Washington Platform Saloon & Restaurant
1000 Elm St
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Washington Platform Saloon & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.washingtonplatform.com/
- Phone: (513) 421-0110
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Cajun
- Executive Chef: Jon V. Diebold
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music Thursday & Friday evenings. Second Sunday Jazz Buffet
A word from Washington Platform Saloon & Restaurant
Home of Cincinnati's Original Annual Oyster Festival. Enjoy fantastic homemade appetizers, soups, sandwiches, entrees, and desserts, in a renovated, turn-of-the-"20th" century saloon. Continental fare and fresh seafood (A Platform specialty!)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Washington Platform Saloon & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (23)good for groups (23)late-night find (17)great for lunch (17)special occasion (14)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (8)romantic (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- We plan to write a letterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/2/2012We plan to write a letter to the management. We trust our visit is not indicative of a great downtown Cincinnati dining establishment.
- Moderately priced, somethingsymphonyfanDined on 12/1/2012Moderately priced, something on the menu for everyone. Vegetarian and Seafood abound with many meat selections. Great fish tacos.Special Features:
- Food was good, server wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/17/2012Food was good, server was as attentive as she could be. The challenge they have is that they get slammed on nights prior to events at Music Hall due to their close proximity. We arrived at 6:30 and were finished comfortably in time to make it to Music Hall (7:45), so it wasn't a big problem. You just need to expect a delay between when you order and when you get your food. Not a problem if you plan for it and understand that they can't hire twice the staff just for weekend nights. Server was great. I appreciate that they're one of the few restaurants close to Music Hall that takes reservations.Special Features:
- waitress very distracted notOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/17/2012waitress very distracted not much attention to detailsSpecial Features:
- Service was better than normal,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/17/2012Service was better than normal, excellent new waiter. WP is perfect for pre-CSO dinners.
- A hidden GemehandVIPDined on 11/16/2012Overall this is a hidden gem in Cincinnati.Their oysters are as good as you can get and the fish soup is fresh and perfectly cooked to order not cooked in apot for hours.Special Features:
- We were delighted to findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2012We were delighted to find this fun spot near the Music Hall. Even more delighted (as westerners) to find Dungeness Crab on the Crabfest Menu.Special Features:
- Great Place Location & MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2012Great Place Location & Menu prior to events @ Music Hall. Usually my #1 spot prior to Symphony, & free street parking post 5 p.m. I do miss the Apricot Pork Chops from the Menu. Service was very good, & we were able to leave in the time frame requested without rushing. Thank You. JoannaSpecial Features:
- Honestly, I was looking forwardOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2012Honestly, I was looking forward to trying out this restaurant but the service was pretty bad- I got the feeling that our server was having an "off" night as she forgot things and had to be asked several times. And when we sat dawn she asked us to order right away but since we hadn't got to look at the menu yet we asked for more time. But then She didn't stop back at our table for another 20 mins. I kept trying to flag her down as she briskly walked by us a couple times. And the food was ok (my meal was flavored pretty spicy even though that wasn't mentioned in the decription at all- but way too expensive for what it was. I didn't expect to really leave with almost a $50 bill for just my meal- I had 1 drink and split an appetizer with meal.
- Expand your horizonsCarolPmsVIPDined on 10/25/2012Cozy corner bar with good seafood & specials. Nice choice of appetizers this night, 1/2 price every night. Served with a smile, in a timely manner with plenty of time for us to get to the Aronoff (walking it was such a nice night.) Think more people need to be told this place's proximity to so many downtown locations.Special Features:
- We arrived at 6P.M. believeingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2012We arrived at 6P.M. believeing this would give us enough time to make it to the Pop's Concert at 8P.M. After waiting for our food for a long time. At 7 I signaled the waiter that we needed to speed things up. We finally got our food and it was delicious. Two of us had salmon. The portion was just right and my wife did not have to take home a doggy bag. We ended up signaling again for our receit and left in a hurry at twenty minutes of 8. I left our credit card and the waiter ran down the street after me. We barely made it to the Pop's.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable evening. HostessSamanthaDined on 10/6/2012Very enjoyable evening. Hostess wanted to seat us in the bar, even though we had reservations. Stated the dining room was overly busy but she did seat us and the service was fine.Special Features:
- Will return to try other menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2012Will return to try other menu items. The food I has was Yummy!Special Features:
- we had to wait for our foodmaumauDined on 9/18/2012we had to wait for our food and later for the bill. my spicy chicken and oysters were good but overcooked.Special Features:
- For casual dining from a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2012For casual dining from a great menu and well done list of moderately priced wines, Washington Platform is hard to beat. Service is attentive and thorough, but not intrusive, not only from your assigned server but from colleagues who pitch in at busy times. We enjoyed the creative smoothe renderings of show tunes and lounge jazz of Pam Mallory with the Wayne Yeager Trio. We have lunched there several times, but this was our first dinner outing. Definitely, a place where we'll return.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem - yesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2012The service we had was absolutely wonderful - and it was a first time experience for both me and my husband. It was a great place to celebrate, and I was glad to see the quality and delicious food for a reasonable price.Special Features:
- The grill and seafood combinationdeejal01VIPDined on 9/12/2012The grill and seafood combination included a ribeye and scallops. The ribeye was prepared exactly to my specifications. The scallops were plentiful and deliciousSpecial Features:
- 10 of us dined here, priorOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/201210 of us dined here, prior to a Reds game. All plates were empty by the end of the meal. For 10 diners, this was quite impressive. We had reservations; table was ready as promised; the waitress was knowlegeable; service was responsive to our needs. Quiet atmosphere, able to converse easily. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- We were able to get a tableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2012We were able to get a table for 8 on a saturday night with no hassle. Food was great. Our server was fantastic. The kitchen modified a jambalaya pasta for one of our kids meals. The kids survived a 2 hour dinner with no complaints.Special Features:
- Great food, but took an hourOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/23/2012Great food, but took an hour for our party of 8 to get our food. Very slow service and kitchen.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedHannahJVDined on 8/12/2012Not impressive in terms of culinary selection, but the staff's friendliness helped to make up for the lack of creativity when it came to the menu.
- Boneless curry wings wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/11/2012Boneless curry wings were very tasty.... Medium is spicy enough to require celery and water .... Next time, may try mild. The blue crab blieu was good, but the presentation (squeezed onto a small plate wit a slice of Texas toast wedged into the pasta ) was sorely lacking... Looked like Kraft mac n cheese.Special Features:
- The food was average, notOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2012The food was average, not what I expected from such a notable restaurant in Cincinnati. I was definitely not pleased with the service. A server should recognize when there are empty glasses on the table to remove them and ask if you would like another drink, and then remember to bring it to you. Just not attentive. Server forgot to bring soup prior to the meal, forgot to bring the condiments and silverware when requested.
- Had an excellent experience.Saturday9694VIPDined on 8/9/2012Had an excellent experience. Service was great. Waitress was very helpful. Our first time there, will be back.Special Features:
- Went for restaurant week,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/7/2012Went for restaurant week, food was reasonably good. Oysters were fresh, crabcake was meaty and flavorful, but crab flavor was lost. Oyster soup was disappointing overall as broth was thin and separated, but oyster component was good. Frog's legs were cooked very well with nice breading, however seasoning could have been better. Would be good for lunch, happy hour, or bar food place for oysters, wings, po boy's and fries, etc., but probably wouldn't get the entrees at reg price.Special Features:
- Good Local GrubOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2012Surprisingly fun: very good food & service, reasonable price and vibrant atmosphere.Special Features:
- we did a pre-theater. FolksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2012we did a pre-theater. Folks were dressed from casual to dressy.Special Features:
- enjoyed. had been a whilegoodeaterVIPDined on 7/25/2012enjoyed. had been a while since i had been there but will return. used to lunch there often when worked.Special Features:
- Service was very slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/25/2012Service was very slow. Menu options very limited based on previous times We have been there. Hope they return to a larger choice of options.Special Features:
- We have been regular visitorsBestmealDined on 7/22/2012We have been regular visitors to Washington Platform for about four months and always had an excellent experience. We dined there Sunday evening at 7:30 p.m. The larger part of the restaurant (where we normally sit) was closed and we were seated in a booth in the bar area. The two men in the booth behind us were very annoying. They giggled and laughed loudly the whole time. I was surprised at the condensed menu. The server said it was condensed for the World Choir Games. I was disappointed at the abbreviated menu. We both ordered cajun snapper. It was burned. Salad was good. Baked potato was so so. First time I've been disappointed there. I will give it another chance and hope Sunday was the exception.
- Terrible service.We were seatedTopcatDined on 7/13/2012Terrible service.We were seated immediately it was very slow in the resteraunt . After ten minutes I went to the bar to get us some drinks since I still had not seen our waitress. The bartender/owner apologized but had no excuse for it they were not busy.The food was average not a very large selection and ordinary. I remember this place a couple years back came for the oyster fest and it was excellent.It has definitely gone down hill
- JON, YOU MADE MY LIST OF WINNERSdrmmVIPDined on 7/9/2012Washington Platform has been one of my favorites for years, but quite honestly it has had its ups and downs. Now it is on an upswing. The wine list in the past was sort of mundane but the current one has lots of good wines at a reasonable cost. I tasted my wife's Rodney Strong Sauvignon Blanc and it gives the New Zealanders a run for their money...nice selection, Jon. I had 8 oysters on the half shell (they're $0.50 apiece during July and August) so snap up the good deal. Then Gumbo, always great, followed by the Oyster Poor Boy on a pretzel. WOW! My wife had onion straws, fries, and the blackened red fish. Not only was our food great but the servie by Ashley was exemplary. Now that you are on Open Table, Jon, you stay one of my favotites!Special Features:
- Standards Need Improvement!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/8/2012Onions rings some were over fried, clumped together, and a bit greasy. Our entrees were very good, but the vegetables need some light seasoning. I had the salmon and my friend had the apple chicken. The only thing I did not like at all was the 18% gratuity added to our check. There was only two in our party and we were not told about it. We didn't make an issue out of it, but they screwed themselves because we usually tip more than the 18%. It was a slow afternoon. We were there on a Sunday at 5:45pm, only one other table, but we could hear the wait staff moaning about going home because of a lack of business. More people came right before we left. Did not like hearing their woes...................
- Overall, we were not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/7/2012Overall, we were not impressed with Washington Platform. Can't say it was bad, but it just wasn't a restaurant we would go back to.
- This place was great! We wereOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/6/2012This place was great! We were late for a reservation but they restaraunt was very accomodating. The food was great along with the service. Had the red snapper which was great.Special Features:
- Nice, little restaurant downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/6/2012We went during the National Choir Games and the menu was abridged and in multiple languages for visitors, which I though was a nice gesture. It was very crowded in the beginning and the service was slow. However, as the restaurant emptied, the service improved. The food is good and the price is reasonable. If you want to take someone downtown and have a nice dinner at a reasonable price, this is the place. It is a smaller restaurant, so if you want to bring a large group you may not be able to sit together.Special Features:
- We thoroughly enjoyed ourMiamiQVIPDined on 6/23/2012We thoroughly enjoyed our meal - excellent food , appropriate portions, and reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Love this place. My firstSeason52foodieDined on 6/10/2012Love this place. My first time here and I plan to make it a once a month ritual! Thank you. The service is great and the chef is excellent. Hat's off to this place!Special Features:
- Good, and think "good" isOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/8/2012Good, and think "good" is something good. Not too expensive and easily worth the price.
- Great food, reasonable price!Cincykat6Dined on 5/19/2012Washington Platform has a great menu that offers a good variety, so everyone will find something to suit them. Appetizers, salads, sandwiches, pasta dishes, and entrees provide good choices. They have a lot of dishes with a Cajun flair, but plenty of other offerings, too. Very casual and comfortable, and close to Music Hall. Will definitely go back again!Special Features: