Washington St. Bistro
23 Washington St
Morristown, NJ 07960Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Washington St. Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://washingtonstbistro.com/
- Phone: 9732677425x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ray Luetters
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout
- Catering: Full Off-Site Catering service available, from small private diner parties in your home, to large and corporate events, we work with you to design a menu tailored to your tastes and budget. We can also hold your event at our restaurant.
A word from Washington St. Bistro
Opened in late February of 2013, just off the green in historic Morristown, Washington St. Bistro is a reflection upon the culinary traditions and influences of Gen. George Washington as well as those of our Founding Fathers, while employing today's cooking techniques. Having been described as ‘Inspired Colonial Fare’, the seasonal, creative and inventive menu offers a range of distinctive flavors one can enjoy. The walls of this 40-seat American Bistro display the works of local artists and creates an ambiance that is both warm and inviting. Washington St. Bistro, a BYO restaurant, is open for lunch and dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Washington St. Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (28)romantic (16)special occasion (8)great for lunch (7)good for groups (4)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- dinerDined on 9/27/2014overall a great experience. food was very good but our waiter was very rigid and not the nicest. hostess was sweetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleaseddidIeatallthatDined on 9/27/2014Cozy romantic decor w exposed brick walls. Complimentary small french rolls arrived warm and were delicious. Split the terrific Mussels Steamed with Dark Rum and Coconut Milk app- the broth was so flavorful, we almost asked to take it home -stuffed ourselves dipping the fresh rolls. Salmon and skirt steak were both perfectly cooked and highly recommended; minor criticisms: the crispy polenta was not my preferred side for the very tender bourbon bbq skirt steak and would have preferred a more substantial vegetable side to the small mound of sprouts. Fennel, sage and saffron cream sauce on the salmon was delicious (another bread dipper). Deserts and coffee were reasonably priced and enticing, but we were full! Would definitely return.Special Features:
- YkcatykcatDined on 9/21/2014What a joy to find this gem in Morristown. Great food and a lovely atmosphere. BYOB. We will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedthigpenDined on 9/20/2014This restaurant was rated 1# on tripadvisor, however, I have to say, "it was not an epic meal". The place is super small, so the noise level is high. The food was average. Nothing to write home about. It was good, not great. I expected more from a restrauant that was rated 1# place in Morristown.Special Features:
- Good meal amazing serviceParisfan2Dined on 9/18/2014Had an excellent dinner at Washington St Bistro recently. Chose it for a family birthday celebration and were not disappointed. Service was professional, warm, caring and friendly. Food was very good. Favorites were the the fish special the delicious artichoke app. Hubby loved the terrine . We all enjoyed the interesting mix of menu options (we had more and less adventurous eaters in our party. ) Finally I really appreciate that specials and their prices are written and not just recited. Makes ordering so much easier. In total a good experience.We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Third Good Meal HereMisterTravelFellaVIPDined on 9/12/2014Mi husband and I had dinner for the third time on a recent Friday evening. We began with the special terrine, made of scallops, corn and leeks, which was velvety and sweet and served with a sun-dried tomato pesto on the side. For entrees, we had the BBQ skirt steak (and substituted the smoked gouda grits for the poletna which was the side on the menu) and the fish special, a halibut filet in a beurre monte sauce with sea beans. The steak had been skillfully cooked, not tough at all, and the BBQ sauce was quite subtle. The fish was impeccably fresh and beautifully cooked; however, the beurre monte was bland and the sea beans were underdone. But those are small criticisms. Overall: a terrific meal and we will return!Special Features:
- Quality and CareFoodie65Dined on 9/11/2014Been to many of the celebrity chief restaurants and Washington St. Bistro ranks on the same level. Our party all had different items and all prepared to perfection. Chef/Owner Ray Luetters provides an interesting and exciting menu. He visited our table and was a pleasure and very engaging. I plan to use him to cater an offsite event in the future. A foodies paradise.Special Features:
- Great BYO in MorristownLovetoTravelVIPDined on 9/6/2014If you blink, you will walk right past the door to this fantastic restaurant. It is a very small restaurant right on Washington Street and Schyler. The food was great and very creative. The Boar was flavorful and didn't have a gamey taste. The cod and potatoes was very fresh. You can't go wrong with anything.Special Features:
- Great findWaltDined on 8/23/2014We were very impressed with this wonderful addition to the Morristown dining scene. Menu was creative, food well prepared and well presented. We look forward to the fall menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Second VisitMisterTravelFellaVIPDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I ate had our second dinner here recently. The place was full, which is good to see. For starter we had pheasant and pistachio terrine (a special), with a stone-fruit "salsa" on the side, which was terrific. For entrees we chose the pan seared duck breast with rhubarb chutney and braised radishes, and the grilled maple chipotle glazed pork chop, with smoked gouda grits. Both were very good but the pork chop was just out of this world: the maple-chipotle glaze was more subtle than we feared, and the chop was thick, juicy and piping hot. We ordered the cheese course instead of dessert, and it was also quite good. Only negative was the noise level: it was punishingly loud at times. Still we will come back again!Special Features:
- Quiet, Cozy, Tasty SpotTheBigDuDined on 8/15/2014I took a date here on a Friday night. The food was excellent, the service was great, and the place has a really romantic vibe to it. I would highly recommend the Radiatori with Wild Boar or the Scallops. This place is pretty small, with a total of maybe 16 candlelit tables, so it's great for a quiet date night or maybe a small family dinner. Not good for rowdy groups. Also, it is BYOB!Special Features:
- Absolutely amazing!ChristyDined on 8/13/2014I've read many fantastic reviews about this neighborhood gem. I'm so glad we gave it a try for our anniversary. Our waiter, Paul, was so kind and attentive. Everything we ate was terrific. I had the duck, cooked perfectly, with wonderful accompaniments. My husband had the stuffed chicken thigh with goat cheese, spinach, and shiitake mushrooms, which he loved. I tried some too, it was great. The soups were excellent as well for a starter. For dessert, I had the daily creme brûlée which that night was lemon. The lemon was not overbearing, which was perfect. We will be back again, and I highly recommend Washington St Bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant flashes, execution issuesJerseyExplorerDined on 8/12/2014Third visit; first two had been great, this time ok. Accompaniments to dishes are delicious (intense basil puree with vegetable terrine, amazing radishes and rhubarb with duck, smoked gouda grits with pork chop, truffled potates and treviso with scallops, polenta with skirt steak), but the duck was a miserly portion--half a breast?--overcooked with too much fat, pork chop and skirt steak very tasty but a bit dry. Scallops wonderful. Maybe an off night--probably hard for the chef to maintain top form midweek. We will try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodMartyDined on 8/8/2014Interesting menu, good service, good food. Second time there. Everything was good and there are several interesting choices that the average restaurant does not have. Only downside is it can get nosy when filled up.Special Features:
- LeeleeDined on 8/7/2014Lively for lunch...quiet, charming restaurant,good food and fine service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You'll Find Things You LikedanddDined on 8/2/2014Washington Street Bistro was a delight. There were new twists on familiar foods. A gourmet or a picky eater can find things they like. The ambiance was nice, especially for a store front restaurant. The servers were upbeat and very helpful. Our server was Kelly and she couldn't do enough to make our evening enjoyable. I especially enjoyed the warm kale and brussel sprout salad, which Kelly said was a very popular item. The portions were perfectly sized for the average diner.Special Features:
- Great food!KippDined on 7/30/2014Prices a bit high, but food delicious! They do not rush you at all; since we were dawdling over an appetizer, they didn't bring dinner out until we asked about it--and then had to gobble it down to get to a show. Paul=excellent service! Also, very loud and hard to hear table-mates.Special Features:
- Good PlaceJoeHDined on 7/25/2014A great BYOB place. Food and service was excellent.
- Best value in M'townDineFineDined on 7/12/2014Visited twice: both meals were well-prepared and unique, latest visit radiatore pasta with wild boar sausage. Service was attentive and informed without being intrusive. For the quality of the meal, underpriced relative to other Morristown establishmentsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DennisKDined on 6/24/2014The Bistro is almost hidden - a small storefront - just off The Green, but once inside the wonderful experience begins. The restaurant is small and cozy, and the tidy table settings and attentive waitress - Kelly - suggest that the dining experience will be worth the trip. And indeed it was. The menu offered several unique entree options and our party of four ordered the cassoulet, meatloaf, and two salmons. Thumbs up from everyone, ditto desserts. All things considered, particularly being a BYOB, and quality of food and service, I would rate five stars for value. The Bistro is a small gem in downtown Morristown. Gotta' go.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 6/22/2014wonderful fresh food and service. Each time we go we love it. There can be a wait at times for the food but it is worth it.Special Features:
- 6-21-2014 DinnerIrons401Dined on 6/21/2014Our first experience at Washington Bistro revealed very good food, with interesting combinations of ingredients. The menu is unlike anything else in downtown Morristown, and deserves a visit. The venue is small, so reservations may be required during weekend nights. Our server, Paul, proved to be pompous, and arrogant, providing inconsistent service. This individual proved to be a detraction to the evening. Overall we will try it again, with the hopes of a better server.Special Features:
- What a great findnjdevil1VIPDined on 6/20/2014Great food. Attentive service. And pleasant decor. There is nothing not to like about this small place on Washington Street. A bit off the usual restaurant path in Morristown but well worth the two minute walk. The pork chop was amazing as was every dish we had. Try it. You will like it. a lot.Special Features:
- Just Fair for the pricewonderfulDined on 6/7/2014Wife's pork chop was tooo peppery..Oyster app not very good...Kale salad was very good..Halibut special was Ok..Desserts were very good. For the price this restaurant was just OK for our group of four and definately NOT #3 restaurant in Morristown
- FairymumDined on 6/7/2014Washington Bistro is a real gem. It's small, cozy & the food is fabulous! We have eaten here 3 times and the food is consistently top notch. It's also BYOB which is an added bonus!Special Features:
- The following 62 reviews are from the Washington St. Bistro reviews archive.
- Good Food, a little too noisyLLMinNJDined on 5/31/2014My husband, mother-in-law and I ate here on a Saturday evening. We had no trouble getting a reservation two days in advance and there were a couple of empty tables most of the time we were there. The food was interesting and generally very tasty. I had scallops, which were excellent, as was the warm kale and brussels sprouts salad. Unfortunately, we found the noise level a little too high for comfortable conversation. There were times when it was fine, but some noise dampening hangings would be nice. We may be more fussy than many about this, but it definitely a consideration for us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gemabbyDined on 5/28/2014tucked away behind a neighbor's awning, yet in plain sight this unique, friendly bistro has a diversified menu with something for everyone. Great service and ambience. Recommended. abbySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully Eclectic!CancersunDined on 5/24/2014A very nice addition to the usual dining options in Morristown in terms of menu, quality of food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Washington Street BistroFoodcriticNJDined on 5/21/2014Great food, great service, nice ambiance. The pork chop was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a tryhrudVIPDined on 5/17/2014Found the restaurant a few months ago on Open Table and have been there four times since. We have gone with freinds a few times and have never been disappointed. Will defintely go back.Special Features:
- What a Great EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/3/2014This charming storefront restaurant on the Square in Morristown is always a good time. For a family dinner or an evening with friends, everyone enjoys this place. The menu is classic and offers choices for everyone, and the service is excellent. We always have such a fun evening here. I don't write many Opentable reviews, but I had to praise this restaurant.
- Ladies LuncheonciaohalDined on 4/30/2014We visited this spot for a ladies birthday luncheon celebration. Our server was Paul, who was very attentive, and accommodating. There were plenty of menu options for all in the party. Great salad selections, along with sandwiches, burgers, and a lovely selection of main courses as well.Special Features:
- First time winnerMtwnfoodieVIPDined on 4/26/2014Our first time at Washington Bistro will not be our last time. Enjoyed the selections -- good preparation with very nice seasonings. Definitely will return.Special Features:
- Great food, service and embianceAsa2014Dined on 4/19/2014Will definitely come again!! Went with friend visiting from Sweden and the experience was great. Fresh and well prepared food, nice bistro type restaurant and very friendly service. Best in Morristown if yo uask me.Special Features:
- Fun Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2014Our second visit to Washington St. Bistro for dinner with friends. Again, the food was very good and the atmosphere relaxed. The service is just ok, just not a positive. They were able to accommodate one dinner who is gluten free without any problems. Would strongly recommend the brussell sprout hash side dish and the steamed mussels app.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the findKeeperVIPDined on 4/11/2014Pleased that open table showed reservation available. Neat entrance and a warm inviting dining room. Waiter, Paul was outstanding. Fun, quick ,knowledgeable and gracious. The salad was outstanding the cod deep dish was excellent and my wife's park chop perfect. This is a winner BYOBSpecial Features:
- Middle of the roadRalstoniaDined on 3/28/2014Food was good but not great, same goes for service. Large group sacrificed service and food that was right next to us.
- Nice without a horrible priceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2014This small BYOB was comfortable and quaint. Food was fresh - good house salad with not too much dressing, juicy chicken leg special, scallops with fresh pomegranate, and delicious cassoulet (although a bit dry - too long in oven). The staff was attentive, but busy. Customers appeared happy with everything and having a great time!Special Features:
- The was very good for NJ.GastonSingeVIPDined on 3/22/2014The was very good for NJ. The waiter was great ... he had a good sense of humor. Finally, a good restaurant in Morristown.
- worth a visitmorristown29Dined on 3/22/2014Three of us dined at the. WASHINGTON ST BISTRO on Saturday night. At 7 there were a few tables filled but it got much busier as the night progressed. It was a pleasant space but small. The food was very good. I shared the kale salad with my motherer-in-law and it was quite good. One thing that could have been better is if they had split the salad in the kitchen. Instead they just gave us an extra plate. My husband had the ginger carrot soup which he enjoyed. The timing of the service was off because we waited a long time for our appetizers and then our entered came before they cleared away the appetizers. The codfish cassoulet was delicious. The noise level was quite loud which was another small drawback. All in all it was a good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.