249 N Water St
Milwaukee, WI 53202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.waterbuffalomilwaukee.com/
- Phone: (414) 431-1133
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily at 11:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Alex Sazama
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private space can accommodate up to 150 guests in the summer; great for group gatherings. No matter the occasion, Water Buffalo is the perfect spot for your event.
- Private Party Contact: Erin Peschel 414-455-2115x
A word from Water Buffalo
Milwaukee's favorite riverfront bar and restaurant in the heart of the historic third ward. Fantastic outdoor riverfront seating as well as a dynamic, highly designed space with a varied casual menu. Plenty of parking via street parking, nearby structures and valet on Fridays and Saturdays. This may be the most unique Riverfront restaurant and bar in Milwaukee.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Water Buffalo - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
Water Buffalo reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (30)great for outdoor dining (24)fit for foodies (22)good for groups (16)great for lunch (15)special occasion (15)neighborhood gem (14)romantic (12)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (8)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Great food sit outside if you can!AndrewSDined on 11/15/2014My girlfriend and I came here for dinner one night while we were downtown for a play and wanted to find something convenient off of Water Street. We were seated right away even on a busy Friday night and had an excellent server. You can't beat the view inside or out but I would recommend sitting outside of the weather is permitting. Our food came quickly and was very good but just needed a little something to take it over the top. Regardless the food tasted very fresh and I'll take that any day over the alternative! I will be back again hopefully when the weather is a little warmer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MUdinerDined on 11/9/2014The lobster rangoon was amazing! Never had to ask for a refill on our water or diet coke the service was so good. Great place for lunch- can't wait to go back and try it for dinner and drinks.Special Features:
- enjoygoodeatsenjoygoodeatsDined on 11/8/2014This was our second time dining at Water Buffalo. Our first visit was wonderful-great food and fab service, prompting us to take some friends the second time. This time, the server was only adequate, the food, while good, seemed to be half-portions of what we received the first time. A little hard to have table conversation when packed in so close to the other tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014I have been to Water Buffalo before and had excellent service and food. Both were just OK this time.Special Features:
- Small portiongopack4Dined on 10/20/2014Had been a few years since we've been here, and won't likely return soon given the many options now in 3rd Ward. Small tuna entrée. Ordered carafe of Sangria. Was quite watered down w/ ice.
- Excellent ExperienceTrevorLBrooksVIPDined on 10/11/2014The Water Buffalo was wonderful, the service and food was perfect, the setting and décor only add to it. Definitely someplace I would go again.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014The water buffalo was a great way to cap our trip to Milwaukee. Despite arriving early for our reservation, they sat us quickly. Everything on the menu sounded wonderful so our very helpful waitress helped us decide what fit our mood that evening. The scallops were cooked perfectly and the filet was tender and cooked as asked. When we return to Milwaukee, we will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for gathering and diningLauraMDined on 10/3/2014We always enjoy Water Buffalo on visits to Milwaukee. The food is well-prepared and satisfying and our service this time especially was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/16/2014Excellent value on a Tuesday night. 4 people ate 3 course meal with wine for $100. You don't find that in the third Ward. Tender cuts of meat too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location with a dramatic viewCulinaryDignitaryDined on 9/13/2014Food was excellent and Chimeny Rock was sublime. Keith was our wait person and he made Water Bufalo proud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere& staff, okay food.mbfoodie12Dined on 8/23/2014I've been here one in the past and the food was really good, but I just was not thrilled this time. The staff was nice, but the food was not memorable. I wish the ahi tuna salad had a little more substance to it, maybe more avocado or something. My friends said their dishes were okay too. With that said, it was really good in the past, maybe I just ordered the wrong thing. The atmosphere is very cool, staff was nice, so I will be back to try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good, but service notjjv104Dined on 8/15/2014We had an outside table on a beautiful evening. The server came immediately. So far so go. We had drinks from the bar, but he pressed us for an appetizer and we hadn't even had a chance to look at the menu. After that it was all down hill. Constantly had to wait for him and additional drinks. Food was delivered by staff. Table was bussed correctly but silver ware was not replaced and we had to find someone to get a fork when the entrées were delivered. The food was very good and reasonably priced. I will go back and hope we have a different server.Special Features:
- crystalmompa5Dined on 8/12/2014Nice ambiance. Food bland and very pedestrian. Missing the mark... when it comes to culinary skills. A real shame, as I think the location on the water gives it great potential.Special Features:
- first time visitlifechangesDined on 8/11/2014I was very disappointed with the food selection, the long wait for food that had to be sent back. Half of our party was finished before the other half even got their food. very inattentive server. we wont go back
- Weekday lunchdineExpert09Dined on 8/8/2014Me and my girlfriend went there for lunch Friday afternoon. We sat outside on the patio and it was pretty nice. I wish they had more umbrella shades though because it got hot pretty fast being in the sun. Our server was okay. He wasn't bad but definitely not the best. He forgot to bring out silverware and a soup spoon with our soup. Not very talkative at all. We both had the pulled pork sandwich and OMG was it delicious! Overall very good place to eat lunch. We'll probably go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice before performanceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Went to Phantom of the Opera. The staff was attentive to our schedule and gracious to our needs. We really count on the consistent quality of our experiences here.Special Features:
- Very warm inside...BlandDined on 7/26/2014Apparently there wasn't outdoor seating available, so we sat inside. The food was great, but it was extremely warm inside.Special Features:
- The following 473 reviews are from the Water Buffalo reviews archive.
- Great evening out!GlutenfreedinerVIPDined on 7/21/2014First we did a brief happy hour and the bartenders were friendly and knowledgable. Following we ate dinner outside. The wine list has unusual and moderately priced wines. Again the staff was knowledgable about those too, and we loved our selection. The food was very good, especially the kale salad. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really niceSeanDined on 7/12/2014Excellent spot on the Milwaukee River Walk. Lots of outdoor and indoor seating. Very urban views on the river. Food was very good, with lots of options. Plenty of comfort food, but also some more gourmet choices. Service was good, but there were a couple of times where our waiter disappeared for a while and we had to go to the bar to refill our drinks, but this was minor. Service was friendly and food was very well prepared. Great placeSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Casual dining but menu not casual. Should at least offer a burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sweet spotbiniDined on 7/7/2014just off the main street, with a lovely river view - very diverse menu, and a waiter who was SO kind... i was with my sons, the table next to us was on an obvious "match" date, and beyond them a table of 8 women... the scene seemed to fit for everyone!Special Features:
- Romantic SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2014Really tasty food. I had the steak, my wife had the shrimp salad. Both dishes had great taste. Very quiet for a Saturday night, but it is just what we wanted. Close proximity to the riverwalk. Great time!Special Features:
- Best feature is outdoor seatingDinerVIPDined on 6/29/2014Nice location and lots of interesting options on the menu, but our food choices and service were just okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnydinnerDined on 6/14/2014The outside seating is a great setting with a great view! Our service was very good. Our food was wonderful,- appetizers, salad and our dinner all came out perfectly timed. The menu is on the small side but lots of amazing food to choose from. We've been here a few times and will go back again!Special Features:
- Fantastic Food, Okay Servicenatalie2303Dined on 6/13/2014We were seated in a back corner, which wasn't very appealing since I had asked on my reservation for the best view available. We had the chicken puffs which I would totally recommend. Very good and a nice size of appetizer. Between courses, my husband had ordered a 2nd beer. When our main course came, the beer still hadn't arrived, so he asked again. She did bring it and said since we waited so long for it she would put it on the house. That was nice. I had the beef kabobs and my husband had the pork chops. Both were very good both in taste and presentation. We didn't order extra sides and had plenty to eat. The waitress seemed very slow with us, not quick to fill waters or get us what we needed. But overall great experience.Special Features:
- Overall GoodOrganicGirlDined on 6/13/2014Nice Historic Third Ward restaurant...service could have been better, but was't the worst we've had either. A little loud inside, but some like that! Food was good, but not outstanding. Over all good though and we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food..CandaceDined on 6/13/2014First time visiting. Great place! Beautiful location and decor. My husband and I will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Good ServicekmacmilwDined on 6/11/2014Tried Water Buffalo for the first time during Milwaukee's Downtown Dining Week and it was definitely a great choice. Started with the lobster rangoon which was very delicious. For the main course I had the beef kebab, and the beef was very good, and the mashed potatoes were some of the best mashed potatoes that I have ever had.Special Features:
- Love it or Leave itWobblyDined on 6/11/2014This location is wonderful. The setting is beautiful cream city brick with a warm urban flair. The food was fantastic, but the service and customer service could use a little work. Flexibility is a must to accommodate your guests. If your one that needs to eat and run, this might not be your best option. If you have several hours to chat and enjoy the time at your table, then this is a true gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown DiningknockitoutDined on 6/10/2014Took advantage of their Downtown Dining deal. The food was really good and the service was very attentive. Would like to try on a nice day and experience the outdoor seating area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Dining WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Went for a late lunch during Downtown Dining Wekk, the menu was excellent and everything was prepared perfectly. The only complaint is that the food came too quickly for each course. Our server (Chelsea - who was very friendly and attentive) said that earlier the kitchen had been struggling to keep up.Special Features:
- Just a great place to go.KlinkiDined on 6/7/2014Crab cakes and shrimp tacos were delicious. Bloody Mary the best I've had in a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer spotOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/6/2014Great for summer outdoor dining. They do allow dogs on the patio. Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible experienceMrBeauDined on 5/25/2014We had a terrible experience on Sunday 5/25. The bar was not full but service was slow, tap beer not available, bottled beer selection had many unavailable items. Had requested outside seating in res. No note in reservation when arrived delayed seating (they should read notes if some are provided). Slow service, bar order lost said waiter, inexperienced waiter seemed to be struggling but trying. 1/2 hour for drinks at table to arrive. Apps > 1/2 hour. Then waiter lost tray of drinks on the mesh table soaking me and one other guest (I caught the red wine headed for our wives). We left before apps served. really unfortunate.
- Great food!mamaleetzDined on 5/11/2014The food was great, as always, but the waiter was extremely inexperienced. Had to ask twice and wait 15 minutes for a booster chair, when it was indicated on the reservation and noted with the hostess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014It was Mother's Day. Our server was rude, apathetic, and barely spoke to us. I've dined here twice before and had great food and service. I won't be returning.Special Features:
- Week night visitWinelover29Dined on 4/24/2014In town a year ago and enjoyed the experience so gave it another try this week. We were not disappointed as we all tried "different" things on the menu and were very satisfied. Our server was very accommodating and even allowed me to swap out drinks at no charge. (initial wine choice was not what I had hoped) With a son in school nearby, we will make sure to stop by again when in town, hopefully when the weather is nicer to enjoy the river view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely anniversary dinnerglobalfoodieDined on 4/20/2014It was our anniversary and my husband and I had a great time. The only complaint I would have is that there are not many options for vegetarians. Otherwise the food was fresh and very flavorful. The ambience was also great and we had a very good time on a sunday evening.Special Features:
- Great place along the riverdiningoutDined on 4/20/2014I called to confirm our reservation and the hostess was incredibly friendly and that friendliness continued throughout the dining experience. Our waiter was attentive, but did not hover, and the food was wonderful! I had the steak kebob, my husband had the fried chicken sandwich, and our son had a burger - all was great! The location in Milwaukee's historic Third Ward along the river was beautiful.Special Features:
- Great Fish FryMexicanaddictVIPDined on 4/4/2014Great food, lovely service and overall a wonderful night.Special Features: