Water Grill - Downtown
544 South Grand Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90071Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Water Grill - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.watergrill.com/
- Phone: 2138910900
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10pm; Friday: 11:30am - 11pm; Saturday 5pm - 11pm; Sunday 4pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Damon Gordon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a classic and inviting backdrop for entertaining small and large groups alike.
- Private Party Contact: Jason Klingsberg 2138910900
A word from Water Grill - Downtown
For over 20 years, Water Grill has sated the palates of fish lovers. From the moment it opened, this flagship downtown restaurant from King's Seafood Company has satisfied the need for a world-class fish eatery in Los Angeles. Hailed as "the best seafood in Southern California" by the internationally recognized Zagat Guide, Water Grill has consistently offered dazzling fish preparations of superior quality and freshness.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Water Grill - Downtown - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Water Grill - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
232 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (121)fit for foodies (107)romantic (57)good for groups (55)notable wine list (55)neighborhood gem (49)vibrant bar scene (38)great for lunch (37)hot spot (28)late-night find (14)great for brunch (4)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Evening ruined by loud groupDPL79Dined on 9/6/2014Although other tables were available, our party of 2 was seated next to a incredibly loud, vulgar, apparently drunk party of 12. The noise level was so high,we could not hear each other tall even seated kitty corner. Otherwise, the service was excellent and the food almost universally outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the raw barlMODDined on 8/31/2014Everything I've had here has been good, but the best part of Water Grill really is the raw bar. Dessert is also surprisingly outstanding. This time, we had the apple cake with sweet cream ice cream (they apparently make their own ice cream), and it was fantastic. The cake was not too sweet and served warm a la mode. The ice cream was not too heavy. Just a really delightful and non-heavy way to end an overall delicious and filling meal.Special Features:
- Worth every dollar.CyclepsychDined on 8/30/2014A great place to celebrate your birthday, anniversary, or any other special occasion. Excellent food and service. A New York ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KCMOVIPDined on 8/29/2014Recommended by a big name downtown LA hotel, and was excellent! The food, the service incredible! Best seafood I have had in a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winner Winner, Seabass Dinner!fatboynotsoslimDined on 8/28/2014The food here is amazing!!The real star of the show is the Chilean Seabass - it just melts in your mouth! EVERY restaurant that serves Chilean Seabass needs to cook it this way. The Polenta was also excellent. Order these and you won't be disappointed. Fresh, flavorful food, fantastic ambiance and very good service - Five-Star dining experience overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good restaurantpochiDined on 8/28/2014There is a very kind waiter in the restaurant and delicious foods in this resraurant. Specially Seafood platter is very good looking and quite tasty. Bread is also good. I could enjoyed the last lunch time before I would have returned to JAPAN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the usualJ2x1VIPDined on 8/27/2014My 'go to' seafood restaurant in LA never disappoints. Outstanding once again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best unicanyongalVIPDined on 8/25/2014The uni is one of the freshest I've eaten, surpassing many Japanese restaurants. Oysters are always top notch, and clams with chorizo is delicious. Great wine selection to boot and love the manager who personally served our wine on my last visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Price is the ProblemCharmboyDined on 8/25/2014I had not been back to Water Grill since it was remodeled. I took 3 men out for a business dinner last week. It is very attractive. It is spacious and still good for talking to people at the table. The food was ok. I had salmon for $42, and it was nothing at all special. For the extra $15 or so for each main course, you do expect taste buds to explode. The salmon was on some liquid, and it was undefined. I must say the other 3 people at the table seemed to enjoy their pasta, their sea bass, and their filet. Each more than $40 though. Salads were ok. The wine is of couse over-priced also. We did not try the oysters or that type of shellfish, so I cannot comment.Special Features:
- HockeyesaDined on 8/22/2014table was ready on time. Service was good and food was outstanding. Specialty drinks were very good. Try the Hemingway daquari and the old fashioned.
- Great Food and ServiceLovedinneroutDined on 8/20/2014We went to The Water Grill for our 25th wedding anniversary. The service was amazing, the food was excellent and the atmosphere was very cozy. We had the Chilean Sea Bass, which was cooked to perfection and the Gnocci that came with it was also mouth watering. The kale with greek yogurt and hazelnuts is also delicious and unique. The waiter was friendly and kept our water full and warm sourdough on our table. After dinner he gave us a dessert "on the house" for our celebration. I loved the decor, the ambiance and the vibe. We also liked the open kitchen concept in the back. It was truly a five star evening for us both and we would not hesitate to return to The Water Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood.Bourbon81Dined on 8/17/2014Second time here, the food was impeccable. I'll defenitely be back with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChuckDined on 8/17/2014Fish is excellent. The oysters are special. We go back for a special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014I had the most wonderful birthday dinner here. I have been to the Water Grill many times, but this was really a most special occasion. The service was outstanding, the food the best, my birthday dessert was delicious, all in all, a most memorable occasion. Andrew made the reservation, but it was my birthday treat, so I am responding for him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun4fishDined on 8/16/2014Wonderful assortment of fresh, tasty oysters. Excellent variety of fresh fish entrees that do not need to be salmon, halibut, or tuna. This added a nice option. A welcome choice and fun evening for all. Wine list was extensive. The menu price and the actual price were not accurate. The restaurant, honored the published lower price; nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite fishAjaxDined on 8/12/2014We love it- it's beautiful, the menu full of diverse choices of the finest, freshest seafood and fish. Servers are at the top of their game. Food is consistently delicious. I had the miso cod and it was perfectly cooked. My friends had the whole loup de mere and aside from all the small bones loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014It's not too often you find restaurants that not only know how to prepare seafood, but have a high quality of seafood. We had the seafood tower, that was delicious. Also, we had the swordfish that was amazing!! We were pleasantly surprised to find that there was no corkage fee! We will always come here when we visit LA.Special Features:
- GreatGoodfishDined on 8/10/2014The nenu has a variety of fish and seafood prepared differnt ways. The service is immaculate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as advertisedAraTucsonDined on 8/8/2014This is considered one of LA's best restaurants. It consistently receives Zagat ratings of 25+ for its food and is said to be the best seafood restaurant in the LA area. Although the seafood served in the restaurant is clearly fresh and the management pays particular attention to customer satisfaction, the cooking is not imaginative or creative. One item we ordered was supposed to be "charcoal grilled" and we were assured that it is grilled on mesquite charcoal. It turned to be done in a special "machine" which had no "charcoal" or "mesquite" effect. The fish was dry, the cioppino was too salty, the toasted bread was not done right, and the fresh sourdough bread served at the beginning was mushy.
- Sorry Charlie...spaceymcnuttyDined on 8/8/2014The Water Grill is past its prime. I took my girlfriend there for her birthday and everything was going great until they did not have the wine I wanted and did not bother to reccomend a replacement. I then chose another one and then they said it was "chilling'. right as they said that our entrees arrived, one of which was my $67 crab legs, which were warm and over cooked. and no wine have with them My girl friends see bas was goo or so she said. I took ot back and ate my salad. They brought free wine and comped my crab legs but that is not what my came there. Go to Kings Fish Grill in Calabasas instead.
- The food is phenomenal!aag338Dined on 8/7/2014From the oysters to the crab cakes everything we ordered was amazing. Hats off to the chef for a superb squid ink pasta with calamari!! Can't wait to come back.Special Features:
- Great FoodInlovewithfoodVIPDined on 8/5/2014Great food and great service. all their fish is amazing but my brother loves their filet MignonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service can be improvedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Great fresh food. Service level can be improved. Waiters mixed up orders and were slow to respond to requests. The demographics of the restaurant be improved to reflect the demographics of Los Angeles. The head servers were only of European decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated. Good serviceSpankyaVIPDined on 8/2/2014Came here for dinner before a show at the Ahmanson. Food was fine, but really overpriced for the quality/ innovation/ uniqueness. The service was excellent - just wished the food was more interesting. Clams were good - nothing special. The Chilean seabass was tasty, but it always is. Scallops were nicely prepared, but again, nothing special.
- No Air ConditioningStevieMacVIPDined on 8/1/2014great service, great food, lot's of fun.....but no air conditioning. Whats the problem-the owners are so cheap they can charge you 60 bucks for a steak but can't afford air conditioning?Special Features:
- One of the best for seafood in L.A.MisterchkDined on 8/1/2014Our reservation (through OPEN TABLE) was clearly for August 1st (confirmed by email from O.T.) - The restaurant finally found the rez listed on their system for August 2nd! BUT, was IMMEDIATELY advised that this was not a problem. The host/hostess within 45 seconds arranged (in my opinion) one of the best locations in the establishment and our party was seated exactly on time. No need for details on the food. With six of us we had the whole "gamit" of the offerings and simply "if it is on the menu" it is prepared perfectly and will taste wonderfully. One notable mention - the Clam Chowder is extraordinary - if you are a lover of New England Chowder do not leave without enjoying this unique version.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood is very good, service lacksFogoFanVIPDined on 8/1/2014The fresh seafood is great but the cooked fish is a bit insuficient... Do not eat meat hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2014Nice down spot with great very fresh seafood. Raw bar was fresh, Crab cakes were nicely done and the Big Eye Tuna was excellent, only wish the service matched up. Waiter was rushed and seemed disinterested. We asked for all the food to be served at the same time, that way the person having only raw bar food would have their food with everyone else. Since the restaurant was empty, the raw bar oysters came right away and just sat there for 10 minutes while the food was prepared and served. Bottom line, Great food, Nice place, spotty service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a business dinnerValerieLDined on 7/28/2014I had a business dinner and wanted to have good food and wine but be able to have a conversation as well. I was not at all disappointed as noise level was manageable and the food was exceptional. We had the shrimp and oysters to start and the Dover sole as our entree. All were fresh and well prepared and delicious. Don't pass on the bread pudding which was by far the best of three desserts we sampled. Wine list was varied and we enjoyed a Pino Noir from Oregon that complemented the meal very well. Service was attentive, friendly and expedient. It was a lovely evening and I look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Very good. Solid Restaraunt.KEDS4FOODDined on 7/28/2014Went in a whim, and so pleased we did. Good bread, nice wine menu, and just a good night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK restaurantBlingDined on 7/24/2014I excitedly went to the restaurant for DineLA special. My friends and I ordered Salmon, Sawfish and Albacores. On none of them that I can use "Tasty". The only thing that I can say good about the food is the fish quality but the taste is just so so. If there is next time, I will try their Oyster since most people say good things about it. It is a famous restaurant with good reputation in Downtown LA but I was really disappointed about the food.Special Features:
- MaryGVIPDined on 7/22/2014Wonderful lunch. Be sure to try their clam chowder - best I ever had!Special Features:
- Water GrillKmd24VIPDined on 7/21/2014I went during LA restaurant week and then menu was amazing! The oysters and swordfish were definitely worth it! Great service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DineLA weekTad1Dined on 7/21/2014We have been to The Water Grill many times and have had amazing experiences here. However, our DineLA visit was a real let down compared to the other visits. We went on a Monday and it felt like the A game chefs were not there that night. We had to send the Mahi Mahi back as it was so over salted it was inedible. My usually moist swordfish was not quite up to last time either. So sadly we will be taking a break from The Water Grill and looking for other places for those special treat night out! On an A Game night - this place is amazing though so don't let this little hiccup put you off!Special Features:
- DineLa - Water Grill Downtown Exp.Ready2EatDined on 7/19/2014Our dinner (party of 4) was booked through the DineLa site - hoping to take advantage of the DineLa Program. However, once we were seated, we were informed that the Restaurant was not participating on weekends - and while they had informed the website - clearly that had not made it through the system. Well, Alex, the Manager-on-Duty, was kind enough to offer us a couple of desserts, if we chose to stay. Considering it was late already - we stayed and had a great experience. Additionally, Alex was also able to offer us the DineLa menu - but by this team our attention had been drawn to the main menu!Special Features:
- No notice on no Dine LAEddieDined on 7/19/2014Originally, we were booking for Dine LA. However, we were told that there is no Dine LA on 7/19 weekend when we arrived and seated. It was the only surprised to us. But, the food is really good over all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great change!Marsee3VIPDined on 7/19/2014Love the new vibe since the decor was changed. Food was awesome . Luis was a great waiter. We will be back soon !Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, ok serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014Table was not balanced and would wobble. Table request not accommodated. Desert was served in the incorrect order.
- Way to noisykittyDined on 7/16/2014There were many large parties and we had to shout at each other to be heard. Ruined the evening for the 4 of us!Special Features:
- Losing it's lustre?seafoodgirlVIPDined on 7/15/2014Having been Water Grill loyalists for 10 years and it has always been our go-to for special nights. On this evening, celebrating my Dad's 75th birthday, we took him to Water Grill and were so disappointed. We ordered our favorite bottle of champagne, but it was not available. We ordered a second... and it was not available. We then ordered a third and it was 20 minutes to chill (which was not mentioned to us).... so a very slow and aggravating start. Followed by oysters (great), urchin (amazing) and crab claws that were awful (so obviously frozen - so salty and mushy). Entrees were nice except for my Mother's fave spot prawns which were incredibly mealy and so unappealing that she left more than half. Very disappointing visit.