Water Grill - Santa Monica
1401 Ocean Avenue
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Water Grill - Santa Monica
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.watergrill.com/
- Phone: 3103945669
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Damon Gordon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, View
A word from Water Grill - Santa Monica
For over 20 years, Water Grill has sated the palates of fish lovers. From the moment it opened, this flagship downtown restaurant from King's Seafood Company has satisfied the need for a world-class fish eatery in Los Angeles. Hailed as "the best seafood in Southern California" by the internationally recognized Zagat Guide, Water Grill has consistently offered dazzling fish preparations of superior quality and freshnessContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Water Grill - Santa Monica - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Water Grill - Santa Monica reviews from OpenTable diners
316 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
scenic view (147)fit for foodies (125)special occasion (102)vibrant bar scene (100)hot spot (91)good for groups (88)neighborhood gem (77)great for lunch (68)notable wine list (47)great for outdoor dining (46)romantic (41)great for brunch (25)kid-friendly (24)late-night find (24)Show More
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Water Grill is right on the beach. It is attractive, open, fun and friendly. Our table was ready when we walked in the door. The food was fabulous. Open Table made it easy to pick and reserve. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a new classicddnexusDined on 10/16/2014great location with ocean views when you can get a table by the window. mixed crowd, can go casual or dressed up. attentive, friendly service. knew we were celebrating and provided a surprise dessert! will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fine seafood in a relaxed settingruvyDined on 10/15/2014Seafood was fresh and delicious, decor / vibe is much more California beachy / laid-back (versus the more formal location in downtown), which we really liked. Met some out-of-town clients for lunch and they loved the seafood and the setting. Hard to beat this place.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014If you want a great seafood restaurant experience the Water Grill Santa Monica is where you will most definitely find it. Both the food and the service are excellent and are delivered in a wonderful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service slippingJamesVIPDined on 10/12/2014After several repeat visits, the maitre d' would not honor a request for a booth at the window. Aggravating the situation, there was a booth available the whole hour we waited at the bar. We ordered appetizers and left. Even worse, the maitre d' never got us at the bar for the regular table. Inexcusable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014Great vibe. The food is good, not great. Good menu selections of more than ordinary seafood. Service is outstanding.Special Features:
- As good as original + a view.RobSDined on 10/11/20144 diners. 4 dishes + oysters + 1 dessert. Oysters A- All others A ! Portions are not large, but the prep and presentation were superb. Service--very classy, not overbearing--no push to move along. Grand seafood, in a classy locale. Open windows by the front give an outdoor feel! (nice even with the noisy street)Special Features:
- thefressersDined on 10/8/2014We had been there before and loved it. This time was a hurried visit as we were going to the opera and only had an hour for dinner. I so appreciated the staff's understanding and cooperation without attitude. They were able to serve us instantly and the lobster sandwich was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my favorite seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Scallops on the half shell. Wow. Miso black cod. Wow. If you like seafood you'll love water grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible cevicheOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/6/2014Outstanding fresh ceviche with beautiful presentation.Special Features:
- the downtown classic gets informalzip119Dined on 10/5/2014The beach branch of Water Grill is less quiet and businesslike than its downtown sibling. It's a Santa Monica beach scene, so no tablecloths but a jumping bar in the center of things backed by a view of the Pacific. Still, it bears the culinary pedigree of the original, so, with the exception of the lobster at its namesake restaurant down the street, you won't find better fish or seafood in this beach city. Of three entrees at our table, the King Salmon and Chilean sea bass were excellent. Only the miso black cod disappointed. Starters and vegetables were top-notch. Service was quick and eager.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 10/5/2014Food lacked flavor and service slow but great views.Special Features:
- ExcellentJohnDined on 10/4/2014We went for a special occasion, but will be back more often. The entire experience, food, service, setting, was wonderful.Special Features:
- Lobsta-Roll!MitchVIPDined on 10/1/2014Always good service and great food here but I usually get the cioppino or sea bass. Today I decided to go with the lobster roll and, although I set the bar pretty high (I'm originally from the East coast), this one managed to meet and beat my expectations. Heaps of lobster that fell out of the roll the minute you take a bite due to overcrowding! I tried it "Traditional style" next time I'll give the "Connecticut style" a shot(butter instead of mayo). Served with a side order of thick cut french fries I ended up returning them because they were a little too laden with salt for my taste but their replacement arrived within minutes and were the perfect accompaniment. Nailed it Water Grill!Special Features:
- Nice!JillDined on 9/27/2014We come here about once a month. Great vibe. Now that it's fall it's a little quieter, which is nice because it doesn't take as long to get a seat at the bar. The other night we sat in a booth behind the bar. There were four of us and the evening, food, and service were all great! I love the Lobster Roll (the butter version, not the mayo). The Cesar Salad with mixed greens was uninteresting. But the Wedge was good (and huge) and we started with a seafood platter, which was awesome! Love the fact that you can get 1/2 carafes of an excellent selection of wines.Special Features:
- Great food. Excellent service.RichyVIPDined on 9/26/2014The host, the waiter, the table, the organic green salad and the Chilean Sea Bass were all outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best servicehomerdoh182Dined on 9/26/2014The food was delicious, but the service was remarkable. It is great for small groups to share plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2014I made a reservation just because I haven't been there. I asked for a booth and sure enough it was waiting for us. The manager was wonderful. Our waiter was great. Sommelier was wonderful. Food fabulous! Great great restaurant. I definitely will go back and suggest it to others!Special Features:
- MichaelVIPDined on 9/22/2014good clean fresh tasting fish, served without any pretentiousness. I'd go back regularlySpecial Features:
- okFooddudeVIPDined on 9/22/2014nothing really exceptional - better in the neighborhood. Probably great for tourists
- Fabulous seafood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014I love this place because it's a Michelin 1 star restaurant with a reasonable prize. Ambiance is great, service is fabulous, and seafood is incredibly fresh and cooked just the way they should be. It just doesn't make any sense to go to some other seafood restaurant where the quality is OK but the price is actually still very high. I've been here couple times and would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/21/2014I highly recommend the Water Grill, every single thing we ate was GREAT! Just expensive...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Santa Monica best restaurantAGonFre62VIPDined on 9/20/2014Highly recomended, excelent food and service. A little busy at dinner but they can handle it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service just okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Service left a lot to be desired. She wanted to take our order before we had ordered a cocktail. Wine glasses and empty martini glasses remained on table throughout the meal. At check time- she dropped it unsolicited without a word of thanks or any acknowledgement at all. Then she took her sweet time picking it back up to run the cards. Seemed as though she was in her own little world.
- Not up to Par!!!FredDined on 9/20/2014I've eaten at Water Grill at least a half a dozen times since it took the place of Ocean Avenue Seafood. Prior visits were all outstanding. Saturday night was not. Our waitress did not seem interested in making the experience memorable and was put out when my wife asked for a substitution for the vegatable offered. Her black cod was nearly burnt and poorly presented. The manager was freindly enough and had the kitchen make another piece. My clam chowder was too milky and almost bereft of clams, and my soft shell crab was soggy. For the prices this place charges, I expect superb service and a memorable dining experience. I got neither. I'll give it another shot, probably for lunch, but I was not happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over Price for mediocare food,NoNameVIPDined on 9/20/2014There is nothing special about their expect they are over priced. I have dined in a lot of good restaurant around town but this place doesn't have impressive menu at all, even their cocktail menu doesn't say what kind of Gin or Vodka are using to make those over priced drink. if you are charging me arm and leg for a drink at least tell me cute story and brand name that goes to the glass to convince me. Service wasn't good at all I asked 3 time from 2 different people for an straw and it never made it to our take till we left. our glasses where empty of water till almost end of the dining.
- Didn't Like ItCocoVIPDined on 9/20/2014The view was great. The service was great. Everything else wasn't.Special Features:
- Best Seafood in LAOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014THE place for Seafood in the LA area. The Santa Barbara prawns were exquisite. Our server was very friendly and knowledgeable. It is a very noisy place but if you don't mind the noise, then you must visit the Water Grill. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nive eveningRockybarDined on 9/19/2014Food was nicely prepared in a kitchen enclosed in glass so that you could watch everything that was going on. Lobsters came right out of the tank. Wine list was good and not overpriced. Desert was anticlimactic.Special Features:
- Dinner with the college kidsTownandcountryVIPDined on 9/14/2014We got a recommendation from a friend and so glad we reserved for a sunset dinner with the college kids. The view on Santa Monica beach was perfect as the sun set, our server was knowledgable and attentive, my lobster roll was heavenly and the oyster selection was fantastic. We couldn't make our minds up over the delicious sounding sides, so we ordered them all...it felt like a thanksgiving feast. All in all, I would go back in a minute and gives thumbs up on a review! Well done, Water Grill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatWayneVIPDined on 9/13/2014When booking on Open Table I requested a booth. When I arrived the place was packed, but waiting for us was a booth. The food was excellent from the bread, through the crab cakes, the Dover sole and finally the dessert. Our server was a little surly, but he got the order right and it appeared promptly.Special Features:
- nice for boys nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/11/2014noisy tourist trap big corporate feel but good food fun for groups and less intimate gatheringsSpecial Features:
- Great place for a mini-reunionJohnVIPDined on 9/8/2014Six of us met for Lunch to share stories from the past and had a delightful time as well as a delicious lunch ... our waitress allowed us all the time we needed but provided us outstanding service when we were ready for drinks and each course ... a great afternoon was enjoyed by all of our group.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014Service was warm and attentive. Squid ink pasta and polenta side dish were great. Our lovely server suggested the caramel bread pudding with salted caramel ice cream. It was to die for. Overall great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/20144 out of the five guests thought the food was very good. The place is not a price performer. 5 people two were children sharing a kids meal and a soup. Only two deserts. Only two glasses of wine. $400,.00. Each fish dish was over $35. Service and ambiance was not up to these prices. I've spent as much, I've had better meals. Here I spent much and got less.
- SlickVIPDined on 9/5/2014Loved the water grille. We were lucky to sit at a window table on a Friday night. Service was wonderful as was the meal. Thumbs up!Special Features:
- great choicesfrancophileVIPDined on 9/2/2014I had been to the downtown version of this restaurant and liked it. The Santa Monica location is great because relatively easy to get to, has valet parking, and best of all, has a wonderful selection of shell fish and fish. I had the tuna niçoise which was probably the best I have ever had and I have had it all over the world, including France its home. My partner had the lobster which looked and was reported to be terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and food!Hc777VIPDined on 8/31/2014You can see Santa Monica pier and beach across the street and the food and service are very good. We never felt rushed even though we spent three hours for lunch catching up w friends. Get the cone side dish as it's a fun treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okleedlesDined on 8/29/2014Went here as a 'send off' for our last night of vacation, as my wife and I had been not having typical sit down dinners. So she found this place and made a reservation. There really wasn't anything notable about the food or drinks. The bill was just under $200 with tip, and neither of us felt the wow factor. My wife's scallops were cold. (They seemed to be cooked though from the texture.) The sea bass I had was swimming in butter. Drinks were drinks. Clam chowder soup was great. Overall, I was disappointed over the cost verses quality (of preparation/presentation). For that price point we wanted to have a great last Cali meal, but walked away wondering why we didn't go elsewhere.
- Fantastic fishToinetteVIPDined on 8/27/2014We thoroughly enjoyed a dinner with friends from out of town who requested that we take them to the best fish restaurant in town. Water Grill was beyond our expectations from the selection of seafood, to the quality and preparation of everything and the outstanding service. Really worth the price. We were pleased to find no corkage charge for the special bottle of wine we brought with us. The only criticism we have, but this is true of almost all restaurants in L A, is that recorded music is played in the restaurant. It was not as loud as in other establishments but we would prefer not to hear it and to be able to converse and hear each other easily. This is a fine dining experience that merits a quieter atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.