Water Grill - Santa Monica
1401 Ocean Avenue
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Water Grill - Santa Monica
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.watergrill.com/
- Phone: (310) 394-5669
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Damon Gordon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, View
A word from Water Grill - Santa Monica
For over 20 years, Water Grill has sated the palates of fish lovers. From the moment it opened, this flagship downtown restaurant from King's Seafood Company has satisfied the need for a world-class fish eatery in Los Angeles. Hailed as "the best seafood in Southern California" by the internationally recognized Zagat Guide, Water Grill has consistently offered dazzling fish preparations of superior quality and freshnessContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Water Grill - Santa Monica - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Water Grill - Santa Monica reviews from OpenTable diners
279 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (131)scenic view (118)good for groups (95)hot spot (90)vibrant bar scene (85)special occasion (84)neighborhood gem (71)great for lunch (53)notable wine list (48)romantic (41)great for outdoor dining (30)kid-friendly (26)late-night find (18)great for brunch (12)Show More
- None of the positives of the downtown locationradmanVIPDined on 11/22/2014Good food, but not great food. Very noisy. And they leave the large windows open at the front of the restaurant, which face the ocean, so it would seem like a good idea. But between the ocean and your table is bustling Ocean Avenue, with a bus roaring by every couple of minutes, stopping right in front of your table. Lots of people meandering by on the sidewalk, many of them smoking. Abysmal "move 'em out quick" service. Main courses arrived while appetizers were still being eaten. We sent them back, but not without further disruption as we had to explain to everyone what should have been obvious. Quite disappointing. At least there is free corkage.
- FrenchrunnerVIPDined on 11/22/2014Great place for seafood. We've never tried any meat dihes there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafood meal I have had in years!LuncherVIPDined on 11/16/2014Topnotch food, atmosphere and service -- best meal I have had in 10 years. Pricey but worth every penny. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in a long time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014My husband and I went here during our weekend in Santa Monica. The space is very well designed, and the food was some of the best we have had! We loved the grilled octopus appetizer with pine nuts and olives. The scallop appetizer was also great and the lobster and king crab entrees were excellent. Highly recommend and fit for foodies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrenchrunnerVIPDined on 11/15/2014Great place for oysters and seafood. Very kid friendly and the $ 0 corkage makes it our destination of choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1gardennurseDined on 11/14/2014Great oysters, vibrant but still allows for conversation. Great service. I love the place, but I don't have anything else to saySpecial Features:
- MurrayDined on 11/12/2014Great sea food wonderfully fresh,the best seafood in LASpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like seafoodEatoutoftenDined on 11/10/2014One of the best seafood restaurants that I've been to in the last few yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special meal.beccatDined on 11/10/2014We brought a couple here to celebrate their recent marriage. It was a great place to mark the special occasion. The food was unbelievably good. They had oysters which they said were delicious (I'm not an oyster fan, so I didn't have any). My husband had a steak that was one of the best he's ever had. The seafood is really the star. I had spiny lobster that was so sweet and tender. Excellent attentive service and the manager even stopped by our table to check on how everything was. We had a booth which was nice, but next time I'll ask for a table by the window. Those are the prime seats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Louisiana BoyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Love the restaurant. Great energy. Best seafood ever! Lobsters fresh out tank. Delicious !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatWayneVIPDined on 11/8/2014Never disappointed. Food and service is always excellent.Special Features:
- Awesome!!zombieWalterWhiteDined on 11/8/2014this place was great, the service was outstanding and the bar tenders are on point! Ordered a whiskey sour, bartender recommends he add egg white and threw me off at first but it was legit! We sat down only to try live raw oysters for the first time and were blown away by the amazingly fresh flavors. I highly recommend this place to anyone especially if you're looking for a date spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelySelfproclaimedReviewerDined on 11/8/2014My beat friend and I ate here and received lovely service. The food was great and the atmosphere was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodtravellerDined on 11/7/2014THe restaurant mainly serves seafood. The oysters were fresh, chowder and grilled sea bass were excellent, but the star dishes had to be the entre - steak on bone and grilled scallops (3 in a serving). Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Amazing view/food/serviceLoteriaGlowDined on 11/7/2014Had a work/client lunch here. The space is beautiful and open, overlooking the ocean across the street. The natural light was very nice. Our (very friendly) server was very knowledgeable about the menu and seafood in general, and she was able to recommend several appetizers (mix of raw bar and grilled items) that were all delicious. There were seven of us, and everyone LOVED their entrees; I had the Chilean sea bass, which was PERFECT. We shared a few desserts that were very yummy as well. Pricey but the fish is all top quality--you get what you pay for. An overall excellent experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Removing Plates too EarlyfoodfanVIPDined on 11/4/2014Advisory to all wait staff - please do not remove guests' plates prior to EVERYONE at the table being finished with their meals. Doing so leaves the lone diner feeling awkward and in our case looking for more of the shared food that was on the plates already removed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2014Good food, best chicken I ever had, dover sole and salmon are very tasty, waitress is friendly and the desert - bread pudding is wonderful.Special Features:
- Friendly and attentive staffwhatsinadateDined on 11/1/2014My Swordfish was great but my date was not impressed. She said her Mahi Mahi was too dry and bland. I know the staff were trying to be helpful but we were checked on more often than necessary after dinner during a long conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014Service EXTREMELY slow ... Management very unorganized ... kitchen slow ... food just ok at best unfortunately. We were also stuck in a back room that was very dark, next to a large party ... no view to speak of ... even of the restaurant. Our wine was placed in an ice bucket with wine from other tables, and we had to "ask" where the wine was and to have someone pour when we needed it ... and even then it was difficult to find someone to pour. This is a beautiful restaurant, but management needs to get it together and get the staff trained properly ... or the manager(s) (and there were two or three present - we requested to talk to a manager and we talked to two) need better training.
- Good food but work on serviceinat2000Dined on 10/31/2014Food just as good as downtown location but service was pushy and trying to move us along.
- Water Grill is Greatbrewcat59Dined on 10/31/2014One of my very favorite restaurants in Santa Monica. The food and scenery are both tremendous with great beer and wine selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing seafood and ambianceSAS1Dined on 10/31/2014First time here definitely won't be the last. We had a window seat which have us a great view of the ocean and pier. Food was incredible..been to a lot of seafood restaurants and this one is in the top 10. Tara was a fabulous server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not like I remember the downtown WGhoustonfoodieVIPDined on 10/26/2014Menu and bill did not agree, portion of fish embarrassingly small, nice server but not like I recall the downtown WG
- Another good meal at Water GrillSantaMonicaFrequentDinerDined on 10/25/2014Service was a bit slow on this last trip, which could probably be attributed to the restaurant being packed. As usual, food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itKimmykldDined on 10/25/2014What a great find! Many seafood options to choose from but we made our own custom platter. Loved the open to outside concept. Great prices and over the top service. I will be raving about this place for months!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was enjoyableJohnVIPDined on 10/25/2014A good place to share with friends and family ... a little pricy but service is excellent and fresh fish very good ...Special Features:
- Consistently Greatluckik30VIPDined on 10/25/2014We took some friends who were visiting from out of town here for dinner. This is consistently our favorite place to dine in Santa Monica. Great view and great service coupled with delicious food make for a fabulous dining experience. We will definitely return to Water Grill ;)
- solidluvtoeatDined on 10/25/2014Service was great. I called to ask about corkage and was encouraged to bring in my own wine at no charge. Food was not memorable but solid. Clam chowder, lobster roll were excellent and I would be happy to go back for either or both. Funny I tried to talk my son out of ordering the lobster roll, glad he did not listen to me as it was hands down the best dish. Cioppino was just O.K. Cudos to the staff employee we encountered was warm and friendly, they seemed genuinely happy to be there.Special Features:
- Quiet lovely lunchLEwisDined on 10/25/2014We wanted a quiet place for lunch to discuss some serious matters. I requested a quiet table. It was perfect. The food was delicious. The fresh bread is outrageous. The octopus was great.Special Features:
- Don't miss water grillWestcoastseaDined on 10/23/2014Impeccable service and amazing seafood. Service was great and very informativeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Water Grill's Got Good Eats and FunAresverdeVIPDined on 10/23/2014I keep coming back for the uber succulent crab legs. I nearly always also order lobster of some sort. This time my friend and I shared 4 king crab legs (delicious!) and a spiney lobster served split into two parts. As I've experienced on several visits, the lobster was again overcooked and not particularly succulent. I will not order lobster again here. Everything else was very tasty. All in al it was a good dinner and a fun night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Water Grill is right on the beach. It is attractive, open, fun and friendly. Our table was ready when we walked in the door. The food was fabulous. Open Table made it easy to pick and reserve. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a new classicddnexusDined on 10/16/2014great location with ocean views when you can get a table by the window. mixed crowd, can go casual or dressed up. attentive, friendly service. knew we were celebrating and provided a surprise dessert! will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fine seafood in a relaxed settingruvyDined on 10/15/2014Seafood was fresh and delicious, decor / vibe is much more California beachy / laid-back (versus the more formal location in downtown), which we really liked. Met some out-of-town clients for lunch and they loved the seafood and the setting. Hard to beat this place.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014If you want a great seafood restaurant experience the Water Grill Santa Monica is where you will most definitely find it. Both the food and the service are excellent and are delivered in a wonderful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gtchefDined on 10/12/2014Food was tasty. Server was unprofessoinal. Our server couldn't keep the waters straight for a two top (one sparkling/one still, kept changing throughout the evening). I always start with a Manhattan "up", which arrived on the rocks. He kept asking if he could take our wine glasses away, as opposed to offering a glass with our entrees (which I told him we'd be doing anyway). When I did order the wines he had no clue which one I was asking for (Vietti 'Tre Vigne' Barbera d'Asti, half carafe), and he had no idea how to pronounce it when he finally brought it. Watching him run around the restaurant with nothing in his hands was painful, and the way he hard-pressed the table next to ours about the Live King Crab was embarrassing.
- service slippingJamesVIPDined on 10/12/2014After several repeat visits, the maitre d' would not honor a request for a booth at the window. Aggravating the situation, there was a booth available the whole hour we waited at the bar. We ordered appetizers and left. Even worse, the maitre d' never got us at the bar for the regular table. Inexcusable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014Great vibe. The food is good, not great. Good menu selections of more than ordinary seafood. Service is outstanding.Special Features:
- As good as original + a view.RobSDined on 10/11/20144 diners. 4 dishes + oysters + 1 dessert. Oysters A- All others A ! Portions are not large, but the prep and presentation were superb. Service--very classy, not overbearing--no push to move along. Grand seafood, in a classy locale. Open windows by the front give an outdoor feel! (nice even with the noisy street)Special Features:
- thefressersDined on 10/8/2014We had been there before and loved it. This time was a hurried visit as we were going to the opera and only had an hour for dinner. I so appreciated the staff's understanding and cooperation without attitude. They were able to serve us instantly and the lobster sandwich was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.