Washington Platform Saloon & Restaurant
1000 Elm St
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Washington Platform Saloon & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.washingtonplatform.com/
- Phone: (513) 421-0110
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Cajun
- Executive Chef: Jon V. Diebold
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music Thursday & Friday evenings. Second Sunday Jazz Buffet
A word from Washington Platform Saloon & Restaurant
Home of Cincinnati's Original Annual Oyster Festival. Enjoy fantastic homemade appetizers, soups, sandwiches, entrees, and desserts, in a renovated, turn-of-the-"20th" century saloon. Continental fare and fresh seafood (A Platform specialty!)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Washington Platform Saloon & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (23)good for groups (23)late-night find (17)great for lunch (17)special occasion (14)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (8)romantic (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Worth Findingmee0214Dined on 11/15/2014We had heard about Washington Platform in the past but had never tried it. We sampled some of their fare at the Taste of Cincinnati and loved it. The building is very cool and has a unique history. That aside, the service, food and overall atmosphere were all wonderful. My wife had the blackened snapper which was wonderful. I had the crab cakes. They were creamy and very tasty. For me the show stealer were the grilled oysters. They are topped with a marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese and then grilled...Outstanding. I highly recommend at least one dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good service, baby crying.symphonyfanDined on 11/15/2014The baby at the back of the room cried continuously for over half an hour. Everyone in the room watched to see if the parent would take the baby out to try to get it to stop. This pretty much ruined the evening for many of us. We left without dessert because we couldn't stand the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FickDined on 11/8/2014fun place to visit but they were having difficulty keeping up with the crows even though there were several empty tables. was looking forward to the crab fest and tasted ok, but my king crab was a little dry after steaming. Very friendly staff and good music.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant, will go againrxhodgeDined on 11/8/2014Represents Cincinnati as it was. worth a visit for locals and out-of-towners, lots of charm and nostalgia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place prior to performance!Omit123Dined on 11/8/2014Went to Washington Platform prior to performance at SCPA. Soups were outstanding! Wife had a salad. I had a po-boy sandwich. Both were ok. (Chef salad had a piece of crab shell in it - server apologized and gave my beer for free! - Good recovery) I would eat here again. I didn't know they were a seafood speciality restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little GemMelYizVIPDined on 11/7/2014What a great place in downtown Cincy. My husband and I went to try their crab specials. They did not disappoint. Every dish was better than the next. We would come again.Special Features:
- Great service!!!!StefBDined on 11/1/2014We had a reservation for 15! So I went into this thinking, okay, we are a bunch of rowdy girls out for a bachelorette party. But honestly, it was the best experience. We did not have to wait at all for our tables despite the fact we were a few minutes late. The wait staff was attentive and kept up with our demanding bar requests. The food was prompt despite how busy they were. The food in itself was phenomenal. Everyone was very pleased with the food. They split the bills without any hassle. I would recommend this restaurant for anyone who has a large party! They truly were great!Special Features:
- GertzGertzDined on 11/1/2014It was the best "carnival" food I've ever had..we'll be back... even when it's not carnival season!Special Features:
- Fan Crab Tastictadcaster14Dined on 10/31/2014Loved the crab theme. Crab soup and crab quesadilla were outstanding. Crab claws were tasty, but kind of hard to pick. Carol at the bar was terrific - came around just when we needed her. One of favorite spots prior to a show in downtown Cincinnati.
- JanyVIPDined on 10/25/2014We had a great time, got seated right on time for our reservation, Crab Carnival offerings were very good, all around good experience!Special Features:
- QuinnquinnDined on 10/24/2014Our dinner was good. My only complaint was that I only went there to have the stone crab and they did not have any in. It was partially my fault because I didn't call ahead to see if it was in. The chef was on the local news on Monday, and stated they would have stone crab in by the weekend. They did not. I had Jonah crab, it was similar but not stone crab. Then I had the crab muffeletta, which was good. My spouse had a steak and he cleaned his plate. The service was good, and the jazz was starting toward the end of our dinner.
- Great Crab Menu CurrentlyTazminaVIPDined on 10/18/2014Washington Platform is our go to restaurant before Pops and CSO concerts. It's a great location, friendly servers, a nice regular menu interspersed with specialty menus throughout the year. They currently have their crab menu as well as their regular menu. Lots of wonderful crab options from which to choose- appetizers, entrees, etc. They also have live jazz some evenings, lunch specials, etc. Check them out!Special Features:
- Overpriced and underwhelmingdeb1164Dined on 10/10/2014I was looking forward to dining here after reading the great reviews. We were not impressed at all. We started with a dozen oysters which were good but presentation was ugly. What restaurant just puts the oysters on a plate? What happened to putting them on crushed ice. On top of that we had nowhere to put the empty shells other than back on that same plate. We all had potato leek soup which was recommended by the server and it was rather good. The entrees is where things went south. Scallops were overcooked and tasteless. Also came with microwaved frozen vegetables. Cajun pasta was also lacking taste and the "garlic bread" looked like burnt toast. Baked potato was old and re-warmed. Over $250 for 4 people-not worth it!
- Service was DisappointingCincyEaterDined on 9/28/2014Food was delicious. Service left a lot to be desired. Server was apologetic....every time he came to the table.....but nothing really changed. No salads....they were brought out AFTER the dinner. No refills on water until server was flagged down. No steak knife for our filet. We waited 35 minutes to have our order taken. It was a Sunday evening, so it wasnt really crowded. We will return because the food is delicious. Hopefully the server will have a better evening the next time we come in.Special Features:
- Wonderful Jazz BandOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014I can't say that I've ever seen a jazz band where the xylophone player was the main attraction, but it was worth it! The restaurant has two rooms, so those interested in the music were separated from diners who didn't come for the music. It was very romantic set-up of booths to watch the entertainment. The restaurant was not too crowded. The onion straws were deliciously breaded with pepper in the seasoning. The oysters were very good. The steak was grilled to perfection - medium rare. We spoke to the bartender, waitress, manager (helped us with wine selection), and cook and they were all very personable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night!!drew55Dined on 9/27/2014Food at Washington Platform is always great! No matter what dish I try, I always feel I made an excellent choice. This particular night, I chose the crab cakes and they were excellent!! Great food, great music(jazz band), and great service! I can't forget about our server, Wendy. She just makes the experience that much more enjoyable. She is awesome!!Special Features:
- Always a good ideaOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/13/2014We love Washington Platform...great place to hang out with friends!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Cinci's Jazz clubBitterBlackAleDined on 9/6/2014I found Washington Platform whilst looking for a jazz club to take my wife to on our anniversary. WP really succeeded there. The website had an up-to-date calendar and I was able to see that 2x Grammy Nominee, Kim Pensyl, and his group were performing that night. Booked the reservation on OpenTable - success! The food was really great, and they had a wine that my wife enjoyed. I'd have liked a wider selection of Scotch, but I was satisfied with the Glenlivet. My wife enjoyed the salmon dish and my "Jamba-pasta-laya" was fantastic. As far as I could tell, this seems to be the only well-advertized jazz club in Cinci. Maybe there are others, but to an out-of-towner, the Washington Platform is *the* Cincinnati Jazz club.Special Features:
- Back againdrmmVIPDined on 9/5/2014When we want a relaxing meal at a reasonable price and friendly service, we head for Washington Platform. Our waiter, Jim, is new to WP and is a gem, friendly, informative, and goes out of his way to make sure that everything is the way we want it. My wife had her favorite BBQ shrimp appetizer and a mountain of onion straws. I had a cup of the jambalaya, 6 oysters on the half shell, and a new item which I liked a lot: fried oysters atop a mound of spoetzles (German Noodles.) The spoetzles had been sauteed in butter and onion. I am not sure the onions belong in the dish and would prefer brown gravy on the spoetzles. The oysters are great and are even better with their horseradish-ed cocktail sauce. Congrats on a new intriguing dish!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014My 8 year old date loved the Fat Boy Burger. He hasn't stopped talking about itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun find for fish seafoodKristenCincinnatiDined on 8/30/2014If you are looking for an old saloon in Cincinnati and fun seafood dishes. Great for jazz after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- janasreconnDined on 8/22/2014Liked the salad and the fried oysters. The vegetables were overcooked. Live jazz was good, old bar cool. My date and I could talk comfortably. The service was great!Special Features:
- YummyWingeaterDined on 8/19/2014Atmosphere was exactly what we expected. Oysters were delicious -- will be back for more. Loved the wide selection of wings, just wish they could be served in smaller portions. Guys loved the beer selection. We will be back!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemFoodAndMoFoodDined on 8/17/2014Good food. Friendly staff. Nice atmosphere. Casual and unpretentious.Special Features:
- Washington Platform is a gem!KimMDined on 8/16/2014We recently celebrated my sons birthday dinner at Washington Platform! There were 8 adults in attendance and right away we loved the old historic vibe of Washington Platform!! Our server was excellent as we ordered a little of everything off the very varied menu!! The food was excellent from our appetizers through dinner then dessert! Great ambience! Great Food! Great Service! And, a Great celebration!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014The place advertised fresh seafood with great service. The salmon was not fresh at all and the crab cakes had processed crab without fresh lumps. For the price of the food the quality was well below. They did not have a very extensive wine or cocktail list.
- Disappointing - food was not goodLuv2eatDined on 8/15/2014We went to Washington Platform last year during restaurant week and we absolutely loved the entire experience and the food. This year was a completely different experience. The gumbo had no identifiable ingredient except for corn. The salmon was obviously processed and frozen, not fresh. The server was friendly and gave us free dessert after we declined on getting dessert. Oh what a difference a year makes - we probably will not go back.
- Lovely eveningBobbieDined on 8/15/2014Waiter was outstanding. Went for Downtown Restaurant Week Had good food, good company & outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall okOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Gumbo was great. Oysters was good, but very small portions. Overall it was not bad so we would go back.
- Relaxed Vibe and Good FoodCaptKirkOUDined on 8/12/2014Great service and really good food. Atmosphere is very casual and laid back. Perfect for a late night snack with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wing FlingififVIPDined on 8/11/2014If you are looking for great wings try Washington Platform! Their wing fling offers over 100 flavors for your chicken!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be going again!LouwanDined on 8/9/2014The food was very good! The wings eaters in our group enjoyed their choices and said they were cooked well. The onion strings were "to die for". The salads were fresh and tasty, especially the grilled salmon salad. Portion size was generous but not overbearing. The restaurant has a very relaxed feel . We will be going back for the crabfest in a few months, and I want to try them for lunch. Food not fancy but fresh and tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overall experienceFunFoodFreakDined on 8/2/2014After about a 3 hour search for a last minute diner for a large group on a Saturday night, I stumbled across Washington Platform. Not only was I able to book a reservation painlessly using the Open Table App but the service and ambiance was great! The servers respectful and available and the atmosphere was accompanied by a great live jazz band. I'd recommend this place to anyone looking to have a nice, laid back night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off my dining listWilhelminaDined on 8/2/2014Been here several times but will be my last. Had reservation for Saturday. Knew it would be busy because of Lumenocity. Seated on time, then proceeded to sit for 25 minutes with no contact from any staff member, not even an offer of water. When waiter finally showed up, no apology, took our drink order and disappeared for another 15 minutes. When drinks finally arrived, one was wrong and then he tried to leave without taking the food order. Food arrived another 25 minutes after that. My dish was bland, no real taste. Overall not agood experience.
- A great find for our grouplumenocitygoersDined on 8/2/2014We have dined there many times before, but for the other 8 in our party, it was their first visit. They all liked the convenient location, the food, and the service. Very happy , and would return without hesitation. Con:The restrooms needed to be expanded about 50%.Special Features:
- Disappointed on 2nd visitWelshgirlDined on 8/1/2014The prices were too high for the over all quality of the good and restaurant. The food was just OK. There was some kind of a brown bug crawling on our table which the waitress swatted off and the jazz music started 20 minutes late.
- The following 223 reviews are from the Washington Platform Saloon & Restaurant reviews archive.
- Excellent venue for jazzOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014I've eaten here before and always enjoyed it - it's a cool spot, and everyone is very friendly. We enjoyed the oysters on the half shell; I had the salmon, and it was good but didn't particularly distinguish itself. The main attraction was the music, and it was wonderful - Washington Platform is a really great place to hear music, and they've done a truly outstanding job supporting local jazz. If you want to listen to the best that Cincinnati has to offer, head on over!Special Features:
- Road Kill is Delicious!GretchenVIPDined on 7/19/2014The road kill menu is fun! We had turtle, alligator, duck and rabbit! Fun dinner!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing....yumyum1971Dined on 7/19/2014Went here wanting to try something new and unique or different. Upon arrival although it wasn't at all busy the staff seemed confused. It took a very long time to place our order and they were out of a couple of the wines as well as dinner entrees that we wanted. Service was terrible and not attentive at all, very scatterbrained. He did try to make up for it by buying us dessert which was awful anyway. The food was not pleasant to look at and quite salty overall. We won't be coming back. The ambience is very dated and needs a major facelift. Not an enjoyable experience.
- a nice bite before hitting the townchugDined on 7/12/2014Great little place. Nice and quiet. Waitress very sweet and knowledgeable. Helped me decide what to get. Had crab quesadilla for an app and it was amazeballs. Wish it was a little bigger. Had crabcake dinner. The remoulade sauce was great. My boo had the shrimp and andouille sandwich, he was so happy and enjoyed it. Cute little gem. Not crowded. Tables are on the smaller side but perfect for the 2 of us. Would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.