Water Grill - Downtown
544 South Grand Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90071Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Water Grill - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.watergrill.com/
- Phone: 2138910900
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10pm; Friday: 11:30am - 11pm; Saturday 5pm - 11pm; Sunday 4pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Damon Gordon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a classic and inviting backdrop for entertaining small and large groups alike.
- Private Party Contact: Jason Klingsberg 2138910900
A word from Water Grill - Downtown
For over 20 years, Water Grill has sated the palates of fish lovers. From the moment it opened, this flagship downtown restaurant from King's Seafood Company has satisfied the need for a world-class fish eatery in Los Angeles. Hailed as "the best seafood in Southern California" by the internationally recognized Zagat Guide, Water Grill has consistently offered dazzling fish preparations of superior quality and freshness.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Water Grill - Downtown - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Water Grill - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
214 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (107)fit for foodies (104)good for groups (59)notable wine list (53)romantic (51)neighborhood gem (50)great for lunch (37)vibrant bar scene (30)hot spot (26)late-night find (13)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Perfect Pick!ClothNapkinDined on 10/17/2014The seafood tower is the best we've had in a very long time. There were no special bells and whistles, just declicous, fresh shellfish of every variety. The oysters were sweet, the shrimp cooked to the perfect bite, every morsel was delectable. AND the price was fair. Each cocktail was perfectly mixed and chilled, the service was attentive, friendly and unpretentious. I give this establishment a 10, the Water Grill exceeded our expectations in every way.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud for group conversationCAbizdiningVIPDined on 10/15/2014I selected Water Grill based on the attractive menu and was not disappointed. We enjoyed a diverse selection of oysters, wines and excellent main courses and deserts. Excellent throughout. My only issue was that this was a business dinner with six people and half of us couldn't hear the other half which might have been because were were close to the kitchen but in any case was very unfortunate. Would recommend Water Grill for social dining or business groups of 4 or less.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014this was my third time at your restaurant. Each occasion I tried somehting different and was very pleased with my slection each time. on Wednesday, was interesting; the tomatoe slice had the store sticker on it as I cut into it. My server was nice and brought me two more new slices of tomatoe. :)Special Features:
- Good seafood selectionfredoysterDined on 10/12/2014Range of entrees is really good including east coast varieties not usually seen in Calif. Vegetable sides could be a meal in themselves.Special Features:
- 100%, superb seafood and vegetablesfredoysterDined on 10/10/2014We were tired after two days of trade show, Water Grill did not disappoint. Excellent fish, salads and dessert. Noise level a little high but bearable. Attentive service without being excessive.Special Features:
- Good downtown seafood spotJSeatsVIPDined on 10/9/2014Its previous incarnation, a more "fine-dining" restaurant, was better, but the new version is still good. Enjoyable with lots of fresh oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait with reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/5/2014Last Sunday wasn't the norm for Water Grill, there was a concert near by and the restaurant was full. We had to wait around 20 mins even with our reservation. The food took longer then normal and when it arrived it wasn't out of the oven or off the grill hot. Our server was very apologetic and even took my meal off the bill since it was way to cold to even eat.
- Great food, not great servicegetinmybellyDined on 10/5/2014Really enjoyed the food - seafood was fresh and prepared very well. We had an appetizer platter of mixed chilled seafood (grand platter?), black cod and west coast lobster, all done very well. Service was spotty - seafood platter was delivered with no explanation of what oysters we had or what all the sauces were. Our main courses arrived while we were still eating the appetizer. And once we had finally finished the appetizer and moved on to the main dishes, our appetizer platter and accoutrements were not cleared. Thought it may be an anomaly but the same thing was happening at the table next to us. Waiter was very nice, it just seemed the service overall needed improvement. We just expect better service when having a $250 dinner for two.Special Features:
- good food, specially the seafoodywu2014Dined on 10/5/2014good food, specially the seafood, okay service.. could be betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- below expectationOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/27/2014Both service and food quality were below expectation. I was there once years ago for business lunch and everything was more professional. Waiter didn't refill our wine and water till I asked for it, even he walked pass and saw our empty glass. We ordered the oyster platter and he left it without telling us which was which. All these little things. It just wasn't the type of service that I expected from Water Grill. No wonder the place wasn't close to full on a Saturday night.
- Good second chanceMaureenDined on 9/24/2014Water Grill had long been a favorite special event restaurant for us. We enjoyed its cool, dark wood, New York atmosphere. It was always quiet. Upon eating there after the remodel we found it to be terribly noisy with no privacy & the menu not as special. Fortunately we decided to try it again & found it to be lovely. Perhaps it was because we were there on a weekday nite or perhaps the newness of the remodel has worn off. All food orders were terrific & the service great.Special Features:
- WoodbalmWoodbalmDined on 9/24/2014Fun birthday evening with the freshest tasting fish ever. Great place for a celebration.I would recommend this to a friend.
- uscuscrobert21kodyDined on 9/20/2014Excellent service. The foo was very tasty. the drinks were great and the environment was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodkandoDined on 9/20/2014From the appetizers to the main course and the service all were impressiveSpecial Features:
- Evening ruined by loud groupDPL79Dined on 9/6/2014Although other tables were available, our party of 2 was seated next to a incredibly loud, vulgar, apparently drunk party of 12. The noise level was so high,we could not hear each other tall even seated kitty corner. Otherwise, the service was excellent and the food almost universally outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE Oysters!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/5/2014I love the Oyster bar! Great for our large group celebrating my friends BD. Service could have been better, a little slow and inattentive.Special Features:
- Go for the raw barlMODDined on 8/31/2014Everything I've had here has been good, but the best part of Water Grill really is the raw bar. Dessert is also surprisingly outstanding. This time, we had the apple cake with sweet cream ice cream (they apparently make their own ice cream), and it was fantastic. The cake was not too sweet and served warm a la mode. The ice cream was not too heavy. Just a really delightful and non-heavy way to end an overall delicious and filling meal.Special Features:
- Worth every dollar.CyclepsychDined on 8/30/2014A great place to celebrate your birthday, anniversary, or any other special occasion. Excellent food and service. A New York ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KCMOVIPDined on 8/29/2014Recommended by a big name downtown LA hotel, and was excellent! The food, the service incredible! Best seafood I have had in a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winner Winner, Seabass Dinner!fatboynotsoslimDined on 8/28/2014The food here is amazing!!The real star of the show is the Chilean Seabass - it just melts in your mouth! EVERY restaurant that serves Chilean Seabass needs to cook it this way. The Polenta was also excellent. Order these and you won't be disappointed. Fresh, flavorful food, fantastic ambiance and very good service - Five-Star dining experience overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good restaurantpochiDined on 8/28/2014There is a very kind waiter in the restaurant and delicious foods in this resraurant. Specially Seafood platter is very good looking and quite tasty. Bread is also good. I could enjoyed the last lunch time before I would have returned to JAPAN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the usualJ2x1VIPDined on 8/27/2014My 'go to' seafood restaurant in LA never disappoints. Outstanding once again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best unicanyongalVIPDined on 8/25/2014The uni is one of the freshest I've eaten, surpassing many Japanese restaurants. Oysters are always top notch, and clams with chorizo is delicious. Great wine selection to boot and love the manager who personally served our wine on my last visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Price is the ProblemCharmboyDined on 8/25/2014I had not been back to Water Grill since it was remodeled. I took 3 men out for a business dinner last week. It is very attractive. It is spacious and still good for talking to people at the table. The food was ok. I had salmon for $42, and it was nothing at all special. For the extra $15 or so for each main course, you do expect taste buds to explode. The salmon was on some liquid, and it was undefined. I must say the other 3 people at the table seemed to enjoy their pasta, their sea bass, and their filet. Each more than $40 though. Salads were ok. The wine is of couse over-priced also. We did not try the oysters or that type of shellfish, so I cannot comment.Special Features:
- HockeyesaDined on 8/22/2014table was ready on time. Service was good and food was outstanding. Specialty drinks were very good. Try the Hemingway daquari and the old fashioned.
- Great Food and ServiceLovedinneroutDined on 8/20/2014We went to The Water Grill for our 25th wedding anniversary. The service was amazing, the food was excellent and the atmosphere was very cozy. We had the Chilean Sea Bass, which was cooked to perfection and the Gnocci that came with it was also mouth watering. The kale with greek yogurt and hazelnuts is also delicious and unique. The waiter was friendly and kept our water full and warm sourdough on our table. After dinner he gave us a dessert "on the house" for our celebration. I loved the decor, the ambiance and the vibe. We also liked the open kitchen concept in the back. It was truly a five star evening for us both and we would not hesitate to return to The Water Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood.Bourbon81Dined on 8/17/2014Second time here, the food was impeccable. I'll defenitely be back with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChuckDined on 8/17/2014Fish is excellent. The oysters are special. We go back for a special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014I had the most wonderful birthday dinner here. I have been to the Water Grill many times, but this was really a most special occasion. The service was outstanding, the food the best, my birthday dessert was delicious, all in all, a most memorable occasion. Andrew made the reservation, but it was my birthday treat, so I am responding for him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun4fishDined on 8/16/2014Wonderful assortment of fresh, tasty oysters. Excellent variety of fresh fish entrees that do not need to be salmon, halibut, or tuna. This added a nice option. A welcome choice and fun evening for all. Wine list was extensive. The menu price and the actual price were not accurate. The restaurant, honored the published lower price; nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite fishAjaxDined on 8/12/2014We love it- it's beautiful, the menu full of diverse choices of the finest, freshest seafood and fish. Servers are at the top of their game. Food is consistently delicious. I had the miso cod and it was perfectly cooked. My friends had the whole loup de mere and aside from all the small bones loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014It's not too often you find restaurants that not only know how to prepare seafood, but have a high quality of seafood. We had the seafood tower, that was delicious. Also, we had the swordfish that was amazing!! We were pleasantly surprised to find that there was no corkage fee! We will always come here when we visit LA.Special Features:
- GreatGoodfishDined on 8/10/2014The nenu has a variety of fish and seafood prepared differnt ways. The service is immaculate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as advertisedAraTucsonDined on 8/8/2014This is considered one of LA's best restaurants. It consistently receives Zagat ratings of 25+ for its food and is said to be the best seafood restaurant in the LA area. Although the seafood served in the restaurant is clearly fresh and the management pays particular attention to customer satisfaction, the cooking is not imaginative or creative. One item we ordered was supposed to be "charcoal grilled" and we were assured that it is grilled on mesquite charcoal. It turned to be done in a special "machine" which had no "charcoal" or "mesquite" effect. The fish was dry, the cioppino was too salty, the toasted bread was not done right, and the fresh sourdough bread served at the beginning was mushy.
- Sorry Charlie...spaceymcnuttyDined on 8/8/2014The Water Grill is past its prime. I took my girlfriend there for her birthday and everything was going great until they did not have the wine I wanted and did not bother to reccomend a replacement. I then chose another one and then they said it was "chilling'. right as they said that our entrees arrived, one of which was my $67 crab legs, which were warm and over cooked. and no wine have with them My girl friends see bas was goo or so she said. I took ot back and ate my salad. They brought free wine and comped my crab legs but that is not what my came there. Go to Kings Fish Grill in Calabasas instead.
- The food is phenomenal!aag338Dined on 8/7/2014From the oysters to the crab cakes everything we ordered was amazing. Hats off to the chef for a superb squid ink pasta with calamari!! Can't wait to come back.Special Features:
- Great FoodInlovewithfoodVIPDined on 8/5/2014Great food and great service. all their fish is amazing but my brother loves their filet MignonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service can be improvedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Great fresh food. Service level can be improved. Waiters mixed up orders and were slow to respond to requests. The demographics of the restaurant be improved to reflect the demographics of Los Angeles. The head servers were only of European decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated. Good serviceSpankyaVIPDined on 8/2/2014Came here for dinner before a show at the Ahmanson. Food was fine, but really overpriced for the quality/ innovation/ uniqueness. The service was excellent - just wished the food was more interesting. Clams were good - nothing special. The Chilean seabass was tasty, but it always is. Scallops were nicely prepared, but again, nothing special.
- No Air ConditioningStevieMacVIPDined on 8/1/2014great service, great food, lot's of fun.....but no air conditioning. Whats the problem-the owners are so cheap they can charge you 60 bucks for a steak but can't afford air conditioning?Special Features: