Water Grill - Santa Monica
1401 Ocean Avenue
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Water Grill - Santa Monica
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.watergrill.com/
- Phone: 3103945669
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Damon Gordon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, View
A word from Water Grill - Santa Monica
For over 20 years, Water Grill has sated the palates of fish lovers. From the moment it opened, this flagship downtown restaurant from King's Seafood Company has satisfied the need for a world-class fish eatery in Los Angeles. Hailed as "the best seafood in Southern California" by the internationally recognized Zagat Guide, Water Grill has consistently offered dazzling fish preparations of superior quality and freshnessContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Water Grill - Santa Monica - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Water Grill - Santa Monica reviews from OpenTable diners
317 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
scenic view (143)fit for foodies (128)vibrant bar scene (105)special occasion (98)good for groups (92)hot spot (91)neighborhood gem (79)great for lunch (67)notable wine list (51)great for outdoor dining (44)romantic (41)kid-friendly (23)late-night find (22)great for brunch (21)Show More
- Not like I remember the downtown WGhoustonfoodieVIPDined on 10/26/2014Menu and bill did not agree, portion of fish embarrassingly small, nice server but not like I recall the downtown WG
- Another good meal at Water GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014Service was a bit slow on this last trip, which could probably be attributed to the restaurant being packed. As usual, food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itKimmykldDined on 10/25/2014What a great find! Many seafood options to choose from but we made our own custom platter. Loved the open to outside concept. Great prices and over the top service. I will be raving about this place for months!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was enjoyableJohnVIPDined on 10/25/2014A good place to share with friends and family ... a little pricy but service is excellent and fresh fish very good ...Special Features:
- Consistently Greatluckik30VIPDined on 10/25/2014We took some friends who were visiting from out of town here for dinner. This is consistently our favorite place to dine in Santa Monica. Great view and great service coupled with delicious food make for a fabulous dining experience. We will definitely return to Water Grill ;)
- solidluvtoeatDined on 10/25/2014Service was great. I called to ask about corkage and was encouraged to bring in my own wine at no charge. Food was not memorable but solid. Clam chowder, lobster roll were excellent and I would be happy to go back for either or both. Funny I tried to talk my son out of ordering the lobster roll, glad he did not listen to me as it was hands down the best dish. Cioppino was just O.K. Cudos to the staff employee we encountered was warm and friendly, they seemed genuinely happy to be there.Special Features:
- Quiet lovely lunchLEwisDined on 10/25/2014We wanted a quiet place for lunch to discuss some serious matters. I requested a quiet table. It was perfect. The food was delicious. The fresh bread is outrageous. The octopus was great.Special Features:
- Don't miss water grillWestcoastseaDined on 10/23/2014Impeccable service and amazing seafood. Service was great and very informativeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Water Grill's Got Good Eats and FunAresverdeVIPDined on 10/23/2014I keep coming back for the uber succulent crab legs. I nearly always also order lobster of some sort. This time my friend and I shared 4 king crab legs (delicious!) and a spiney lobster served split into two parts. As I've experienced on several visits, the lobster was again overcooked and not particularly succulent. I will not order lobster again here. Everything else was very tasty. All in al it was a good dinner and a fun night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Water Grill is right on the beach. It is attractive, open, fun and friendly. Our table was ready when we walked in the door. The food was fabulous. Open Table made it easy to pick and reserve. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a new classicddnexusDined on 10/16/2014great location with ocean views when you can get a table by the window. mixed crowd, can go casual or dressed up. attentive, friendly service. knew we were celebrating and provided a surprise dessert! will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fine seafood in a relaxed settingruvyDined on 10/15/2014Seafood was fresh and delicious, decor / vibe is much more California beachy / laid-back (versus the more formal location in downtown), which we really liked. Met some out-of-town clients for lunch and they loved the seafood and the setting. Hard to beat this place.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014If you want a great seafood restaurant experience the Water Grill Santa Monica is where you will most definitely find it. Both the food and the service are excellent and are delivered in a wonderful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gtchefDined on 10/12/2014Food was tasty. Server was unprofessoinal. Our server couldn't keep the waters straight for a two top (one sparkling/one still, kept changing throughout the evening). I always start with a Manhattan "up", which arrived on the rocks. He kept asking if he could take our wine glasses away, as opposed to offering a glass with our entrees (which I told him we'd be doing anyway). When I did order the wines he had no clue which one I was asking for (Vietti 'Tre Vigne' Barbera d'Asti, half carafe), and he had no idea how to pronounce it when he finally brought it. Watching him run around the restaurant with nothing in his hands was painful, and the way he hard-pressed the table next to ours about the Live King Crab was embarrassing.
- service slippingJamesVIPDined on 10/12/2014After several repeat visits, the maitre d' would not honor a request for a booth at the window. Aggravating the situation, there was a booth available the whole hour we waited at the bar. We ordered appetizers and left. Even worse, the maitre d' never got us at the bar for the regular table. Inexcusable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014Great vibe. The food is good, not great. Good menu selections of more than ordinary seafood. Service is outstanding.Special Features:
- As good as original + a view.RobSDined on 10/11/20144 diners. 4 dishes + oysters + 1 dessert. Oysters A- All others A ! Portions are not large, but the prep and presentation were superb. Service--very classy, not overbearing--no push to move along. Grand seafood, in a classy locale. Open windows by the front give an outdoor feel! (nice even with the noisy street)Special Features:
- thefressersDined on 10/8/2014We had been there before and loved it. This time was a hurried visit as we were going to the opera and only had an hour for dinner. I so appreciated the staff's understanding and cooperation without attitude. They were able to serve us instantly and the lobster sandwich was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my favorite seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Scallops on the half shell. Wow. Miso black cod. Wow. If you like seafood you'll love water grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible cevicheOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/6/2014Outstanding fresh ceviche with beautiful presentation.Special Features:
- the downtown classic gets informalzip119Dined on 10/5/2014The beach branch of Water Grill is less quiet and businesslike than its downtown sibling. It's a Santa Monica beach scene, so no tablecloths but a jumping bar in the center of things backed by a view of the Pacific. Still, it bears the culinary pedigree of the original, so, with the exception of the lobster at its namesake restaurant down the street, you won't find better fish or seafood in this beach city. Of three entrees at our table, the King Salmon and Chilean sea bass were excellent. Only the miso black cod disappointed. Starters and vegetables were top-notch. Service was quick and eager.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 10/5/2014Food lacked flavor and service slow but great views.Special Features:
- ddddVIPDined on 10/4/2014Really good dinner but the wait was long, even with a reservation. I was a bit disappointed in the DT LA Water Grill when I went several years ago, but really liked the SM location and will go back again.Special Features:
- ExcellentJohnDined on 10/4/2014We went for a special occasion, but will be back more often. The entire experience, food, service, setting, was wonderful.Special Features:
- Lobsta-Roll!MitchVIPDined on 10/1/2014Always good service and great food here but I usually get the cioppino or sea bass. Today I decided to go with the lobster roll and, although I set the bar pretty high (I'm originally from the East coast), this one managed to meet and beat my expectations. Heaps of lobster that fell out of the roll the minute you take a bite due to overcrowding! I tried it "Traditional style" next time I'll give the "Connecticut style" a shot(butter instead of mayo). Served with a side order of thick cut french fries I ended up returning them because they were a little too laden with salt for my taste but their replacement arrived within minutes and were the perfect accompaniment. Nailed it Water Grill!Special Features:
- Nice!JillDined on 9/27/2014We come here about once a month. Great vibe. Now that it's fall it's a little quieter, which is nice because it doesn't take as long to get a seat at the bar. The other night we sat in a booth behind the bar. There were four of us and the evening, food, and service were all great! I love the Lobster Roll (the butter version, not the mayo). The Cesar Salad with mixed greens was uninteresting. But the Wedge was good (and huge) and we started with a seafood platter, which was awesome! Love the fact that you can get 1/2 carafes of an excellent selection of wines.Special Features:
- Great food. Excellent service.RichyVIPDined on 9/26/2014The host, the waiter, the table, the organic green salad and the Chilean Sea Bass were all outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best servicehomerdoh182Dined on 9/26/2014The food was delicious, but the service was remarkable. It is great for small groups to share plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2014I made a reservation just because I haven't been there. I asked for a booth and sure enough it was waiting for us. The manager was wonderful. Our waiter was great. Sommelier was wonderful. Food fabulous! Great great restaurant. I definitely will go back and suggest it to others!Special Features:
- MichaelVIPDined on 9/22/2014good clean fresh tasting fish, served without any pretentiousness. I'd go back regularlySpecial Features:
- okFooddudeVIPDined on 9/22/2014nothing really exceptional - better in the neighborhood. Probably great for tourists
- Fabulous seafood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014I love this place because it's a Michelin 1 star restaurant with a reasonable prize. Ambiance is great, service is fabulous, and seafood is incredibly fresh and cooked just the way they should be. It just doesn't make any sense to go to some other seafood restaurant where the quality is OK but the price is actually still very high. I've been here couple times and would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/21/2014I highly recommend the Water Grill, every single thing we ate was GREAT! Just expensive...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Santa Monica best restaurantAGonFre62VIPDined on 9/20/2014Highly recomended, excelent food and service. A little busy at dinner but they can handle it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service just okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Service left a lot to be desired. She wanted to take our order before we had ordered a cocktail. Wine glasses and empty martini glasses remained on table throughout the meal. At check time- she dropped it unsolicited without a word of thanks or any acknowledgement at all. Then she took her sweet time picking it back up to run the cards. Seemed as though she was in her own little world.
- Not up to Par!!!FredDined on 9/20/2014I've eaten at Water Grill at least a half a dozen times since it took the place of Ocean Avenue Seafood. Prior visits were all outstanding. Saturday night was not. Our waitress did not seem interested in making the experience memorable and was put out when my wife asked for a substitution for the vegatable offered. Her black cod was nearly burnt and poorly presented. The manager was freindly enough and had the kitchen make another piece. My clam chowder was too milky and almost bereft of clams, and my soft shell crab was soggy. For the prices this place charges, I expect superb service and a memorable dining experience. I got neither. I'll give it another shot, probably for lunch, but I was not happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over Price for mediocare food,NoNameVIPDined on 9/20/2014There is nothing special about their expect they are over priced. I have dined in a lot of good restaurant around town but this place doesn't have impressive menu at all, even their cocktail menu doesn't say what kind of Gin or Vodka are using to make those over priced drink. if you are charging me arm and leg for a drink at least tell me cute story and brand name that goes to the glass to convince me. Service wasn't good at all I asked 3 time from 2 different people for an straw and it never made it to our take till we left. our glasses where empty of water till almost end of the dining.
- Didn't Like ItCocoVIPDined on 9/20/2014The view was great. The service was great. Everything else wasn't.Special Features:
- Best Seafood in LAOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014THE place for Seafood in the LA area. The Santa Barbara prawns were exquisite. Our server was very friendly and knowledgeable. It is a very noisy place but if you don't mind the noise, then you must visit the Water Grill. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nive eveningRockybarDined on 9/19/2014Food was nicely prepared in a kitchen enclosed in glass so that you could watch everything that was going on. Lobsters came right out of the tank. Wine list was good and not overpriced. Desert was anticlimactic.Special Features: