141 Washington Street
South Norwalk, CT 06854Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://washingtonprimect.com/
- Phone: 2038571314
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jared Falco
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cocktails, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Washington Prime
Washington Prime has the privilege of framing SoNo’s newest structure at the corner of Washington Street and Water Street. Adding to this historic and progressive waterside community, this highly anticipated Eating + Drinking Well is driven by a culinary and beverage program that is not about gimmicks - just honesty and creativity. No stranger to high impact restaurants, Washington Prime is brought to you by some of the area’s most dynamic restaurateurs. The land and sea menu is a bit of Americana with cross-cultural influences, the space is multi-dimensional and the attitude is left at the door. Here, we eat, we drink and we join in the fun.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Washington Prime - Best Restaurants in South Norwalk ›
Washington Prime reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (35)vibrant bar scene (26)fit for foodies (23)good for groups (19)neighborhood gem (19)great for outdoor dining (12)special occasion (11)late-night find (10)romantic (8)notable wine list (7)scenic view (7)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- quality steakhouse in sonovactionmauiDined on 10/24/2014We are always hunting for a steakhouse to satisfy our combo of carnivores and fish/chicken diners. Washington Prime was an excellent choice. Delicious steak, chicken and fish. Combined with fresh sides that are not overly sauced like some steakhouses. The staff was very friendly and attentive, bringing over complimentary food and wine when one dish had to be returned to the kitchen for being too well done. It came out perfect on the second try. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- Glad they are hereAnthonyVIPDined on 10/17/2014Washington Prime serves excellent steaks in an informal, fun atmosphere. The sides were a little small, but the appetizers were interesting and delicious(deviled eggs) Our waiter was very knowledgeable about not only the food but the local area.Special Features:
- Delicious, super allergy friendlyMomofallergiesDined on 10/11/2014We were very pleased and will go back often! They easily accommodated our food allergies and had many gluten free items. The food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To the "untrained eye"Foody77VIPDined on 10/11/2014Our experience at WP was marred by the incompetence of the untrained wait staff. As we arrived we were seated immediately at our table and after reviewing the wine list we were aghast at the markup on the rather pedestrian selections. We ordered our bottle and it arrived promptly ... but when we asked about the menu, which was a mish mosh of tapas style small plates and a steak house style section, the waiter literally said "everything is good here," and he began reading off the favorites, which was essentially reading the menu to us. We asked if he had tasted a few dishes and he said "no" to all. Any good restaurant should at least have the wait staff learn the menu by tasting it, no? Needless to say, the waiter's advice was useless.
- Yummy and coolOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2014Went there for the second time and everything I ate was amazing. Steak is fabulous!! Very friendly and attentive staff and manager. Hip and cool vibe too. Also for those who need it there are several choices on the menu with a G next to them, meaning Gluten Free. That's the first time I have seen that and I think it is very forward thinking of the restaurant. They are down with the times.Special Features:
- Excellent!Food4lifeDined on 10/10/2014I went there for lunch with a friend. I had the seasonal beer which was pumpkin and delicious. I ordered the steak tartare and Brussel sprouts. The food was amazing. I'm definitely going back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak steak steakEtsapDined on 10/7/2014The steak was awesome, but i got an app that was served on a slate of rock--which was cool, but every time i cut the steak on it, the noise of the knife would sound like nails on a chalkboard! Ordered one drink and after i was done waiter gave me another, pushing drinks? I returned it. Thinking about it makes me cringe. It is pretty pricey, but worth it for a special occasion. Ordered: chili (meh), steak special with avocado foam and pico de gallo (nothing really out of the ordinary, but steak was good, a little on the rare side), beet salad and goat cheese (well dressed), octopus (not a seafood fan, but i enjoyed this), 8oz filet mignon with maple truffle sauce (cooked medium and perfect), salad, brussle sprouts and truffle bomb.. so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but costly for fooddiningoutDined on 10/4/2014Went with a group of 6. Really like the ambiance, had a good vibe. Mixed drinks were great. Waiter was attentive and pleasant. Menu had a good mix for everyone. Food was good but expensive for the portions on both the appetizers and entrees.Special Features:
- Second time isn't always a charmOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/3/2014Was second time eating after soft opening. They ran out of collisal shrimp and they didn't tell us so they came out with 5 mini shrimp you would get at stop and shop. I think the food is weak and really is overrated and overpriced. I would rather spend the money at blackstones for a steak. I think the chef is trying way too hard for the neighborhood and really should prepare better tasting food than presentation.
- Not good, not badOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/1/2014The service bumped up my overall rating. Beyond that, the food was mediocre. Prime rib appetizer was the fatty end with too much spice. Could have been the previous night's cast off. Scallops were overdone. Nothing worse than that. Shrimp entree was worse than that. Unfortunately there's no reason to go back and give this place another shot.Special Features:
- Exceeds ExpectationsbobbyjohnVIPDined on 9/30/2014We went to Washington Prime to celebrate a birthday. The margaritas were not overly sweetened, and are some of the best I've had. I had the lobster bisque, which was smooth as silk and very rich in flavor. I ordered the 8 oz filet medium. It's pricey at $41, but it was cooked to perfection and was very high quality; it was as good as any you would get in the New York steakhouses. I had the brussel sprouts. They also were good. My only criticism might be that the seasonings on the steak and sides were a little heavy, and I don't think they needed to be because the quality of the food was so great. Hopefully, this restaurant will catch on and be supported by the public. Having this quality in Sono is great for Norwalk!Special Features:
- Awesome Dinner!karenski6Dined on 9/30/2014First time here and definitelynwill not be last, we were a group of four, and ordered a varitey of dishes, everything was delicious, especially the scallops, kale salad, cant wait to return, really cool vibe inside and the people working there couldnt of been nicer, so happy i discovered this place, they have a cool room in the back that looks like it would be idea for a small private party.Special Features:
- NoisejlminvVIPDined on 9/27/2014This new restaurant does not know if it is a nightclub or steak restaurant. The noise lvel of the music is unbeareable. The manager does nothing to adjust. All afe groups complain.
- rocknrollerDined on 9/20/2014Went to try out their steaks. Was disappointed in the quality of the meat. The wedge was described as having heirloom tomatoes but it was actually served with grape tomatoes and the switch was not pointed out to us. We asked that the volume of the music be lowered--it was not. Overall, not a great steak place but a good place for drinks.Special Features:
- jim44jim44Dined on 9/20/2014Overall disappointing: very loud music, very crowded, OK tasting pricey steak, all sides are al a cart, not a place I would have to run back to. Go next door to Harlan Public better food better atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great menu and nice setting butEKG1VIPDined on 9/13/2014they don't make up for this restaurants shortcomings. The music is deafening. Chowder was good, deviled eggs VERY good, onion soup was spicy(??) , chili gives me pause to reconsider the terrible ratings above - it is worth a trip back it was that good, though it would have been nice to put the chili ON something or dip something into it, it's just served with a spoon. The knuckle and claw -not great lobster or maybe it was when it was fresh and cooked last week and the grits tasted grey like the color they were. The burrata on pretzel roll was merely a mound of very wet cold slaw, with the juice running off the slab of slate they serve it on (not thought out well). Entrees were all cold( fish, scallops and short ribs) .
- Great Service, good food, too pricyFoodloverDined on 9/13/2014For the price there should have been more organic options and beef should be grass fed or locally farmed. They serve meat on wooden cutting board which may appear trendy but with the knife marks of others and knowing how water and wood harbors bacteria no thanks! They are supposedly known for their fries but they tasted like frozen oven baked ones you'd buy at stop and shop. Overall food good but NOT worth the price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/11/2014The food, drinks and service were very good. Its a great place to sit outside and have a drink. Steak was perfectly cooked. For SONO the prices are too high to return often.Special Features:
- Charred SteakWiltonDinerDined on 9/7/2014The steak they served was charred almost beyond the possibility of eating it. This was for a Med Rare steak, a number of other diners were having the same issue. I feel bad for the waitstaff but the kitchen does not live up to basic expectations.
- ScootDined on 9/6/2014Great service, great food!! Girls loved the steak, onion soup awesome. Will be back soon. Good luck guys!Special Features:
- Great new steakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Loved the food and the service was excellent. We didn't care for the music level in the dinning area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm Too Old, I GuessdiningDined on 9/4/2014Washington Prime is more bar scene than restaurant. I estimate almost 50% of the space devoted to the bar. Service: Waitperson on the patio was more interested in surveying the Washington St. scene than looking at his customers. Food area waitperson kept pushing drinks, and has an annoying habit of patting me on the back. Was solicitous, though. Food was good. I am not a "small plate" person and wanted more choices for "Large plates" than steaks, fish and chicken. The burgers were good. My overall take was that the "energetic" and noisy bar is their main focus. Not so much the food.
- Great food but......PhilipDined on 8/30/2014Food was great! Steaks were all cooked perfectly. Management is horrible and not very accommodating. Very disappointed with the lack of professionalism.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New eclectic NYC style steak house.DiscerningDinerDined on 8/23/2014Went a few days after grand opening, some glitches with food and service. Returned 2 weeks later, significant improvement. Great steaks and service. Very dynamic environment with music and crowd at bar. Nice outdoor dining and seating for drinks available.Special Features:
- Ridiculously LOUD!lvb2uDined on 8/22/2014The music @ 9PM was like an overloaded 80's Disco - we could not hear each other nor could we enjoy our meal...the meat was fantastic, the chop-chop salad off the charts....but the french fries toted by our waiter as the restaurant's signature were 1 rung up from frozen Ore-Ida!Special Features:
- Please Cook in the KitchenFloeyVIPDined on 8/20/2014Wedge salad was good and would have been excellent had it not been a bit warm and slightly soggy. Shrimp small plate was good. Dry brioche roll fell apart on the overdone burger. Filet came out looking perfectly cooked on a cracked plank that leaked all over my placemat and the table. The waiter asked me to cut into it to check the temperature (ordered medium)-raw inside, so he told me to close it up and let it cook more but now that it was cut, the cooking stopped. When requested the check our waiter went to a table of 8 to take their order-another helped us. Very good ingredients but needs work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs some workOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Great location, cool atmosphere, but falls noticeably short in food preparation and service. The night we were there the restaurant was not particularly busy, yet we waited at least 15 minutes to get our first drink and close to 45 minutes to get appetizers. Our steaks were not cooked to order and more than once food was brought to the table that we had not ordered, and these missteps were reflected on the bill, which had to be done over. All in all a disappointing experience, especially in light of the hefty price tag.Special Features:
- Superb Culinary delightsyanksanskyDined on 8/16/2014Wow, this new hot spot on the corner of Washington and Water Street are an absolute hit. Everyone was friendly from the hostess, to the bartender, (which we like to start at the bar 1st). to the waiter, and the management came to greet us. Do not miss the Poutine, which is very unusual but amazing. Oxtail ragu over fries. The amazing and exotic deviled eggs. A new twist and very creative hot wings with scallions and veggies fried into a crisp wing with a Japanese sauce. And a Rib eye that cuts like butter.Special Features:
- Great Spot for Social GatheringsTryMeDined on 8/16/2014This is a great spot for a date or a group meal - it's lively, well set up and the service has an excellent demeanor (friendly, not pushy, not too hovering but present). The down side is that the best food is really the steak by a mile -- and that's pricey. Highly suggested for drinks and snacks / light apps or a total splurge, but as a "neighborhood dinner spot" this place needs a less fussy / less pricey set of options.Special Features:
- Washington PrimeSunnyDined on 8/16/2014The only good thing about this newcomer to the South Norwalk area is the outdoor space to have a drink, not food. The service was poor, my steak was not cooked as I requested, waiters were not friendly and way over priced for Connecticut. They need to be reminded they are NOT in NYC.
- DisappointingSilverEatsDined on 8/15/2014For starters, when we finished eating, my associate said where are we going for dinner! The portions were small, the onion soup just ordinary, the shrimp just OK, and my one half chicken came from a malnourished chicken. The bread was stale and warmed and was accompanied by a pot of mustard. Prices are high considering the portions. And the wine pours were also small. Hot spot for 20 and 30 yr olds but not a place for a pleasant and fulfilling dinner. None of the service people smiled. And the staff wanted to remove plates before we had finished!Special Features:
- Washington Prime is lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014I had a fantastic experience at Washington Prime. My party of six adults was very happy with the food, the wine and the service. It's also a beautifully decorated space with high ceilings. Our booth was cozy and catered to an intimate feel. I'll go back again and again.Special Features:
- SoNo's New Steak and Seafood Best!connectictutdadDined on 8/7/2014Wonderful first time visit to Washington Prime! Looking forward to many more good meals thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only the Location is "Prime"shell2020Dined on 8/5/2014Everything about the experience other than the pre-dinner cocktails was a disappointment. The server waited until we were ready to order before teling us what they were out of. The prime burger that I ordered medium came well done, dry, crumbling and tasteless, and for no reason I could fathom, topped with wilted escarole. Only the French fries were good. My friend said his fish was good but not great. Service was unpolished and uncoordinated between the servers, runners, and busboys (maybe this will improve, but now it is not on par with the menu prices). We had to flag someone down to get lemon for the fish, ask for salt and pepper, etc. Generally the decor is very nice, but the faux ivy-covered walls have the visual effect of astro-turf.
- rude, disappointingedinerDined on 8/2/2014Rude, dismissive service from moment of entry, from both hostess and waitstaff. Lukewarm food, overcooked shrimp, uninspired beet salad. will not be returning and would not recommend. A disappointing new addition.
- Great new spot!DiningOutDined on 7/25/2014Unique Apps, perfectly made cocktails and steaks. Lobster casino and pouting were our favorites. Nice spot at top of Washington street. Outdoor couches and outdoor dining option. Cool decor, upscale but not pretentious. Super friendly bartenders and staff. All around great experience. Look forward to trying brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak EVER!FattyPantsDined on 7/25/2014Had the filet & my husband had ribeye... adored both, really couldn't be better. Huge portion on the ribeye & took home almost half in a doggie bag, knowing full well that the dog would never see this. Loved the creamy edamame bomb steak sauce. Sides are additional and blown away by their herbed french fries. None of this was cheap, but just fab! Had only been open a couple of days & the kitchen & servers did a great job. The atmosphere was beautiful... lovely interior, big tall windows. We sat in the quieter back area with only 4 tables which was perfect for date night. Next time will ask to sit out in the big lively room with the awesome bar. This is very much what SONO needs - a great steakhouseSpecial Features:
- Promising Start!JackVIPDined on 7/25/2014Opening night so perfection is not expected. We just had apps and small plates. Chop salad, Chilli, Lobster and Schrimp appetizers all very good. Lobster bisque missed the mark, have had much better locally. Deviled eggs also very good, but two for $10 not worth it. Wine by glass good selection but mostly $1 a glass over local price. Service was good but not perfect as some requests went unanswered for period's of time and big deal, you get one piece of bread with no second offering. High volume music in background will promote younger crowd which is the local scene. We'll go back in a month to see what changes. This restaurant and the other new ones in SONO could reinvigorate the area and give the champ, Match, some competition.Special Features:
- The following 0 reviews are from the Washington Prime reviews archive.