Washington Market Tavern
41 Murray Street
New York, NY 10007Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Washington Market Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.washingtonmarkettavern.com/
- Phone: (646) 964-4860
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday 11:00am - 3:00pm
Monday to Saturday 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Aksel Theilkuhl
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Washington Market Tavern
Located in the bustling heart of Tribeca, Washington Market Tavern is a restaurant for the neighborhood, where regulars and new visitors alike can delight in shareable plates and a unique artisanal cocktail program. A strong focus on fresh, market-driven ingredients means that the menu will evolve with the seasons, ensuring that there will always be a reason to see what is new at Washington Market Tavern.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Washington Market Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (12)vibrant bar scene (7)good for groups (5)notable wine list (4)hot spot (3)special occasion (2)late-night find (2)romantic (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great space and good food.Live2DineVIPDined on 11/7/2014I walked in thinking bar scene but it's really a nice restaurant with a young crowd that sits at the bar. Perhaps it's the long bar and the word "tavern" in the name but I talked to the owner, who kindly greeted us while we dined, and he's just a nice family guy trying to bring good food to the nabe. He'a not new to Tribeca as he is an experienced restaurant owner and owns another well-established restaurant in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely going backTwotutorDined on 11/4/2014The food was delicious and the portions were great. Service was wonderful - they were helpful, very nice and attentive and didn't come over to ask you how things were when you had food in your mouth - like most places do. The only things I didn't like (but most restaurants are like this nowadays) is the lack of lighting - I can't read a menu or see what I'm eating with just a small votive candle on the table and the music was much too loud. Had to yell at the person I was sitting with to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ughtribecanVIPDined on 10/30/2014awful food, awful service. why cant anyone get it right on murray street.
- Underwhelming at bestEuroincVIPDined on 10/17/2014Nice looking, if rather sterile space. Walking into the bar area the music was blasting so we asked to be seated in the rear away from the noise. We were given the wine list but as most of the wines on it were not available I am not sure why they bothered. The food was OK, but took a long time, which was odd as the place was empty. Service was very poor as well despite the lack of other customers. This place needs to decide what it wants to be. It started out as something higher end and expensive, but that was quickly changed to the undefinable beast it is today. Oh and btw If you ask for a glass of red in a restaurant that does not have an entree priced at more than $18 you do not expect it to cost $24 so check the prices
- Wash Mkt Tvn - DisappointingnsbtDined on 10/11/2014Service was bad. Food was good. Menu small and a lot of menu items were not available. Was not worth the price. Expected more. Will not go back.Special Features:
- Terrible FoodgothamgourmetVIPDined on 9/19/2014I felt like I was eating in a hotel that tries too hard in Oklahoma City. Pasta was an inedible sodium bomb. Fried egg appetizer came in a gross brown sauce. Burger delivered to my son was, in a word, horrible. Fries were passable at best. Poor selection of gin behind the bar.
- Good food but unevenfglickDined on 9/15/2014This new restaurant has the potential to turn into something really good or totally flop. They told us their signature dish was unavailable about 15 minutes after we had ordered it. Our friends ordered the cauliflower appetizer, delicious and large. We ordered the smoked salmon which was good. For dinner our friends received beautiful presentations of duck & chicken with several accompaniments. We received a disturbingly tiny piece of striped bass with a few mushrooms underneath. Couldn't they add some vegetables alongside? For dessert we had the pot de creme, (very nice) & the late summer squash cake. It was tasty but really a teaspoon of ice-cream? They have to improve their portion sizes. Also, apparently no one thought to buy tea!Special Features:
- Washington Market TavernLion26KingVIPDined on 9/12/2014It's wonderful to see a really run-down block in downtown Manhattan come up so fast and Washington Market Tavern is instrumental in that improvement. For full write-up go to www.celluloidclub.blogspot.com.Special Features:
- Tribeca New FindTycarterVIPDined on 9/8/2014Love Tribeca, love this place. Staff was great food was amazingSpecial Features:
- Foodies delightWorldmuncherVIPDined on 8/30/2014From start to finish, an amazing experience! I recommend restaurants daily to guests at various hotels in the city and so I am very familiar with restaurants, lounges, bars, etc. In saying that I would definitely put Washington Market Tavern up there with the best of them for a great dining experience. The wait staff is very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful throughout your entire time there. The restaurant itself has a very rustic ambience with couches and stools as varied seating options. The bar is set up to accommodate many people who may just want to pop in for a drink and they also host a lounge downstairs with another bar area and plush couch seating. The food is fresh, the presentation is flawless and the taste is to return for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite ready for prime time.sidyVIPDined on 8/27/2014Appetizers were much much better than main courses. Amish chicken was dry and tasteless. Companions ordered duck and were also not ecstatic. Drinks were a disaster. Straight up scotch with ice on side was delivered with ice and had to be replaced. Gin martini of companion had very little gin. Complaint was answered with a laugh. Expresso served with unheated cold cup and hence was cold. Didn't bother to complain about it.
- Fine newcomer in the CityWannesDined on 8/25/2014Travelling back to New York after 2 years, we noticed that the south of Manhattan more and more becomes a vibrant scene with nice new restaurants and bars. We were pleasantly surprised at Washington Market Tavern: beautiful setting, friendly service and good food. We went on a Monday around 7PM and some tables remained unoccupied that evening. Maybe it is because the restaurant is brand new and not known yet or because people wait to hear or read about it. Anyhow don't hesitate, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new place downtownEra101Dined on 8/21/2014I had been in Washington Market Tavern for cocktails twice since their opening and was eager to have dinner as well. I was impressed with their cocktail list and enjoyed a few different libations. I was even more impressed with dinner. Although the menu is light on choices everything we had was wonderful: well presented and delicious. Entrees tried: Local Striped Bass, Main Lobster, River Salmon and the Amish Chicken. Each was great. For appetizers we shared the cauliflower, tiny veggie crudite, beet salad and a marvelous Wild Mushrooms & Toast. Shared dessert: butter cake and chocolate mousse. No one had any complaints about the food or service. Wait staff attentive and bar staff friendly. We will return with others.Special Features:
- Great addition to the neighborhood!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/7/2014Arguably the best and most creative food in tribeca. And killer cocktails too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific new spot!JoshVIPDined on 8/5/2014Was pretty surprised that we could get a table considering it just opened and there was a considerable amount of hype. That said, it absolutely lived up to expectations. The carrots were absolutely phenomenal, prepared I believe nine different ways, covering the entire spectrum of flavor, texture, and consistency one could conceivably derive from, well, a carrot. The mushroom toast was also delicious, and the mushroom sausage may as well have been beef, considering the flavor and taste (fantastic, by the way.) The lobster and strip steak were also great, if perhaps a bit small portion-wise, but the presentation was beautiful. Definitely planning on returning.Special Features:
- Misplaced food order.JustOpenedGuyDined on 8/2/2014I chose to have dinner at WMT because I understood it had just opened; trying new restaurants is much fun. Alas, our food order was apparently misplaced, even after the bartender assured us twice that he had checked on the order. So, almost an hour waiting for appetizers, and no food appetizers appeared. No manager came over to our seats at the bar to apologize. Upon arrival, I was willing to ignore the smell of fresh paint, but the nonappearance of food left an unpleasant memory. Friend and I cancelled the order and went to Tribeca Grill, which was delicious.
- The following 0 reviews are from the Washington Market Tavern reviews archive.