Water Grill - Downtown
544 South Grand Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90071Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Water Grill - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.watergrill.com/
- Phone: (213) 891-0900
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10pm; Friday: 11:30am - 11pm; Saturday 5pm - 11pm; Sunday 4pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Damon Gordon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a classic and inviting backdrop for entertaining small and large groups alike.
- Private Party Contact: Jason Klingsberg 2138910900
A word from Water Grill - Downtown
For over 20 years, Water Grill has sated the palates of fish lovers. From the moment it opened, this flagship downtown restaurant from King's Seafood Company has satisfied the need for a world-class fish eatery in Los Angeles. Hailed as "the best seafood in Southern California" by the internationally recognized Zagat Guide, Water Grill has consistently offered dazzling fish preparations of superior quality and freshness.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Water Grill - Downtown - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Water Grill - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (103)special occasion (91)good for groups (64)notable wine list (54)neighborhood gem (47)romantic (35)great for lunch (32)vibrant bar scene (28)hot spot (25)late-night find (12)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great downtown meeting place.dininggalDined on 11/22/2014We met another couple here for dinner. We had drinks in the bar waiting for our party. It's more relaxed now that the restaurant has need remodeled. Lots of fun at the bar. Our table was great and our waiter very attentive. All of our food was fantastic. I have a food allergy and they were very accommodating. The fish was the best I've had. Enjoyed immensely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CulinaryVIPDined on 11/22/2014hands down one of the best lobster rolls in Southern Cal. Also, the clam shodwer is head and shoulder above the rest of the competition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Fish aroundDDDiners2VIPDined on 11/22/2014Water Grill is probably the best and most consistent restaurant around for the freshest and most unusual products. Service and ambiance is terrific. Perfect for an after-Music Center event, Oh, by the way - it's not inexpensive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/15/2014I have eaten at the Water Grill many times and always enjoyed it, until last week. Although we had a great waiter, the food was disappointing. Fish was overcooked, and the steamed Dungeness crab was pretty tasteless. And the coleslaw that accompanied it was pretty awful. Perhaps it was just an off-night for the restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent, not greatSerioustylerVIPDined on 11/15/2014All in all it was a fine meal. Ambience is lively and server was adequately attentive. Raw oysters and shrimp cocktail were fresh, but fish and chips and french fries were so over salted, they were not edible. Dover sole was delicious, but expensive. Caramel sundae was a highlight of the meal which is sad considering they are a seafood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Coming Backdamoses21VIPDined on 11/14/2014We have been frequenting Water Grill for the past 2 years and it has been consistently going down hill, but thought we would give it one last shot. Service was very poor. The fries with our burger were burnt. The place was empty on a Friday at 1pm should have known.
- Ordered the wrong thing40yearsafoodieDined on 11/12/2014We went on a busy Wed night and we had Open Table reservations. The host was attentive to the line that was forming, and we were given the option of being seated immediately or waiting a few minutes for a better table. We opted to wait and had a nice booth within 2 minutes. The waitress had a large group and a couple of booths and I was worried about the service. She was attentive and never missed a beat. We ordered Miso soup to start. Strange smokey flavor, I guess I wasn't prepared for. I couldn't get over it. Husband ordered the fish and chips. The fish was a nice thick cut, and the batter was crisp. Fries were a little soft, not bad, but I prefer crispier fries. I ordered the Black Cod and I didn't like any of the flavors. Overall, for the price, I was disapointed. If I had ordered differently, I may have had a different experience.Special Features:
- Ready for moreRef1Dined on 11/10/2014Made the reservation for 9 pm not knowing much about the place except for what others wrote. My experience was great, good food, great service and because we celebrated a birthday, the restaurant gave the birthday girl her own dessert which made her feel special.Special Features:
- Consistently The City's Best FishJoeFoodVIPDined on 11/6/2014This DTLA staple just keeps on delivering. Years of high quality seafood and outstanding service make it a must.Special Features:
- AFTER OPERAKarinaTable55Dined on 11/2/2014Was looking forward to this...it was however a bit of a disappointment. The waitress was scattered and hard to find; the food arrived without our vegetable side we ordered; the diet coke was nearly flat, they had no herbal teas; the desert was a disappointment.Special Features:
- SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014My husband and I had excellent quality seafood. Very nice setting. We will be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QualityDaveDined on 10/31/2014Celebrated a Halloween birthday with a meal at the Water Grill. We each opened the meal with clam chowder, which was't my favorite. I did not like how they integrated the potato (small thin slices) and the consistency was on the watery side. The main dishes were steamed Maine Lobster and cioppino, which were both excellent. Outstanding service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Less Than WonderfulSwinglineVIPDined on 10/31/2014Both previously and now with the new(ish) renovation, this place is never less than stellar. The quality of ingredients of fantastic (try a cold shellfish tower) and service is always spot on without being pretentious. Can't say enough good things about this place. Just because it's not a new hot-spot, don't miss out.Special Features:
- Good SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/29/2014This restaurant is across the street from the hotel we stayed in. Extra points for convenience and quality. It is expensive, but you get what you pay for. Be sure to ask the prices for the seafood you order or the server suggests, or, you may be surprised with the bill. Very disappointed that so many oysters and other seafood were unavailable at 7:00 pm on during the week, and, that our server declined to tell us (although he was at our table multiple times before we even placed our order) or mention items not on the menu that he shared with other tables.
- Selection of seafood is incredible!CACoastladyDined on 10/26/2014There is a casual ambiance about the Water Grill that is inviting after a busy day in LA. The fish selection makes choosing difficult and it's very fresh. I had some reservations about the preparation of the sea scallops I ordered. The sauce was too heavy for this delicacy. The portions were a bit small for the price, but otherwise, we enjoyed our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with FamilyFamilyofFourDined on 10/25/2014We dine at the Water Grill for the Half Shell Oysters and Chilled Shellfish. The entire family always has an enjoyable dining experience here.Special Features:
- Great Downtown Spot...JimboVIPDined on 10/24/2014If you are looking for a nice place to have a great fish dinner Downtown look no further. I have been going to this place for many years and it never disappoints.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/22/2014Excellent food, service, ambiance, vibe...had a great evening!!! From the Host/Hostess until we paid the check - everything was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Pick!ClothNapkinDined on 10/17/2014The seafood tower is the best we've had in a very long time. There were no special bells and whistles, just declicous, fresh shellfish of every variety. The oysters were sweet, the shrimp cooked to the perfect bite, every morsel was delectable. AND the price was fair. Each cocktail was perfectly mixed and chilled, the service was attentive, friendly and unpretentious. I give this establishment a 10, the Water Grill exceeded our expectations in every way.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud for group conversationCAbizdiningVIPDined on 10/15/2014I selected Water Grill based on the attractive menu and was not disappointed. We enjoyed a diverse selection of oysters, wines and excellent main courses and deserts. Excellent throughout. My only issue was that this was a business dinner with six people and half of us couldn't hear the other half which might have been because were were close to the kitchen but in any case was very unfortunate. Would recommend Water Grill for social dining or business groups of 4 or less.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014this was my third time at your restaurant. Each occasion I tried somehting different and was very pleased with my slection each time. on Wednesday, was interesting; the tomatoe slice had the store sticker on it as I cut into it. My server was nice and brought me two more new slices of tomatoe. :)Special Features:
- Good seafood selectionfredoysterDined on 10/12/2014Range of entrees is really good including east coast varieties not usually seen in Calif. Vegetable sides could be a meal in themselves.Special Features:
- 100%, superb seafood and vegetablesfredoysterDined on 10/10/2014We were tired after two days of trade show, Water Grill did not disappoint. Excellent fish, salads and dessert. Noise level a little high but bearable. Attentive service without being excessive.Special Features:
- Good downtown seafood spotJSeatsVIPDined on 10/9/2014Its previous incarnation, a more "fine-dining" restaurant, was better, but the new version is still good. Enjoyable with lots of fresh oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait with reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/5/2014Last Sunday wasn't the norm for Water Grill, there was a concert near by and the restaurant was full. We had to wait around 20 mins even with our reservation. The food took longer then normal and when it arrived it wasn't out of the oven or off the grill hot. Our server was very apologetic and even took my meal off the bill since it was way to cold to even eat.
- Great food, not great servicegetinmybellyVIPDined on 10/5/2014Really enjoyed the food - seafood was fresh and prepared very well. We had an appetizer platter of mixed chilled seafood (grand platter?), black cod and west coast lobster, all done very well. Service was spotty - seafood platter was delivered with no explanation of what oysters we had or what all the sauces were. Our main courses arrived while we were still eating the appetizer. And once we had finally finished the appetizer and moved on to the main dishes, our appetizer platter and accoutrements were not cleared. Thought it may be an anomaly but the same thing was happening at the table next to us. Waiter was very nice, it just seemed the service overall needed improvement. We just expect better service when having a $250 dinner for two.Special Features:
- good food, specially the seafoodywu2014Dined on 10/5/2014good food, specially the seafood, okay service.. could be betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- below expectationOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/27/2014Both service and food quality were below expectation. I was there once years ago for business lunch and everything was more professional. Waiter didn't refill our wine and water till I asked for it, even he walked pass and saw our empty glass. We ordered the oyster platter and he left it without telling us which was which. All these little things. It just wasn't the type of service that I expected from Water Grill. No wonder the place wasn't close to full on a Saturday night.
- Good second chanceMaureenDined on 9/24/2014Water Grill had long been a favorite special event restaurant for us. We enjoyed its cool, dark wood, New York atmosphere. It was always quiet. Upon eating there after the remodel we found it to be terribly noisy with no privacy & the menu not as special. Fortunately we decided to try it again & found it to be lovely. Perhaps it was because we were there on a weekday nite or perhaps the newness of the remodel has worn off. All food orders were terrific & the service great.Special Features:
- WoodbalmWoodbalmDined on 9/24/2014Fun birthday evening with the freshest tasting fish ever. Great place for a celebration.I would recommend this to a friend.
- uscuscrobert21kodyDined on 9/20/2014Excellent service. The foo was very tasty. the drinks were great and the environment was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodkandoDined on 9/20/2014From the appetizers to the main course and the service all were impressiveSpecial Features:
- Evening ruined by loud groupDPL79Dined on 9/6/2014Although other tables were available, our party of 2 was seated next to a incredibly loud, vulgar, apparently drunk party of 12. The noise level was so high,we could not hear each other tall even seated kitty corner. Otherwise, the service was excellent and the food almost universally outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE Oysters!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/5/2014I love the Oyster bar! Great for our large group celebrating my friends BD. Service could have been better, a little slow and inattentive.Special Features:
- Go for the raw barlMODDined on 8/31/2014Everything I've had here has been good, but the best part of Water Grill really is the raw bar. Dessert is also surprisingly outstanding. This time, we had the apple cake with sweet cream ice cream (they apparently make their own ice cream), and it was fantastic. The cake was not too sweet and served warm a la mode. The ice cream was not too heavy. Just a really delightful and non-heavy way to end an overall delicious and filling meal.Special Features:
- Worth every dollar.CyclepsychDined on 8/30/2014A great place to celebrate your birthday, anniversary, or any other special occasion. Excellent food and service. A New York ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KCMOVIPDined on 8/29/2014Recommended by a big name downtown LA hotel, and was excellent! The food, the service incredible! Best seafood I have had in a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winner Winner, Seabass Dinner!fatboynotsoslimDined on 8/28/2014The food here is amazing!!The real star of the show is the Chilean Seabass - it just melts in your mouth! EVERY restaurant that serves Chilean Seabass needs to cook it this way. The Polenta was also excellent. Order these and you won't be disappointed. Fresh, flavorful food, fantastic ambiance and very good service - Five-Star dining experience overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good restaurantpochiDined on 8/28/2014There is a very kind waiter in the restaurant and delicious foods in this resraurant. Specially Seafood platter is very good looking and quite tasty. Bread is also good. I could enjoyed the last lunch time before I would have returned to JAPAN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the usualJ2x1VIPDined on 8/27/2014My 'go to' seafood restaurant in LA never disappoints. Outstanding once again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.