay. The sauces for each dish were fine, but nothing seemed to translate to the food. With nothing standing out with the food as memorable, except I will remember to not go there again. Not worth it.
- Great atmosphereMV4lifeDined on 7/10/2013My wife and I had our anniversary dinner and it was lovely. We have eaten at all the best restaurants on all parts of the island. The combination of food and view is hard to match. I highly recommend going early and having drinks and raw bar snacks on the porch (waiters serve you there).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great expectationsTravelerDined on 7/8/2013This restaurant provides outstanding food and service. Three of us dined here for breakfast and dinner for four meals and they were all outstanding meals and service. Very enjoyable and delicious food with excellent presentation. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, outstanding view!SunsetMikeyDined on 6/30/2013We enjoyed our anniversary at the Harbor View and couldn't have been more satisfied! We arrived a little early and were able to enjoy our drinks while sitting in rocking chairs on an outside porch. We asked & received a window seat which looked out on Edgartown harbor & lighthouse - what a spectacular view! Our meals were very, very good and nicely prepared. My steak was tender and extremely flavorful. My wife's scallops were served in a large bowl with some greens and a light sauce. Our servers were knowledgable, attentive, and there was an excitement in their manner that made for a wonderful dining experience. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Vineyard Farm-to-table GemMarcVIPDined on 6/29/2013The service was amazing, the food fantastic, and the atmosphere energetic. One of the best meals this year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sets the standard for EdgartownWendyEVIPDined on 6/28/2013This was a truly delicious dinner - especially for a hotel restaurant. Of our group of 8, every one of enjoyed our meals - which ranged from seafood to pasta to chicken to duck and lamb. Everything on the table was absolutely divine. Service was excellent - attentive and helpful, unobtrusive. We also had breakfast here this morning and it was just as enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen management issuesOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/9/2013We made a reservation at Water Street Restaurant for a Sunday evening. Our first day on the island, we were keen for a great lobster meal. Lo and behold, not only were they out of lobster, but also out of the duck and the bone-in filet -- about half the entrees on the menu! What we did order was excellent, but we found the poor kitchen management (demand planning) a big turnoff. We found several other options later in the week that we can recommend, including Alchemy and Atria.Special Features:
- Getting up and running...OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/6/2013This time of year, the seasonal workers on Martha's Vineyard are just learning their trade. For example, our waiter was very new to the restaurant, which was actually totally empty, except for us that night. This restaurant has lots of promise, especially with the amazing view and location and we're certain that several weeks from now all will be working like a finely tuned machine. The room is beautiful and well appointed, and they have every chance to be rated a 4 or 5 star restaurant once everything gets sorted out for the season.Special Features:
- Memorial Day WeekendFoodSnobDined on 5/26/2013The Food Is simply Amazing. Best Lobster Roll In Edgartown. The Servuce Was Slow And Sometime There Weren'tPlates Available At The Sunday Brunch But Worth The Wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remarkably good food, in aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2013Remarkably good food, in a New England classic setting. The food was outstanding.Special Features: